2011-2012 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted today! Interviewed 2/10 and put in acceptance range on 3/1. I'll definitely be there in the fall. Sooooooo happy! :D

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to both of you accepted off the acceptance range!!! Thats definitely awesome that they pulled you before may!!

Accepted today! Interviewed 2/10 and put in acceptance range on 3/1. I'll definitely be there in the fall. Sooooooo happy! :D

rock.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
same here! taken off the acceptance range (interviewed 12/12/11) !! my first acceptance, ahhhh (sigh of relief) :soexcited:

I was rejected from Tulane early (BU, Georgetown love, but NO TULANE WHY U NO LOVE ME TULANE!!!) but have always been fascinated with Tulane and NOLA, more so than most schools I applied to. If you guys go to second look or took pictures interview day, could you guys post pictures for us kids who want to experience Tulane vicariously? Sad, I know, but New Orleans has this mystique and I can't afford to fly there :p Plus the work they've done with the community post-Katrina has been phenomenal, so that just adds to the coolness of the school :laugh:

I was rejected from Tulane early (BU, Georgetown love, but NO TULANE WHY U NO LOVE ME TULANE!!!) but have always been fascinated with Tulane and NOLA, more so than most schools I applied to. If you guys go to second look or took pictures interview day, could you guys post pictures for us kids who want to experience Tulane vicariously? Sad, I know, but New Orleans has this mystique and I can't afford to fly there :p Plus the work they've done with the community post-Katrina has been phenomenal, so that just adds to the coolness of the school :laugh:

You got love from BU? Dayum, they rejected me the second the check for my secondary cleared. This whole process is so arbitrary... but the mystique of New Orleans is for real.

Anyway, as requested, here is a photo from the after-interview party with Washboard Chaz, followed by Jesus calling a touchdown for the Saints. Enjoy!

mbpmT.jpg
V7683.jpg

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

OMG congrats!!! esp when they told ppl that we wouldnt hear anything til after may 15th! now im getting antsy again, just when i was settling into this whole waiting mentality

Accepted today. (off acceptance range, interviewed in November)

boomshakalaka

Accepted yesterday from the acceptance range! Definitely excited. Surprised though, I thought there wouldn't be movement until May 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a few
You got love from BU? Dayum, they rejected me the second the check for my secondary cleared. This whole process is so arbitrary... but the mystique of New Orleans is for real.

Anyway, as requested, here is a photo from the after-interview party with Washboard Chaz, followed by Jesus calling a touchdown for the Saints. Enjoy!

mbpmT.jpg
V7683.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 61

mbpmT.jpg
V7683.jpg

ALL RIGHT!!! Thanks MT, you da man! I'll go down to NOLA one day, even if it kills me...

Because you asked...

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

does anyone know anything about housing for next year?

does anyone know anything about housing for next year?

Craigslist and PadMapper are probably your best bet. There have also been several posts on the FB group about apartments/roommates.

Does anyone have stats for Tulane's 2012 match? How many students were unmatched the first round and how many matched overall?

Could anyone tell me Tulane's stats for the entering class of 2011? average MCAT, GPA? I am applying for fall 2013 and am having such a hard time finding these numbers and do not want to purchase the AAMC MSAR.....thanks!

Could anyone tell me Tulane's stats for the entering class of 2011? average MCAT, GPA? I am applying for fall 2013 and am having such a hard time finding these numbers and do not want to purchase the AAMC MSAR.....thanks!

I don't have my MSAR with me right now, but I can't imagine how you're planning on getting through an application cycle without one. It really is a critical resource, well worth the $25. You can probably get one off a friend for less.

could anyone tell me tulane's stats for the entering class of 2011? Average mcat, gpa? I am applying for fall 2013 and am having such a hard time finding these numbers and do not want to purchase the aamc msar.....thanks!

32, 3.5

I apologize for the delayed post ... I was accepted on March 15! Interviewed in November.

Most definitely living in NO!

32/3.5

So with these Tulane-based scholarships, do we have to do anything special on the Tulane Financial Aid Addendum? I'm thinking specifically of line 15 where it asks if you are applying for financial support. Well duh, why do you think I'm filling this form out in the first place??!?

Since I would be happy with either a need-based or merit-based scholarship from Tulane (hell I'd even be happy with a loan at less than 6.8%), I checked the line below it that says "Institutional Scholarships or Grants". But then the form asks specifically for the type and amount. What are you guys putting in there? I mean for "type" I'm thinking "free money", and for "amount" I'm thinking "Tulane COA plus a healthy stipend for beer and crawfish" but somehow I'm thinking that is not really the answer they are looking for.

What are we supposed to answer for line 15?
If I leave it blank or otherwise answer it incorrectly do I forfeit any and all assistance from Tulane this year?

I think you just check line 15 if your applying for any assistance, and then the lines below it are for if you've already been awarded any institutional scholarships, outside scholarships, military money, what have you.

I think you just check line 15 if your applying for any assistance, and then the lines below it are for if you've already been awarded any institutional scholarships, outside scholarships, military money, what have you.

Ohhh, so the rest of the boxes were only if you selected the second box on the first line of line 15. Got it. Thanks!

P.S. have you decided to join us yet? you know you want to :D

Ohhh, so the rest of the boxes were only if you selected the second box on the first line of line 15. Got it. Thanks!

P.S. have you decided to join us yet? you know you want to :D

I'm in the facebook group, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending so much money on a school that doesn't seem to prepare its students that well. It has a good reputation, but other than that, and having a different student body, I don't see it being much better than LSU.

Besides, it's not my first choice. I just don't feel like I'd be as happy here as at my first choice school.

Have people received their aid offers? I've yet to receive anything and until I do I don't think I can really decide where to attend. I loved New Orleans and the mantra of Tulane, but another school gave me an offer I think I really can't refuse unless Tulane makes a similar one. I really hope we find out about aid soon.

Have people received their aid offers? I've yet to receive anything and until I do I don't think I can really decide where to attend. I loved New Orleans and the mantra of Tulane, but another school gave me an offer I think I really can't refuse unless Tulane makes a similar one. I really hope we find out about aid soon.

Likewise. I have to either drop my other acceptance or Tulane by April 15th. Doubt any financial aid is gonna come before then.

Yeah I've been crossing my fingers every day hoping to hear something about financial aid but still nothing other than the gibson online information I got at the beginning of March. I have been checking that too every day but it still says that my financial aid addendum is pending review.

Missorleans said:
I'm in the facebook group, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending so much money on a school that doesn't seem to prepare its students that well. It has a good reputation, but other than that, and having a different student body, I don't see it being much better than LSU.

Geez, it's only money ;). But seriously I don't blame you for having a hard time picking a school that is that much more money.

As far as how well Tulane students are prepared, I'm kinda surprised by that statement as I've heard nothing but the opposite. I've been told numerous times that LSU beats their students into shape the first two years while Tulane is a bit easier but both go on to perform just as well on the USMLE. Also clinical training is almost identical amongst the two schools (well LSU - New Orleans and Tulane) so I wouldn't think that there would be a big difference there.

Maybe my sources are biased though...I dunno.

As far as how well Tulane students are prepared, I'm kinda surprised by that statement as I've heard nothing but the opposite. I've been told numerous times that LSU beats their students into shape the first two years while Tulane is a bit easier but both go on to perform just as well on the USMLE. Also clinical training is almost identical amongst the two schools (well LSU - New Orleans and Tulane) so I wouldn't think that there would be a big difference there.

I heard a similar description of LSU-NO and Tulane's pre-clinical years. I have a friend that is finishing up his 3rd year at LSU-NO. He feels that LSU did not prepare them well for Step 1. And I should clarify...by that he meant that most of the courses weren't taught with the USMLE in mind. Granted, learning a lot more about Micro and Immunology--the courses he specifically mentioned--than he needed was not at all a bad thing. But, the impression I got from him was that LSU leaves you hanging as far as organizing and assimilating the subject matter for boards.

That was only one opinion...I think both are great schools, people study differently, and that we will all find a school that suits our needs well.

They perform equally well on the boards. Seems like for that much money tulane students should perform better. My sources agree that LSU NO students are much better prepared for clinical rotations. In any case, I withdrew from LSUNO, so I'm not worried about them. If I go to an LSU it will be Shreve.

I'm on the fence about MD/MPH. Thoughts from current students?

I'm casually interested in public health. More interested in it academically rather than practically I guess you would say. Do MPH classes create to heavy a burden in regards to keeping up with the MD courseload? Does a masters add much to residency apps regardless of specialty? Is it worth the extra cash (and are there more scholarships specifically for MD/MPH)?

Also, does one have to start this June/July?

Thanks homies.

I'm on the fence about MD/MPH. Thoughts from current students?

I'm casually interested in public health. More interested in it academically rather than practically I guess you would say. Do MPH classes create to heavy a burden in regards to keeping up with the MD courseload? Does a masters add much to residency apps regardless of specialty? Is it worth the extra cash (and are there more scholarships specifically for MD/MPH)?

Also, does one have to start this June/July?

Thanks homies.

Check out the Class of 2016 FB group. There has been some really good input from current students about the MPH program.

That is the correct match list. To answer the other question, the Dean said 4 people did not match in the first round, but everyone matched in the end.

There were 9 unmatched students from Tulane's class of 2012.

Does anyone know when we will be hearing back about the MPH program?

Status
Not open for further replies.