2011-2012 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congratulations to all of you who just got accepted!! that's so exciting. if you don't mind, when did you interview?

The dean said that we get reviewed 1-2 weeks after our interview, so anyone who interviewed in September (and I'm one of last of September) should have received a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected! :D....oh wait, wrong emoticon...:confused:, there we go. lol, guess my interview didnt go well (IS, stats above their avg by fair bit).

Hey guys!
I'm just wondering - for those that are accepted - when do we have to submit the deposit by?

Also - how much $$ is the deposit?
Can an MS at SUNY comment on this?

II via status page. my first and I am very happy. Just a heads up. When I check the status page I never scroll down......I just click on the fall 2012 thing. I scrolled down today and there it was and I think it has been there for a while because it said. you have not picked an interview date yet. I almost dropped dead!
IS complete on 9/23. will pm stats

Requirement Received Note Status Committee/Faculty Ltr of Rec Oct 12, 2011 LOR - PDF Load Supplemental Application Fee Oct 04, 2011 CC Supplemental Application Oct 05, 2011 Supplemental Load Process

This is what I'm seeing...is this where you're looking? Jw:)

rejected! :D....oh wait, wrong emoticon...:confused:, there we go. lol, guess my interview didnt go well (IS, stats above their avg by fair bit).

Sorry to hear about that. I honestly thought that my interview was bad because my interviewer repeated the same question to me again but in just a different form. Guess you can't quite know until you actually hear from the school.

:laugh:

It's just been announced that SUNY Upstate is on probation with LCME. It starts in Feb 2012 so they might not formally let applicants know until then. Just an FYI.

It's just been announced that SUNY Upstate is on probation with LCME. It starts in Feb 2012 so they might not formally let applicants know until then. Just an FYI.

Where did you read this?

It was just announced, they are appealing, and I'm pretty sure they have to let all applicants know rather expediently. It mainly has to do with administrative issues like curriculum governance and timeliness of mid-clerkship feedback and grade reporting, and they were pleased with the curriculum itself.

Personally I agree that there are some problems there, but it is probably an over-reaction. The school should have no trouble addressing their concerns, so there is no danger of losing accreditation. There is going to be a forum on the issue tomorrow, so I'll find out more then.

Members don't see this ad :)
even if there's a very slim chance of suny upstate losing accreditation, is it fair to ask the interviewer(s) what caused the probation? I do want to know why...

Just googled about lcme and found that [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San Juan Bautista School of Medicine lost lcme accreditation on 10/3/2011 (the school is now suing lcme)... I guess it could happen...

Last edited:
Awwww the only place I actually had a chance to get into...and they waitlisted me pre-interview. FML :beat:

Probably very cruddy chances, but who knows. :shrug: At least it's not an outright rejection...

It was just announced, they are appealing, and I'm pretty sure they have to let all applicants know rather expediently. It mainly has to do with administrative issues like curriculum governance and timeliness of mid-clerkship feedback and grade reporting, and they were pleased with the curriculum itself.

Personally I agree that there are some problems there, but it is probably an over-reaction. The school should have no trouble addressing their concerns, so there is no danger of losing accreditation. There is going to be a forum on the issue tomorrow, so I'll find out more then.

Probably not an over-reaction. The dean of the medical school resigned.

Probably not an over-reaction. The dean of the medical school resigned.

Where is everyone getting this information from? Someone please post a link to a website or something to support all that has been said.

This is not technically public information because the school is not technically on probation, so this comes from communications from the administration to the current students. The administration was informed recently by the LCME that due to several citations they were recommending probation. The school is appealing, and the final decision whether or not to place the school on probation will not occur until February 9th, to be effective February 12th. At that time the school would be required to inform current and accepted students as well as current applicants. However, the administration elected to inform the members of school prior to that decision. Apparently, other schools have been faced with the threat of probation, were not ultimately placed on probation, and it never became public.

The previous poster is obviously a current (likely disgruntled) Upstate student who created a new account to protect their identity. The information is almost factual in that the school is not on probation yet, however it lacks appropriate context.

The resignation of Dean Scheinman is unfortunate but appropriate and does not reflect whether or not a recommendation of probation was warranted. The major issues involved the administration's ability to control the curriculum in the face of departmental resistance. This was a major systemic problem, and one that came to a head mere weeks before the LCME site visit last Spring. For all his excellent qualities, the Dean was too pragmatic in his approach, and at this juncture a more assertive leader will be key to making the necessary changes.

For those of you currently applying, you should understand that the quality of the educational program here was not questioned, and the school is extremely unlikely to lose accreditation even if the appeal fails. This was a wake up call to the department chairs and clerkship directors. The changes that must be put in place will make the program stronger and eliminate some of the departmental inertia that held the school back.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I might be busy but I'll get back to you when I can.

Well, even the recommendation of probation is certainly disconcerting... Just got an acceptance email this morning. Yay?

First interview invite (10/20), was completed on 9/28. IS. Hurray!!!:)

Well, even the recommendation of probation is certainly disconcerting... Just got an acceptance email this morning. Yay?

I won't disagree with disconcerting at all, from someone sitting in the thick of it. But I have to completely agree with BigRedder. We won't really know anything until February. For my part, I feel like the issues that the LCME had (see BigRedder's post) seemed pretty minor to justify this kind of a recommendation. When we received the email, I kept looking for something like "prostitution ring and sex scandal uncovered!". So, it was a bit...underwhelming. But the flip side of that is that it's not anything that will be difficult to fix.

Anyway, seconding BR's statement that if anyone has any questions that they don't want to post publicly, feel free to PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Hey everyone, also a medical student here, have been a lurker on this site for many years (thanks for all the help applying!). Just a first year here but went to college right across the street and have known Upstate for many years (they've always been great! loves to help us poor premeds) and they have been handling this somewhat depressing situation very well, in my opinion. Just today we had an open forum where the students, elected student officials and the deans/faculty could answer any major questions.

What was discussed today (sent as minutes to all students/faculty to which I am simply copying and pasting):
.- .LCME did NOT criticize quality of education or students
- LCME recognized that Upstate does above average on matching and boards. The issues they had were with governance - Upstate is put on probation pending appeal. Probation is not official until February 9th, 2012.
.-.There are individuals that are helping us appeal.
- We have a consultant working with the school that is a former dean, LCME member and former co-chair of the LCME.
.- .We are putting together an action plan and a timeline to be approved by the LCME.
- LCME is getting more stringent in general. In the past 2 years, more schools have been put on probation than in 15 years before. LCME is getting more strict. GWU, UT-San Antonio, Temple have been on probation.
- The problems that they cited have been the same way for years and never before cited as deficits.
.- .The school remains accredited.
.- .We did not need to make this public, but that is not consistent with our values.
- Several schools have been in this situation before and have not made the information public.

Thats the gist of it all. The entire minutes is very long but basically probation doesn't mean much and probably won't actually happen (50% of appeals go through). I was just talking to a few residents in the ER while I was shadowing and they basically told me it means nothing. One actually told me that he matched into a surgery residency three years ago that was also on probation by the LCME and nothing negative came of it. There's definitely no chance we will lose our accreditation and thats all that really matters right?

Oh and PM me if ya like and want more info.

If I've been put on hold does anyone know what steps I can take to show my interest in the school and maybe have them offer me an interview?

Those who got an acceptance e-mail september 17th, have you received your acceptance package? What day do we have to accept the offer by?

Interview invite! Just came at 8pm lol, that's a new one.

And wow, sounds like things are tough for Upstate at the moment. :|

Still love them!!
It doesn't seem like anyone got a final admissions decision today... I had thought Mondays were the notification day. I sat with my phone nervously all day lol.... does anyone know if they will be giving more acceptances/rejections sometime this week? I interviewed in early October...

From the looks of it, it seems that a lot of interview days are still available...

I haven't received my package yet. I'll probably email admissions on Thursday or Friday if I still haven't received it by then.

Also, it's nice to read about the probation thing on this thread and to see different opinions. It's not 100% reassuring, but is better than nothing.

cookiemonster12: I don't think anyone got called from Upstate. At least I didn't get one.

Received acceptance packet today. (live in NYS) I can't seem to find a deadline for when it needs to be submitted by, though. :confused:

I haven't received my package yet. I'll probably email admissions on Thursday or Friday if I still haven't received it by then.

Also, it's nice to read about the probation thing on this thread and to see different opinions. It's not 100% reassuring, but is better than nothing.

cookiemonster12: I don't think anyone got called from Upstate. At least I didn't get one.

Just wanted to remind all the accepted people that the final word about whether or not we're going to be put on probation will come day in February, and they'll let everyone know. You can hold multiple acceptances until May (I think?) so, you'll have all the information at your disposal when decision time comes around. In the mean time, we'll keep you guys posted if there's anything to keep you posted about, and you can always PM one of us.

I got an email several days ago informing me that I was put on hold at SUNY Upstate. Could anyone give me some tips as to what I can do to help me get an interview? For those put on hold but later received interview invites, did you just keep calling them to express your interest? How do I go about doing this in a professional way and without sounding awkward? What about sending update essays? Is that allowed if we're put on a pre-interview hold? What's the best way to write an update essay? Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone, also a medical student here, have been a lurker on this site for many years (thanks for all the help applying!). Just a first year here but went to college right across the street and have known Upstate for many years (they've always been great! loves to help us poor premeds) and they have been handling this somewhat depressing situation very well, in my opinion. Just today we had an open forum where the students, elected student officials and the deans/faculty could answer any major questions.

What was discussed today (sent as minutes to all students/faculty to which I am simply copying and pasting):
.- .LCME did NOT criticize quality of education or students
- LCME recognized that Upstate does above average on matching and boards. The issues they had were with governance - Upstate is put on probation pending appeal. Probation is not official until February 9th, 2012.
.-.There are individuals that are helping us appeal.
- We have a consultant working with the school that is a former dean, LCME member and former co-chair of the LCME.
.- .We are putting together an action plan and a timeline to be approved by the LCME.
- LCME is getting more stringent in general. In the past 2 years, more schools have been put on probation than in 15 years before. LCME is getting more strict. GWU, UT-San Antonio, Temple have been on probation.
- The problems that they cited have been the same way for years and never before cited as deficits.
.- .The school remains accredited.
.- .We did not need to make this public, but that is not consistent with our values.
- Several schools have been in this situation before and have not made the information public.

Thats the gist of it all. The entire minutes is very long but basically probation doesn't mean much and probably won't actually happen (50% of appeals go through). I was just talking to a few residents in the ER while I was shadowing and they basically told me it means nothing. One actually told me that he matched into a surgery residency three years ago that was also on probation by the LCME and nothing negative came of it. There's definitely no chance we will lose our accreditation and thats all that really matters right?

Oh and PM me if ya like and want more info.

True that. Upstate actually didn't even have to make this information public since the probation isn't official yet. So based on the increased stringency of the LCME, there are definitely more schools in this "pre-probation" limbo that simply aren't saying anything until (or if) the probation becomes official.

And I wouldn't freak out too much of the Dean's resignation. It's pretty much standard procedure (other schools on LCME probation switched deans as well). It's kind of like if a company goes in a new direction, they get a new CEO. It's just what happens.

Honestly, I worry about everything, but I'm really not worried in the least about this. Upstate has been around for over 100 years, and it isn't going anywhere. The changes that the LCME is asking for are pretty minor, too. Don't let this discourage you from going to a great school- I have been really impressed with the program here and I am getting an excellent education.

PM me if you have questions/concerns. I'm in a leadership role here so I'm pretty well educated about what's going on. (And again, I'm not concerned)

If available, please upload your Class List prior to your interview date (please only submit one document)....are they referring to a list of all your classes taken in undergad and grades?

If available, please upload your Class List prior to your interview date (please only submit one document)....are they referring to a list of all your classes taken in undergad and grades?
I could be wrong, but I believe that it means the classes that you are taking currently that are not in the AMCAS app. Why would they want a list of classes and grades that you already entered in AMCAS, right?

true, but current classes were also listed on AMCAS, so I'm not sure why any of this is necessary, haha

true, but current classes were also listed on AMCAS, so I'm not sure why any of this is necessary, haha

I only uploaded my Fall and Winter classes for this year. Those are the only ones that I could have changed since I submitted my primary app.

On the other hand, are those rooms next to each other or at two different places?
1217 Weiskotten Hall, 766 East Adams Street
1215 Weiskotten Hall, 766 Irving Avenue

I only uploaded my Fall and Winter classes for this year. Those are the only ones that I could have changed since I submitted my primary app.

On the other hand, are those rooms next to each other or at two different places?
1217 Weiskotten Hall, 766 East Adams Street
1215 Weiskotten Hall, 766 Irving Avenue

They're next to each other!

Interview is over! Now just need to wait!!! *holding my breath*

Interview Invite, first from my home-state. Uber excited, now for the question.......

For the interview essays, when they ask for your interest, are they referring too medical/health interest or just interest in general (chess, music, etc.)? Help!!!

:D

Can any current students comment on the competitiveness of the class?

I have heard from a few people that the classes are graded on a curve rather than with cutoffs at a few other schools I have interviewed at which sounds like it would make the environment less co-operative.

Anyone can tell me how do I know my application is in review? All I see is "Supplemental Load Process" but the Status column is blank. It's actually blank for every other entry.

Interview Invite, first from my home-state. Uber excited, now for the question.......

For the interview essays, when they ask for your interest, are they referring too medical/health interest or just interest in general (chess, music, etc.)? Help!!!

:D

I just got accepted!!! Mine were about my general non-medical interests. I think they have a lot of medical stuff from your primary and they'd like to get to know you as a person! Good luck!

I just got accepted!!! Mine were about my general non-medical interests. I think they have a lot of medical stuff from your primary and they'd like to get to know you as a person! Good luck!

Congrats!!! Are you OOS?

My secondary essays were about non medical stuffs as well, but make sure at the end it ties back to why it would help you become a successful physician.

Thanks!!! Congrats as well!!! :D

Anyone interview on wednesday and going to be in town tonight?

Hey Ya`ll,

I have been reading up about the two campuses. Can anyone give me the real low down about the differences. It seems that bingo is more community hospital and upstate is more university based. Is there any other major difference not stressed in the website. Thanks Ya`ll!!!!!

Congrats!! when did u interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.