2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the call! Have been waiting for this day for months. Now have a very difficult, fast decision to make, but for financial reasons am leaning strongly towards OSU. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

I think this may be a good year for those on the deferred/waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call! Have been waiting for this day for months. Now have a very difficult, fast decision to make, but for financial reasons am leaning strongly towards OSU. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

CONGRATS!!

Been dying to hear from OSU. Top choice without a doubt. At least it's looking like they will have a little bit of movement this year.

Ditto on the congrats.

has anyone actually been wait-listed or those still waiting to hear back in the deferred pool?

Those originally deferred now make up the waiting list

i have received no such notification. just checked medstar. still have the same deferred status and letter:

The Admissions Committee of The Ohio State University College of Medicine has completed a review of your credentials following your recent interview. At this time, we have decided to defer a final decision on your application until we have had the opportunity to review more applicants.
This decision indicates that while your application is considered competitive, we have a limited number of seats in our class and a large number of highly qualified candidates. As a result, we have decided to delay our final decision on your application until a later date.
As mentioned on your interview day, we make admission decisions on a rolling basis. Your application will be reviewed periodically to determine if the decision will be upgraded. We will notify you by e-mail when your status changes. Until that time, your status will remain the same. We ask for your patience as we work through our process. In the interim, feel free to update us on significant changes in your portfolio, such as an "A" grade in a challenging course, a research publication, etc.
Thank you for your continued interest in The Ohio State University College of Medicine.

i have received no such notification. just checked medstar. still have the same deferred status and letter:

The Admissions Committee of The Ohio State University College of Medicine has completed a review of your credentials following your recent interview. At this time, we have decided to defer a final decision on your application until we have had the opportunity to review more applicants.
This decision indicates that while your application is considered competitive, we have a limited number of seats in our class and a large number of highly qualified candidates. As a result, we have decided to delay our final decision on your application until a later date.
As mentioned on your interview day, we make admission decisions on a rolling basis. Your application will be reviewed periodically to determine if the decision will be upgraded. We will notify you by e-mail when your status changes. Until that time, your status will remain the same. We ask for your patience as we work through our process. In the interim, feel free to update us on significant changes in your portfolio, such as an "A" grade in a challenging course, a research publication, etc.
Thank you for your continued interest in The Ohio State University College of Medicine.

I'm pretty sure all of us deferred have the same status (I do too). If you call the admissions office they'll inform you that the deferred list was all transferred to the waiting list after 5/15.

deferred list and wait list is same pool

No worries, the waitlist is moving. Accepted!!

Did you find out by phone or status? My status is still deferred but I missed a call from a blocked number earlier. I think its probably wishful thinking. The med application process has made me paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you find out by phone or status? My status is still deferred but I missed a call from a blocked number earlier. I think its probably wishful thinking. The med application process has made me paranoid.

The calls I've been getting are from a 614 area code. I personally (I know you weren't asking me, sorry for butting in!) got an email acceptance a couple days ago asking me to call if I was still interested. My status page still said deferred, even for a little while after I called to talk to them. Hope that info is useful...best of luck!

The e-mail reminder about the biochem and anatomy pre-reqs made my heart skip a beat. I leave the country in a few hours for over a week (no access to e-mail or cell phone), so I was really hoping to hear before I left.

The e-mail reminder about the biochem and anatomy pre-reqs made my heart skip a beat. I leave the country in a few hours for over a week (no access to e-mail or cell phone), so I was really hoping to hear before I left.

Hey, you may want to give them a heads up about that just in case...or have a family member check your email this week. The email acceptance I got said I had to respond in 24 hours. I don't know what happens if you don't answer, but what an opportunity to potentially pass up...!

Found out by email and then called them. My status still says deferred.

Hey, you may want to give them a heads up about that just in case...or have a family member check your email this week. The email acceptance I got said I had to respond in 24 hours. I don't know what happens if you don't answer, but what an opportunity to potentially pass up...!

I already let them know. I will give someone access to my e-mail just in case, though.

Well.. I had almost made up my mind to become a Buckeye (still a wolverine inside). Then bam.. got acceptance from Pitt and have only few days to decide. I love OSU atmosphere. Hard decisions.. Still leaning towards OSU.

Well.. I had almost made up my mind to become a Buckeye (still a wolverine inside). Then bam.. got acceptance from Pitt and have only few days to decide. I love OSU atmosphere. Hard decisions.. Still leaning towards OSU.

I was accepted early this year and will be at OSU next year. I had a friend in a similar position - chose Pitt. I guess it depends on if you care more about the atmosphere or getting into really competitive residencies. Pitt is a very impressive school (top 20), while OSU has dropped in rankings recently. Not to say that OSU is a bad school, but its all relative.

So exciting for everyone getting accepted off the waitlist. I really hope I get called! Does anyone know how they go about re-reviewing applications? Do they do it by interview date or do you think they have some sort of ranking system (even though they claim the waitlist as a whole isn't ranked).

I have a feeling there's some sense of ranking, but not official. When I got the call, the lady told me they were re-reviewing applicants and I was at the top of the list so they wanted to offer me a spot.

All that is true, and OSU and Pitt actually get compared quite often by people who visit both places. I didn't apply to Pitt, so I can't speak from experience, but I've heard Pitt has a great atmosphere too.

Also, I don't think students at OSU have too difficult a time getting competitive residencies... all the tools you need are here. This year, we had 16 or 18 ppl match into Ortho, one of the more competitive residencies there is. Its very dependent on the individual, not as much on the school (at least not in the battle of OSU vs Pitt, school won't make a difference).

yep! 16 out of 16, OSU doesn't mess around. I was deciding between pitt and OSU myself, the pricetag on pitt was just way too much, I don't think there is an appreciable difference between the two in terms of education and clinical experience. But you will probably be in better shape at pitt bc of those hills :D

Officially in the class of 2016! Thank you to whoever withdrew their spot to open one up for me! :banana:

Accepted today off of the deferred list/waitlist. Got an email asking to respond within 24 hours (which I did). Online status still says deferred. Definitely attending. See everyone at orientation!

Accepted today by email! I'm withdrawing my acceptance though, so whoever is next in line should cross their fingers!

For the ciriculum this year, will students still be able to choose between the IP and ISP pathways, or is there just one universal ciriculum now?

For the ciriculum this year, will students still be able to choose between the IP and ISP pathways, or is there just one universal ciriculum now?

Just one universal curriculum. Speaking of which, it says the curriculum is "competency-based." Does that mean minimum pass requirements w/ honors going to a top percentage of the class?

Accepted today off of the deferred list/waitlist. Got an email asking to respond within 24 hours (which I did). Online status still says deferred. Definitely attending. See everyone at orientation!

Status switch to accepted this morning.

congrats to everyone who has made it off the waitlist thus far. it's encouraging to see a lot of you pop on the forum and let us know of your status changes.

i'm personally really hoping to hear from OSU and would gladly give up my other acceptance to attend here. i sent in a letter of intent early last month and feel like it may have been filed away and not really read, as it was after most acceptances were sent out last month and it was a little early for the current movement that's happening. does anyone have any advice on what to do? i'm not certain if i should just let it be or be more active in my pursuit of a seat here. it seems like the deferred/waitlist is officially unranked. sorry about the anxiety...just dying to get in here.

congrats to everyone who has made it off the waitlist thus far. it's encouraging to see a lot of you pop on the forum and let us know of your status changes.

i'm personally really hoping to hear from OSU and would gladly give up my other acceptance to attend here. i sent in a letter of intent early last month and feel like it may have been filed away and not really read, as it was after most acceptances were sent out last month and it was a little early for the current movement that's happening. does anyone have any advice on what to do? i'm not certain if i should just let it be or be more active in my pursuit of a seat here. it seems like the deferred/waitlist is officially unranked. sorry about the anxiety...just dying to get in here.

contact the office, let them know you have other acceptance (best if equal or better ranking than OSU), but would love to go to OSU instead, now is not the time to sit back while you see the waitlist moving, basically your last efforts to get in.

I just called the admissions office and Sharon said that they have about 225 people on the waitlist and that only 10 at a time are ranked and called but they have already put out calls for those they accepted and if they accept then the class is basically full. :scared:

She also said the people who were getting off the waitlist had MCAT scores of 35s lol

I sent in three separate letters with my third coming the day before my acceptance. I myself did not have an acceptance up until that point to leverage (I have been accepted elsewhere since, but have declined in favor of Ohio State).

Has anyone recieved their formal acceptance letters via regular mail? I was accepted last Tuesday, and my online status reflects my accepted status, but I still haven't recieved the formal letter.

Has anyone recieved their formal acceptance letters via regular mail? I was accepted last Tuesday, and my online status reflects my accepted status, but I still haven't recieved the formal letter.

I don't think u need to worry too much yet. I was accepted on the same day and haven't received my letter yet (although I am quite a ways from Ohio). I think Sharon just said it would arrive "sometime this week".

Just withdrew last night! Good luck to everyone still waiting/hoping!

I just got my letter yesterday and I love literally 2 minutes from meiling hall. It goes through a diff dept that writes up the letters hence the wait. ( I had asked if I could pick it up in person)

I got the call last Thursday and have accepted. I interviewed way back in November. I sent in a letter of intent last month, which might have helped. I got a 36 on the MCAT and have a 3.6. Cheers to my new classmates and best of luck to those who are still waiting! :woot:

Last edited:
Well.. this was the hardest decision. Withdrew today. Another spot became available. Good luck!

I think I just got your spot onecountry. Got the acceptance call this morning! :)

Just Got Accepted!!! I can't believe it. It has been a very long wait. Looking forward to seeing you all in the fall. Good luck to those still waiting. Don't give up hope. This was my first acceptance!! :soexcited:

I know sometimes its hard seeing all the loans you'll be piling up, but remember - you get in-state tuition after your first year here - so if you compare that to private or other out-of-state schools, that's like a 19k scholarship x 3 years. Not bad.

Can you elaborate on that please?

How a non-resident become eligible for in-state AFTER first year. I looked into the OSU guidelines, it insists on being employed and paying Ohio Taxes. A simple relocation (Driver License, Lease, Voter Registration changes) is not sufficient. One has to prove that one can support oneself (without Loans).

Is there a precedent? Since a non-resident pays like 17k on average as surcharge that can significantly reduce my loan burden.

What does one need to do? This is weighing on me whether to pursue the school or just turn the acceptance down.

One can not be an employee and also go to school, especially Med School.

Thanks

You have to financially support yourself for 12 months WITH federal loans. Loans are fine. We all have loans. Everyone gets in-state tuition - the financial aid dep't works very hard with us to make sure of it.

Contact the office early, the key is 12 months, it helps if you move to columbus at least a bit before school starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.