2011-2012 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so are bullet points acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your source for this.

No source, just my opinion. They are only asking for 50 words, just write a few sentences that build off one another. You don't want them to think you can't form a coherent small passage and have to resort to bullet points. IMO, bullet points are more appropriate for the brainstorming portion of writing.

<---------- Used bullet points. (also used on primary in some cases) :p
I felt they were more efficient, considering the 50 word limit. They have the PS and mcat if they want to assess writing skills. With such a low limit, I'm sure they're just looking for clear answers regardless of how they're presented.

I originally used bullet points also, but when I looked at the 'preview application' function I found that the bullet points did not transfer over.

what if we just used - (dashes) instead of real bullet points?

Also, I don't see the "preview app" function -- maybe that's in the "confirm/finalize" section? I'm paranoid and scared to even press it right now while mine isn't done.

With this 50 word limit, how on earth...was anyone able to write MORE THAN ONE negative apsect of healthcare?

Does anyone know how strict Penn is on this?

"Applicants are required to have fulfilled all academic prerequisites by the end of the calendar year prior to matriculation."

I will only be missing one course by the end of December 2011, but will be finished it a few months prior to matriculation. Anyone in a similar situation or know someone who is/was?

Thanks for the help :)

With this 50 word limit, how on earth...was anyone able to write MORE THAN ONE negative apsect of healthcare?

I believe that the question is leaning towards evaluating medicine as a career choice. In other words, negative aspects that you have considered when deciding to become a doctor.

I believe that the question is leaning towards evaluating medicine as a career choice. In other words, negative aspects that you have considered when deciding to become a doctor.
yea i just wrote about the costs of med schools and the problems of taking out loans

I only focused on one aspect, but I mentioned it as one of many.

Also, finally submitted the secondary today :D

yea i just wrote about the costs of med schools and the problems of taking out loans

I thought it meant negative aspects you think will occur while practicing medicine? as in what you think you will not like as a doctor

I thought it meant negative aspects you think will occur while practicing medicine? as in what you think you will not like as a doctor

...as I doctor..he/she will not like making student loan payments :p

I think cost of education and the uncertainty of future earnings is a relevant concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think they left it open to ur interpretation....remember these questions have no right or wrong answer its just a way of getting into ur head and ur thought process write whatever u feel the question is asking u and ull be fine i took it to mean wut are some negative aspects in my decision to go to med school

Last edited:
Help! Just finished writing my Penn essays and I can't find my e-mail to the secondary! I know I received it, but maybe accidentally deleted it :scared:

Can someone link me?

Help! Just finished writing my Penn State essays and I can't find my e-mail to the secondary! I know I received it, but maybe accidentally deleted it :scared:

Can someone link me?

FTFY. It's Penn State, not Penn. Hopefully you get it straight before you interview.

FTFY. It's Penn State, not Penn. Hopefully you get it straight before you interview.

I would have said UPenn for the other. I thought it was clear which school I was referring to based on the thread I was posting on...

:laugh:

Also, I don't see the "preview app" function -- maybe that's in the "confirm/finalize" section? I'm paranoid and scared to even press it right now while mine isn't done.

They're called commas.

I guess it's a trade off between actually discussing one pivotal "aspect" vs tossing out several different ones. I have no idea which way admissions would rather see ya go with it. Wish admissions reps would post on here! ;)

penn state has been awfully quiet once again with their complete emails...

Submitted 7/29 and received the complete email 8/11.

I'm having problem answering question 13 guys. The website doesn't say anything unique about Penn State COM. All I know is they have great children's hospital. Where could I find out more to write this? Any help is much appreciated.

I'm having problem answering question 13 guys. The website doesn't say anything unique about Penn State COM. All I know is they have great children's hospital. Where could I find out more to write this? Any help is much appreciated.

You can look at the detailed curriculum and write about something that interests you.

Here's the link: http://www.pennstatehershey.org/web/md/curriculum

I almost cried tears of joy when I saw answer were capped to 50 words. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :love:

when did you guys submit for the people who got a complete letter

I'm still waiting on a complete email. Submitted on 7/29 as well.

Interview invite today!!!! Yay! My first one!

OOS, 37Q, 3.4

Verified 6/2, secondary submitted the day it was released. Complete shortly thereafter.

Interview invite today!!!! Yay! My first one!

OOS, 37Q, 3.4

Verified 6/2, secondary submitted the day it was released. Complete shortly thereafter.

congrats. were you complete before 08/04?

i submitted my secondary like 2 days after i got it and I haven't been complete...weird

i submitted my secondary like 2 days after i got it and I haven't been complete...weird
same with myself and steve i e-mailed them but havent gotten a response...if I don't hear anything by monday morning (since I am on Pacific time) I will call them up

Application complete email received 8/4

Invited for interview 8/19

In state/33Q/3.86

I also submitted 7/29 and have not gotten a "complete" email. Hmm.

I think the credit card payment shouldn't be allowed to clear until they've marked us complete! ;)

any updates on how they're marking people complete? last i saw, people were emailing and calling them. I submitted on 8/12 so I know it's only been over a week for me but my letters have been on amcas since july....so odd that some people are getting complete within a week and others are not complete over 2 weeks.

any updates on how they're marking people complete? last i saw, people were emailing and calling them. I submitted on 8/12 so I know it's only been over a week for me but my letters have been on amcas since july....so odd that some people are getting complete within a week and others are not complete over 2 weeks.
i e-mailed them friday and still haven't gotten a response...I couldn't call today (it sucks being West Coast so we have less hours to call) but I will definitely call first thing tomorrow morning if an answer isn't sitting in my inbox it def is weird as my letters were also sent LONG time ago and i submitted my app the day after I got it mid-july

I got in contact with them, and the way she explained it was that it takes 4-6 weeks before they can validate completion. Obviously this is not true with everyone as we have seen in this thread, but I guess all we can do is wait. I will wait another two weeks or so before I call/email them again. Good luck everyone.

I submitted around 7/29 and still not complete yet:

"Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email."

Not sure if I should call as well, but it doesn't seem like there is an error so perhaps I will just wait a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.