2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does continue to review actually mean you still have a shot or is it their way of saying we are simply not sending rejection letters yet? Have people actually gotten rejected without receiving this letter? Also, have those who received this letter actually gotten an interview a bit later? I'm being a bit pessimistic I know, I apologize!!

Members don't see this ad.

Does continue to review actually mean you still have a shot or is it their way of saying we are simply not sending rejection letters yet? Have people actually gotten rejected without receiving this letter? Also, have those who received this letter actually gotten an interview a bit later? I'm being a bit pessimistic I know, I apologize!!

In an e-mail this is what I was told by the admissions staff what the continue to review category supposedly means:

"The “rolling” nature of the admissions process, as we conduct it, dictates that applications are processed in the order they are received. For candidates placed on the "Continue to Review" category; those applicants are continuously measured against the entire applicant pool as it unfolds, so as to ensure that the most competitive applicants be extended interview invitations and acceptances. Interviews are conducted through the end of March."

Interesting.. thanks! That's what I get for applying late I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing tomorrow who wants to meet up for dinner or a drink tonight? Would be fun to get a group together :)

In an e-mail this is what I was told by the admissions staff what the continue to review category supposedly means:

"The “rolling” nature of the admissions process, as we conduct it, dictates that applications are processed in the order they are received. For candidates placed on the "Continue to Review" category; those applicants are continuously measured against the entire applicant pool as it unfolds, so as to ensure that the most competitive applicants be extended interview invitations and acceptances. Interviews are conducted through the end of March."

What if you have been complete but did not get a interview or continue to review letter? Is that a rejection?

Whaaaaaat? Whaaaaaat? I just got an interview! Whaaaaaat? They must have made a mistake. Let's call them and find out!

Interview scheduled for 2/17/2012

Complete on . . . Check my MDapps. Or my other posts in this thread. I don't remember.

Last edited:
They hadn't reviewed my application yet.

Wait. I want to change my answer.

"I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it."

Oh I am sorry... Congrats by the way. I am just asking what was your application path?

Complete ----> interview invite?

or

Complete---> hold/continue to review letter---> interview invite?

If you don't feel comfortable answering that's ok too.

accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
interviewed on 11/30 just got the letter in the mail today

Oh I am sorry... Congrats by the way. I am just asking what was your application path?

Complete ----> interview invite?

or

Complete---> hold/continue to review letter---> interview invite?

If you don't feel comfortable answering that's ok too.

Haha, I was just quoting Lucille from Arrested Development. :banana:

I got a complete e-mail. Then two months later, I got this one. That's all the contact I've received, unless my parents didn't tell me about a letter I received at home or something.

Haha, I was just quoting Lucille from Arrested Development. :banana:

I got a complete e-mail. Then two months later, I got this one. That's all the contact I've received, unless my parents didn't tell me about a letter I received at home or something.

Oh good. Congrats! When is the interview? I have been complete since dec 5th with no letter so I am hoping that means they are interested in me!

Guess admissions met recently... since folks got accepted and invited for interviews this today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh good. Congrats! When is the interview? I have been complete since dec 5th with no letter so I am hoping that means they are interested in me!

Guess admissions met recently... since folks got accepted and invited for interviews this today.

Feb. 17th. That was the first 10:30 date available (and there's no way I'm going to an 8:30 am interview voluntarily. Come on, now.):laugh:

accepted!!! interviewed late november

Did you interview after 11/21? I interviewed on 11/21 and haven't heard yet, so now that people who interviewed after the 21st are hearing back, I'm getting worried...

Also, do you know when your letter was mailed out?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you interview after 11/21? I interviewed on 11/21 and haven't heard yet, so now that people who interviewed after the 21st are hearing back, I'm getting worried...

Also, do you know when your letter was mailed out?

Thanks!

I think it was the 21st or just around then, so a letter could still be in the mail. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when the letter was mailed out since it was received by my parents at their house (OOS). Best of luck in this process and I hope you hear good news!!

Have any other 11/21 interviews heard back yet?

Last edited:
I think it was the 21st or just around then, so a letter could still be in the mail. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when the letter was mailed out since it was received by my parents at their house (OOS). Best of luck in this process and I hope you hear good news!!

Thank you!! I hope so too!

Same here.. I've been complete since mid November

Complete since Dec 5th. No continue to review letter. Not sure what this means.

Ok, so I've been complete since early Oct...I called up Penn admissions today. The lady asked when was the last time I had received contact from the school. I mentioned a complete e-mail in October and she seemed surprised I had not received a letter in the mail. She looked my app up in the system, said I'm still with committee, and would receive a letter or e-mail at my change of status.

...The wait continues. :rolleyes: It seems like there is no real significance to not receiving a letter except that they haven't made a decision on you yet.

Last edited:
how long does penn state take on average to mark an applicant as complete? I submitted my secondary with all letters in the first week of December but I am still not complete.

how long does penn state take on average to mark an applicant as complete? I submitted my secondary with all letters in the first week of December but I am still not complete.

I can't say with certainty that this is average, but for me, it took two months to be marked complete and two months after that to be offered an interview.

I was complete a little more than a month after submitting my secondary (mid-October). The length of the wait seems to be really random.

Took about 6-7 weeks for me.

Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email.

Lol I think I am still not complete....

Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email.

LOL dude when did you submit?!

Nope. You'll get an email saying you're complete.

According to gmail:

8/4/11

OMG!!!!!! That is crazy! Did you call them to find out what's going on? That doesn't make sense if it is rolling. You should have been reviewed already.

acccccceptedd :love:

interviewed early december

Last edited:
accepted!!!! Interviewed 12/12!!! :) Was so excited to see the thick packet in my mailbox this morning!

accepted!!!! Interviewed 12/12!!! :) Was so excited to see the thick packet in my mailbox this morning!

I interviewed the same day I think. I'm in CO though so im really hoping that thick envelope is just taking it's time getting here!

FINALLY got a letter from penn state... just says i'm in a continue to review pile. i'm pretty sure this is the first communication i've had from them since summer, soooo i'm not holding my breath here. guess we'll see though!

Unfortunately, PSU does not accept update letters. I know from experience.

I received a reply to my update email stating they would need an official transcript for the grade updates I sent. So I encourage anyone thinking of reaching out to the school to give it a shot

FINALLY got a letter from penn state... just says i'm in a continue to review pile. i'm pretty sure this is the first communication i've had from them since summer, soooo i'm not holding my breath here. guess we'll see though!

Oh bummer. Now i am worried.

Someone posted earlier that they check their mailbox for a continue to review letter like it's a bomb...I totally agree! It's like that everyday! :D

Still nothing in my mailbox so im guessing/hoping they just didn't get through all of 12/12 interview applications!

Hi guys, new member here.

I interviewed 11/21 and haven't heard back yet, but I got a CBC email on 1/16 and submitted the background check on 1/17.

I am waiting to hear from three other schools (UMD, SLU, and Hofstra) all of which I contacted and they confirmed that they only do background checks AFTER notifying of acceptance (I haven't heard back from any of them yet). Thus, of the four schools I'm waiting to hear back from PSU is the only one that does background checks before notifying of acceptance.

So should I be optimistic? I'm definitely worried considering other people who interviewed on 11/21 have already gotten their acceptance letters. It's been almost two weeks since the CBC and I have yet to get the thick packet =\.

I have a few questions for people who have already interviewed-- I have an interview coming up in a couple weeks.

1. Do you have any suggestions about good hotels (or hotels to avoid)?

2. Does anyone know how full the class is at this point? Will there still be spots available in mid-Feb or will I be interviewing for the waitlist? I'm not sure how late their interview season goes...

3. Generally, how were your interviews? Are they pretty laid back, lots of ethical questions? etc.

Thank you very much!

Hello,

I am accepted to Penn State COM and I have a question for any current students, preferably third/fourth years. I noticed that the clinical curriculum requires a surgical sub-internship during the fourth year. This definitely scares me because I've heard how horrible surgery electives can be, and this is a sub-int, plus I really don't see myself going into surgery post grad. Any input into how the experience was, why it's required and not optional, etc. would be much appreciated! Of those to which I've been accepted, this is the only school with such a requirement, so I'm wondering how much of a factor this should be in my decision. Thanks!

interview invite today :)
Submitted Secondary: mid september
Complete: mid november

this seems to pretty much uphold the notion (and common occurrence) that it takes about 2 months to get complete and another 2 months after that to receive an II

interview invite today :)
Submitted Secondary: mid september
Complete: mid november

this seems to pretty much uphold the notion (and common occurrence) that it takes about 2 months to get complete and another 2 months after that to receive an II

congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.