2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!

My heart skipped a beat for this one. I am waiting to hear from UW-Madison for the counseling psych program. They said they would have interview invites out by dec 23rd. Getting close!

Mine too. My application status on their website got moved to "unavailable" earlier today... At this point, any news would be a relief.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Mine too. My application status on their website got moved to "unavailable" this afternoon... At this point, any news would be a relief.

Interesting. Mine says "pending".

I also received an interview invitation from the University of Kentucky! The program is Clinical Ph.D. and the interview dates are 1/26 and 1/27. I was notified via e-mail from my POI. Congratulations to MaoZeDog as well! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine says 'pending' again now too... Huh.
I probably broke mine from creeping on their website too much. :oops:

I remember reading something stating from around 2-3 the website or the availability of the status may not be working.

Was the UWM email a mass email? I'm still holding on hope that they might get to me by the end of the day...

The UWisc--Milwaukee invite was a mass e-mail with the simple subject "update" -- can be easy to miss in your inbox, so keep your eye out!

Last edited:
Just got an email from POI .. will PM for it to be updated!

Last edited:
I received an invite to interview on 1/27 at Marquette University (Counseling Psychology). They contacted me this morning via mass email from the department chair's assistant.

I also received an invite for Marquette :)

Marquette University
Counseling Psychology
Interview: Friday, January 27
Received email from program director's assistant on Dec 20th

Crossing my fingers for successful interviews! :xf:

I also received an invite for Marquette :)

Marquette University
Counseling Psychology
Interview: Friday, January 27
Received email from program director's assistant on Dec 20th

Crossing my fingers for successful interviews! :xf:
Congrats Psychology S!

Would you mind PMing me your POI as well? If not, I totally understand. Just trying to get a feel of where the program is at this point :) Did the POI say it was a pre-interview for the interview day? Or was it just to give more details about the interview day?

And, congratulations!

Alabama has four concentrations in the PhD Clinical Program (child, gero, law, health). There are two interview days, with two concentrations interviewed each day. I'm not sure about the other concentrations, but I think the gero concentration will interview the 2nd day.

U of Wisconsin - Madison (Counseling),
Jan 20th interview day.
Email from program coordinator with letter from POI attached in pdf format.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Wisconsin - Madison (Counseling),
Jan 20th interview day.
Email from program coordinator with letter from POI attached in pdf format.

I got this e-mail too! Yipee!

But mine was from the admissions chair?? (i think) Not my original POI? *confused*

Last edited:
I got this e-mail too! Yipee!

But mine was from the admissions chair?? (i think) Not my original POI? *confused*

I guess mine was from the admissions chair as well. I'm still confused by "POI" Are people applying to work specifically with individuals? I just sort of listed a few people on my personal statements.

POI - person of interest - who you applied to work with.

I got an email from FSU clinical psych PHD POI for a brief phone interview.. assuming it will be a pre-screen before offering an invitation to the actual interview.

I guess mine was from the admissions chair as well. I'm still confused by "POI" Are people applying to work specifically with individuals? I just sort of listed a few people on my personal statements.

Ah, I only listed one. So I'm assuming that is who is inviting me? I wish they were a little more detailed with the letter. I wonder if we all got the same one. haha

POI - person of interest - who you applied to work with.

I got an email from FSU clinical psych PHD POI for a brief phone interview.. assuming it will be a pre-screen before offering an invitation to the actual interview.

I'm now officially nervous! Florida State was a reach school for me, but still...oh well, guess we'll see. Do you mind PMing me your POI?

Updated!

Everyone: please write out the school name without abbreviations. Otherwise I have to guess what school you're talking about and I'll probably get it wrong. Thanks!

I'm now officially nervous! Florida State was a reach school for me, but still...oh well, guess we'll see. Do you mind PMing me your POI?

I think it's just like a pre-interview so I wouldn't get nervous, I know someone else that's applying to a different person and hasn't heard back either. I'll PM you though.

Maybe a doc student can weigh in to this discussion for us. I was under the assumption that we were all applying to programs, not professors. I understand that specific professors bring in money to fund individuals, but I don't think POI's are as integral to the interview invite process.

Maybe a doc student can weigh in to this discussion for us. I was under the assumption that we were all applying to programs, not professors. I understand that specific professors bring in money to fund individuals, but I don't think POI's are as integral to the interview invite process.

I'm not a doc student, but I was told from day one in the undergrad clinical psych lab that you apply to work with a professor, which is why the match and research interests are so important in the process. Maybe it's not the same for all schools though.

I'm not a doc student, but I was told from day one in the undergrad clinical psych lab that you apply to work with a professor, which is why the match and research interests are so important in the process. Maybe it's not the same for all schools though.

I was told this also. The committee first approves you as a whole. Then the app is forwarded to a specific professor who usually has complete control over who to pick at this point.

I was told this also. The committee first approves you as a whole. Then the app is forwarded to a specific professor who usually has complete control over who to pick at this point.
Thanks y'all.

It really depends on the type of program. For the majority of PhD programs, which usually work under a mentor-model, this is definitely the case. You will have a professor that you work under who will be your main mentor and usually you're on their research team. Most PsyD programs don't work like this, however the university based ones that I have seen do or prefer atleast that you have research interestssomewhat similar to a faculty member's. Generally its the larger, professional school programs that don't work like this because they just take too many students to give each one a specfic mentor.

Also, if a POI doesn't want you, there is no reason to interview you. Having a POI (at the smaller programs) is extremely essential.

Can someone confirm whether USC and UT Austin's respective clinical science/psychology programs have sent out their emails inviting applicants to interview?

Last edited:

This really varies depending on the school/program. Some schools vet only by committee, some combine committee and POI choices, and some give 99% of the choice of POIs. The more research-focused a program is, the more it will generally lean towards giving individual POIs more say.

Even at programs that are not mentor model, research match is still vital to getting admitted.

Since I'm on thread now and might as well ask for a friend who's applying this year: Does anyone have any info on the Oklahoma State or Michigan State clinical PhD programs? It looks like last year they notified around this time... Thanks!

I know of someone who received an interview invite to Michigan State today. I didn't apply there and don't know how she was notified (found out via Facebook), but I know it's for Clinical PhD.

Just received an e-mail from the director of training for interviews at University of Louisville (Counseling). Interviews are Jan 20.

That's what I'd like to know as well!

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I looked back in last year's thread and it looked like people said USC did a "rolling interview invite" sort of thing, notifying people who applied earlier first. I'm not sure if they're done sending out invites, though. I applied pretty close to the deadline, so I'm trying not to panic yet...

Just received an e-mail from the director of training for interviews at University of Louisville (Counseling). Interviews are Jan 20.

I just got the e-mail interview invite to Louisville's counseling psych program as well! However, my interview is on January 13. Is yours really on January 20? The 13th actually works better for me, but I'm surprised they assigned us to two different days.

Anyone know anything good / bad about Louisville's counseling psych PhD program?

Last edited:
I'm also waiting to hear from USC.. I was disappointed to see it listed up here already.... :confused: I hope they are not done sending out invites! I applied close to the deadline as well!!!
I applied to USC on December 1st, so I like what the idea of rolling interview invitations. It's so frustrating that there isn't more (any?) information on the clinical science/general admissions page about the timeline for hearing back! Unless I've just completely missed that info, because my brain is complete mush at this point.

I just got the e-mail interview invite to Louisville's counseling psych program as well! However, my interview is on January 13. Is yours really on January 20? The 13th actually works better for me, but I'm surprised they assigned us to two different days.

Anyone know anything good / bad about Louisville's counseling psych PhD program?

Yep, the 20th.
I was very surprised how quickly they made offers since the applications weren't due up until.. 5 days ago.

Oh, and congrats! You are just racking up the interviews! :thumbup::thumbup:

Most every Ph.D Clinical program will look to see that you mentioned a POI in your statement, but if you didn't (or if you did it sort of haphazardly) its not the end of the world.

There are a few schools do not use a mentor model, and they probably won't fault you for it. Other universities (Like the one I work at in the northeast) will consider your choices, but will mostly look at your research experiences and match you up with someone themselves.

Last year, I got an interview at VCU, but it was with two different professors that I didn't mention in my essay. They just saw that I had experience in something that they were interested in, and that is pretty much the reason I got that interview at all.

Hope that helps.

Yep, the 20th.
I was very surprised how quickly they made offers since the applications weren't due up until.. 5 days ago.

Oh, and congrats! You are just racking up the interviews! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks!

It is strange. They get about 72 applications, and it only took them 5 days to make interview decisions. Though I guess it's a good sign of an efficient department! I'm surprised they're doing two different interview days too. Speaking of, my interview is on Friday the 13th? Yikes.

I know of someone who received an interview invite to Michigan State today. I didn't apply there and don't know how she was notified (found out via Facebook), but I know it's for Clinical PhD.

My friend hasn't heard anything. Hopefully for her it wasn't mass...

Also, she just got a pre-interview rejection from Oklahoma State (Clinical PhD). :( Rough day....

My friend hasn't heard anything. Hopefully for her it wasn't mass...

Also, she just got a pre-interview rejection from Oklahoma State (Clinical PhD). :( Rough day....

Wow, rejections are being sent out already? Scary...

As previously stated, can everyone refrain from using abbreviations and use complete university titles? There's more than one "Michigan" program. We are starting to get stressed. I imagine lots of hearts skip a beat every time someone posts only part of a school name or fails to specify counseling or clinical. Thanks!

As previously stated, can everyone refrain from using abbreviations and use complete university titles? There's more than one "Michigan" program. We are starting to get stressed. I imagine lots of hearts skip a beat every time someone posts only part of a school name or fails to specify counseling or clinical. Thanks!

If you're referring to my post, I did say "Michigan State". Although I didn't throw the "University" at the end, there's only one Michigan State school. Sorry if this caused any confusion... I'm from a Big Ten school so I'm partial to dropping the "University" from the school name.

I got an invite today 12/20 from The University of Lousiville's Counseling PhD program. Interview is on January 13! Got the invite through e-mail from the director of training.

Also received an invite from Oklahoma State's Clinical PhD program from the director of training. Interviews will be on February 11!!!

I'm just so excited :D

Anyone hear anything from the University of Minnesota CSPP program?

Just heard that someone I know got an interview invite to University of Tulsa, clinical program :)

I wish I could report any interview invites that I got, but oh well, haha!

Let's get this party started!

Deadlines are upon us and invites should be rolling in within the next few weeks.

Post your interview notifications so we can keep a running list of schools.

Example information:
School name
Program type/track (clinical, school, phd, psyd, child, adult etc.)
Date received
How were you notified (mass email, personalized email, phone call, from the DCT, from the POI, etc.)
Interview dates offered

I'll check this frequently and keep it updated!

Good luck to everyone!

EDIT: I was also thinking that this doesn't just have to be for formal interview invitations. I've heard of POIs/DCTs randomly calling applicants for a chat (how nice and not at all stressful). If you're contacted by the program for any reason, feel free to post it and I can include that information.

Clinical PhD

Florida State University - 12/20 email to schedule pre-interview phone interview with POI.

Texas Tech University - 12/15 personal email from POI. Interview dates 2/10-2/11

University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa - 12/18 email from POI to schedule phone pre-interview. In-person interview TBD.

University of Kentucky - 12/19 email from POI. Interview dates 1/26-1/27.

University of North Texas Clinical health/Behavioral Medicine Consortium - 12/14 email from POI. Interview date 1/20

University of Southern California (clinical sciences) - 12/16 mass email from POI/program director. Interview 1/13

Clinical PsyD

Counseling Psych PhD/PsyD

Marquette University - 12/20 mass email from department chair assistant. Interview date 1/27

Oklahoma State - 12/15 email from training director. Interview dates 2/2, 2/3

University of California -- Santa Barbara - 12/12 POI contact via email to schedule Skype pre-interview. Interview dates 12/14, 12/19. Successful Skype interview will lead to an in-person interview.

University of Florida - 12/17 phone invite from POI.

University of Missouri Columbia - 12/9 Email from POI to schedule phone pre-interviews for 12/14 in order to determine who will be interviewed in the spring. 12/16 direct interview invite without pre-screening interview. Interview dates 1/20-1/21

University of Southern Mississippi - 12/7 Mass email. Interviews 2/3 only

University of Wisconsin - Madison - 12/20 email from program coord with admissions chair letter attached. Interview date 1/20

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee - 12/19 email invite from training director. Interview date 1/17 from 8:30am-mid/late afternoon.

School Psych PhD/PsyD

Northeastern University (PhD) - 12/12 Personalized email from program director, Interview date 2/17

University of California - Santa Barbara (PhD) - 12/17 email. Interview date 1/20

University of Minnesota (PhD) - 12/12 mass email, interview day 1/23

University of Nebraska (PhD) - 12/14 email from program director. Interview day 1/20

University of Texas - Austin (PhD)- 12/19 mass email. Interview date 2/10

University of Wisconsin - Madison - 12/19 mass email from POI. Interview date 1/27

Combined Programs

Univ. of California-Santa Barbara CCSP-- Skype interview invites received 12/7 (school track)

Non-applied PhD

University of California - Irvine (psychology and social behavior ) - 12/17 phone interview invite.

University of Nevada - Las Vegas (experimental) - phone interview ~12/7 in-person interview invites sent out by 12/16(ish)

If you're interested, here's the link to last year's thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=777932&highlight=Interview+Invite
Is this list updated as people post, or how does this thread work? Obviously it's impossible to keep track of these schools' interview dates reading through the thread, and I am afraid I'm going to miss something really, really importanr!!

Duh.. I'm an idiot. I guess it's being updated.

However, I bet it would be easier if you put it in the same format that's being used... for all our reading ease and pleasure.