2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got my complete email today. Submitted end of October. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

How many apply to penn --> get interviewed --> accepted --> matriculate?
Anyone have these stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want an idea of ranking the unranked schools in terms of "research", just look up the NIH grant funding list. Penn State got around $55 million this year. Which is considerable.

The 4 major sources of research funding for schools comes from: the NIH, an attached hospital conglomerate, alumni endowments, the state (if a state school).

If you watch the U. Pitt Dean's address he talks about this. One of the reasons U. Penn is such a research powerhouse is that they have hundreds of millions from NIH as well as the Perlman family while U. Pitt doesn't have any major family endowments at the moment.

It all boils down to money. The best researchers follow the best facilities and salary. It's like baseball.

Last edited:
Finally got my complete email today. Submitted end of October. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an interview.

Same. Complete email after I sent in my secondary 2 months ago. Boooooooo :(

"Dear Penn State College of Medicine applicant:

As indicated to you in a previous email, your application to the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

The Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications and evaluates them on a random and rolling basis. The Committee wishes you to know that your application is a high priority, and it will definitely contact you as soon as a decision is made.

We appreciate your interest in the College of Medicine."

Got this today. Is this the dreaded "continue to review" or a different animal entirely?

Anyone have a theory as to why some applications are marked complete within a few weeks and some take months? Are they reviewed prior to being marked complete maybe?

"Dear Penn State College of Medicine applicant:

As indicated to you in a previous email, your application to the Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine is complete and is currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

The Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications and evaluates them on a random and rolling basis. The Committee wishes you to know that your application is a high priority, and it will definitely contact you as soon as a decision is made.

We appreciate your interest in the College of Medicine."

Got this today. Is this the dreaded "continue to review" or a different animal entirely?

Hmmmm I don't know what this means. Is this your complete email or another email after that? My complete email that I got today did not say "your application is a high priority" sooooooo I think it's a good thing that they said that to you. Hope that helps! you >> me hahaha :oops:

Anyone have a theory as to why some applications are marked complete within a few weeks and some take months? Are they reviewed prior to being marked complete maybe?

I would imagine it has to do mostly with the volume of applications they are dealing with at a particular time. For example, if you apply very early in the cycle they have fewer applications on the table and they can get to yours faster. Later in the cycle they are hit with a deluge of secondaries and the processing time slows down accordingly.

Also, there is a human element that needs to be accounted for. I believe all medical schools have people physically make sure that your application is complete before they sends it to committee for review. Its likely some application checkers are just slower than others.

Finally, I think some consideration is payed to purely quantitative data. If you have better stats they probably want to process you faster and get you to an interview than if your an average candidate.

If I have learned anything from med school admissions this cycle is that there is no normal distribution when it comes to application processing times. What annoys me is the presumptuousness of medical schools when they quote you a processing time range (6-8 weeks for example) and make no attempt to honor it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you fly from OOS, which airport do you have to fly into? I am so confused. I don't think I can fly into the University Park Airport from the west cost... So, is this info legit?: http://www.travelmath.com/nearest-airport/Hershey,+PA

Also, how "rural" is this campus? I keep hearing it's "oh so rural..."

I'm from the area. I would fly into the Harrisburg Airport. It's actually between Harrisburg and Hershey, only about a 10-15 minute drive. But the info you have is correct with distances.

And University Park (which is where Penn State's main campus is) is about two hours from Hershey, with a really tiny airport, so that's probably a bad idea. If you need any help with the area, feel free to PM me.

As for rural, it depends on your perspective, I guess. It goes from small downtown to suburbs to farmland pretty rapidly and frequently. And the school itself is pretty isolated (in that you can't really walk to any stores, except for a few restaurants).

^ i was marked complete about 8 weeks ago.

oooooh.....hm. I would assume maybe this new email then is a courtesy email? Maybe something they give to people they haven't had the time to review yet, but it's been a while since they've been complete. Just letting you know they haven't forgotten about you. I don't know if schools do that....but that's how I would take it. Definitely wouldn't see this as a bad thing (just an annoyingly slow thing)

I submitted my secondary Sept 21, but my primary application was processed by AMCAS after on Sept 23. Still, it has been over 2 months and my application still hasn't been marked as complete by Penn State. It may have something to do with the fact that I am a Canadian applicant. Perhaps applications from U.S. citizens/residents are given priority and reviewed first? Ask admissions, and they'll flatly deny it though.

I submitted my secondary Sept 21, but my primary application was processed by AMCAS after on Sept 23. Still, it has been over 2 months and my application still hasn't been marked as complete by Penn State. It may have something to do with the fact that I am a Canadian applicant. Perhaps applications from U.S. citizens/residents are given priority and reviewed first? Ask admissions, and they'll flatly deny it though.

Hey, you just have to wait like everyone else. I am also an international applicant (from Ethiopia) and I interviewed there last month. So just wait you will hear from them.

I would call admissions and ask. These schools get thousands of applications. It could easily be an oversight.

"Continue to Review" came in the mail today :thumbdown:

That sucks.... lol

(but I got an II from Rochester in my email earlier today, so it makes up for it!)

I read somewhere that if they were ranked, based on the schools that are already ranked, they would be 90 or below. But I don't know where I read it, and it could be completely false. The match seems pretty decent http://www.pennstatehershey.org/c/d...5f-2aa7-4738-86d5-e4566610a971&groupId=103698
9 anesthesiology
1 plastics
5 orthopedic surgery
2 derm
5 radiology

That's their match list from two years ago. Last year they had 7 match derm.

http://med.psu.edu/c/document_libra...e0-65d4-48fe-af40-9744936c2bbd&groupId=133445

7 Derm
6 Ortho
6 ENT
2 Plastics
1 Rad Onc
6 Rads
3 Urology

I would call admissions and ask. These schools get thousands of applications. It could easily be an oversight.

I called Admissions and they said to expect up to 10 weeks for applications to be marked as complete, and that they give email notification of this. I guess I should know shortly, it's been about 10 going onto 11 weeks since I've submitted all my application materials.

I called Admissions and they said to expect up to 10 weeks for applications to be marked as complete, and that they give email notification of this. I guess I should know shortly, it's been about 10 going onto 11 weeks since I've submitted all my application materials.

Hang tight then. The one thing I have learned from reading posts on here is that there is no rhyme or reason behind the admissions process.

For example SUNY Buffalo does not review applications based on the order in which they were received. They do it purely arbitrary. While other schools it is first come first serve.

Not sure it is the same here but I have given up on trying to crack the code on the med school admissions process.

anybody know what interview dates the committee is making decisions on?

anybody know what interview dates the committee is making decisions on?
I would assume the committee would be making decisions on those who interviewed late October or early November. It's been exactly 6 weeks since I've interviewed (10/28), and I haven't heard from them yet.

I submitted the secondary on Sept.19th and had my AMCAS verified Sept.26th. I think my letters of rec were a little later (Oct.1?). I have yet to get a complete e-mail and have called multiple times(I had a question about rec. letters b/c I'm in grad school) and each time they assure me that they are reviewing my file and to be patient. I really like this school but it's definitely frustrating.

I submitted the secondary on Sept.19th and had my AMCAS verified Sept.26th. I think my letters of rec were a little later (Oct.1?). I have yet to get a complete e-mail and have called multiple times(I had a question about rec. letters b/c I'm in grad school) and each time they assure me that they are reviewing my file and to be patient. I really like this school but it's definitely frustrating.

I feel you on this wait. But no news is good news. I got my complete email and at this point I am just waiting for my review letter.. I am not a PA resident so don't know if I will get interviewed.

Got the "Continue to Review" letter on Saturday after being complete since only November 23rd. Sad days, this was definitely one of my top choices. Oh well good luck to everyone else!

Got the "Continue to Review" letter on Saturday after being complete since only November 23rd. Sad days, this was definitely one of my top choices. Oh well good luck to everyone else!

They seem to come two weeks after. Do you know if anyone with this status ever gets an interview?

They seem to come two weeks after. Do you know if anyone with this status ever gets an interview?

Well, they send rejection letters too, so there must be a reason why they have the hold letter. I think people do get IIs after receiving the hold letter, however chances must be small.

'on hold' mail post-interview....
what are the chances of getting in after getting this mail?...

'on hold' mail post-interview....
what are the chances of getting in after getting this mail?...
ineedadoctor 89-- When did you interview?

so is that not the waitlist? They have decided yet on either accept/reject/waitlist?

Interview invite, OOS. The process does seem a little unpredictable.

Anyone know far off they usually schedule interviews? What has you experience been?

Interview invite, OOS. The process does seem a little unpredictable.

Anyone know far off they usually schedule interviews? What has you experience been?

I was able to schedule mine about 3 weeks from when I got the invite. But coming from Michigan, I had to push it off a couple weeks to account for travel time with school and such. There were dates earlier though.
Congrats and good luck!!

Interview Invite! Very surprised. Haven't had an invite in a while so it seems really random haha

received interview invite today too. kind of really surprised. I am from Cali and it costs so much to travel.. and only like 70 people get accepted from 500 OOs interviews. don't even know if it is worth it anymore.

the interview date I've gotten is the on 11th of next month. Has anyone gotten a date before that? and would anyone like to switch the dates with me. Something personal came up and I really have to go to India where my entire family is before the 11th. Please PM me.. it'd mean a lot to me.

put on pre-interview hold :( took them 2 months to make my app complete after i turned in my secondary, but only a week to tell me i'm hold after being complete. anyone have any good experiences with this? my general opinion is that a pre-interview hold is just a delayed rejection...

put on pre-interview hold :( took them 2 months to make my app complete after i turned in my secondary, but only a week to tell me i'm hold after being complete. anyone have any good experiences with this? my general opinion is that a pre-interview hold is just a delayed rejection...

How long after did you get your letter? I have been complete now for 2 weeks and haven't heard anything at all.

How long after did you get your letter? I have been complete now for 2 weeks and haven't heard anything at all.

I was complete on Tuesday December 6th and received my on hold letter Saturday December 18th - i'm not sure when it was postmarked because my parents called me about the letter (don't live at home now). But my address is in Michigan so it must have taken a couple days. To be honest that still seems really quick for me (but not exactly the decision I wanted!) :oops:

I was complete on Tuesday December 6th and received my on hold letter Saturday December 18th - i'm not sure when it was postmarked because my parents called me about the letter (don't live at home now). But my address is in Michigan so it must have taken a couple days. To be honest that still seems really quick for me (but not exactly the decision I wanted!) :oops:

Complete dec 5th. Nothing yet. NY applicant. I am so paranoid, I keep going home expecting to get my hold letter in the mail.:(

complete early october...nothing yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.