2011-2012 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those of you who were in Tulane's ACP program, or are currently in the program... have you heard of a second interview asked by the admissions committee because of a not-so-hot performance on the first?

Just wondering if anyone has heard of an ACP student being denied admissions simply by interview even though he/she did well in the classes?

Thanks for reading!

Got the acceptance packet today, with a nice scholarship package to boot! Interviewed 2/3. :D

Congrats!! I interviewed 2/6 so I hope I hear soon too!

Out of curiosity what date were you accepted?? Just kinda wondering to see if we were reviewed at the same meeting and if I can expect my decision to be in the mail.

Also quite weird that applicants last month were hearing decisions via email but those recently are finding out through snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were in Tulane's ACP program, or are currently in the program... have you heard of a second interview asked by the admissions committee because of a not-so-hot performance on the first?

Just wondering if anyone has heard of an ACP student being denied admissions simply by interview even though he/she did well in the classes?

Thanks for reading!

I am in the ACP program currently. Of our class of 16, I think 5 of us had interviewed at Tulane the year before. All 5 of us automatically by-passed the interview stage and were accepted. Tulane DOES reserve the right to re-review people if they need to, but i've yet to hear of it happening

Congrats!! I interviewed 2/6 so I hope I hear soon too!

Out of curiosity what date were you accepted?? Just kinda wondering to see if we were reviewed at the same meeting and if I can expect my decision to be in the mail.

Also quite weird that applicants last month were hearing decisions via email but those recently are finding out through snail mail.

Thanks! I was accepted by email 2/10 but I hadn't been checking it over the weekend so the packet I received on the 13th was the first I had heard. The academic scholarship info and acceptance letter were the only things in the packet.

Thanks! I was accepted by email 2/10 but I hadn't been checking it over the weekend so the packet I received on the 13th was the first I had heard. The academic scholarship info and acceptance letter were the only things in the packet.
i hate to be annoyingly paranoid, but tulane is my first choice! ahh!--> what date did they tell u they'd get back with u? i interviewd on 2/10 and my last interviewer said they'll prolly notify me by 2/29! i think i might have 0.7 strands of hair left on my head by then

i hate to be annoyingly paranoid, but tulane is my first choice! ahh!--> what date did they tell u they'd get back with u? i interviewd on 2/10 and my last interviewer said they'll prolly notify me by 2/29! i think i might have 0.7 strands of hair left on my head by then

I don't remember them giving us a timeline but they seem to be acting pretty quickly. Just relax... Tulane seems to be extremely careful who they interview and they interview such a small portion of their applicants that a relatively high percentage of interviewees get acceptances.

If you cant take the silence I have heard that a LOI can be helpful.

Yeah I highly doubt it will take even that long to hear a decision. They told me the same thing on my interview day (2/6) but after talking to the dean and seeing posts on here it's become quite clear that the decision will most likely come much sooner. And I hear you about really really wanting this acceptance but no need to worry too much. Even a waitlist means you have around an 80% chance of being accepted eventually post interview.

Good luck!! :luck:

what info is in this packet? I haven't gotten any scholarship/general info since being accepted 2 wks ago. is it relevant/pressing?

what info is in this packet? I haven't gotten any scholarship/general info since being accepted 2 wks ago. is it relevant/pressing?

I haven't gotten any more information since being accepted in October, so I think app1 is just referring to the acceptance letter + scholarship letter. Mine definitely didn't include any scholarship offers. :rolleyes:

Sorry, packet was a misleading term.I would call it a large envelope. All that was in it were the two letters.

I haven't gotten any more information since being accepted in October, so I think app1 is just referring to the acceptance letter + scholarship letter. Mine definitely didn't include any scholarship offers. :rolleyes:

same here. Where's the love, Tulane?

Members don't see this ad :)
+1. Anyone else really want to go to Tulane, but having some serious qualms about the money?

I don't like the idea of having so much to pay back later, but I'm not going to settle for a cheaper school if it's not where I really want to be. What's really aggrivating is that like, when it comes to Tulane my parents are like, wherever you want to go, we'll help you pay for it, just go where you want to go. But then when I told them I sent a letter of intent to vandy, they're like "so you're ok with taking that much student loans?" They clearly have a favorite...
It doesn't really bother me. If I get super desperate later on I'll go work in a rural area that offers loan repayment or something like that. I'll be doing what I want to do, and I have no problem living modestly until my loans are paid off. The more I can pay back early the less I'll be paying overall by accruing less interest.
Maybe my conception of financial management is totally off, but in any case, I'm gonna go where I want and not let cost dissuade me.

+1. Anyone else really want to go to Tulane, but having some serious qualms about the money?

Yeah definitely. I've got some other acceptances and one in particular that's like a third of the cost...but I don't want to go there. That being said, I'm leaning towards MissOrleans' attitude--I'm gonna go where I want to go, screw the money.
By all accounts, at the end of the day student loans never become an unmanageable burden. The payment plans are reasonable, etc. Just another excuse to throw a party when you finally pay them off at ~45.

Yeah I highly doubt it will take even that long to hear a decision. They told me the same thing on my interview day (2/6) but after talking to the dean and seeing posts on here it's become quite clear that the decision will most likely come much sooner. And I hear you about really really wanting this acceptance but no need to worry too much. Even a waitlist means you have around an 80% chance of being accepted eventually post interview.

Good luck!! :luck:
Thanks. yea i need to calm down lol. and for ppl worried about money- unless ur going to a state school, its a lot period. 4 yrs is a long time to go somewhere and study where the best part about the fit was the money.

I don't like the idea of having so much to pay back later, but I'm not going to settle for a cheaper school if it's not where I really want to be. What's really aggrivating is that like, when it comes to Tulane my parents are like, wherever you want to go, we'll help you pay for it, just go where you want to go. But then when I told them I sent a letter of intent to vandy, they're like "so you're ok with taking that much student loans?" They clearly have a favorite...
It doesn't really bother me. If I get super desperate later on I'll go work in a rural area that offers loan repayment or something like that. I'll be doing what I want to do, and I have no problem living modestly until my loans are paid off. The more I can pay back early the less I'll be paying overall by accruing less interest.
Maybe my conception of financial management is totally off, but in any case, I'm gonna go where I want and not let cost dissuade me.

This is exactly how I feel right now.. glad I'm not alone!

Just received word 10 minutes ago that I've been accepted!!!!!!!! Thank you TULANE!

Last edited:

I agree that our decision should be based mostly on where we would be happy and want to go, but when I have an option that's nearly half the price it is hard to overlook. Especially when I feel like both options are relatively equal as far as the schools' reputations. However, I would rather be in New Orleans than any of the other cities I have to option to go to. My parents are supportive of me either way and will be able to help some financially, but at the same time my sister may be in the same position in a few years and I don't want to spread them too thin. Of course I can do like many and take on the debt. One of my other schools is ranked relatively high in research and primary care, but I feel that opportunities at Tulane would be just as numerous, although different. Lots of community service and cases that may be rare at other places. Idk, I'm really not much closer to a decision than I was in October

HOLY SH**!!!!!! Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

Just found out via E-mail!!!!!!

My first one and the one school I've been praying and praying to get into! I'm not sure I have ever been happier!!

Oh yeah and I interviewed 2/6

Theres is a very good chance I will be here come next fall!!

My first one and the one school I've been praying and praying to get into! I'm not sure I have ever been happier!!

Congrats!!! :)

congrattttsss!!!:D now im really gonna start stalking my email.

Congrats! I cannot wait to hear a decision.... interviewed 2/10.

Tulane would definitely be my #1.

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

congrattttsss!!!:D now im really gonna start stalking my email.

Thanks!! I don't blame you. I was neurotically checking my email after Dr. Beckman told me I could expect to hear sometime this week! I mean like every 10 minutes I would check for new email. Anyways I hope you hear soon!!

Good Luck!

Anyone have any new info about us A-rangers? Interviewed back in November. I know most movement won't occur until the end of this month, but does anybody know if they are still interviewing? I had heard that they stopped mid-February last year. The 80% eventual acceptance is encouraging, but I don't know if my hairline will last much longer! Congrats on all previous acceptances!

Dr. Beckman needs an SDN account. Something...stimulating...please.

I am :( I really want to do the MD/MPH program there, but I don't want to regret not taking the cheaper option when I'm drowning in student loans after school ends.... I still can't make a decision...

Another question for you SDNers, do you think the school's ranking makes a huge difference when applying to residency programs, especially the more competitive fields like derm?

I am :( I really want to do the MD/MPH program there, but I don't want to regret not taking the cheaper option when I'm drowning in student loans after school ends.... I still can't make a decision...

Another question for you SDNers, do you think the school's ranking makes a huge difference when applying to residency programs, especially the more competitive fields like derm?

It's up for debate, but my opinion is no. While it carries some weight it would definitely be more beneficial to choose a school where you would be happy and therefore more likely to perform better on the step 1.

Do a search though (in allopathic medical school forums) and you will see the two sides of the argument

I was accepted but haven't received any additional information. Does anyone know what day classes start? Last year it was August 1st right?

I was accepted but haven't received any additional information. Does anyone know what day classes start? Last year it was August 1st right?

I was wondering the same thing. On the accepted students FB group, someone said: " I called and they said Friday August 4th is orientation, sat. The 5th is parents orientation and Sunday is white coat ceremony. Monday class starts"

But.... Looking at a calendar.. August 4th is a Saturday this year, not Friday :) So I assume that person has the weekend right (first weekend of August), just a little off on the dates.

Here is the link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/180305145406789/

I was wondering the same thing. On the accepted students FB group, someone said: " I called and they said Friday August 4th is orientation, sat. The 5th is parents orientation and Sunday is white coat ceremony. Monday class starts"

But.... Looking at a calendar.. August 4th is a Saturday this year, not Friday :) So I assume that person has the weekend right (first weekend of August), just a little off on the dates.

Here is the link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/180305145406789/

Your right I shifted dates by a day, Orientation is fiday Aug 3rd, parent orientation Aug 4th, white coat aug 5th
First day of classes monday Aug 6th.

Sorry for the confusion...

Your right I shifted dates by a day, Orientation is fiday Aug 3rd, parent orientation Aug 4th, white coat aug 5th
First day of classes monday Aug 6th.

Sorry for the confusion...
So are there any activities to be there for prior to August 3rd?

So are there any activities to be there for prior to August 3rd?

I have no idea, if there are they are not mandatory like the orientation is.... I only asked about the first day we need to be there....

I am hoping that they release the actual 2012 academic calendar somewhat soon….

If you find out anything else or different from this please let us know!

Has anyone received any sort of confirmation after responding to their offer of acceptance? I got an automatically generated response from submitting the deposit, but aside from that all I've received is the initial letter of acceptance.

Last edited:
Someone from the admissions office also mentioned that we will probably get more info after Match (since they are pretty preoccupied with that right now). I think match day this year is March 16 or 17, so we will probably get more info toward the end of March.

Someone from the admissions office also mentioned that we will probably get more info after Match (since they are pretty preoccupied with that right now). I think match day this year is March 16 or 17, so we will probably get more info toward the end of March.

Good to know, thanks!

Has anyone received any sort of confirmation after responding to their offer of acceptance? I got an automatically generated response from submitting the deposit, but aside from that all I've received is the initial letter of acceptance.

I got an email saying, "thank u for replying, we look forward to having you," standard sort of thing. Ab 2 wks later I'd say

Withdrew and cancelled my interview for the 27th, call admissions this morning if you want to try to grab my slot.

This is sort of a random question... But I was told that listing your parent's financial information (gross income, etc.) on your FAFSA may decrease the amount of federal financial aid that you might receive versus only listing your financial information--as a single/independent filer...Since with your parent's income it may appear that you have more financial support than what is actually available to you.

My parents won't be funding any part of my education and haven't provided me with financial support for more than two years now, so should I list their info? Can it hurt or help me??

This is sort of a random question... But I was told that listing your parent's financial information (gross income, etc.) on your FAFSA may decrease the amount of federal financial aid that you might receive versus only listing your financial information--as a single/independent filer...Since with your parent's income it may appear that you have more financial support than what is actually available to you.

My parents won't be funding any part of my education and haven't provided me with financial support for more than two years now, so should I list their info? Can it hurt or help me??

It will almost certainly hurt you, but most schools require it. Even for married folk. Doesn't matter if your parents will actually be supporting you.

Did anyone else get a shared google document called "TMAA Mentor List 10 06 11" from Tusom.alumni with no explanation?

I haven't heard of a school that doesn't require it. As they say, if everyone could omit their parents' info then all would show the same need.

I haven't heard of a school that doesn't require it. As they say, if everyone could omit their parents' info then all would show the same need.

Mayo Medical School and the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine don't require it. Everyone else does

Status
Not open for further replies.