2011-2012 Ohio State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the curriculum goes, this is what I have heard (I tried asking the current med students at my interview and they didn't seem to know much because, well, they weren't taking it):

- within the first month or so, first years will be certified medical assistants, so we will actually be useful during the clinical experiences the first two years
- there is no independent study option/track anymore
- some of our classwork will be done through eModules. These used to be a huge component of the independent study program. From what I've heard, it seems to be like you get an outline of what you need to know (ex: bullet points like: the path of electricity through the heart, how to read an EKG, etc) and you go find the answers. Again, this is just what I've heard
- anatomy will be stretched out over two years instead of front loaded.
- they will be moving to an organ based curriculum. So it seems that we will have a cardio section in which we will dissect out the heart, learn the physiology, study the pathology, and pharmacology all in one go, instead of doing normal function the first year and abnormal the second.

I imagine thats why they want us to have the prior anatomy requirement.

I plan to ask more detailed questions at second look. The e modules in particular make me nervous. Also, from what I can get off of the website, it appears that we will be in class/lecture almost 8 hrs a day, all five days a week. :/

And can someone verify this as well? I guess I fell asleep during the interview...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't "earn your CMA" but you get an abridged training and function as modified medical assistants. It will be a good way to get your feet wet in the hospital and actually serve a function other than shadowing.

Totally agree - just wanted verification on that small point. This sounds closer to what I had imagined.

haha yes you would get a 2 day crash course of how to be a MA (normal MA certification is probably a 9 months class), it allows you to be exposed in the clinics from day 1.

Someone mentioned 8 hours a day lecture 5 days a week for new curriculum? To my understanding that is not true. The purpose of the new curriculum is to decrease the number of hours learning basic facts in lecture (you learn those on your own from books or e learning modules), and reserve lectures only for the complex/hard to get points. So I would think they have LESS lectures, in fact, we had avg of 3 hours of lecture a day, whereas you might get 1 or 2, but you would have more hands on/small group stuff in the afternoon.

I woke up this morning absolutely ECSTATIC that second look is just a few days away.

Simply can't wait!

Wow, quite a different curriculum! What do you guys think of it?I know a few MAs and I wouldn't think much of the MA "training" as long as you've shadowed in a physician's office (PCP, Peds, etc.). Still a wonderful school :love:. You guys will be guinea pigs though, and that's quite scary.

It would be amazing if you guys could elaborate on what you found out about the research at OSU. I heard it's as good as anywhere :oops:

Enjoy your second look :)

-V

Ohio state emailed me last week saying that they'd arranged a one on one meeting on Friday for me and faculty member. I was just curious if others had similar experiences.

Ohio state emailed me last week saying that they'd arranged a one on one meeting on Friday for me and faculty member. I was just curious if others had similar experiences.

Sounds legit--they must really want you.

Also, for those of you that will be there on Friday, what are you wearing to the non-casual dinner?

Does anyone know about the specifics of second look weekend? We hardly got any details in the email. Also, 'comfortable clothes' means we're all wearing jeans, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the non casual dinner, probably slacks and a nice top - maybe a blazer. The statehouse is soooo beautiful and refined, I'd err on the side of being a little overly dressed than under.

And as for the details, the full schedule is available on the admissions website.

For the non casual dinner, probably slacks and a nice top - maybe a blazer. The statehouse is soooo beautiful and refined, I'd err on the side of being a little overly dressed than under.

And as for the details, the full schedule is available on the admissions website.

Word. Also, it seems to me that since we'll be doing activities all day until said dinner, we won't have a chance to get back to the hotel to change. Ergo, should we be wearing our dinner attire all day?

I was wondering about that too. It seems like the Friday schedule is full and there may not be time to change for the dinner...but they did say everything else is casual, so maybe we will have time. Any insight on this from a current OSU student who went to second look?

You could always just bring a change of clothes and store it in a purse... For guys, I have no solution, lol.

You could always just bring a change of clothes and store it in a purse... For guys, I have no solution, lol.

Screw it. I'll be dressed fancy-like ALL DAY.

Barney-Stinson-Suit-Up.jpg

I would think that we'd be left enough time to stop at the hotel to change. I'm hoping so, anyway haha.

Didn't the emails say business casual all day Friday?

I haven't been in here in awhile, I am glad to see so many people are excited for second look! From what I hear (I didn't get to go last year :( ) it was awesome last year and should be even better this year!

Have fun, ya'll, you earned it. I hope everyone get's to see downtown and more of the city while everyone is here! Columbus is an awesome, awesome place. Get excited!

We didn't go into the state house, but if email says business casual, then for guys button down shirt and khakis/gray pants, or if it's like 80s outside then just do polo and khakis, no shorts or sandals please. Not sure for women, but you gals have more choices than guys!

oops I realize this may be a little late, enjoy!

So who went to 2nd look weekend? What was your impression of the school, students, facililty, etc? Give us your feedback.

My (abbreviated) feedback on OSU:

- They clarified their new LSI curriculum and I have to say I am pretty satisfied/confident with the setup. Mornings are lectures (not required unless there's a patient panel), a few free afternoons and other afternoons have scheduled small group, lab, clinical experiences, etc. Overall, the max amount of "required time" is 50 hrs/wk. By "required time", I mean that you might not necessarily have to be somewhere (like lecture), but you do have to complete it as some point, like the e-learning stuff.

- There are Assessment weeks - in other words, exam weeks, which is really nice. No new material during exam weeks and built in time for remedial work if necessary.

- The facilities we'll have/rotate through are top notch. Two brand new hospitals (Nationwide and Project One) as well as a 18,000 sq ft clinical skills lab. Chances for multidisciplinary training/simulation in the clinical skills lab (with nursing students, hospital staff, etc). Not to mention that you can get a lot of variety during your rotations because OSU basically owns or is partnered with everything in the Columbus area. So you could do an emergency med rotation at OSU East (in the middle of the ghetto) and then do peds at Nationwide. Both the Wexner Medical Center and Nationwide are trauma level 1 centers, so anything particularly interesting trauma-wise is going to be coming through there (sorry, I'm into trauma :p)

- The staff/faculty seem very lovely and down to earth - very excited about teaching. You'd be assigned a faculty member who not only has to volunteer for the position, but has to go through additional training - I think this is a nice touch.

- Financial aid letters come out by the end of this week! Even though I haven't seen mine yet, the tuition rates are really decent considered the education you would be getting. That being said - a little side note on this: As a current OSU student, I have had some issues with my medical application process and encountering the stigma of applying to private schools while having a degree from a large, public institution. I expressed my worries that I might deal with the same thing during the residency interviews/match to a current faculty member. He said that I shouldn't worry about it because the medical school is more selective and less associated with the undergrad campus. That being said, this opinion/view was reinforced by the fact that other accepted applicants are trying to choose between OSU and places like Dartmouth, Emory, UCSF, etc.

- OSU seems to be very supportive of students being involved in research, though it is mostly limited to the summer between med1 and 2, and if you decide to take a year off. Taking a year off to pursue a research fellowship/grant (dorris duke, NIH, etc) seems to be decently common.

I won't comment on Columbus as a city, because I've already been here 5 years, so I'm a bit biased :p

Overall, I was pleasantly surprized, even having my undergraduate degree from OSU and worked previously in the Wexner Medical Center. Its a well rounded, good school.

Wow, I seem to have stopped this thread cold.

Anyone else worrying unnecessarily about financial aid that's coming out? Does anyone know if they've handed out all of the merit awards already?

I got a letter earlier this month from the dean outlining a rather generous scholarship award.

However, that financial aid e-mail that they sent yesterday (the one that says we should be getting our official financial aid award notifications later this week) listed the various scholarship types at the bottom of the e-mail, and the scholarships described in that e-mail didn't match up with the one that was outlined in the letter I got from the dean.

I hope the scholarship details in the letter are reflected in the financial aid package. It was generous enough to convince me to attend OSU and put plans in motion (including preparing to move across the country with my wife). It would be really messed up if they claim that there was a screw up and my financial aid doesn't match the letter I got from the dean.

I think you're probably fine. As an OSU undergraduate, I was awarded scholarships that I didn't know existed/weren't listed on any site I could find. If they've promised you something in writing, they'll deliver.

I got a letter earlier this month from the dean outlining a rather generous scholarship award.

However, that financial aid e-mail that they sent yesterday (the one that says we should be getting our official financial aid award notifications later this week) listed the various scholarship types at the bottom of the e-mail, and the scholarships described in that e-mail didn't match up with the one that was outlined in the letter I got from the dean.

I hope the scholarship details in the letter are reflected in the financial aid package. It was generous enough to convince me to attend OSU and put plans in motion (including preparing to move across the country with my wife). It would be really messed up if they claim that there was a screw up and my financial aid doesn't match the letter I got from the dean.

I have what may be a dumb question, but it just occurred to me... do scholarships bump down as people turn them down?

Because if so, and I would assume some of that action would happen may 15th, the scenario for people who decline OSU (for schools where they got scholarships) is that they miss out on getting the money bumped to them...

Is there any rank for who schols'd bump to? Any way to know that rank? It's just such a gamble to turn down aid at another school for the random possibility that you might be runner up for aid at this one...

ahhhh end of the season worries :) at least it'll be done soon i guess.

I have what may be a dumb question, but it just occurred to me... do scholarships bump down as people turn them down?

Because if so, and I would assume some of that action would happen may 15th, the scenario for people who decline OSU (for schools where they got scholarships) is that they miss out on getting the money bumped to them...

Is there any rank for who schols'd bump to? Any way to know that rank? It's just such a gamble to turn down aid at another school for the random possibility that you might be runner up for aid at this one...

ahhhh end of the season worries :) at least it'll be done soon i guess.

Scholarships at Ohio State are very rare, unless you are very far above average, I wouldn't get my hopes up. (also they are very substantial, thus most people wouldn't turn them down, they basically use it to draw the best of the best here)

thanks yall. don't worry i know my place in the grand scheme of things - OSU started giving out this money months ago and i'm not first string :)

i just started waxing philosophical last night about timing, since if a moneyed OSU acceptee withdrew right now, someone like me might have a shot, but if he did that on may15 we wouldn't unless we took no aid at OSU over aid at whereverelse.

good point too wildcat i'd forgotten about them doing a bit of shifting after overaccepting. at any rate only a few weeks left. never thought may would sneak up on me so fast!

Does osu give any financial need based scholarships? If they do, is there a second app for them in addition to the FAFSA?

Financial aid awards are supposedly going to be posted on the website by the end of the day, right?

I'm confused. What if I haven't been able to submit my FAFSA yet?

If you haven't been able to submit you fafsa yet, I would contact the financial aid office immediately, if you haven't already. However, I'm not sure there's much they can do for you at this point, considering it was due in February.

I checked on buckeyelink and there is nothing for me. I haven't received any emails either :(

If you haven't been able to submit you fafsa yet, I would contact the financial aid office immediately, if you haven't already. However, I'm not sure there's much they can do for you at this point, considering it was due in February.

I checked on buckeyelink and there is nothing for me. I haven't received any emails either :(

After 5pm (Ohio time), and nothing posted on Buckeyelink yet. I suppose they must be very busy.

I have my estimated need and estimated family contributions, but that's it.

I have my estimated need and estimated family contributions, but that's it.

Same here. I'm guessing that info has been up on the site for a while now. Oh well.

The e-mail from earlier said that it "should" be posted by the end of this week. But it goes on to say that if it's not viewable on the website by May 3rd, then we should contact them.

Yeah but what if you interviewed in March?

:oops:

a new thing popped up on my fin. aid to do list in the buckeyelink, but still no award

I submitted all of the financial aid requirements to the schools I was really serious about regardless of my status at the time, just to be sure.

a new thing popped up on my fin. aid to do list in the buckeyelink, but still no award

Yeah, there are some links to promissory note stuff under the "to do" tab, but nothing under the "award summary."

No email. Buckeyelink. Is it possible that they are still working out the numbers?

Hello all,
Those with multiple acceptances who are absolutely sure they will not be attending OSU should please give up their acceptances so that the waitlist can start moving. If you withdraw your acceptance today it could help out those of us on the waitlist who are still holding out hope for acceptances. You have to make a decision about the one school you will be matriculating at by May 14th anyway. I know no one is obligated to give up their acceptances because of anyone else but please be considerate.:) Thank you!

all loans. not that i didn't know that was what it'd say but it's unfortunate. this was the first place i interviewed and i did really like it.

Hello all,
Those with multiple acceptances who are absolutely sure they will not be attending OSU should please give up their acceptances so that the waitlist can start moving. If you withdraw your acceptance today it could help out those of us on the waitlist who are still holding out hope for acceptances. You have to make a decision about the one school you will be matriculating at by May 14th anyway. I know no one is obligated to give up their acceptances because of anyone else but please be considerate.:) Thank you!

I like your enthusiasim about OSU! But please think about those who are fortunate enough to have multiple acceptances, they deserve their time til mid may to decide. Whether they decide now or later doesn't effect your acceptance in the end. Best of luck in your application cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.