2011-2012 Mayo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends got accepted here, class of 2015. Sounds like an AWESOME AWESOME program... would love to go to this school!

I would love to go too, and since we are among the first to post, we have a spot (according to the dean).

Congratz!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo students....Is this school as wonderfully awesome as it sounds on paper??

Some more specific questions:
How do you like having such a small class? How's Rochester? How do I get in?

I think we'd all really appreciate your input! :)

Applying as a dream school :love:. I would expect a short secondary if nothing changes from last year...

Mayo does not have a secondary, unless they change from past years. You send in your primary, Mayo reviews it, and determines whether to request LOR's from you. Once they have requested your LOR's and you send them, you are reviewed again for an interview spot.

I'll leave the other questions about the small class size, Rochester, etc., for current students who would be more qualified to answer. I will say that from what I've learned through the interview process and second look weekend that Mayo is as awesome as it sounds on paper. Financial aid is great, opportunities are unlimited practically, curriculum is great with integrated "off" time between course blocks....could go on and on.

This is the ultimate dream school! :D Let's all hope we get there!

The program sounds phenomenal. I read a statistic somewhere their faculty to student ratio was 12:1 and where other schools were 2:1 or 1:1.

It'd be nice to hear from students about some unique opportunities they've had.

The more I read about this school, the more unbelievably awesome it seems. I'm so excited!!:love:

Dream school as well! Even to just get an interview would thrill me to no end.

Heard this school does automatic screening based on your MCAT and GPA (i.e. if you don't have AB for MCAT and C.DF for GPA, then you won't get an interview regardless of other stats?)... not sure if that's true though...

Heard this school does automatic screening based on your MCAT and GPA (i.e. if you don't have AB for MCAT and C.DF for GPA, then you won't get an interview regardless of other stats?)... not sure if that's true though...

Yeah, it seems they pre-screen. If you get a request for money (secondary, but really there's no essay or anything to fill out other than forwarding your letters of recommendation) then they're interested in you and you'll most likely receive an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it seems they pre-screen. If you get a request for money (secondary, but really there's no essay or anything to fill out other than forwarding your letters of recommendation) then they're interested in you and you'll most likely receive an interview.

I'm not sure about a pre-sceen, but I do know that Mayo looks at MUCH more than MCAT and GPA. The second of half of your post is not exactly accurate. Everyone who applies gets a request for money, but this means nothing about your chances of interview. Once they receive your money, they begin to review your application (primarily activities) in deciding whether to request letters from you (you should not automatically send letters to them when you pay). Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews
~72 are offered acceptances (including from alternate list)

personal statement is not read until after LORs are received.

42 MD-only spots available.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about a pre-sceen, but I do know that Mayo looks at MUCH more than MCAT and GPA. The second of half of your post is not exactly accurate. Everyone who applies gets a request for money, but this means nothing about your chances of interview. Once they receive your money, they begin to review your application (primarily activities) in deciding whether to request letters from you (you should not automatically send letters to them when you pay). Here's some numbers that have been posted in previous years' threads:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews

Yes, true. Money request does not equal LOR request, and LOR request does not equal interview. Last year, I made it to the LOR request stage with a 3.9, 30M (including an 8 in verbal :thumbdown:). So if there is a screen before the money request, it is not overly high. According to someone who interviewed there last cycle, once you pass the GPA screen you "have the academic work horse" so numbers are not a factor from that point on, only ECs, PS, LOR, fit, etc. Not sure how this works tho. Considering how high their averages are, numbers must be in there somewhere.

This is my dream dream dreeeeeaaammmm school also... :love:

Last edited:
Are these LOR in addition to the LOR we send into AMCAS?

Mayo love! :love:

4000 apply
800 get LOR requests
250-300 get interviews

If they read the PS after the LOR request, how do they narrow down the original applicant pool to 800 applicants?

Mayo is a great school. I already assigned my letters via AMCAS to them. I hope they don't hold it against me.

I would give my firstborn child to get into Mayo. :( Is there any chance for those of us who can't cure cancer with our tears?

Applied here last year and got to the LOR stage with a 34R (9V, 12P, 13B) and 3.92 cGPA(3.91 sGPA). So hoping I can push it over the edge this year :)

Good luck all

Everything I read about Mayo I love. Here's hoping!!!

Man, it sure takes awhile for AMCAS to process... :(

Applied here last year and got to the LOR stage with a 34R (9V, 12P, 13B) and 3.92 cGPA(3.91 sGPA). So hoping I can push it over the edge this year :)

Good luck all

You're a reapplicant with those stats? :confused:

How can I guarantee acceptance from this school? Please PM the information, so it's kept secret.

Thanks,

-The acronym that scored me ~2 points on the MCAT

You're a reapplicant with those stats? :confused:

I applied rather late last year, not broadly enough and ECs were a bit weak :)

Hopefully all that is fixed and ready to go this time around!

Wow man hats off for persistence! I am surprised you didn't go anywhere else... You could have basically written your own Letter of Acceptance to a LOT of schools with those stats.

Good Luck this time around:luck:

Do you know how much they want to see research? Like for some schools it is almost a requirement but others are like "more whatever" about it...

In a very similar situation to yours. Reapplicant with a 33R (12,9,12) and 3.95cGPA/4.00sGPA

Cheers to a good cycle

man, this school is soooo cheap. that must be awesome to attend there!

I'd pay regular tuition to go to Mayo. The free-ness is an extra bonus. Mayo = :thumbup:

Just got the invite to pay them $100 to advance my application. Though the link isn't working :( . Anyone else have the same problem?

Hey JSU,

I have the same problem. The link is not working. Since it is not an isolated incident, I am sure that they will fix it soon!

Good luck!

Hey JSU,

I have the same problem. The link is not working. Since it is not an isolated incident, I am sure that they will fix it soon!

Good luck!

Good to know. I just sent them an email.

Good luck to you as well

Yup, have the same problem. Hope they look into it and send us another email with correct link. This seems like a good school. Good luck everyone!

Yup, have the same problem. Hope they look into it and send us another email with correct link. This seems like a good school. Good luck everyone!

I had the $100 waived so no link here. DREAM SCHOOOL LEHGO!

Yup, as per usual Mayo e-mail methods I get the e-mail at 2:32am haha.

They want my moneys! Well I say TAKE IT ALL! :)

Mayo wants my money!! I'd happily give it to them if the link was working.

New email came in at 10:04 EST. Payment submitted, 10:08!

Done and Done. Here's hoping for some Mayo in our future!:luck:

After reading through the last year's Mayo thread. It looks like we are all in for a bumpy ride.

Fee Request----> LoR Request------>Interview------>Acceptance

Fee Request submitted. Here's to a great wait!

Submitted. Did anyone receive a confirmation that their AMCAS ID has been matched to their payment?

Do you have to have an MCAT score to get the fee request? Or do they screen? I didn't receive one yet. :oops:

Fee Request Submitted. Hopefully they see something in my app to make my dream school become a reality. Good luck everyone!

Alright Mr. Mayo....you have my $100, now let's make something happen! :)

Ummmm...you said rather late?! How late was late?! Cuz...I'm worried that I'm going to be late...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.