2011-2012 Georgetown Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to everyone who were accepted!

Can you all please post your GPA and MCAT scores?
Again, congrats all!

Hope you're all celebrating it this weekend.

Members don't see this ad.

Also accepted off the CAP! 3.75 cum and sci gpa, 33Q. Interviewed 10/26, placed on the CAP 12/20, sent my first LOI that day, my second LOI on 1/20 (I was right on top of it lol), and got the status update email 2/17 at exactly 1:00 am!!! Woo!!! Good luck to you all!!!

Anyone know how files are reviewed for acceptance off CAP (in what order, etc)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

I'm making a trip to DC during spring break to see a friend. I also thought a visit to GU would be interesting.

I know they don't give tours, and they suggest a self guided tour using a downloadable map of the campus.

Any suggestions of sights to see and places to visit on the GU/ GU SOM campus?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hey Everyone!

I'm making a trip to DC during spring break to see a friend. I also thought a visit to GU would be interesting.

I know they don't give tours, and they suggest a self guided tour using a downloadable map of the campus.

Any suggestions of sights to see and places to visit on the GU/ GU SOM campus?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Visit Jack! I haven't been able to, but apparently he's in the Jesuit dorms somewhere. You can email the Jack Crew to set it up.

Visit Jack! I haven't been able to, but apparently he's in the Jesuit dorms somewhere. You can email the Jack Crew to set it up.

He either stays in the Jesuit Residence or in New South Hall (a freshman dorm) with Father Steck. Of course you can always find him at sports games. :D Especially basketball! He's got a Facebook page and updates which games he'll be attending.

haha! that's a great idea. thanks tilton.

are there also local spots/pubs/bars/eateries that grad/med students hang out?

any favorites of current students there?

thanks again!

haha! that's a great idea. thanks tilton.

are there also local spots/pubs/bars/eateries that grad/med students hang out?

any favorites of current students there?

thanks again!

Hey Robostep,
I'm not a huge bar person, but lots of people go to the Tombs (undergrads mostly, but they have a trivia night!) The M street area has lots of eateries that are fun and unique. I like The Bayou, and they have live music + Po boys. Surfside is up Wisconsin, and is pretty popular for fish tacos and such. I would suggest heading downtown and seeing the monuments and the Smithsonian museums if you haven't seen them before. If you are coming over spring break, cherry blossoms will be out and it will be gorgeous, so definitely try to check out the tidal basin, but make sure you bring your anti-histamines! DC is notorious for causing allergies in the spring time due to all of our gorgeous flowers!

Hey Robostep,
I'm not a huge bar person, but lots of people go to the Tombs (undergrads mostly, but they have a trivia night!) The M street area has lots of eateries that are fun and unique. I like The Bayou, and they have live music + Po boys. Surfside is up Wisconsin, and is pretty popular for fish tacos and such. I would suggest heading downtown and seeing the monuments and the Smithsonian museums if you haven't seen them before. If you are coming over spring break, cherry blossoms will be out and it will be gorgeous, so definitely try to check out the tidal basin, but make sure you bring your anti-histamines! DC is notorious for causing allergies in the spring time due to all of our gorgeous flowers!

Comoroa! Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm going early March on a weekend. I asked the admissions office if they gave tours, but they replied saying they don't. So, my friends and I our planning our own self guided tour.

We'll be sure to check out the places you mentioned!

Looking forward to 2nd look day! I'm starting to search for housing. Let's get a facebook group going too

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how often they pull people of CAP? Is it like once a month or once every couple of weeks or completely random??

The admissions committee meets every other Thursday, in which case decisions won't be released until next week, correct?

Anyone know how often they pull people of CAP? Is it like once a month or once every couple of weeks or completely random??

Apparently it has nothing to do with when the committee meets. Last year they didn't pull people again until later in April despite the fact that Dr. Lauerman apparently reviews CAP 2x a month. Not sure why he reviews and waits to pull people...

For those who were accepted, how long did it take for your packet to arrive in the mail?

If we've been accepted, are we supposed to do anything to accept their offer? Give a deposit? Sign a letter? Or will that all come later?

If we've been accepted, are we supposed to do anything to accept their offer? Give a deposit? Sign a letter? Or will that all come later?

I was accepted in November and didn't have to do anything. I am still considered an "accepted student" and getting all e-mails from the school. I'm about 90% sure that you don't have to do a thing yet. Or at least I hope ;)

So I've started the housing search and it's downright depressing!! I see a lot of single rooms available, but my husband and I need a little more space than that, especially considering that we've got a whole apartment's worth of furnishings! Any suggestions, maybe from married students on the thread?? Thanks!

So I've started the housing search and it's downright depressing!! I see a lot of single rooms available, but my husband and I need a little more space than that, especially considering that we've got a whole apartment's worth of furnishings! Any suggestions, maybe from married students on the thread?? Thanks!

Try to find a place close to the Metro in northern Virginia, like in Alexandria or Fairfax. More space for less. If you're married and need space, I wouldn't look anywhere on Georgetown.

Try to find a place close to the Metro in northern Virginia, like in Alexandria or Fairfax. More space for less. If you're married and need space, I wouldn't look anywhere on Georgetown.

Thanks for the advice. Of course I would have loved to live in gtown, but I figured it wasn't a likely option.

Thanks for the advice. Of course I would have loved to live in gtown, but I figured it wasn't a likely option.

If you have a million spare dollars you could get a nice, but small condo in Georgetown :D

If you have a million spare dollars you could get a nice, but small condo in Georgetown :D

I really want my own place, like a studio apartment...is anything like that even available near georgetown at a reasonable price?

Try one of the nearby DC neighborhoods like Glover Park, Foxhall, Dupont Circle, or Adams Morgan. Still not as big a place as you could get in VA but cheaper than Georgetown. DC has excellent public transportation that is quite safe for the most part.

I really want my own place, like a studio apartment...is anything like that even available near georgetown at a reasonable price?

In Georgetown proper you're probably looking at a minimum of $1200/month for such a place. Look in the other DC neighborhoods I mentioned above. :)

My husband and I live in a studio in Rosslyn, it's $1075/month. The complex isn't all that fancy, but there's an indoor gym (if you don't feel like going to Yates on campus) and an outdoor pool open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There's a shuttle 3 blocks away (GUTS bus) that goes from the Rosslyn Metro to GU, which runs every 5-10 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes in the evenings.

EDIT: Forgot to include name of complex! It's Riverplace.

Last edited:
In Georgetown proper you're probably looking at a minimum of $1200/month for such a place. Look in the other DC neighborhoods I mentioned above. :)

My husband and I live in a studio in Rosslyn, it's $1075/month. The complex isn't all that fancy, but there's an indoor gym (if you don't feel like going to Yates on campus) and an outdoor pool open from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There's a shuttle 3 blocks away (GUTS bus) that goes from the Rosslyn Metro to GU, which runs every 5-10 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes in the evenings.

EDIT: Forgot to include name of complex! It's Riverplace.

Thanks TMS for the info....I will look into it.

Jabber---Riverplace seems nice...almost too good to be true, is that the case or have you enjoyed your time there? I saw that they have 2 stuido floor plans, are you in the larger one? Has it been enough room for you and your husband?

has anybody been recently accepted? it seems like the first batch of CAP admits was the last piece of news of anyone who has gotten in.

Hi everyone,

I am pretty positive that I am Georgetown bound this fall (got my Duke rejection yesterday :( and that was the only thing potentially holding me back) and I am just hoping that some matriculated students can post some information about what made them choose Georgetown and what they love about Georgetown to start the excitement for the Georgetown class of 2016! Thanks in advance :)

Jabber---Riverplace seems nice...almost too good to be true, is that the case or have you enjoyed your time there? I saw that they have 2 stuido floor plans, are you in the larger one? Has it been enough room for you and your husband?[/QUOTE]

Hey there-- sorry, I've been off the forums for a little while. My husband & I are in the smaller studio; 383 sq ft is a tight fit for two people but there are larger places in the same building. A few of our neighbors upgraded to larger places closer to Iwo Jima.

The small size can get a little annoying, but we're pretty happy here in general. Parking is a pain unless you want to pay for it-- we park about half a mile away on a residential street. The gym and pool are nice, and the walk to Metro/GUTS bus is hard to beat for the price. There's a Safeway up the street but it's a little pricey, so we drive a few miles out to get our groceries.

welcome to georgetown! get excited, bc its an awesome place to be for medical school :) :) :) :)

Any movement from the CAP lately? I sent in my second LOI to Mrs. Sullivan about two weeks ago, and she said that Dr. Lauerman should be going back into the pool sometime in March...:confused:

Hey guys I have been looking for housing and I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful, there a bunch of "Scam deals" on cragislist! I saw this outrageous one yesterday. Hopefully at second look we will hear more about housing/roommates.

I interviewed on 2/27. One person told me that the committee would be acting on my application the third Thursday in March, which is next week on the 15th. But I was also told that I wouldn't hear back about a decision for at least 6, more likely 8 weeks.

Does this seem right? Why would it take so long to send me a decision if they are going to act next week?

Any movement from the CAP lately? I sent in my second LOI to Mrs. Sullivan about two weeks ago, and she said that Dr. Lauerman should be going back into the pool sometime in March...:confused:

when did you interview?
october/november interviewees CAPs were apparently reviewed. but i don't think there's been any updates on CAP since.
i interviewed in early december.

I interviewed late October... Hopefully they give October/November interviews another chance their next meeting.

were any of you applicants (accepted or not) post bac or SMP students?

anyone know how georgetown feels about post bac or SMP programs?

were any of you applicants (accepted or not) post bac or SMP students?

anyone know how georgetown feels about post bac or SMP programs?

I got on CAP as a postbac. No career change just a major with none of the prereqs.

Apparently CAP review is not by interview/CAP date. Everyone gets reviewed monthly -good and bad I suppose because if you were capped early then they didn't feel like taking you off last time. But you will be looked at again so you still have a chance.

I know that the thread already kind of talked about this. But I was wondering if anybody might know in what area most of the GU med students live and where they found their roommates. I'm not married or anything so I dont mind living in an apartment, I just wanted to live with/near other med students. Thanks!

I got on CAP as a postbac. No career change just a major with none of the prereqs.

Apparently CAP review is not by interview/CAP date. Everyone gets reviewed monthly -good and bad I suppose because if you were capped early then they didn't feel like taking you off last time. But you will be looked at again so you still have a chance.

hey tilton! thanks for reply. good info to know. i'm currently a postbac with not so great undergrad gpa, but great postbac gpa. wondering if a stellar MCAT score will make up for the undergrad gpa.

have you since been taken off CAP?

I know that the thread already kind of talked about this. But I was wondering if anybody might know in what area most of the GU med students live and where they found their roommates. I'm not married or anything so I dont mind living in an apartment, I just wanted to live with/near other med students. Thanks!

Most live either in Foxhall or in Glover Park. Some people live in Dupont or Rosslyn and take the GUTs. However, most people live near campus, and it is much more convenient. I would suggest looking around for deals near campus because saving money for a house further away has it's own problems. Many renters actually look for med students specifically so you can find nice places and good deals (and they may be hard to find at first looking around on craigslist).

Soon an accepted applicants social network should be opening up which is just for accepted students (you'll get an email inviting you). Some renters even post housing listings there. That's where most people seem to communicate and find roommates.

Got a call shortly ago from my interviewer (area code 703 in case you're like me and ignore most calls) regarding my decision. Interviewed 1/11.

:D

GL to those waiting for decisions from mid January.

Status
Not open for further replies.