2011-2012 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any current Columbia-Bassett students on SDN?

Members don't see this ad.

Mmmcdowe, do you know much about the Columbia-Bassett program? Columbia has always been my favorite (also a hellova reach ;)), and one of my letter writers did her residency in Cooperstown and highly recommended applying to that program. I read through the website, but I wondered if you personally know anything as far as how much people enjoy that track.

Any current Columbia-Bassett students on SDN?

Post #38 in this thread. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It isn't a smp, but most people in it end up in a medical school. Personally, if you have all the education you need I wouldn't waste money on any smp type program. If you are that borderline that a program like that can edge you in, then there are probably better ways out there to build your application up.

You are right. I also heard/read that SMP can be lethal to your admission if you don't do well.

Right now, I'm just looking into what back-up options I have and hopefully I'll be able to organize all of them and make final decision later. Thanks mmcdowe!

Mmmcdowe, do you know much about the Columbia-Bassett program? Columbia has always been my favorite (also a hellova reach ;)), and one of my letter writers did her residency in Cooperstown and highly recommended applying to that program. I read through the website, but I wondered if you personally know anything as far as how much people enjoy that track.

It is an absolutely fabulous hospital system and a great program. I know a lot of the theoretical stuff but the first P&S class to actually be a part of the Basset program is a year under mine.

Thanks for all the info, Columbia is like my ultimate dream school (and so much of a reach that I have no clue why I'm even applying) but the MSAR has stated that Columbia does its best to accept a wide range of students, including those that people wouldn't think should apply given their stats. Hoping I become one of those people (well really hoping I don't have to bank on that by getting a good MCAT score)

Thanks for all the info, Columbia is like my ultimate dream school (and so much of a reach that I have no clue why I'm even applying) but the MSAR has stated that Columbia does its best to accept a wide range of students, including those that people wouldn't think should apply given their stats. Hoping I become one of those people (well really hoping I don't have to bank on that by getting a good MCAT score)
have hope.

It is an absolutely fabulous hospital system and a great program. I know a lot of the theoretical stuff but the first P&S class to actually be a part of the Basset program is a year under mine.

Probably a dumb questions, but can you apply to both P&S and the Basset program, or is it one or the other?

Bassett is harder to get into than normal md, so it isn't a easier path into columbia. You get considered on the same basis for normal md, though, so it isn't a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bassett is harder to get into than normal md, so it isn't a easier path into columbia. You get considered on the same basis for normal md, though, so it isn't a disadvantage.

thanks for clearing that up!

I don't see any secondary essays though...just me or is it not ready?

I don't see any secondary essays though...just me or is it not ready?

I see what you're saying and have to say I have no idea if it's ready or not. If anyone knows that would be pretty helpful!

I see what you're saying and have to say I have no idea if it's ready or not. If anyone knows that would be pretty helpful!

It appears ready. The essay is a text box in one portion of the application. I think it's the second or third section. 750 Characters on "What Aspects of the Columbia-Basset Program Appeal to You?"

What I can't tell is if that means you only answer if you are applying to Basset, or they mean what aspects of which program you are applying to appeal to you. I checked Columbia only and it still asked me the question that way.

It appears ready. The essay is a text box in one portion of the application. I think it's the second or third section. 750 Characters on "What Aspects of the Columbia-Basset Program Appeal to You?"

What I can't tell is if that means you only answer if you are applying to Basset, or they mean what aspects of which program you are applying to appeal to you. I checked Columbia only and it still asked me the question that way.
That's why I don't think it's ready...that should only be for the Bassett program.

Yes, that's Bassett only. You will be able to see the MD/PhD questions and the Bassett question(s), but there should be instructions to only fill them out if you are applying to that program.

So I've gathered that the second question: what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?* should be responded to by listing out your activities.

However, what is the 5th questions? :
What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*

Is it a rehash of what is written in the activities part of your AMCAs?

Thanks!

Yup, they're not quite ready. I went all the way through the application process, right up to print your application, and there were two essays on the final application for regular MD that were blank on my printed copy and nowhere to be found on the application. Looks to me like a technical error.

So I've gathered that the second question: what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?* should be responded to by listing out your activities.

Thanks!

It can be a rehash or it can include things that you didn't list.

I would guess if you didnt include it on amcas it wasn't that important

The secondary asks if LORs have been sent. If I click 'no', because I know they won't be sent until later in the summer, what will happen?

wow. I was employed 8 different times in college... and all but one didn't make it onto the amcas. haha. I just listed all my employment experiences in order, with dates (probably should have put total hour) and maybe a short description of what i did if it wasn't clear based on the title.

but as Nick said, go to the school specific forum. :D

wow. I was employed 8 different times in college... and all but one didn't make it onto the amcas. haha. I just listed all my employment experiences in order, with dates (probably should have put total hour) and maybe a short description of what i did if it wasn't clear based on the title.

I guess I didn't think my comment throuhg that much haha. I stand corrected

It was just a 5-week summer job that I did not list on my application. I was working in the hospital phone operators department; making lists and doing over things. Didn't even see the light of day in their office. Not a very important experience IMO - but it paid and it was fun.

and once again, I also really like making money. For one-year of college, I held 3 different jobs just to get about 15 hours a week of work. hahaha.

If the secondaries was truly up wouldn't we have gotten some notification?

Uh oh... I already submitted. I hope I didn't skip essays by accident if there were technical errors... =(

So should we fill out the secondary now or wait for a formal email probably tomorrow or next week?

So should we fill out the secondary now or wait for a formal email probably tomorrow or next week?

Oh no... I feel like you just confirmed that I was supposed to wait ... ugggghhhhh. Medical school applications are difficult.

Thanks!

You should really use the school-specific thread for these kinds of questions.

It can be a rehash or it can include things that you didn't list.

I would guess if you didnt include it on amcas it wasn't that important

It was just a 5-week summer job that I did not list on my application. I was working in the hospital phone operators department; making lists and doing over things. Didn't even see the light of day in their office. Not a very important experience IMO - but it paid and it was fun.

and once again, I also really like making money. For one-year of college, I held 3 different jobs just to get about 15 hours a week of work. hahaha.
The threads set up in the Allopathic School-Specific Discussions forum are the proper place to discuss school-specific issues. Merging with the 2011-2012 Columbia Thread.

I emailed the admissions office today to ask about the secondary confusion with the "missing" essays. To which they replied with:

All applicants are invited to fill out our secondary. Please tell me what glitches are you finding? Our application should be up and is running fine. We appreciate your time.

I emailed back and asked about the specific essay question and am still waiting to hear back.

Should we just wait to officially hear from the school before filling it out?

I emailed the admissions office today to ask about the secondary confusion with the "missing" essays. To which they replied with:

All applicants are invited to fill out our secondary. Please tell me what glitches are you finding? Our application should be up and is running fine. We appreciate your time.

I emailed back and asked about the specific essay question and am still waiting to hear back.

Should we just wait to officially hear from the school before filling it out?

I'm waiting. If no one can actually find the essay portion of the application, then they have tech issues. The app is farmed out to a third party anyway, and I'm guessing that's why it's taking time to get back to you and the initial response from the office was "What? It's working. What?"
Every applicant is in the same boat. I'm sure the office will get back to you soon. Just PLEASE do all of us a favor and post the reply here. Otherwise their office will rapidly be overwhelmed with SDN'rs asking... "Uh... where are the essays?" :cool:

The only essay I see is the one for the basset program. All functions are working correctly. Do you think that's the only essay this year?? :)

Is any one else seeing this?

I am applying for admission to the MD & Bassett program
I am applying to the MD-PhD Program
I am applying to the Columbia-Bassett Program

I chose option number 1, but I only want to be considered for the regular MD program at Columbia. I guess I will state this if I get an interview, but my husband cannot drive due to his eyesight, and as much as I would love to be a part of the new, innovative program, living in a rural area of New York would not suit us well. We need the awesome public transportation of NYC! So do you all think if I choose option 1, I will be considered for regular MD program only?

Is any one else seeing this?

I am applying for admission to the MD & Bassett program
I am applying to the MD-PhD Program
I am applying to the Columbia-Bassett Program

I chose option number 1, but I only want to be considered for the regular MD program at Columbia. I guess I will state this if I get an interview, but my husband cannot drive due to his eyesight, and as much as I would love to be a part of the new, innovative program, living in a rural area of New York would not suit us well. We need the awesome public transportation of NYC! So do you all think if I choose option 1, I will be considered for regular MD program only?

I called admissions. The woman in the office said that they cannot see the application, but I was the second phone call of the morning about the lack of a 'Regular MD' option and the missing essays. She said she was going to get off the phone and call technical support herself to see what was going on. I'll update as soon as I know more.

^^ yes, I'm seeing the same thing, but I'm only applying to the MD program as well.

Still haven't gotten a reply. It must have been a bigger problem considering that they responded to my original email in a matter of minutes.

I think we can all feel good about the fact that we are part of a select group that is not waiting for the secondary to be sent out? We'll be at the top of their secondary pool for sure.

Still haven't gotten a reply. It must have been a bigger problem considering that they responded to my original email in a matter of minutes.

I think we can all feel good about the fact that we are part of a select group that is not waiting for the secondary to be sent out? We'll be at the top of their secondary pool for sure.

It shows interest, if nothing else. :)

Okay, I'm really confused. Do schools not send information stating that secondaries are out? Are we required to search for them ourselves?

Okay, I'm really confused. Do schools not send information stating that secondaries are out? Are we required to search for them ourselves?

No, schools should send you secondary information/invitations. Some people are just more aggressive than others searching them out. It shows interest, but I doubt it does much more than that.

The only essay I see is 'What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you?'.

Do you guys think there will be more general essays like the ones from last year's prompts?

The only essay I see is 'What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you?'.

Do you guys think there will be more general essays like the ones from last year's prompts?

There are two essays when you get to the end of the application and try to submit it. If you look at the PDF, there are, at least on mine, 2 essay questions. One asks you to talk about your three most meaningful EC's, and one asks what about Columbia P+S most appeals to you.

Admissions told me the application was shorter than last year, so these are probably the two essays we'll be expected to answer when the application is working. That is just a guess, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.