2011-2012 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just called Columbia and they said that they don't expect anything from AMCAS for at least 3 weeks and the Adcom isn't expected back to campus for another 6 weeks anyway so not to hurry.

This was unexpected for me as I thought AMCAS was forwarding our information to schools today.

Oh the wait!

Members don't see this ad.

I just called Columbia and they said that they don't expect anything from AMCAS for at least 3 weeks and the Adcom isn't expected back to campus for another 6 weeks anyway so not to hurry.

This was unexpected for me as I thought AMCAS was forwarding our information to schools today.

Oh the wait!

I believe AMCAS already is forwarding info to schools (GW already sent out secondaries to those who applied). What the schools choose to do with the info right now probably widely varies.

the program categories confused me too. they said they changed the app to cut out extraneous stuf.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI it looks like they fixed up the secondary. things look a little more like last year's app, but still fewer essays. there is also now an option to apply for "MD only". This might still be a work in progress (or not), but at least it's something to start working on. Also, there is only space for 750 characters for question 2. This seems too short, no?

1. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? Please briefly discuss no more than three that have been most meaningful to you. Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

2. What aspects of P and S are most interesting to you?

3. What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you? Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

f you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.

FYI it looks like they fixed up the secondary. things look a little more like last year's app, but still fewer essays. there is also now an option to apply for "MD only". This might still be a work in progress (or not), but at least it's something to start working on. Also, there is only space for 750 characters for question 2. This seems too short, no?

I'd say they tried. I finished my essays and went to preview the PDF they let you look at before you submit, and it wasn't showing one of my essays. It saved fine everywhere else, just didn't show on the final PDF. I contacted tech support and will post when I get a response/ it's fixed.

Anyone else having this problem?

Is anyone else not allowed to copy and paste from a word document?

Also, are you guys really going to submit or wait for the invitation from Columbia?

Is anyone else not allowed to copy and paste from a word document?

Also, are you guys really going to submit or wait for the invitation from Columbia?

At the rate we seem to be having technical issues, invitations may show up before we can correctly submit anyway. To be honest, I haven't made up my mind. Everyone gets secondary invites anyway, so I'm currently leaning toward submitting when I'm finished with the app regardless of invite. Wait and see, I guess.

1. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage? Please briefly discuss no more than three that have been most meaningful to you. Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

2. What aspects of P and S are most interesting to you?

3. What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you? Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

f you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.

thanks for posting, gonna start drafting this one soon

which essays do we need to write if we're doing MD w/o columbia bassett?

which essays do we need to write if we're doing MD w/o columbia bassett?

You see, there in lies the mystery of it all. The way it is now everyone is seeing the same three essays regardless of their selection.

That's why I think I'm going to wait for the official email. To make sure all of the kinks are out. Or do we take the risk and potentially hit the admissions desk first. Someone needs to call and just ask how many essays are supposed to be on the secondary.

Bit the bullet and submitted the secondary. But then this is what I received via email:

Dear willthebrave:

Thank you for choosing to apply to Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons.
You have successfully submitted your application for the first year medical school class which will enter in August 2011.

Sincerely,

Columbia U College of Physicians & Surgeons Admissions Office

Let's hope this is just an overlooked piece from last year's?

So does "collegiate extracurricular activities" mean academic ECs? Like research or tutoring on campus?

Or does it mean anything I did during college? Like IM sports?

Hoping for some clarification...

Members don't see this ad :)
So does "collegiate extracurricular activities" mean academic ECs? Like research or tutoring on campus?

Or does it mean anything I did during college? Like IM sports?

Hoping for some clarification...

probably anything, I'll let mmmcdowe confirm this though

this is so dumb...it's literally asking us to repeat our AMCAS BS...
do you think it'll be weird if we pick a different "meaningful" activity than that on our AMCAS?

my 2nd essay won't show up when I preview my application...and can we email them our picture? the PDF file says to email it, whereas the rest of the application says to snail mail it.

So for the first question, are you guys simply restating what you put on your primary applications but in a more abbreviated form?

I put in two different ones...this application is really weird

yeah i put in two different ones relative to my primary app and kept 1 of them

BlockM, I'm curious: is there a reason those aren't on your amcas app if they are most meaningful?

and is the general consensus to put all activities ("collegiate" or otherwise) in list form and expand on the most meaningful?

I included them in my primary app, too, but I didn't include them as most meaningful. On my primary app, two of my most meaningful activities were jobs I held while in college so I decided I'd put my next most meaningful activities that were actually school-related for the secondary. I haven't submitted yet, so I might change that. What do you guys think?

and is the general consensus to put all activities ("collegiate" or otherwise) in list form and expand on the most meaningful?

I interpreted the prompt as asking to just list the 3 most meaningful. There's really no way I could list all 15 AND expand on the most meaningful. What do other people think?

I interpreted the prompt as asking to just list the 3 most meaningful. There's really no way I could list all 15 AND expand on the most meaningful. What do other people think?

This question is pretty redundant. I'm listing the most meaningful of my 15, then expanding on the three that are especially meaningful. Putting down all 15 takes up too many characters.

Bit the bullet and submitted the secondary. But then this is what I received via email:

Dear willthebrave:

Thank you for choosing to apply to Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons.
You have successfully submitted your application for the first year medical school class which will enter in August 2011.

Sincerely,

Columbia U College of Physicians & Surgeons Admissions Office

Let's hope this is just an overlooked piece from last year's?

Is there a consensus on if Columbia's sysadmin has stopped playing WoW and started to fix the secondary yet?

none of guys think it's a bit out there to be worrying/complaining about a secondary to which no one has been officially invited?

none of guys think it's a bit out there to be worrying/complaining about a secondary to which no one has been officially invited?

+1... they'll email everyone once they've worked out all their glitzes and are ready for us to apply. give the adcom some breathing room.. it'll all be ok, we're still wayy early. if you've got your essays ready, then you're golden- just send it off when they send you the link

For those interested, I emailed "Applyyourself" the tech support handling the application with the following question:

On the Columbia Medical School Application there are three short answer questions. As I am NOT applying to the columbia-basset program, I only filled out the first two. However, when I am preparing to submit my application and go to view the PDF of the complete application my second essay (2.Which aspects of P&S are most interesting to you?) is missing form the PDF.
What should I do to ensure that my complete application is submitted?

And received the following reply:

Thank you for your message. Please remember that the PDF preview is an unofficial document and usually not used by the institution. They will pull all of your answers directly from the application, into their databases. You can feel confident that your information will reach them correctly as long as the answers in the online form have been completed. We have contacted the institution regarding updating the PDF mapping and the changes should be made shortly. If your online form is due shortly, you may want to check the pages of your form carefully before you submit it to ensure that your answers were saved properly.

We apologize for any inconvenience this is causing you. Let us know if we can help further.

For the first question, I think the feeling we all feel is that since med school applications are such a big deal (we've been preparing for them for such a long time) we can't imagine that this question is so straightforward. It doesn't make sense to (imo) to say that 3 things are very meaningful one day, and choose three other things the next week! Did you suddenly change your mind or something? I'm just going to list the things in the requested format and then write a couple of sentences for the more meaningful ones. Also, I might group some things together like I T.A'd for bio and chem, but I will just put Undergraduate teaching assistant to make it more fluid. What do you guys think?

Just got an email that they didn't get my answer to question number two because of a glitch--emailed it to them and it should all be good now.

I got an email from Columbia but I didn't apply to this school...Does this happen to anyone else?
Here is the email:

Dear Student, Congratulations on your academic achievements and your decision to pursue a career in medicine. We are well aware of the hard work that has gone into your preparation for medical school. The years ahead will be both challenging and exciting. Your medical school decision is important. On behalf of the Office Diversity, I would like to extend to you an invitation to apply to Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons. Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons was established in 1787 and granted the first medical degree in the American colonies. In 1928, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center became the world’s first academic medical center. Today, Columbia remains a leader in medical education, biomedical research and exceptional medical care. Columbia is committed to a diverse student body and faculty. Student life is enriched by a myriad of student organizations, including groups that support the academic, social, cultural and spiritual needs of all of the diverse members of the student body and faculty. The Columbia P&S Club is the most active and comprehensive organization for extracurricular activities in American medical education. The club is governed by students and is an umbrella organization for more than 35 individual groups. Our students are also very active in the multicultural community that surrounds the medical center and throughout New York City. Once you become a member of the P&S family, your success becomes our priority. Students have access to numerous academic support programs including study skills instruction, the Student Success Network, student and faculty advisors, individual tutoring, Student Wellness Center, Student Learning Center and counseling services. Columbia offers a competitive package of financial assistance including merit and need-based scholarships, grants, low interest school loans, federal loans and alternative loans. Your experiences and accomplishments have undoubtedly enhanced your prospects for a career in medicine here at P&S. Getting to this point of achieving your dream demonstrates that you are ready to face the challenge. P&S students go on to lead extraordinary careers. We hope that the information included in this letter will provide you with a better understanding of what a P&S medical school opportunity entails. We look forward to assisting you with the application process and helping in any way that we can. Thank you for your interest in P&S and good luck.

Sincerely,
Hilda Hutcherson, MD
Associate Dean
Office of Diversity

I'm not sure what I should do with it?? Any suggestion? clearly my MCAT score is below the 10th percentile of their matriculant, so I don't really understand why they send me this email??

I'm not sure what I should do with it?? Any suggestion? clearly my MCAT score is below the 10th percentile of their matriculant, so I don't really understand why they send me this email??

they are interested in having you apply for some reason. you probably allowed release of your information when you took the mcat. are you URM? Many schools send out such emails.

I got an invite as well but my AMCAS app is sitting in "Ready for Review" status. Can I submit my secondary before my primary is verified?

With all due respect, what do you mean when you say Dr. Kandel "invented memory"?

Have you read St. Augustine, who wrote hundreds of years ago?

they are interested in having you apply for some reason. you probably allowed release of your information when you took the mcat. are you URM? Many schools send out such emails.

No, I'm not a URM...
So does this mean I should try to apply for the school?
I'm a little be hesistant because my mcat is only at average
I also got similar email from Case..
Do they send these kinds of email alot?
Usually what do people do about it? just ignored it? or do as it say and apply?
and yes, I did allow mcat to release my info.

Fair enough. I don't know the timeline for these things, and only know that it's advantageous to be on the early side of things. I'll wait.

For the record, the AdCom should still stop playing WoW.

I got an email this morning from Columbia ASKING me to apply. My stats are decent, but not really outstanding. (However, I AM from rural/medically underserved areas.)

Anyone know why they emailed?

I don't know if I should apply since I'm not really a competitive applicant and that's a lot of money to just toss out. Are they just trolling for extra $$$ for their admissions dept?

I got an email this morning from Columbia ASKING me to apply. My stats are decent, but not really outstanding. (However, I AM from rural/medically underserved areas.)

Anyone know why they emailed?

I don't know if I should apply since I'm not really a competitive applicant and that's a lot of money to just toss out. Are they just trolling for extra $$$ for their admissions dept?

See the ten or so posts above and also here

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=832257

And now for some non-technically related questions that were sent to me:

Hey, what percentage of your time is devoted to PBL and how is PBL at Columbia?

It varies from subject to subject. First semester is mostly lecture based for the basic sciences. After that, you typically have 1-2 hours of small group a day during the 2nd and 3rd semesters systems based science classes. Lecture is mornings from 8/9 until 12/1 depending on the block and if there are small group classes. Anatomy has 1 afternoon of small group a week as well as a day of dissection. The bioethics/clinical skills course that you take all three semesters is half lecture half small group essentially.

Is a research project required at Columbia? How much time are students given to do research? When do most people start to do research at Columbia.

No research is required, but a creative project related to medicine is done during your "4th year". It can be research, a public health project, a community service project, an international project, a sonnet about medicine, etc etc. I have a friend writing a philosophy of medicine treatise during the time allotted. Many people never do research, many people do some during their 1st summer (everyone gets funding from somewhere as long as you apply). I personally started research during my first semester and have continued it in some form or another throughout my time here. 20% of the class takes a year off to do research and another 20% takes time off for a second degree.

Is there a formal program that will allow students to pursue their interest in music (like Cornell's Music and Medicine program) or do students have to join one of the P&S clubs to engage in musical activities?

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by formal. I would consider the Musicians guild a formal organization with faculty and student participation. There are a number of small groups within the guild that meet regularly. There are also several bands that perform at our variety shows (usually every month or every other month). There is a pit orchestra that plays during our musicals in the Fall. You are also allowed to take up to 2 free classes a semester at any Columbia school, including the music school. I suppose you could take one of their "class orchestras", but most people who do music down at the undergrad campus just take regular classes.

Finally, what would you say Columbia is known for? If Columbia had a weakness, what would it be?

Columbia is known for neuro, neurosurgery, psych, cardiology/transplant surgery, nephrology, and a history of graduating strong clinicians in all fields. We are also known for sending a lot of students into surgical subspecialties, but I think that has more to do with student interest than any intrinsic quality of Columbia other than all students rotate through a week or two weeks of all of the major surgical subs (Internal medicine is still the #1 specialty that people go into). Columbia's weakness would probably be cited as being in Washington Heights rather than one of the more luxurious NYC neighborhoods. I personally like it up here, but then again I studied Latin dance in college. In the past, Columbia hasn't sent a lot of people into family medicine, but that's changed in recent years with certain initiatives, especially now that we have the Bassett program.

With all due respect, what do you mean when you say Dr. Kandel "invented memory"?

Have you read St. Augustine, who wrote hundreds of years ago?

Google "LTP, Aplysia Californica, and Dr.Eric Kandel" :). I love being a neuroscience major...

No, I'm not a URM...
So does this mean I should try to apply for the school?
I'm a little be hesistant because my mcat is only at average
I also got similar email from Case..
Do they send these kinds of email alot?
Usually what do people do about it? just ignored it? or do as it say and apply?
and yes, I did allow mcat to release my info.

Did you identify yourself in the MED-mar program when signing up for the MCAT? If you are not a URM or economically disadvantaged student then you shouldn't have. I received those same e-mails from Case and Columbia, but that's because of the MED-mar designation. The e-mails certainly weren't sent for my 32Q MCAT, which is well below both Case and Columbia's averages.

I still haven't received an official invite from Columbia to fill out the secondary. Should I wait to submit after I get the email?

Hmm...I think it seems to make more sense if the first question on the secondary really does mean "collegiate" in the sense of activities that are associated with your university given what mmmcdowe said earlier about Columbia being well known for its emphasis on outside activities and the listing of student clubs. In my case that would mean the 3 activities I list could be different from the AMCAS since the AMCAS activities I marked weren't "collegiate". But then mmmcdowe also said it could be anything...

Are you all mailing a photo or emailing one?

Anyone email a photo and receive confirmation that their application was complete?

Are you all mailing a photo or emailing one?

Anyone email a photo and receive confirmation that their application was complete?
I'm going to e-mail since the form you are supposed to mail it with says to use e-mail.

Have any of you been officially invited that aren't URM or disadvantaged? I got that e-mail last week from the Office of Diversity asking me to apply, and I just finished all of the secondary. I'm not sure if I am supposed to submit...

Also, anyone else applying Bassett with me? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.