2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say stick to a twelve month lease that starts BEFORE August 1st. To be on the safe side, have it started by July 1 or July 15. Any later than that is "cutting it close" in terms of getting all of the other papers in on time (last minute rent check stubs, utility bills, etc).

Got a lease for August 1st. Rent due at the beginning of the month. By July 2nd next year, I had 12 cancelled rent checks to submit with my application for in-state tuition, which was approved.

Your mileage may vary, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Several from my class lived in Sunset Park. You could get to Downstate from the Latino part of the neighborhood on the B35. From the Chinatown part you'd either need to drive or do a sort-of-long train ride. Though, the N is express to Atlantic for the 5 express to Downstate, and plenty of people (including plenty in Park Slope) have commutes that long.

One Chinese guy also drove from Flushing everyday, and the longest commute I heard of was the LIRR in from the Island everyday to the subway at Atlantic. I wouldn't overblow the importance of being near campus.

Prospect Heights proper (west of Washington Ave) is somewhat recently gentrified and nowadays offers some of the best of Brooklyn at a price to match, if maybe a touch below Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights. Generally convenient to Downstate on the 2.

Crown Heights is where most of the apartments advertised as Prospect Heights actually reside, as NYC realtors get tend to get creative with the boundaries of rich neighborhoods to include adjacent poorer neighborhoods. You may even see "ProCro" thrown out there to try to cross-sell the western part of the neighborhood. Historically split between somewhat insular Lubavitch Jewish community and West Indian community. Convenient to Downstate at the Franklin Ave stop - this area historically Caribbean, currently experiencing a big white yuppie influx as places like Prospect Heights become unaffordable to most. (see ilovefranklinave.blogspot.com)

Park Slope gentrified in the 1970s, now one of the most notoriously bougie liberal neighborhoods in the country. A lot of fancy bars/cafes and people that bring their babies in expensive strollers to same. Convenient to Downstate if near the 2 train. Many students live here even if their commute's not the best because it's so nice. Priced as you'd expect. Ranked #1 in this Nymag comprehensive NYC neighborhood listing: http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/

Very thorough and spot on post in terms of describing local DS neighborhoods! Anyone considering living off campus should read through this brief post and get an idea of what they want out of their living situation next year.

Just received an acceptance package this morning via next-day UPS shipping (date of shipment was 5/15)! Interviewed 2/8, placed on the alternate list 4/10 and sent a letter of intent shortly after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an acceptance package this morning via next-day UPS shipping (date of shipment was 5/15)! Interviewed 2/8, placed on the alternate list 4/10 and sent a letter of intent shortly after.

Congratulations! Are you coming?

Accepted off the alt list yesterday! Will be attending. I live only 20min away in Nassau. Not sure whether or not I'll live at home for 1st semester/year to save some cash. Thoughts?

Maybe a current student or someone in this same position could help give me some insight.

I am currently accepted at another MD program, and I am sitting on the "hold for spring consideration" list at Downstate. I want to do the 4-year MD/MPH program at Downstate, and today received my acceptance to the MPH program. The acceptance letter noted that I remain under consideration for MD admission, but if I don't get in to the MD program I will be considered an MPH student. Obviously, I will attend med school elsewhere if I don't get into Downstate's MD program.

MPH classes start on June 11th. I am not going to show up unless I have been accepted to both programs, as it would be a waste of time and money to start classes, not be admitted to MD, and have to withdraw. Let's say, hypothetically, that I don't get accepted to Downstate until late-June. Would I be able to begin classes late and still finish the combined degree program in four years?

What a predicament! I think they should accept you immediately! Go floppenheim!

Hi incoming students!

My girlfriend is living in a house with 2 other quiet girls one block from campus. She is looking for one more female roommate. It is a nice place with a large living room, kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, wifi, and cable tv. It is in a safe place and 4 other students live in the house next door.
The landlady is very kind and responsive!

Rent is around $645 per month and you can move in anytime during the summer. It is perfect for students looking to get New York state residency or who want to avoid the restrictions of the dormitory. You would also get advice from upper class students!

Contact me for lots of pictures and more information. [email protected]

Thanks!

Never mind I got admitted via snail mail straight from hold list today!

Maybe a current student or someone in this same position could help give me some insight.

I am currently accepted at another MD program, and I am sitting on the "hold for spring consideration" list at Downstate. I want to do the 4-year MD/MPH program at Downstate, and today received my acceptance to the MPH program. The acceptance letter noted that I remain under consideration for MD admission, but if I don't get in to the MD program I will be considered an MPH student. Obviously, I will attend med school elsewhere if I don't get into Downstate's MD program.

MPH classes start on June 11th. I am not going to show up unless I have been accepted to both programs, as it would be a waste of time and money to start classes, not be admitted to MD, and have to withdraw. Let's say, hypothetically, that I don't get accepted to Downstate until late-June. Would I be able to begin classes late and still finish the combined degree program in four years?

Accepted off the alt list yesterday! Will be attending. I live only 20min away in Nassau. Not sure whether or not I'll live at home for 1st semester/year to save some cash. Thoughts?

GreyOwl, when were you placed on the alternate list and when did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

It depends what your priorities are. Is the convenience worth living in East Flatbush in a dilapidated dormitory? Personally I liked staying here first year because I met some good peeps, but in retrospect I'm not sure if I'd make the same decision.

Thanks for the perspective everyone. I think I'm going to live off-campus.

If anyone got into Stony Brook and/or Upstate as well as here and chose to attend Downstate, do you mind sharing your experiences at the other schools and your reasoning for choosing downstate over them? Thanks a lot and congrats to all of you!

Anyone with from cali planning to ship their car over?

How much does this cost/ what are things that I need to consider?

If anyone got into Stony Brook and/or Upstate as well as here and chose to attend Downstate, do you mind sharing your experiences at the other schools and your reasoning for choosing downstate over them? Thanks a lot and congrats to all of you!

I thought about this because I was accepted to Upstate, Downstate, and was on waitlist for Stony. (I wouldve chosen Downstate even if I got into Stony)

Here is my reasoning:
All 3 about same tuition.
Location wise, Downstate is closer to home so much more convenient to move in and get supplies
At Stonybrook, it's recommended to have a car... which I dont have one
Downstate is better known for clinical teaching, which I find important.
Their curriculum are about the same.
Stonybrook has more research opportunities, but honestly I'm only have time to work on 1 project or so, so the selection wont matter much. It's not like I'm going to medical school to pursue my research interestes.

So Upstate was definitely my last choice... b/c nothing it had was better than stony or downstate. Stony was less convenient than Downstate and its clinical education isn't as well known.

Hey guys, I was accepted off of alternate list. So grateful for this opportunity. If there're MD/PhD applicants or students here, could you answer some of my questions? Thanks in advance..

How long does it take the admissions office to respond to emails? I sent a few emails over the course of the application cycle and they have responded quickly to some and not responded to others at all.

I'm wondering if it might be a problem with my email.

Anyone with from cali planning to ship their car over?

How much does this cost/ what are things that I need to consider?

I'm from Cali; definitely *not* planning to ship my car over. Gonna live like a New Yorker in New York.

Just got my acceptance package in the mail... I'm so excited to meet everyone this August!

Can Someone please post the facebook page link, I'm searching for it but every year except 2016 is popping up

I'm from Cali; definitely *not* planning to ship my car over. Gonna live like a New Yorker in New York.

+1 While I am known to drive one block to go to the supermarket in CA rather than walk, I am leaving my car behind when I head over :p. I heard it's really more of a hindrance than a help in NY. Plus, when in Rome...

I understand the whole don't bring a car to NYC thing, but I have family I would like to visit every so often in long island.

I am seriously considering living in flushing/queens for a number of personal reasons... Is this a bad idea?

Is it that difficult to commute to suny downstate with a car?

Is there any area inbetween flushing/suny downstate that would be a convenient place to live?

Also are classes M-F, and is it mandatory to go to each class?

Thanks for all the help.

I understand the whole don't bring a car to NYC thing, but I have family I would like to visit every so often in long island.

I am seriously considering living in flushing/queens for a number of personal reasons... Is this a bad idea?

Is there any area inbetween flushing/suny downstate that would be a convenient place to live?

Thanks for all the help.

Usually morning classes are not mandatory and then there is an afternoon activity with attendance.

Usually morning classes are not mandatory and then there is an afternoon activity with attendance.

Hey, if you haven't already and if you have the time, can you please make a big post discussing everything you like/dislike about downstate? Such as costs, clinicals, lecture styles, housing, neighboring area, etc.?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Thanks for all the help.

Someone I know lives in Queens and drives everyday so it's fine. It's just inconvenient. Like you have to make sure you leave well in advanced before exams, in case theres traffic. You won't get the time lost back for the test.

Most ppl who drives to Downstate live in Brooklyn.

If you take subway to flushing, the inbetween area would be Manhattan. If you drive, just look at the map and find a exit near the highway thats in the middle.

Classes are M-F. morning is usually not mandatory

Hey, if you haven't already and if you have the time, can you please make a big post discussing everything you like/dislike about downstate? Such as costs, clinicals, lecture styles, housing, neighboring area, etc.?

It has been discussed pretty extensively already but to sum it up

Like = Cost, clinicals
Dislike = overall condition [ie no AC in dorms, no/bad reception in hospitals]

Lectures are recorded, slides are posted, and recordings are transcribed so you don't have to go to most lectures.

I'm comfortable walking around the area up to one block around the school. Further than that, most people would not want to walk around alone at night.

Lectures are recorded, slides are posted, and recordings are transcribed so you don't have to go to most lectures.

I'm comfortable walking around the area up to one block around the school. Further than that, most people would not want to walk around alone at night.

Wow, 1 block really? So I guess raising a family around there is out of the question?

Wow, 1 block really? So I guess raising a family around there is out of the question?

I would say you wouldn't want to walk around the school alone at night in general. Immediately proximal to the school, you are going to be pretty safe, because no one is going to hassle you right outside of BSB, HSEB, or the dorms. Beyond that, you should always be with someone else. This holds true for any of the areas that are deemed "less safe" in NYC.

I think one can raise a family there...maybe not our demograhic per se, but people who live in the area do have families.

Accepted off the "hold" list today! Will be declining, however. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Accepted off the "hold" list today! Will be declining, however. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Congrats! By the way, I've been trying to log into the status page for a couple days now, and it's not working. Anyone else having the same issue?

Accepted off the hold list today and will be attending. Good luck to everyone else!

Accepted from the hold list! Still deciding if I'll be attending...

Good luck to everyone else!

Acceptances from Hold list via snail mail, email, or status page?

You will always be worried about their safety. Not really a great idea. Not to mention the fact that the food choices are pretty poor in the area around the school. (Good if you like junk food though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.