2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to everyone accepted off the Hold list. I've been On Hold for a while now. However, I recently noticed, when I sign onto the Admissions Checklist page, that there is a new checklist for "Accepted/Alternate," including things like immunizations. Does this mean anything? Was I moved to accepted/alternate, or am I still on hold? :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone accepted off the Hold list. I've been On Hold for a while now. However, I recently noticed, when I sign onto the Admissions Checklist page, that there is a new checklist for "Accepted/Alternate," including things like immunizations. Does this mean anything? Was I moved to accepted/alternate, or am I still on hold? :xf:

It happened to me last year and again just recently. Most likely, you've been moved to the Alternate list and your snail-mail letter telling you so is on the way.

Do you have an item on your checklist saying "Acceptance Response Form"?
The wait is killing me, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an item on your checklist saying "Acceptance Response Form"?
The wait is killing me, I can't believe it's been almost a year since I applied.

Yep, I do. I think if you have the option of paying your deposit on that checklist then you've been accepted. Without that, you're most likely alternate-listed.

I was in your position last year and it was extremely frustrating and an emotional drain waiting for updates. I don't know if it's your only hope at this point in the season, but it was mine. I completed everything on that checklist and, ultimately, unfortunately, was not accepted. It's a long haul that goes deep into the summer, and I wish you and anyone else in our position the best.

It's interesting...i was accepted on Friday but my checklist hasn't changed yet.

Recently accepted and looking for off-campus housing/roommates? Shoot me a PM.

Confused about award letter....

I was offered around 48k in perkins, direct grad plus, and direct med unsubsidized and that is it!

This isn't even enough to cover tuition for a year.

Am I missing something here?

Confused about award letter....

I was offered around 48k in perkins, direct grad plus, and direct med unsubsidized and that is it!

This isn't even enough to cover tuition for a year.

Am I missing something here?

You take out the rest in Grad Plus

Yep, I do. I think if you have the option of paying your deposit on that checklist then you've been accepted. Without that, you're most likely alternate-listed.

I was in your position last year and it was extremely frustrating and an emotional drain waiting for updates. I don't know if it's your only hope at this point in the season, but it was mine. I completed everything on that checklist and, ultimately, unfortunately, was not accepted. It's a long haul that goes deep into the summer, and I wish you and anyone else in our position the best.

Hey Guys, I was just accepted to SUNY Downstate! Got the call at about 11:30 am, after having seen my checklist changed (white coat, immunizations, etc...). HOWEVER, there was no link to "Pay the deposit"...so there is hope for everybody still on HOLD FOR SPRING (where I was). I am still in disbelief!

Hey Guys, I was just accepted to SUNY Downstate! Got the call at about 11:30 am, after having seen my checklist changed (white coat, immunizations, etc...). HOWEVER, there was no link to "Pay the deposit"...so there is hope for everybody still on HOLD FOR SPRING (where I was). I am still in disbelief!

Congratulations! Are you coming?

YUP! I am a 100% sure I am going to SUNY Downstate...are you a first year now? I am wondering whether I should commute from about 40 mins away or move to Brooklyn?

YUP! I am a 100% sure I am going to SUNY Downstate...are you a first year now? I am wondering whether I should commute from about 40 mins away or move to Brooklyn?

Are you the lecture going type? Most of our lectures are optional and commuting is easier if you don't attend those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any other applicants on the "Hold for Spring" list noticed a change to their checklists? If so, did you also receive a call or email confirming your acceptance?

How is parking in the area? Is there a parking structure that is safe to park a car? Are car break ins/ smashed windows a concern if parking on street?

Also does anyone know if I can get instate tuition if i live at a relatives plAce for1-2 months before moving to an apartment?

How is parking in the area? Is there a parking structure that is safe to park a car? Are car break ins/ smashed windows a concern if parking on street?

Also does anyone know if I can get instate tuition if i live at a relatives plAce for1-2 months before moving to an apartment?

I think there are 3rd party parking lots open.
I see broken glass on the sidewalks all the time but I'm not sure where it comes from.

Got my alternate form in the mail today... better than the hold list, I suppose.

Got my alternate form in the mail today... better than the hold list, I suppose.

I'm expecting mine in the mail soon. Sadly, I think everyone on the Hold list who was not rejected or accepted is now on the alternate list.. so it's probably quite a long list. Best of luck to us all.

I have that feeling as well.

same here. seems like a bunch of us recently moved to the alternate list. i wonder how the order of us being plucked off the alternate list is determined at this point? does the adcom still have a say, or do you think a set order has been determined?

same here. seems like a bunch of us recently moved to the alternate list. i wonder how the order of us being plucked off the alternate list is determined at this point? does the adcom still have a say, or do you think a set order has been determined?

dunno, i didn't ask the admissions office. I don't know if they would answer that question anyway haha.

Hi everyone,
I also recently got accepted off the waitlist (Last Friday, 4:30PM I believe).
Does anyone know if there is an existing thread for Downstate class of 2016 students?
Would like to get to know some of my fellow classmates before school starts!

I called about a week ago and they told me that the list isn't ranked and they go through the list from time to time to give out acceptances. I also asked how many people are on the list at this point, but she didn't know.

Finally decided to withdraw from Downstate. Good luck to everyone - hope one of you guys gets the spot!

actually there are a lot of nice places in brooklyn
park slope, williamsburg, coney island

I meant it in a good way. I regard brooklyn as the biggest playground in the world - I love it. My favorite part is Brighton Beach, because all the signs are in cyrillic and it's like you get off the L and you're in Odessa - truly a wonderful neighborhood; I am surprised that the area hasn't taken to a gentrification swing like Williamsburg...

I meant it in a good way. I regard brooklyn as the biggest playground in the world - I love it. My favorite part is Brighton Beach, because all the signs are in cyrillic and it's like you get off the L and you're in Odessa - truly a wonderful neighborhood; I am surprised that the area hasn't taken to a gentrification swing like Williamsburg...

Cool story bro, except the L is nowhere near Brighton Beach ;)

hey guys, deciding between downstate and stonybrook...would anyone like to offer any advice as to this decision? not sure if this was covered somewhere in the forum

depends on what you want out of your 4 years. stony brook is better in terms of some things, downstate others. im sure you have a pretty good sense of what those differences are. stony brook seemed a tiny bit more competitive to me, more into research/international opportunities. downstate of course good for its clinical exposure. location-wise, inner city vs coastal suburbia. a lot of cool places around stony brook. it's literally 2 minutes from west meadow beach, not much further to parks, and near a lot of cool "new-englandy" maritime villages like Port Jefferson, Setauket, Northport, etc. Downstate, of course, is a subway ride from very fun hipstery neighborhoods like Park Slope, Williamsburg, etc.
Depends what you're looking for, really.

hey guys, deciding between downstate and stonybrook...would anyone like to offer any advice as to this decision? not sure if this was covered somewhere in the forum

downstate's clinical rotations are better. you get more patient contact 3rd and 4th year plus you get to do more procedures than most medical students do at other schools, stony brook included.

My checklist doesn't have my alt list response form which used to be an checkmark* as well as some other transcripts that I sent in from schools tht I took courses in. lol does this mean they've rejected me?

Last edited:
My checklist doesn't have my alt list response form which used to be an X as well as some other transcripts that I sent in from schools tht I took courses in. lol does this mean they've rejected me?

No idea, but mine did the same thing.

My checklist doesn't have my alt list response form which used to be an checkmark* as well as some other transcripts that I sent in from schools tht I took courses in. lol does this mean they've rejected me?

do they even reject alternate-listed applicants at this point? i thought they keep us on throughout the summer, until we're either accepted or have given up hope.
by the way, my alternate response form and transcripts disappeared too. just the usual rearranging i'd imagine. hopefully.

do they even reject alternate-listed applicants at this point? i thought they keep us on throughout the summer, until we're either accepted or have given up hope.
by the way, my alternate response form and transcripts disappeared too. just the usual rearranging i'd imagine. hopefully.

haha probably not. Yup probably just their system rearranging stuff. Iono why I posted that, probably just to post something in this thread.

Has anyone who has completed the study styles inventory not seen it show up in your checklist? It's been 2 weeks since I completed it and it's still not showing up as submitted.

Has anyone who has completed the study styles inventory not seen it show up in your checklist? It's been 2 weeks since I completed it and it's still not showing up as submitted.

where did you get the study styles form?

also is it just me or has the checklist been down for a couple of days now?

where did you get the study styles form?

also is it just me or has the checklist been down for a couple of days now?

the link to the study styles should have been provided in your alternate packet.
my checklist is back up.

anyone get accepted off the alternate list recently? this thread seems pretty dead lately.

the link to the study styles should have been provided in your alternate packet.
my checklist is back up.

anyone get accepted off the alternate list recently? this thread seems pretty dead lately.

my packet had the yellow fin aid packet, the health packet, a letter saying im on the alt list, and that's it. I kinda skimmed thru everything maybe I missed it.

my checklist is back up.

No word on my end re alt list movement. Any chance you can provide the link for the study styles? I can't seem to locate it in my packet.

Sooo crickets all around? Seems to be getting a little late in the game for no alternate list movement...

Status
Not open for further replies.