2011-2012 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No initial prompts

After interview invite:

Question #1: Identify four of your major interests and describe how these have shaped your character and will contribute to your success as a physician.

Question #2: An effective physician is a good problem solver. Describe a problem that you faced and the steps that you took to arrive at its solution.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess I'll start this one up then.

Anyone familiar with the Syracuse area who's able to comment on its (hopefully lack of) middle-of-nowhere-ness? Notice my location.

Hi! So I'm a current student at Upstate, and originally from Manhattan. I won't lie to you, compared to NYC and most of LI, this is middle of nowhere. Having said that, there are definitely things to do, and things going on in the city (especially in the summer time).

When I applied, people said constantly, and I hated to hear, "You'll be so busy it won't matter where you are." And I don't think that's true--not for me at least. But anyway, it's not country-bumpkin land by any means, it's a small city and feels that way, but it's not nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

For what it's worth

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuition increase again, just in case they didn't let incoming students know. Huge for OOS students, from 48 to 53. IS is 24.8 to 27.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Sounds ok but honestly I dont remember what they asked for. If you're really stressing, call the admissions office and double check.

Sounds ok but honestly I dont remember what they asked for. If you're really stressing, call the admissions office and double check.

I would ignore that question, cwang literally posted that question on every SSD to which he/she was applying (what ever happened to doing one's own work for oneself?).

Could anyone tell me whether there are many out of state students at upstate? Location-wise it would be one of my top schools (I LOVE upstate NY and the "middle-of-nowhereness" already mentioned in this thread), but I don't hear much about their acceptance of out of state students.

Those are good enough odds for me :) onto the list it goes. Thanks!

Wow, this thread is dead. Any OOS applicants receive a secondary yet? I've been verified for a month without so much as a peep from these guys (not even a "we've received your primary" email). :whistle:

I'm not applying here but I went to undergrad across the street from the Syracuse campus so if anyone has any questions about what it's like living in Syracuse or what the hospitals are like (I volunteered there), let me know!

And yes, it does snow that much there :p. My favorite story is I graduated Dec 17th. The last week I was there, we got 52 inches of snow in 5 days. And that wasn't even the worst storm I saw :p

I'm not applying here but I went to undergrad across the street from the Syracuse campus so if anyone has any questions about what it's like living in Syracuse or what the hospitals are like (I volunteered there), let me know!

And yes, it does snow that much there :p. My favorite story is I graduated Dec 17th. The last week I was there, we got 52 inches of snow in 5 days. And that wasn't even the worst storm I saw :p

oh lawd :scared:

lol but yeah I'm curious about upstate. I'm instate and I've actually heard some negative things about the administration and quality of program at upstate, care to give your list of pros/cons? From what I understand they seem to be rather run of the mill kind of program, which is not a bad thing at all, just an observation. I check other year threads but just curious about your guys opinion in particular

Members don't see this ad :)
oh lawd :scared:

lol but yeah I'm curious about upstate. I'm instate and I've actually heard some negative things about the administration and quality of program at upstate, care to give your list of pros/cons? From what I understand they seem to be rather run of the mill kind of program, which is not a bad thing at all, just an observation. I check other year threads but just curious about your guys opinion in particular

Quality of program I think is outstanding. I go to school here, obviously, so, maybe a bit biased, but the quality of teaching/education/etc has never been one of my complaints, ever. The administration could be better, but it's not terrible. And they've actually made some solid good faith attempts in the past year to get better at responding to student concerns, etc.

Pros - in my opinion, the people. That goes from the TAs in anatomy lab to the physicians in the hospital. People are ridiculously nice, accommodating, and just hands down the best. I've never used the word nice this much to describe people, before coming to school here. There are anatomy professors that will show up at 7am before class to help out students having trouble, surgery attendings that I know of that have just given people open invitations to come watch surgeries, scrub in (!), etc. The people here are outstanding.

Cons - The weather sucks for six months of the year. I mean, it sucks. The administration could be a bit more responsive, but like I said, they seem to be making strides, I guess only time will tell what comes of it. And Syracuse isn't exactly the most happening place in the world. Having said that, it's also not complete boondocks. I'm from NYC, so my standards tend to be high. Depends on what you're used to, I guess.

I've spent my whole life in syracuse and I can say that the 'middle of nowhereness' is not that empty and it has its advantages, for example, the most awesomely delicious farmers market i've ever seen, and easy access to lots of nature. If you prefer the urban environment downtown has some nice areas and marshall street has a lot to do and is always packed with university students during the year.

Snow's not so bad either, there are no bugs and you get to wear cool hats

I've spent my whole life in syracuse and I can say that the 'middle of nowhereness' is not that empty and it has its advantages, for example, the most awesomely delicious farmers market i've ever seen, and easy access to lots of nature. If you prefer the urban environment downtown has some nice areas and marshall street has a lot to do and is always packed with university students during the year.

Snow's not so bad either, there are no bugs and you get to wear cool hats

One of my jobs in college was working at Cosmo's Pizza on Marshall. Delicious pizza, crappy management but meh.

There's definantly stuff to do in Syracuse. Is it as much to do as like NYC? No. But SU has a theatre that's fun to go to, there's a lot of decent restaurants (Funk 'n' Waffles has the best food ever : a brownie waffle with icecream. And good music too. Win win.) There's a decent nightlife if that's your thing (Daisy Dukes, Empire, Chucks etc were the bars I went to a lot in undergrad) and a HUGE mall. (They're expanding the mall to be the second largest in america...)

That aside, I thought Upstate hospital was gorgeous. And it's a level 1 trauma center if EM is your thing. There's several hospitals within a 30 second walk of upstate. ( Crouse, Upstate, the VA).

For me, the reason I'm not applying there is that I'm just sick of living in Syracuse. It's not a horrible city but it snows a lot, it's raining the majority of the time when it's not snowing, and I need a city that has decent employment options for my fiance. But anyone who's thinking of applying here, do it. Go to the interview and see if you like it. That's really the only way you'll be able to know if its the right city for you.

I am a fourth year (finallly) at Upstate and am very happy here. Grew up in central NY, traveled around the East coast after my first go at college, and came back to stay. You can't beat the cost of living here.

Upstate is a rather good school. There are things that we gripe about, but in all likelihood, we would be pissing and moaning about something else at another institution. If I could do it over again, I would still come here. The biggest plus is my classmates. I can only think of one gunner off of the top of my head. Everyone else, and I mean everyone, bends over backwards to help out their fellow classmates, and this has been consistent through all four years.

As said above, the administration has admitted "my bad" and appears to be taking steps to improve how they respond to students. The first two years more than adequately prepared me for Step I. Haven't taken Step 2 yet but am not worried based on how third year went for us.

If you aren't used to snowy weather, you may be in for a shock. Last year was worse than most, but Syracuse almost always wins the award for snowiest major city in NY. One of the radiology attendings asked the question this week: where is Syracuse? I was sitting there thinking, duh, central NY. His answer was where the sun goes to die every winter. :laugh:

Quality of program I think is outstanding. I go to school here, obviously, so, maybe a bit biased, but the quality of teaching/education/etc has never been one of my complaints, ever. The administration could be better, but it's not terrible. And they've actually made some solid good faith attempts in the past year to get better at responding to student concerns, etc.

Pros - in my opinion, the people. That goes from the TAs in anatomy lab to the physicians in the hospital. People are ridiculously nice, accommodating, and just hands down the best. I've never used the word nice this much to describe people, before coming to school here. There are anatomy professors that will show up at 7am before class to help out students having trouble, surgery attendings that I know of that have just given people open invitations to come watch surgeries, scrub in (!), etc. The people here are outstanding.

Cons - The weather sucks for six months of the year. I mean, it sucks. The administration could be a bit more responsive, but like I said, they seem to be making strides, I guess only time will tell what comes of it. And Syracuse isn't exactly the most happening place in the world. Having said that, it's also not complete boondocks. I'm from NYC, so my standards tend to be high. Depends on what you're used to, I guess.

I am a fourth year (finallly) at Upstate and am very happy here. Grew up in central NY, traveled around the East coast after my first go at college, and came back to stay. You can't beat the cost of living here.

Upstate is a rather good school. There are things that we gripe about, but in all likelihood, we would be pissing and moaning about something else at another institution. If I could do it over again, I would still come here. The biggest plus is my classmates. I can only think of one gunner off of the top of my head. Everyone else, and I mean everyone, bends over backwards to help out their fellow classmates, and this has been consistent through all four years.

As said above, the administration has admitted "my bad" and appears to be taking steps to improve how they respond to students. The first two years more than adequately prepared me for Step I. Haven't taken Step 2 yet but am not worried based on how third year went for us.

If you aren't used to snowy weather, you may be in for a shock. Last year was worse than most, but Syracuse almost always wins the award for snowiest major city in NY. One of the radiology attendings asked the question this week: where is Syracuse? I was sitting there thinking, duh, central NY. His answer was where the sun goes to die every winter. :laugh:

Thanks for the response you guys, im glad to hear about the nice community at the school. I think that could be one of the biggest factors in determining 'everyday' happiness as a medstudent, and with those type of relations with others definitely is appealing. Also if your experience is an indicator of their strength of pre/clinical training then I think the place sounds pretty good overall.

Meh, weather sucks but can adjust right. I'm from eastern long island so don't see that much snow (missed this last winter, was in tokyo, was nice to forget what heavy snow was like lol). But Given that Rochester and Buffalo are right in the same area, think same kind of comments could apply to life at all three schools. I actually did not realize they were soo north, hah, long islanders idea of 'upstate' is westchester/poughkeepsie :laugh:

but if i can get into upstate/buffalo then it would be very hard to turn down because financial/practical reasons. btw, did not get a secondary yet if anyone is wondering, which i find slightly odd because i've received about 70% of all my secondaries so far and i applied to a good amount of schools....eh, hope it gets in soon bc i got everything in luckily

other question, did any of you have to choose between SUNY schools, if so what factors played lead you to your decision?

Upstate was the only school I applied to so I can't help you much.

Thanks for the response you guys, im glad to hear about the nice community at the school. I think that could be one of the biggest factors in determining 'everyday' happiness as a medstudent, and with those type of relations with others definitely is appealing. Also if your experience is an indicator of their strength of pre/clinical training then I think the place sounds pretty good overall.

Meh, weather sucks but can adjust right. I'm from eastern long island so don't see that much snow (missed this last winter, was in tokyo, was nice to forget what heavy snow was like lol). But Given that Rochester and Buffalo are right in the same area, think same kind of comments could apply to life at all three schools. I actually did not realize they were soo north, hah, long islanders idea of 'upstate' is westchester/poughkeepsie :laugh:

but if i can get into upstate/buffalo then it would be very hard to turn down because financial/practical reasons. btw, did not get a secondary yet if anyone is wondering, which i find slightly odd because i've received about 70% of all my secondaries so far and i applied to a good amount of schools....eh, hope it gets in soon bc i got everything in luckily

other question, did any of you have to choose between SUNY schools, if so what factors played lead you to your decision?

I applied to but never seriously considered downstate. That was basically just a personal reason. My family lives in the city, and I knew that for economic reasons I'd end up living at home (not ideal), and commuting to Brooklyn (even less ideal). Obviously not much help to anyone else, but that was why Downstate didn't get much play for me.

Stony Brook I ended up getting off the WL at the midnight hour. I don't love Long Island, and frankly didn't really love the school on my visit. No disrespect to Stony Brook, obviously only spent one day there and my experience was limited, but the building felt a bit like a missile silo, a little depressing, and just general interview day vibes kind of swayed me away from it.

But here's a more practical thing I guess in terms of comparing the schools. Upstate is the only medical school in a huge radius. With downstate and NYC/Metro area schools, it sometimes seems like you can't throw a rock without hitting another med student. What impact that may have on your opportunities/daily life or whatever is all conjecture, but for some reason I just sort of was viscerally happy with the fact that in the Syracuse area, we're the only med students around. Again, I'm sure none of this is relevant to your decision making process, but I figured I'd just give you an honest response about my experience, rather than some stock BS.

also just got the 2ndary email invite, but getting a weird error. The only app currently available under the College of Medicine is the Early Assurance program.

huh?

mailing address, personal information, check off what kind of LOR (committee vs 2 individual), filling out course requirements, how you learned about us.

It's straightforward and short.

also a 2 page answer for why you want to apply to the rural scholars program which is optional:
# Why do you consider your self suited to rural medical practice?
# If you have lived in a rural community, please describe it and indicate how long you have lived there.
# Describe your understanding of an issue or challenge facing rural communities now or in the future.
# Describe any mentors or experiences that have influenced your desire to practice rural medicine.
# What are your specialty or other career goals and how will you see these fitting into your interest in rural medicine

Last edited by a moderator:
also just got the 2ndary email invite, but getting a weird error. The only app currently available under the College of Medicine is the Early Assurance program.

huh?

canadian --

please, link me to the eap thing.

thank you.

-- mm

dont click oon the new user...just sign in

user: A00000000 <--aamc # preceeded with an A
pw: 001122 <-- you will be able to select secondary app

i made the same mistake at first.

Seems there are no essays on this except what you plan on doing the next year if you didn't recently graduate. Question is worded kinda strange to me. If you did graduate this past june..why would they not want to know what you were doing over the next year??

I am slightly confused about the essays on this secondary. Do we only answer the rural medicine 2 page max essay if we would like to be a part of the rural scholars program as opposed to the regular MD? I would greatly appreciate some help!

gmcguitar....Reread the question you are misunderstanding. They are asking what you will be doing if you did graduate.

Anyone having trouble with the Signature page right before the 'Pay now' part? I can't type my signature anywhere... there's no box...

Nevermind...... I reread the top part. No signature needed if paying online. =]

I am applying to 25+ schools and I can't believe I am saying this..but.. I wish they had more essays to explain things

I am slightly confused about the essays on this secondary. Do we only answer the rural medicine 2 page max essay if we would like to be a part of the rural scholars program as opposed to the regular MD? I would greatly appreciate some help!

I am leaving it blank..I have zero interest in rural medicine and not interested in that program. If you do not have interest in it don't answer. I am pretty confident it will not affect your app.

Does anyone know if we can submit more than 2 letters of recommendation?

I did... I have a total of 5 going to the school. I listed the two most important ones specifically on the application in case they only read two of them.

I believe regardless of which letters you include on the secondary, the school will get all the letters you designated to be sent as part of your amcas app.

How long do they think our phone numbers are??

Phone Number (xxxxxx)-(xxxxxxxxxxxx) (xxxxxxxxxx extension):
web_required_cascade.png

how do you sign it electronically?? i only know how to sign .pdf's

I just called and you don't have to worry about the signature page if you are paying by credit card

dont click oon the new user...just sign in

user: A00000000 <--aamc # preceeded with an A
pw: 001122 <-- you will be able to select secondary app

i made the same mistake at first.

+1. can't believe I forgot to read the instructions first :p

paid and submitted :luck:

So I just paid but in my application summary, there isnt anything after Supplemental Application Fee or Supplemental Application

Anyone else experience this?

So I just paid but in my application summary, there isnt anything after Supplemental Application Fee or Supplemental Application

Anyone else experience this?

They told me it takes 48 hours for it to be reflected on your app ;).

Does Upstate place everyone who isn't invited for interviews on hold, or do they give straight out rejections?

mailing address, personal information, check off what kind of LOR (committee vs 2 individual), filling out course requirements, how you learned about us.

It's straightforward and short.

also a 2 page answer for why you want to apply to the rural scholars program which is optional:
# Why do you consider your self suited to rural medical practice?
# If you have lived in a rural community, please describe it and indicate how long you have lived there.
# Describe your understanding of an issue or challenge facing rural communities now or in the future.
# Describe any mentors or experiences that have influenced your desire to practice rural medicine.
# What are your specialty or other career goals and how will you see these fitting into your interest in rural medicine

What is the rural scholars program?

What is the rural scholars program?

it's a program for people who want to spend rest of their lives practicing on rural patients. didn't know that there is a farming area in NY :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.