2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I heard from Seton Hall Counseling PhD today via email from program coordinator. Interview March 9th

It was a personalized email with my name at top.

Did anyone else hear from SHU?

Members don't see this ad.

Offer of acceptance today from Colorado State University's Counseling Psychology.
I received an email and a phone call.
It sounded like today was their first day of notifications, but that's speculative.
No interview.
Good luck all! Thanks for the support and community.
Hi, thanks so much for this info! I know this isn't so likely, but do you have any indication as to whether all offers have been placed?

I received an acceptance from my top choice and opted to withdraw from my last three interviews. It was a tough choice but I asked myself if there was anything they could offer me that would change my mind, and the answer was no. I was in a unique situation since one I had interviewed at last year and another was working with a current mentor of mine. If there is even a chance that they could win you over, then I would encourage you to go. However, I wouldn't recommend going just to go. You are potentially taking up a spot for an applicant that really wants to go there and it creates more work for everyone involved in the process. Just as you are trying to find the best place for you to go, professors are trying to find the best student for their lab. I wanted to respect their search just as much as my own (and that of the other students that really do want to attend those programs). When I withdrew, everybody was very nice and appreciative.

Exactly my thinking as well. I would like to give up the spot for someone else that may be on the cusp. Especially since Im sure that I would choose the program I got accepted to over this one. Just wanted to make sure I went about the right way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a call from my POI at University of Maryland, College Park (Counseling psych phd) letting me know that they've offered admission to someone else but that I'm first on the wait list. This is just a shot in the dark, but if whoever got accepted reads this, Maryland is my top choice and I am dying to go there. I just hope you'll consider it and that you've got other offers that are more appealing to you. I have one other school I'll be interviewing at on Monday but Maryland really felt like a great fit for me. I really, really hope you'll go to another great doc program and give me a chance at this one.

That is without a doubt the saddest thing I have ever seen. You're really going to beg on an online forum that you want someone to give up their spot because you want it more? I'm sorry you weren't as good of a match as that person was, but you need to have some dignity in this situation.

That is without a doubt the saddest thing I have ever seen. You're really going to beg on an online forum that you want someone to give up their spot because you want it more? I'm sorry you weren't as good of a match as that person was, but you need to have some dignity in this situation.
While I agree that it's strange (and unnecessary, as no one is ever going to turn down an offer they want because an anonymous person on the internet asked them to), that's pretty strong language nonetheless.

Re the 'to interview or not to interview' debate, I'd agree that if you're unlikely to attend the school even if you interview, it's best to yield the spot to someone else. While it's true that even people who aren't interviewed have a shot via the waitlist, there might have been a slim difference between that individual and someone who was invited to interview, but that gap widens immeasurably when someone interviews in person vs. remains a name on a page. So I wouldn't cite that as a reason to hold onto an interview spot you don't really want. Also, I don't think any school considers it rude to give your spot to someone else if you know you aren't going to attend; I think it's courteous.

Interview invite-"Dear Applicant" email sent on 2/24. Interview on 3/16.

I just received a call from my POI at University of Maryland, College Park (Counseling psych phd) letting me know that they've offered admission to someone else but that I'm first on the wait list. This is just a shot in the dark, but if whoever got accepted reads this, Maryland is my top choice and I am dying to go there. I just hope you'll consider it and that you've got other offers that are more appealing to you. I have one other school I'll be interviewing at on Monday but Maryland really felt like a great fit for me. I really, really hope you'll go to another great doc program and give me a chance at this one.

wow what a fail.

Hey guys,

If the person who posted an acceptance to Case Western on TGC is on here, would you mind messaging me your POI? Thanks so much, and congrats!

Last edited:
I received the following interview updates:

Widener - nothing yet
Chestnut Hill - invitation to interview on March 2, 2012, received by email February 11, 2012
La Salle - invitation to interview on March 12, received by email February 24, 2012.
Immaculata University - Invitation to interview on March 3, 2012, received by email on January 27, 2011.

Hope that helps

does anyone know what's up with the following programs:

widener
chestnut hill
lasalle
pcom

are there more interview dates? are they still sending out invites? anybody been rejected yet?

does anyone know what's up with the following programs:

widener
chestnut hill
lasalle
pcom

are there more interview dates? are they still sending out invites? anybody been rejected yet?

Widener has multiple interview days, so if you haven't heard from them it's possible that you haven't been selected yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been accepted to a program that I thought was my second-to-top choice (school 1), until I went through with an interview at a school I was really hoping I would not like for various reasons (funding, geography, student vibes). However because of the strong interest match at school 2 I can see it will be a very hard decision to make if I end up being accepted there.

Since I know there's a waitlist and people's trajectories are hanging in the balance, I would like to notify school 2 that I have received an acceptance and politely ask for a timeline on their decision-making process (this was suggested by the POI at school 1). I am not yet sure which school I would choose if I got into both, though I continue to lean slightly towards school 1 for numerous reasons although school 2 is an incredibly strong technical interest match.

Any advice on how to gracefully let school 2 know of my acceptance (or should I even bother)? What a process this is ...

Thanks for fielding this silly Q! :)

I have been accepted to a program that I thought was my second-to-top choice (school 1), until I went through with an interview at a school I was really hoping I would not like for various reasons (funding, geography, student vibes). However because of the strong interest match at school 2 I can see it will be a very hard decision to make if I end up being accepted there.

Since I know there's a waitlist and people's trajectories are hanging in the balance, I would like to notify school 2 that I have received an acceptance and politely ask for a timeline on their decision-making process (this was suggested by the POI at school 1). I am not yet sure which school I would choose if I got into both, though I continue to lean slightly towards school 1 for numerous reasons although school 2 is an incredibly strong technical interest match.

Any advice on how to gracefully let school 2 know of my acceptance (or should I even bother)? What a process this is ...

Thanks for fielding this silly Q! :)

When both have great qualities and a great POI to work with, you should start thinking about $$, which program is in a better city, lower rent (would you have to room with someone else/alone), creating a budget and see if one program is better accommodating than the other one. Although it seems both programs are incredible, you should also go with your gut and pick the one you'd really like to go.

What do you mean by "no word"?
I'm interviewing at VCU this Friday for clinical track.

Just received an offer for admission from VCU child track. "No word" meant I had not heard back from them after my interview. I'm holding the offer - haven't accepted, as I am waiting on other schools.

And you're going to be a clinical psychologist? Have some compassion.

Interview invite from North Dakota State University's Psychological Clinical Science Program via email today (2/25) from POI. Skype or phone interview sometime this next week.

Can the person/people who got accepted at VCU or CWRU PM their POI please? Thanks!

When both have great qualities and a great POI to work with, you should start thinking about $$, which program is in a better city, lower rent (would you have to room with someone else/alone), creating a budget and see if one program is better accommodating than the other one. Although it seems both programs are incredible, you should also go with your gut and pick the one you'd really like to go.

thank you! this is very helpful ... this is increasingly what i'm leaning towards. :) i can't discount how "right" program 1 feels (and funding is much better as well as many other factors).

Did anyone go to the interview day at UMBC on Friday? If so, would you mind PMing me? Thanks! :)

Was this for the applied developmental program?

Not sure if applied developmental had their interviews on Friday or not, but I know the clinical track did. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has interviewed at UMBC this year for any track-- please PM me! Thanks in advance!

If the person who posted in TGC regarding an acceptance to Yeshiva's School-Clinical Psy.D. is on here please PM me!

If someone who got into the combined school-clinical at yeshiva sees this: Was the email you received a mass email? When I called the admissions department I was told that most of the acceptances had been sent out and that the rest would be sent out later in the week along with the waitlist. I was wondering if it seemed like this email was done alphabetically, or if whoever I spoke to on the phone was just trying to sugar coat it and maybe all the acceptances had already sent out. Pleaseee let me know! This waiting is killing me!

Widener has multiple interview days, so if you haven't heard from them it's possible that you haven't been selected yet.

They typically send out invites in waves too (at least they did back when I applied several years ago - on internship now). I was one of the last to receive an interview and some who were in the first waves had already received acceptances! :eek: Don't worry if you get a late interview offer though - I think I interviewed on their last day or second to last day and got in (though I chose to go elsewhere).

I'm curious to hear if anyone knows if all interview invites for the University of Denver PsyD program have been extended? I've not been notified either way and my status on-line still says 'decision unavailable'. I know there were interviews this past weekend and more this coming week, so I assume it's not a good sign that I haven't heard. Would love to hear from someone in the know or anyone who interviewed! Thanks!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/psychology-internship/

You guys are the future of psychology, and there are faculty and graduate students all over the country working hard right now to protect your training and fix the ever-growing internship crisis. Please consider reading this letter, and if you agree with it, PLEASE sign it. You can sign anonymously, easily.

Received an email from coordinator offering admission into Tennessee State Counseling Psychology . . . excited!:D

Did anyone apply to Gallaudet? I haven't seen anyone mention it so far.. would like to know if anyone as heard back.. thanks!

I have seen that one person received an acceptance to Yeshiva's School-Clinical Psy.D. and one person received an acceptance to C.W. Post's Clinical Psy.D. Has anyone else heard anything from these programs?

Has anyone who interviewed at USC accepted an offer or been wait listed? I believe the DCT said they would be making departmental decisions but I haven't seen anything on GSC or here regarding either...a PM would be very much appreciated!

Program: CW Post Long Island
Notification: Interview Invitation via e-mail from admissions director
Date: 2/28/12
Dates offered: 3/5 and 3/2

Anyone heard from ....?
University of Cincinnati Clinical PhD
or
St. Louis University Clinical PhD

SLU sent out invitation invites and are doing their interviews thursday and friday of this week.

Did anyone else get a "CORRECTION" email from UAB yeserday (2/27)? I did, and it appears to be a general email making reference to several psych PhD programs. In it they apologized for their "mistake" of saying I was not necesarily not being invited to interview day. The email stated that myapplication had been misfiled and was now found and and is being reviewed. I will call tomorrow as I have heard nothing else and do not know what the possible outcomes might be. I do now notification at this stage for an interview 3/4 - 3/5 is rather short notice. As if the process is not stressful enough when the process goes smoothly. If you would rather PM me, that is fine also.

Just received an offer for admission from VCU child track. "No word" meant I had not heard back from them after my interview. I'm holding the offer - haven't accepted, as I am waiting on other schools.

Clinical child track? Would you mind PMing your POI?

Did anyone else get a "CORRECTION" email from UAB yeserday (2/27)? I did, and it appears to be a general email making reference to several psych PhD programs. In it they apologized for their "mistake" of saying I was not necesarily not being invited to interview day. The email stated that myapplication had been misfiled and was now found and and is being reviewed. I will call tomorrow as I have heard nothing else and do not know what the possible outcomes might be. I do now notification at this stage for an interview 3/4 - 3/5 is rather short notice. As if the process is not stressful enough when the process goes smoothly. If you would rather PM me, that is fine also.

I got this too! I sent an email to the address they put in the email and the department to express my concerns. I received a quick email back from the one listed in the email telling me I shouldn't be concerned; however I am not very comforted. The interview date is supposed to be within a week - meaning that all invites were likely extended - and my application may not have been fairly considered...feel free to PM me or post up on here if you hear anything and I will be sure to do the same

Will do! Those are certainly my concerns also. Although there is an amazing research match with my POI, Why would we not worry about it! Is this reflective of the state of the program itself?

Has anyone heard anything post-interview from LIU - Brooklyn for their PhD in Clinical Psych?

I got this too! I sent an email to the address they put in the email and the department to express my concerns. I received a quick email back from the one listed in the email telling me I shouldn't be concerned; however I am not very comforted. The interview date is supposed to be within a week - meaning that all invites were likely extended - and my application may not have been fairly considered...feel free to PM me or post up on here if you hear anything and I will be sure to do the same

I received the same email, and it has me very concerned. I am upset by the idea that my application may have not been fairly reviewed, but hopefully they find a way to address this. Let me know if either of you hear anything!

Has anyone recieved an interview invitation from the CUNY School Psych program?

Congrats to the Grad Cafe Poster who received an acceptance from Yeshiva Clinical PhD. Could you possibly PM me, I would love some details if possible. Thanks!

Well, looks like all those acceptance emails went out. Does anyone know anything about waitlisting? When would they inform you of that?

Also I applied last year (rejected as well) and was offered an MA and (stupidly) didn't take it. Any idea how i'd find out if I was accepted for this again, other than to wait for my rejection letter to come?

Thanks

Well, looks like all those acceptance emails went out. Does anyone know anything about waitlisting? When would they inform you of that?

Also I applied last year (rejected as well) and was offered an MA and (stupidly) didn't take it. Any idea how i'd find out if I was accepted for this again, other than to wait for my rejection letter to come?

Thanks

How do you know that all the acceptance's went out already??

Thanks
I would not give up yet. I received my acceptance letter today and they honestly appear fairly individual. They accept a large class there may still be hope.