2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Do any of you know whether having a co-signer on your lease (e.g. parent) will prevent you from being considered "financially independent" for financial aid or state residency (for those whose parents live out-of-state)? I'm hoping I will not be required to have one, but I'm not sure if I will be required to or not.

I don't think it should matter. Whoever's name on the lease can just write a notarized message saying you have lived there.

Do we need to get a lease signed by July or August to get instate for next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Do any of you know whether having a co-signer on your lease (e.g. parent) will prevent you from being considered "financially independent" for financial aid or state residency (for those whose parents live out-of-state)? I'm hoping I will not be required to have one, but I'm not sure if I will be required to or not.

Also, this is a little random, but I was wondering if anyone has an estimate for the cost of textbooks/specifically required class supplies for the first year...

Last question: I know I'm thinking a little ahead, but I'm planning to have my lease end around the end of June next year and was wondering if I will have the option of living in the dorm starting during the summer if I end up staying to do research and decide to leave my apartment.

I doubt it matters, but as tour guides we were told many times that students should check the downstate site and consult the admissions office. Please call the admissions office. Application activity has calmed down now so they certainly won't mind your phone call.
Supplies - Stethoscope anywhere from 30-200USD, BP Cuff 10 . Gloves for anatomy 15. For anatomy only a dissector which you can get for 25 USD is required. Don't need other texts but a lot of people get texts that can total up to 200 depending on how much you like learning from textbooks.

Also need netters/thieme for an atlas, I would suggest a book for biochem and physio as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Are you looking for an apartment near Downstate starting July 1st?

I am a current second year in the college of medicine. I live in a 4 bedroom apartment that is about 2 blocks from school. One of the bedrooms in the apartment will be available this summer. Rent is about $600-700 + utilities (depends which room ends up being available) and there is a 1 year lease. Please send me a PM if you or someone you know is interested.

Thanks.

I called the admissions office earlier this week to ask about the "Hold for Spring Consideration" list. They told me that from this list you can either be: accepted, placed on the wait list, or rejected. They also told me that this list will be reviewed before the wait list.

My personal interpretation of this is that any open spots will first be filled by accepted students from the hold list before the wait list. Anyone agree or disagree... or have any other information regarding this?

lol posted in the wrong thread

Last edited:
I called the admissions office earlier this week to ask about the "Hold for Spring Consideration" list. They told me that from this list you can either be: accepted, placed on the wait list, or rejected. They also told me that this list will be reviewed before the wait list.

My personal interpretation of this is that any open spots will first be filled by accepted students from the hold list before the wait list. Anyone agree or disagree... or have any other information regarding this?

Sounds fishy. From last year's thread it looks like first they start accepting off the alt list, and then people from hold start rolling into the alt list or getting accepted off the bat. Only time will tell.

Although this seems to be the opposite of what happened in last year's thread, it would make sense, since the "hold" letter does state that the adcom has chosen not to render a decision. Perhaps they were stuck between accepting you and putting you on the WL and with new information from applicants, those on hold will get in before WL movement. Wishful thinking, haha.

Although this seems to be the opposite of what happened in last year's thread, it would make sense, since the "hold" letter does state that the adcom has chosen not to render a decision. Perhaps they were stuck between accepting you and putting you on the WL and with new information from applicants, those on hold will get in before WL movement. Wishful thinking, haha.

I went from Hold to acceptance w/o going thru an alternate list.

Also for supplies it shouldn't cost that much. As for textbooks, the only book you NEED is Grants Dissector. Other important books are Moore, and Netters (or any other atlas). I bought my Netters and literally used it once cause there's a pdf file of it so I just used the computer version. I also bought Both the big and baby Moores and the Rohen atlas. Big Moore is not neccessary in my opinion. Baby is more than enough. Rohen is good if you have time to go thru it but I never do so I ended up not using it.

With that said, you can just sell the books back to next year's students (or online), and your net cost is really not much at all.

When did you come off the hold list for the acceptance? And do you know if people who were on alt or hold lists given acceptance around the same time?

It's pretty random.. but they are all pretty late. There's a lot of ppl from the alternate list in our class, also some from holds. I got off in ~middle of May. But there are ppl in our class who got off in April - August...

Hey guys quick question - do you know which CPR course Downstate requires/accepts? I know its the AHA one, and I'm guessing its the CPR/BLS Course for Healthcare Providers - but I just want to make sure. Also, does any one know any local areas in NYC that provides the course? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi fellow alternates,

I'm looking at the accepted/alternate list applicant checklist online and I see "missing x marks" next to a few items that I haven't even been requested to submit. These include:

admissions study styles inventory
acceptance response form (rightfully so..)
white coat form (also rightfully so...)
proof of USA citizenship

Did I miss those 2 other items or did we just not receive requests for them yet, since we are alternates?

Thanks!

Hi fellow alternates,

I'm looking at the accepted/alternate list applicant checklist online and I see "missing x marks" next to a few items that I haven't even been requested to submit. These include:

admissions study styles inventory
acceptance response form (rightfully so..)
white coat form (also rightfully so...)
proof of USA citizenship

Did I miss those 2 other items or did we just not receive requests for them yet, since we are alternates?

Thanks!

The only reqs for alternate are (1)Alt form, (2) transcripts, (3) bls cards, and (4) health forms. I have all my stuff in and also have the red X's but we wont have to address those unless we get the call up from triple A.

The only reqs for alternate are (1)Alt form, (2) transcripts, (3) bls cards, and (4) health forms. I have all my stuff in and also have the red X's but we wont have to address those unless we get the call up from triple A.
ok thank you!

Can someone tell me if there is a facebook group for the incoming class and if so what is the link/name of the group?

Can someone tell me if there is a facebook group for the incoming class and if so what is the link/name of the group?

Search on Facebook for "Downstate College of Medicine Class of 2016"...should come up. If not let me know so I can change the privacy settings.

Do we need to get a lease signed by July or August to get instate for next year?[/QUOTE]

According to http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/est_residency.html:

"The deadline for change of residency by matriculated students with appropriate documentation is one month prior to the registration date for your college for the next semester (you must file a change for residency status six weeks prior to the registration deadline that you wish to have the change in effect). The Application for continuing/returning students is available on-line and also in the Office of the Registrar."

Awww that's nice of them, they put up the specific date since the last time I checked it http://sls.downstate.edu/registrar/com/calendar/2012-2013.html:
"Fri., July 26 Last Day to Apply for New York State Residency for Fall 2013 Semester" (That's Friday, July 26, 2013).

So I guess July 26th is the due date of all the forms. I guess I would say a lease starting by July 20th of this year *might* be adequate... However, there is some paperwork that needs to go into it and pretty much everything needs to be notarized (dunno if this is the type of thing that can be done in 5 seconds or not, but I figure it's best to leave a few days' wiggle room, especially if some of the documents you are using as proof are in someone else's name and you need to rely on getting copies of the bills from them or statements written by them to verify).

I am heading over at the end of June, so I guess I will be there with plenty of time! :p

Do we need to get a lease signed by July or August to get instate for next year?

"The deadline for change of residency by matriculated students with appropriate documentation is one month prior to the registration date for your college for the next semester (you must file a change for residency status six weeks prior to the registration deadline that you wish to have the change in effect). The Application for continuing/returning students is available on-line and also in the Office of the Registrar."

Awww that's nice of them, they put up the specific date since the last time I checked it http://sls.downstate.edu/registrar/com/calendar/2012-2013.html:
"Fri., July 26 Last Day to Apply for New York State Residency for Fall 2013 Semester" (That's Friday, July 26, 2013).

So I guess July 26th is the due date of all the forms. I guess I would say a lease starting by July 20th of this year *might* be adequate... However, there is some paperwork that needs to go into it and pretty much everything needs to be notarized (dunno if this is the type of thing that can be done in 5 seconds or not, but I figure it's best to leave a few days' wiggle room, especially if some of the documents you are using as proof are in someone else's name and you need to rely on getting copies of the bills from them or statements written by them to verify).

I am heading over at the end of June, so I guess I will be there with plenty of time! :p[/QUOTE]

I called the financial office and they said that 10 months lease would be sufficient for the in-state tuition during the second year if you submit the application with the letter stating why you don't have a full 12 months lease. She also told me that it is okay to move over in August and you can still get an in-state tuition after first year.

Has anyone heard anything more?
I want to call admissions but their letter specifically said not to.....

I am heading over at the end of June, so I guess I will be there with plenty of time! :p

I called the financial office and they said that 10 months lease would be sufficient for the in-state tuition during the second year if you submit the application with the letter stating why you don't have a full 12 months lease. She also told me that it is okay to move over in August and you can still get an in-state tuition after first year.

I guess if that's what she said then it should be okay, but I personally feel safer adhering to the instructions laid out in writing on the website. It also seems strange that the financial aid office would be giving the okay for exceptions when we will be submitting all of our paperwork to the registrar's office but hey, I'm new to this school haha. I also don't really have a valid reason for not having a 12-month lease (unless the only reason we need to say is that we don't feel like it? Cost is not really a valid factor for me since I am paying rent where I live anyway, and my employment and the class I'm taking end in June!).

Last edited:
Over 90% of the OOSers get IS tuition after the first year, so if you get someone from the admissions office it's probably reliable (as long as they heard you correctly). It's probably better to get that sort of confirmation in email rather than on the phone.

If you interviewed lately and haven't heard a response they will probably get to you in the next few weeks. With that said, if you're on the alternate list, I think people should start hearing on or after May 15th since that is the date for those who are accepted to choose the school that they want to attend.

If you're on the hold list, you will probably start hearing around that time give a couple of weeks.

This is me speaking from my own experience and reflecting on my observations.

I interviewed first week of March and still haven't heard back, is that normal or has my app gone missing?

I interviewed first week of March and still haven't heard back, is that normal or has my app gone missing?

early march for me as well. looks like they are sorting through the final month of interviewees. should be any day now for all of us. :xf:
good luck!

I would say stick to a twelve month lease that starts BEFORE August 1st. To be on the safe side, have it started by July 1 or July 15. Any later than that is "cutting it close" in terms of getting all of the other papers in on time (last minute rent check stubs, utility bills, etc).

Called today about 'hold for spring'. They said they're going to review holds end of May/early June.

[FONT=Default Sans Serif,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Hello incoming class! I have a large spacious room for rent by downstate/kings county hospital for $800 all inclusive.
The apartment is walking distance from Downstate, located on Winthrop Street. It is a quiet, safe block, conveniently located near C-town, the subway, and laundromat. It's a newly renovated 2 story apartment with a large shared living room, 2 bathrooms, a spacious kitchen, and a balcony overlooking Winthrop street. There are 3 BR's total and will be shared with 4th year Downstate medical students. Female roommates preferred. Call or text any time for viewing. Room available June 1st, but move in date is negotiable. Perfect for incoming students at SUNY downstate medical school/nursing/PA or residents at kings county/downstate.

Call/text Laura Dhariwal at: (917) 415-2085
or email [email protected]
please dont message me on SDN, I barely check my messages. Best way to contact me is calling/texting or email. Please let me know you saw the ad on SDN. Thanks!!

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Hi guys, 2013 cycle applicant here. Just curious if anyone who knows would mind sharing the avg MCAT/GPA for students that matriculated at Downstate in 2010 and or 2011. I am wondering if the data on the LizzyM spreadsheet (3.7/32 matriculant averages) is current or out of date, and a reputable SDN poster told me that sometimes interviewees are given recent matriculant data in their interview folders. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi guys, 2013 cycle applicant here. Just curious if anyone who knows would mind sharing the avg MCAT/GPA for students that matriculated at Downstate in 2010 and or 2011. I am wondering if the data on the LizzyM spreadsheet (3.7/32 matriculant averages) is current or out of date, and a reputable SDN poster told me that sometimes interviewees are given recent matriculant data in their interview folders. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

We were given this information at orientation for our class...I don't remember what it was off the top of my head, but it was around there.

We were given this information at orientation for our class...I don't remember what it was off the top of my head, but it was around there.

Thanks very much! And that would be for the class of 2010 or 2011 I assume? Year doesn't really matter, I know it's gotten more competitive the past 5 years vs like 2005, but the averages have to stop rising at some point.

We were told 31 and 3.6 I think

Trying to find a place to live for my wife and I.
We are both Chinese and would love to live within an Asian community but price and areas with medical students are definitely more important. Also a place that is relatively safe and near a metro line to Manhattan would be good as well.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Any students live in/ or know about Sunset Park?

Trying to find a place to live for my wife and I.
We are both Chinese and would love to live within an Asian community but price and areas with medical students are definitely more important. Also a place that is relatively safe and near a metro line to Manhattan would be good as well.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Any students live in/ or know about Sunset Park?
No one lives in Sunset Park as far as I know. If you do you should get a car because public transit to there is at least 45 min to an hour each way. It probably takes a little less time to get to the LES but most students live around the school, or Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Park Slope.

Can someone tell me what the pros/cons of Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Park Slope are? Or what they are like?
I assume they have some differences? IE price, community, etc

Can someone tell me what the pros/cons of Prospect Heights, Crown Heights, Park Slope are? Or what they are like?

are both you and your wife going to be attending downstate next year? First years sometimes stay late for anatomy so living close by may not be a bad idea. Some of my friends found fairly decent housing 1-2 blocks away from around 600 per person..

I know someone who lives in/around Sunset park but she originally lived there... so she just drives to school..

hey everyone, so i have a quick question... i interviewed back on march 8th and was told it would be an 8-10 week wait for a response which would have landed me right before may 15. i just assumed they'd tell me after may 15. however, i decided to call the office today for the hell of it and they told me that a letter was sent out today and that i'll get it monday or tuesday. what could this mean? it's right before the may 15 date, so it couldn't be an acceptance... can it? nervous wreck right now... if it helps: 3.7 and 32...

hey everyone, so i have a quick question... i interviewed back on march 8th and was told it would be an 8-10 week wait for a response which would have landed me right before may 15. i just assumed they'd tell me after may 15. however, i decided to call the office today for the hell of it and they told me that a letter was sent out today and that i'll get it monday or tuesday. what could this mean? it's right before the may 15 date, so it couldn't be an acceptance... can it? nervous wreck right now... if it helps: 3.7 and 32...

if they sent a letter it's probably to be put on hold for spring. Acceptances/alternates this late are sent next day air.

I would say realistically that it is a 'hold for spring', or a rejection. I'm not saying an alt-list or acceptance is not possible by any means, but the former two seemed to be the more common ones lately, especially now that the waitlist is about to start moving. You can probably guess if its a rejection or hold from your interview though.

Just my 2 cents, and best of luck to all of us.

if they sent a letter it's probably to be put on hold for spring. Acceptances/alternates this late are sent next day air.

they actually didn't know when i would get it, it was just a guess since it was sent on a friday that i would "probably receive it next week" so i guess it COULD have been sent next day air... i have no idea... is it uncommon for them to send out alt/acceptances this late via next day air? thanks for all the feedback btw

Several from my class lived in Sunset Park. You could get to Downstate from the Latino part of the neighborhood on the B35. From the Chinatown part you'd either need to drive or do a sort-of-long train ride. Though, the N is express to Atlantic for the 5 express to Downstate, and plenty of people (including plenty in Park Slope) have commutes that long.

One Chinese guy also drove from Flushing everyday, and the longest commute I heard of was the LIRR in from the Island everyday to the subway at Atlantic. I wouldn't overblow the importance of being near campus.

Prospect Heights proper (west of Washington Ave) is somewhat recently gentrified and nowadays offers some of the best of Brooklyn at a price to match, if maybe a touch below Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights. Generally convenient to Downstate on the 2.

Crown Heights is where most of the apartments advertised as Prospect Heights actually reside, as NYC realtors get tend to get creative with the boundaries of rich neighborhoods to include adjacent poorer neighborhoods. You may even see "ProCro" thrown out there to try to cross-sell the western part of the neighborhood. Historically split between somewhat insular Lubavitch Jewish community and West Indian community. Convenient to Downstate at the Franklin Ave stop - this area historically Caribbean, currently experiencing a big white yuppie influx as places like Prospect Heights become unaffordable to most. (see ilovefranklinave.blogspot.com)

Park Slope gentrified in the 1970s, now one of the most notoriously bougie liberal neighborhoods in the country. A lot of fancy bars/cafes and people that bring their babies in expensive strollers to same. Convenient to Downstate if near the 2 train. Many students live here even if their commute's not the best because it's so nice. Priced as you'd expect. Ranked #1 in this Nymag comprehensive NYC neighborhood listing: http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/

Status
Not open for further replies.