2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they start real early. I'm going on the 16th so gotta start getting ready. Way earlier than I expected any interviews for sure.

Can somebody let me know what the available dates are? I'm going to see if I can piggy back on *one* of my trips to the east coast to save some time and money, but I don't know if I'll be able to submit around

Is there anything on the 7th,8th,or 9th of September? Thank you guys! I hope to meet some of you there.

Members don't see this ad.

Can somebody let me know what the available dates are? I'm going to see if I can piggy back on *one* of my trips to the east coast to save some time and money, but I don't know if I'll be able to submit around

Is there anything on the 7th,8th,or 9th of September? Thank you guys! I hope to meet some of you there.

When I checked there were still tons of dates open in september. I believe they interview every monday, tuesday, thursday and friday. Based on that, the 8th and 9th are probably good bets to be open if you submit soon enough.

When I checked there were still tons of dates open in september. I believe they interview every monday, tuesday, thursday and friday. Based on that, the 8th and 9th are probably good bets to be open if you submit soon enough.

were there a lot of Aug dates still open?

Members don't see this ad :)
were there a lot of Aug dates still open?

A decent amount. The 16th was the first one available, and then after that there were some in the 20's, but I don't remember exactly. I just know that they only let you schedule an interview at least 14 days after you submit your secondary, so you'll need to get it in in the next couple weeks if you want to do it then.

Great, thank you for the help! I don't want to rush my secondary, but I gotta get it in soon! I'm going to see if I can make a single trip with my UVa interview.

Good luck!

do any current students or people who are familiar with nashville know if it would be ok to take a 5:15 flight out on interview day? they say the day ends "around" 3, but i'm not sure whether this leaves enough time for travel to the airport (or how approximate the 3pm end time is!)

do any current students or people who are familiar with nashville know if it would be ok to take a 5:15 flight out on interview day? they say the day ends "around" 3, but i'm not sure whether this leaves enough time for travel to the airport (or how approximate the 3pm end time is!)

Good question. I'm wondering this too.

Campus is ~15 mins from the airport and the security line is never more than 10 minutes long.

Campus is ~15 mins from the airport and the security line is never more than 10 minutes long.

^ This. I rarely get to the airport more than 45 minutes before my flight out of Nashville since you get through the airport so quickly. Usually takes 30 minutes or less to get to your gate. Taxi from campus costs you $20-25.

What's the weather like in early/mid September? I'm east coast / south illiterate.

Any hotel suggestions in Nashville or things to do? Going to interview in the middle of August.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask about how many words everybody's autobiographical essay ended up being?

At first I thought I would never approach the 1200 word limit, but now I'm fairly close and I'm afraid it might be too long and drawn out :laugh:

May I ask about how many words everybody's autobiographical essay ended up being?

At first I thought I would never approach the 1200 word limit, but now I'm fairly close and I'm afraid it might be too long and drawn out :laugh:

I came very close to the limit. Tried to include anything and everything I could about myself.

what are peoples thoughts on not waiving the right to read interview notes. I would like to see what they thought about me personally.....

Around 900 with a few typos :smack:

I came very close to the limit. Tried to include anything and everything I could about myself.

I did the same (mine was 1200 words exactly). I initially thought it would be hard to fill all that space, but it gets much easier when you start writing!

Okay, great. Thanks for the input!

I completely agree...I could certainly pare this down to include only the most important parts of the narrative, but with a word limit that high I feel encouraged to tell the whole story.

What's the weather like in early/mid September? I'm east coast / south illiterate.

Hot. The weather gets quite nice sometime in October (and campus is beautiful when the leaves change that same month). Expect it to still be fairly hot though.

Any hotel suggestions in Nashville or things to do? Going to interview in the middle of August.

Consume beer with me at the pub ;). The village south of campus is quite nice and has good cafes/restaurants, and there are plenty of bars downtown if that's your thing. As far as tourist attractions though I cannot really comment.

There are plenty of hotels within 2 miles of campus. The undergrad side of campus is adjacent to West End which has a number of hotels. I'd recommend staying in one off of West End since it will be very easy to get to campus from there.

To the MSTP applicants out there, does anyone know if the prompts are any different for us? I'm applying later this month due to a late MCAT as a non-trad. I'd love to get a head start...

Thanks and good luck to all.

To the MSTP applicants out there, does anyone know if the prompts are any different for us? I'm applying later this month due to a late MCAT as a non-trad. I'd love to get a head start...

Thanks and good luck to all.

Write a brief autobiography. As completely and precisely as possible, give a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important in you. In doing so, identify the values that are of greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please comment on what you have done or have been doing since graduation. You may either upload a file from your computer or type your statement in the space provided. (1200 word limit)
The learning environment of the medical school is enhanced by the inclusion of students with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences prior to medical school. How have your background and unique experiences shaped your perspectives allowing you to contribute to this learning environment? (500 word limit)
Please discuss a challenging situation that you faced in the past. Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? (500 word limit)

Interviewing on Sept. 2nd. Hope to see some of you there!

Consume beer with me at the pub ;). The village south of campus is quite nice and has good cafes/restaurants, and there are plenty of bars downtown if that's your thing. As far as tourist attractions though I cannot really comment.

There are plenty of hotels within 2 miles of campus. The undergrad side of campus is adjacent to West End which has a number of hotels. I'd recommend staying in one off of West End since it will be very easy to get to campus from there.

Thanks!

If I've already talked about 2 important events that relate to my path to medicine in a lot of detail in my personal statement, should I avoid talking about them in my autobiography? On the one hand, they are obviously important events in my life. On the other hand, I don't want to repeat my personal statement. Any suggestions?

I had that problem too. In the interest of chronological "place keeping", I did mention these important events, summed up their significance in a sentence or two, and then moved on to stuff I hadn't covered elsewhere.

If I've already talked about 2 important events that relate to my path to medicine in a lot of detail in my personal statement, should I avoid talking about them in my autobiography? On the one hand, they are obviously important events in my life. On the other hand, I don't want to repeat my personal statement. Any suggestions?

I asked an admissions member last semester during a meet and greet. He said to make sure that there is minimal overlap. You could include those events I suppose, but they really are looking for a sense of where you come from more than events precipitating interest in medicine.

Just got a secondary/interview invitation in the mail (no email in advance). So for everyone who hasn't gotten an email, keep your chin up - apparently the secondary invitation can come about in many ways.

Just got a secondary/interview invitation in the mail (no email in advance). So for everyone who hasn't gotten an email, keep your chin up - apparently the secondary invitation can come about in many ways.

Excellent! Congrats!

I have my mail delivered to my mom's house, because I keep moving and don't want to keep changing addresses. She'll be receiving a crazed phone call later today regarding my mail.

Do you live close to the Nashville/TN area?

I'm OOS - I'm from the upper midwest, but I go to school on the west coast.

Thanks! I was just wondering if they were all sent at one time via USPS - and therefore, people close to Vandy would be hearing first, etc.

Thanks! I was just wondering if they were all sent at one time via USPS - and therefore, people close to Vandy would be hearing first, etc.

Ah, I see. I'm at home in the midwest right now, and I get my mail here, so it's definitely possible that I might get it before others who live farther away.

IIRC, they said the first round of invites were going through email, and I think all the rest will be through regular mail.

Received interview invite in mail! My girlfriend checked the mail and called saying, "LeoGer, I have some terrible news for you...." My heart sunk and then I got all tingly when the good news came!

Received interview invite in mail! My girlfriend checked the mail and called saying, "LeoGer, I have some terrible news for you...." My heart sunk and then I got all tingly when the good news came!

I know its normal to replace your real name with your sdn name, but for a second there I actually imagined your girlfriend calling you "LeoGer" and I :laugh:

I know its normal to replace your real name with your sdn name, but for a second there I actually imagined your girlfriend calling you "LeoGer" and I :laugh:

That would be great. I'm about 90% sure she's never heard the terms 'student doctor network', 'SDN', or 'Leoger'. It's my escape to sanity.

Congrats!!!

I just checked your MdApps and I know that with your stats, interview invites are going to be filling your inbox in no time!

Congrats!!!

I just checked your MdApps and I know that with your stats, interview invites are going to be filling your inbox in no time!

Thanks, I sure hope so.

Is your school in the SEC? Is it too much to ask what sport gave you the scholarship?

Thanks, I sure hope so.

Is your school in the SEC? Is it too much to ask what sport gave you the scholarship?

Its not in the SEC but I will PM you the answer in a few minutes

I'm not applying to this school but I wanted to say good luck to all you guys, this secondary looks like a beast.

OOS here (Oregon). Just got the invite in the mail! PM me with any questions :)

Just submitted, interviewing on Aug. 29th. Anyone else on the same date?

Congrats to you! I know how much you wanted it. The rest will start coming in, but Vandy is an awesome one to start with!

Congrats to you! I know how much you wanted it. The rest will start coming in, but Vandy is an awesome one to start with!

Thanks snuke. Trade for your Mayo invite?

Status
Not open for further replies.