2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can go to buckeyelink and navigate through to find it. Mine is all loans. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I just withdrew my acceptance today. I absolutely loved Ohio State, but my heart belongs to another school. Good luck to all of the deferred applicants!:luck:

I know sometimes its hard seeing all the loans you'll be piling up, but remember - you get in-state tuition after your first year here - so if you compare that to private or other out-of-state schools, that's like a 19k scholarship x 3 years. Not bad.

Plus, Columbus has a pretty low cost of living, especially if you compare it to cities on the west coast or up in the northeast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else notice that the orientation materials are from last year?

I see what you're talking about. Hmm. Maybe someone should give them a heads up about this? It'd be good to know exactly when that white coat ceremony is so that I can let family know.

Hey everyone!

I just withdrew my acceptance today. I absolutely loved Ohio State, but my heart belongs to another school. Good luck to all of the deferred applicants!:luck:
Thanks Ironclad!!! Congrats on your acceptances to amazing schools! All the best at Hopkins!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Ironclad!!! Congrats on your acceptances to amazing schools! All the best at Hopkins!!!

Thanks for the kind words, Doc!

And you're absolutely welcome. OSU was my first acceptance, and I will never forget the call from Dr. Capers and the unbridled excitement I felt afterwards. While I will be heading off to Hopkins, OSU will hold a special place in my heart. It was difficult for me to let go of the acceptance, but I definitely hope it goes your way. :luck:

Anyone else notice that the orientation materials are from last year?

I asked the school about this and they said that they haven't yet uploaded the info for the 2012-2013 school year into the system. They said that the first day of orientation is August 6, which is when the white coat ceremony takes place.

Just withdrew my acceptance! Hope it (and the scholarship) goes to one of you! Good Luck :D

Would you pass up OSU if you got a full ride somewhere else?

Would you pass up OSU if you got a full ride somewhere else?

That question is too ambiguous for anyone to provide helpful feedback, but my generic answer is, "Yes".

Members don't see this ad :)
I was set on OSU but idk know.

Does "full-ride" mean tuition + living stipend? Any scholarships from Ohio State? If it's free Toledo vs. full-loans OSU, Toledo would look pretty attractive to me.

Full tuition and fees for 4 yrs...and no scholarships from OSU just a boat load of loans.

Full tuition and fees for 4 yrs...and no scholarships from OSU just a boat load of loans.

Faced with that particular choice, I would go with the scholarship. If you had at least some scholarship money from OSU, then it would be a different discussion. But as it stands, that's a huge difference in cost.

Does anybody have any information/opinions about the chances of a Letter of Intent swaying the admissions committee on a deferred/waitlisted candidate? I know people have asked this before, but couldn't find much of an answer.

Looks like some movement must be due soon..People on SDN are withdrawing, and I'm sure this is only a subset of candidates deciding to go elsewhere.

I'd probably take the full-ride... is it conditional on performance or guaranteed all four years?

Wildcat had some great points, but also, it will really help you out if you end up going into lower paying fields, like FP or Peds. Just food for thought.

Last edited:
I'd take the full ride. I was in a similar situation for undergrad and am really glad I went with the institution that had the better aid. No one holds it against you.

The only reason I'd not go with the full ride is if Toledo is not strong in a specialty you have your heart set on and osu is. Even then, it's likely to change.

It was difficult to do because Ohio State seemed like such a great school, but I just withdrew. Good luck to those still waiting!

I turned down Wright State full ride + fees for OSU. I mean it depends on what you want to do and which school is good at it. If Toledo and OSU are pretty much equal for what you want to go into (ie primary care, internal med etc) then heck yeah go there, OSU's not some super rockstar school that you would decline such a deal for. But it is pretty great :)

Last edited:
I turned down Wright State full ride + fees for OSU. I mean it depends on what you want to do and which school is good at it. If Toledo and OSU are pretty much equal for what you want to go into (ie primary care, internal med etc) then heck yeah go there, OSU's not some super rockstar school that you would decline such a deal for. But it is pretty great :)

What specialties do you see OSU as having a particular strength in?

What specialties do you see OSU as having a particular strength in?

Surgical subspecialties, Emergency. I'm not saying they are the best in these areas, but if you ask program directors from other hospital systems, they are very confident about the quality resident they will be getting when they match an OSU graduate. Without looking at your application, the name will at least get you onto equal playing field with any other school around the country in these areas (which I could not say with Wright State, so that was my decision).

Does anybody have any information/opinions about the chances of a Letter of Intent swaying the admissions committee on a deferred/waitlisted candidate? I know people have asked this before, but couldn't find much of an answer.

Looks like some movement must be due soon..People on SDN are withdrawing, and I'm sure this is only a subset of candidates deciding to go elsewhere.

It's my opinion that it is always worth it to write a Letter of Intent if you are 100% sure you want to attend the school. No one knows how much of a difference these things make but a well composed letter definitely doesn't hurt. Write it!

It's my opinion that it is always worth it to write a Letter of Intent if you are 100% sure you want to attend the school. No one knows how much of a difference these things make but a well composed letter definitely doesn't hurt. Write it!

Thanks for your advice, Tikvah.

Does anybody know the timeframe for the new curriculum? My notes from when I came to interview said 18 months for the first pre-clinical work, followed by 12 months of clinical rotations and 18 months of selective/elective work, suggesting that rotations could begin as early as January or February of the second year. But I also had written down that USMLE Step 1 is taken in June after the second year, which would suggest that rotations start after that. Some schools have 1-1.5 years of pre-clinical work, which I think would be really nice, but I haven't heard back after a couple of emails to people at OSU to find out. Anybody know?

Does anybody know the timeframe for the new curriculum? My notes from when I came to interview said 18 months for the first pre-clinical work, followed by 12 months of clinical rotations and 18 months of selective/elective work, suggesting that rotations could begin as early as January or February of the second year. But I also had written down that USMLE Step 1 is taken in June after the second year, which would suggest that rotations start after that. Some schools have 1-1.5 years of pre-clinical work, which I think would be really nice, but I haven't heard back after a couple of emails to people at OSU to find out. Anybody know?

18 months is talking about actual class time, if you took out winter, spring and summer breaks that would make first year somewhere around 9-10 months, and 2nd year ends early so you can study for boards, so 18 months is not 1.5 years.

is today the day we can hold multiple acceptances or is tomorrow?

last withdrawal :( sad about this one

good luck to those who are looking to see waitlist movement tomorrow!

Withdrawing today...incredibly incredibly incredibly hard decision....financial reasons. Best of luck to everyone.

You made a good decision - I'm sure you'll be thanking yourself in 4 years while the rest of us drown in debt!

Thank you to those who have withdrawn and given others a chance to attend this fine school. Good luck at the schools of your choice!

I really hope some of us on the deferred list see movement soon!

Thank you to those who have withdrawn and given others a chance to attend this fine school. Good luck at the schools of your choice!

I really hope some of us on the deferred list see movement soon!

I hope the movement starts soon too!

Just got in today as well. I was never officially on the waitlist, but the admissions lady said they're pulling off of it today so I guess people were transferred over to it. OOS btw, but I've been working at OSU since Sept.

Cool. Definitely seems like OSU tries allay applicant neuroticism to the best of their ability with twitter updates and quick turn-arounds (both May and Oct 15th.) compared to other schools. I hope I get a decision soon so I can figure out what to do about this WVU course...

Does anyone know how long after you are accepted you have to respond? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.