-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread
Started by Therapist4Chnge
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Rejection from Napa State Hospital. This one stings. 🙁
Still waiting to hear from:
Sharp Healthcare
Pacific Islands VA
St. Elizabeths
Sierra Nevada VA
St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital
Positive thoughts please, my top two are still there!
A therapist was nearly beaten to death at Napa State last week. A psych tech was murdered there last year. 400 percent increase in violence there since 2007. I am not sure that facility is in a good place right now...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just booked all my flights!!
😱😱😱
😱😱😱
Just booked all my flights!!
😱😱😱
Yay!! Congrats on getting travel details down. I'm still waiting on 2 sites and I sooooo want to start booking!
Yes! Last night I dreamed I got snail mail letters from Brown and MassGen, both saying they would like to offer me interviews and take back their prior rejections! Except in the dream I was Britney Spears and I lived on Pandora (the Avatar planet).
Good luck this week everyone!
😀
Good Luck to you too!
A therapist was nearly beaten to death at Napa State last week. A psych tech was murdered there last year. 400 percent increase in violence there since 2007. I am not sure that facility is in a good place right now...
Wow. Good to know! Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Lol
Those of you with places left to hear from: Are they all Dec. 15th notification dates or do some have later notification dates?
I was just listening to my friend talk about the internship process this year, and it made me think about this site. I didn't come here much, but I knew it'd be a hub of activity right now. I applied and matched at my #1 choice last year, so I just wanted to say good luck to everyone.
Just received a personalized (Dear [my name]) email from University of Northern Colorado Counseling Center inviting me for a phone interview. Interviews will take place over the week of Jan 3-Jan 7. An interesting note, I didn't have to read too far to know it was good (some emails are cryptic for a paragraph or two), as this one started "Congratulations!"
Received an email invite to U of Washington Child Track today!
Sounds like you got an invite. Congrats!!
I also heard via email re adult tracks and big fat rejection from u washington. I kind of expected it. At this point I don't really care! Just wants to know and plan my Jan! Two more sites to hear from.... bronx va and pacific islands va. Come'n hawaii! We are a match made in heaven...
Sounds like you got an invite. Congrats!!
I also heard via email re adult tracks and big fat rejection from u washington. I kind of expected it. At this point I don't really care! Just wants to know and plan my Jan! Two more sites to hear from.... bronx va and pacific islands va. Come'n hawaii! We are a match made in heaven...
Good luck! I should I have thought to apply to sites in Hawaii...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I got 5 interviews and one rejection today alone! Felt good cause it seemed to take a while and I was getting worried.
Interviews that went out today:
LSU Consortium by phone
Princeton House Behavioral Health by e-mail
U Colorado Boulder - Wardenburg by e-mail
Community Reach Cetner (Colorado) - by e-mail
Colorado State University - by phone
Rejection today:
Denver Health
Still waiting on:
Denver VA
Metro State of Denver
Fort Logan
Alexian Brothers Hospital
I got 5 interviews and one rejection today alone! Felt good cause it seemed to take a while and I was getting worried.
Interviews that went out today:
LSU Consortium by phone
Princeton House Behavioral Health by e-mail
U Colorado Boulder - Wardenburg by e-mail
Community Reach Cetner (Colorado) - by e-mail
Colorado State University - by phone
Rejection today:
Denver Health
Still waiting on:
Denver VA
Metro State of Denver
Fort Logan
Alexian Brothers Hospital
There's only one apa approved site in hawaii (maybe two, I think the others a cc though). I got interviews @ some nice places (new mexico, protland, sf) but twelve months in hawaii would be so sweet!!!!!Good luck! I should I have thought to apply to sites in Hawaii...
Rejection from UCSB CC, sent via email.
Rejection from University of Southern California. Super boo, as I was really excited about that program.
I got rejected by Carswell, Northampton, and US medical center for federal prisoners today. I only have 3 interviews so far. Still waiting to hear from OU health sciences center, pacific islands VA, central Texas VA, FCC Butner, and FMC Devens. I am really starting to worry about the fact that I only have 3 interviews. I hope I get more tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
3
363492
I got rejected by Carswell, Northampton, and US medical center for federal prisoners today. I only have 3 interviews so far. Still waiting to hear from OU health sciences center, pacific islands VA, central Texas VA, FCC Butner, and FMC Devens. I am really starting to worry about the fact that I only have 3 interviews. I hope I get more tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
Keep your chin up, PsychS, you only need ONE to love you. I got the same rejects today, and am also waiting on Central Texas and Devens. I only have 3 interviews too, and I agree, it is unsettling, but we're going to get through this!😍
Rejection from UCSB CC, sent via email.
Me too! I'm feeling for you Broccoli Rob. Dashed are my dreams of the beach and beautiful people and heavenly Mexican food, and... uh, I mean, dashed are my dreams of a really great training program 😉
Phone call made for in-person interview at Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Med!
Wow, they must be busy as they just announced their 2 yr nuero track yesterday (?). Good site.
wow, it's been an eventful few days!
Have gotten interview invites from New Orleans VA, Tulane HSC, and WVU School of Medicine for the adult behavioral health tracks. Rejection from Vanderbilt VA.
Still have a few to hear from tomorrow and then one with a deadline on dec 20th.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂
Have gotten interview invites from New Orleans VA, Tulane HSC, and WVU School of Medicine for the adult behavioral health tracks. Rejection from Vanderbilt VA.
Still have a few to hear from tomorrow and then one with a deadline on dec 20th.
Good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂
3
363492
subject: Sorry to inform you
title of attachment: applicant rejection
Nothing in the actual body of the e-mail. lol That was pretty clear!
I interviewed there last year and wasn't impressed (and the interns had really negative things to say) but since I interviewed last yr I applied again this year as a "safety." Guess they weren't that safe! lol
Hey Isitover - did that partial email look like en masse? I'm still waiting to hear from them....kinda bummed by your take from last year. The brochure makes it sound like a great experience. Just goes to show; you can never tell, I guess.😳
I'm also still waiting to hear from American Lake. Also, has anyone yet heard (or know someone who has heard) from Baylor's Neuropsych Track? I know people have heard from some of the other tracks, but I haven't read anything about the neuropsych track yet.
Are we going to hear back from American Lake? I was under the impression that because they did not offer interviews, we would only be notified if we made "finalist" status; otherwise, they are not required to let us know 😕
Thanks for all the cold remedy suggestions everyone! So far today, I've had one dose of Zicam, one dose of DayQuil, 3 throat drops, and loads of fluids/tea....Pretty sure this is me right now --->
Gonna have some NyQuil and tea tonight to help me sleep (I never sleep well when I have a cold) but I'm feeling relatively well - if I feel like this on Thursday (first interview), I'll be happy 🙂
Actually...I'm kind of hoping it is *just* a cold. I found out I was unknowingly exposed to aseptic viral meningitis at a training at work a little over a week ago 🙁 On a positive note, it feels like a cold (albeit a big one) and *IF* it is meningitis...at least it's not bacterial meningitis! 😳
Aside from frequent sniffles, it has been nothing but crickets over here today - still waiting on one last site! Come on Family Service and Guidance Center (Topeka, KS)! I'm ready and waiting for you! And I will try very hard not to sneeze on you! 😛
Good luck tomorrow everyone! It's gonna be a big day!


Gonna have some NyQuil and tea tonight to help me sleep (I never sleep well when I have a cold) but I'm feeling relatively well - if I feel like this on Thursday (first interview), I'll be happy 🙂Actually...I'm kind of hoping it is *just* a cold. I found out I was unknowingly exposed to aseptic viral meningitis at a training at work a little over a week ago 🙁 On a positive note, it feels like a cold (albeit a big one) and *IF* it is meningitis...at least it's not bacterial meningitis! 😳
Aside from frequent sniffles, it has been nothing but crickets over here today - still waiting on one last site! Come on Family Service and Guidance Center (Topeka, KS)! I'm ready and waiting for you! And I will try very hard not to sneeze on you! 😛
Good luck tomorrow everyone! It's gonna be a big day!



3
363492
wow, it's been an eventful few days!
Have gotten interview invites from New Orleans VA, Tulane HSC, and WVU School of Medicine for the adult behavioral health tracks. Rejection from Vanderbilt VA.
WVU, Charleston or Morgantown?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow, it's been an eventful few days!
Have gotten interview invites from New Orleans VA, Tulane HSC, and WVU School of Medicine for the adult behavioral health tracks. Rejection from Vanderbilt VA.
WVU, Charleston or Morgantown?
Oops, forgot to add that -- it's the one in Charleston
🙁
me too... 🙁 I really didn't like the letter they wrote...i hate letter attachments, its soo....yucky 😏
I have a question, do we rank sites even if we didn't get an interview (i.e. do they rank us at all?) I am guessing not but just wondering cuz
I only have three interviews 🙁 🙁 🙁 and the rest are basically rejections lol
Rejection from University of Southern California. Super boo, as I was really excited about that program.
me too... 🙁 I really didn't like the letter they wrote...i hate letter attachments, its soo....yucky 😏
I have a question, do we rank sites even if we didn't get an interview (i.e. do they rank us at all?) I am guessing not but just wondering cuz
I only have three interviews 🙁 🙁 🙁 and the rest are basically rejections lolAre we going to hear back from American Lake? I was under the impression that because they did not offer interviews, we would only be notified if we made "finalist" status; otherwise, they are not required to let us know 😕
I'm confused now too. I know they do not conduct interviews and only hold an open house, but I thought for sure they would notify applicants about whether or not they were invited to the open house. After looking over their application materials, I'm really uncertain as to what their process is. If I'm still in the running, I'd want to visit, even for an optional open house, as I can't imagine ranking a site I'd never seen.
Anyone else have a better idea about their process?
Is there any one out there that this is in their 2nd, 3rd even prehaps 4th round of applying for internship and are not landing any interviews? If you don't feel comfortable posting on the forum please send me a private message.
This is my 2nd attempt and at this point I am just a little irritated that I have spent the last 5 years of my life dedicating myself to a degree I may never get because of a lack of internship. How is it that I can jump every hoop, pass every exam, complete every practica, slam dunk my dissertation, have a SOLID work history and experience in the field and receive rejection letters stating I am not a good match!
I do not want sympathy, pity or a keep your chin up answer. What I want to know is if anyone is else as mad as I am that their career has come down to an interview that may never happen?
This is my 2nd attempt and at this point I am just a little irritated that I have spent the last 5 years of my life dedicating myself to a degree I may never get because of a lack of internship. How is it that I can jump every hoop, pass every exam, complete every practica, slam dunk my dissertation, have a SOLID work history and experience in the field and receive rejection letters stating I am not a good match!
I do not want sympathy, pity or a keep your chin up answer. What I want to know is if anyone is else as mad as I am that their career has come down to an interview that may never happen?
🙁
me too... 🙁 I really didn't like the letter they wrote...i hate letter attachments, its soo....yucky 😏
I have a question, do we rank sites even if we didn't get an interview (i.e. do they rank us at all?) I am guessing not but just wondering cuzI only have three interviews 🙁 🙁 🙁 and the rest are basically rejections lol
As far as I know, there's no drawback--other than the time spent--to ranking sites to which you've applied but weren't invited to interview. Albeit the chance of matching is very small, but I don't think there'd be anything actually stopping you from including them on your list.
Oops, forgot to add that -- it's the one in Charleston
I'm confused, Their website states explicitly that candidates are not "invited" for interviews, but you can schedule to "visit" the site on certain dates. Whats the deal?
3
363492
Oops, forgot to add that -- it's the one in Charleston
I'm confused; according to their brochure, they don't do invites. They arrange visits, if requested.
How is it that I can jump every hoop, pass every exam, complete every practica, slam dunk my dissertation, have a SOLID work history and experience in the field and receive rejection letters stating I am not a good match!
I think anyone who has gone through or is currently going through this process can feel your pain. Something will have to be done to remedy this situation even if it means offering a non-clinical degree alternative for people in your situation (met all degree requirements except internship). But for now the situation is what it is and for most programs you must complete an internship. I personally do not know anyone who has had to apply more than 2 times. I imagine a program would rally around an unmatched applicant and help him/her improve their stats in the year between applications by refining letters/essays, expanding geographic range, increasing or diversifying clinical hours with additional practica, defending the dissertation, or getting a publication or two. I don't think there are any quick fixes, but would advise you to be open, up-front, and downright pushy (if need be) with your program. They know your training and level of skill and they also have a vested interest in your completion. Thus, they should be working with you to get you over this (admittedly atrocious) hurdle. They are your best resource--not a forum of other disenchanted trainees. We are good for venting and support, but ultimately you need to land interviews. Best wishes!

I'm confused, Their website states explicitly that candidates are not "invited" for interviews, but you can schedule to "visit" the site on certain dates. Whats the deal?
I requested an in person interview because if I'm seriously going to consider a place, I have to see it! Anywho, after my request, I was offered a date to visit -- I'm assuming if I wasn't a good match, they wouldn't want me to come, but who knows.
Oh. Ok, well I suppose we now have to ask if anyone has called them to request a visit and then been denied?
Is it based on their view of your app or simply a first come first serve basis for those who applied and are interested in seeing the facilities?
Is it based on their view of your app or simply a first come first serve basis for those who applied and are interested in seeing the facilities?
Just got an invite invitation from Zucker/Long Island Jewish Hospital...I am over the moon!! It was an email (generic)...no dates listed!!
was LIJ for child track?
3
363492
I think anyone who has gone through or is currently going through this process can feel your pain. Something will have to be done to remedy this situation even if it means offering a non-improve their stats in the year between applications by refining letters/essays, expanding geographic range, increasing or diversifying clinical hours with additional practica, defending the dissertation, or getting a publication or two.
I have 7 publications in peer reviewed journals, 8 or 9 professional presentations at conferences, my dissertation is done, and my practica have all been at great sites. I did not geographically restrict myself and I included a representative sample of sites in terms of competitiveness. Yet, I am getting far more rejections than invites. Maybe it's me, but it seems that something is screwy about this process. 😕
3
363492
refining letters/essays.
...and I had multiple faculty members read my letters and essays - I received nothing but minor suggestions and positive feedback. Each person who wrote a letter for me gave me a copy - all stellar. This process is extremely frustrating and confusing.
...and I had multiple faculty members read my letters and essays - I received nothing but minor suggestions and positive feedback. Each person who wrote a letter for me gave me a copy - all stellar. This process is extremely frustrating and confusing.
I think anyone who has gone through or is currently going through this process can feel your pain. Something will have to be done to remedy this situation even if it means offering a non-improve their stats in the year between applications by refining letters/essays, expanding geographic range, increasing or diversifying clinical hours with additional practica, defending the dissertation, or getting a publication or two.
I have 7 publications in peer reviewed journals, 8 or 9 professional presentations at conferences, my dissertation is done, and my practica have all been at great sites. I did not geographically restrict myself and I included a representative sample of sites in terms of competitiveness. Yet, I am getting far more rejections than invites. Maybe it's me, but it seems that something is screwy about this process. 😕
it's not always your stats (like number of pubs etc) but more of a question of fit. It's like a bodybuilder being entered in a marathon; sure, he may be super in-shape but not a good fit for endurance running.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3
363492
it's not always your stats (like number of pubs etc) but more of a question of fit. It's like a bodybuilder being entered in a marathon; sure, he may be super in-shape but not a good fit for endurance running.
I chose sites very carefully to match my research and training. Quite frankly, I am not sure what I will do differently if I have to go this a second time.
Denver VA rejection
was the rejection by e-mail? I still have not heard anything from them either way 🙁
I have 7 publications in peer reviewed journals, 8 or 9 professional presentations at conferences, my dissertation is done, and my practica have all been at great sites. I did not geographically restrict myself and I included a representative sample of sites in terms of competitiveness. Yet, I am getting far more rejections than invites. Maybe it's me, but it seems that something is screwy about this process. 😕
We were just discussing this in my lab today. My supervisor was surprised when talking to people from what she considered "strong labs" with long histories of having students get LOTS of interviews getting 3, 4, 5 interviews. She said just 5 years ago people from these "strong labs" were getting 10, 11, 12...
I'm blessed to have the interviews that I do, but the process does seem to be broken without a strong fix in sight. Unless they can somehow push for increased numbers of sites there seems to be a need to limit the demand on the system and I don't have a good answer for that either.
I'm confused, Their website states explicitly that candidates are not "invited" for interviews, but you can schedule to "visit" the site on certain dates. Whats the deal?
I also applied to WVU Charleston and am waiting to hear back. You may ask to visit, but my impression is that they don't let everyone visit. If you look, they have had 18 or 19 people visit each of the last three years, which seems to suggest that they aren't letting everyone come.
Please post if you hear back from them, and I will do the same.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 155
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 9K
