2011 DO Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is ACGME gen surg considered "DO friendly?"

It isn't friendly. However, it is the most "DO friendly" ACGME surgical field. They accept ~30 DOs a year into general surgery, where as only 0 to 5 DOs match into the other surgical specialties such as ACGME ortho, neuro, and so on.

Members don't see this ad.

It is still PCOM's and, yes, it is AOA.

AOA residency opportunities & Albert Einstein both state that it acquired the program from PCOM, but it's still listed as "PCOM / Albert Einstein." I found that a little confusing and contradictory. Do you know anything about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any schools in the West up yet?

Usually not. Heard from several 4th years that ACGME gen surg programs are notoriously anti-DO, for whatever reason, but a couple 4th years matched (they were rockstars though).

I agree. Many programs where I interviewed at brought up that I am a DO and as a DO it will be hard to match.

Last edited:
Anecdotally, it seemed like this year's match was pretty competitive. I know some classmates with incredible scores not match categorical allopathic gen surg.

Depends where you want to go. If one ranked all university based programs of course chances of getting in are very slim even with good board scores. If one casts the net more broadly willing to relocate God knows where chances will be better.

I've attached a spreadsheet of the self reported matches so far. It's missing approximately 100 students.

The names have been removed but other than that it's exactly what I've been sent.

Will you let us know when the full match list is out?

Members don't see this ad :)
So TouroCOM-NY released the locations they matched to. We don't have a list with the field matched into becaus <insert FERPA reason here>. We're supposed to have in the next month as we figure out for the first time how to do a opt-in vs opt-out system on releasing our graduate information publicly. Here are the matched hospitals though.

Cleveland Clinic (OH)
Mayo Clinic (MN)
Brooke Army Medical Center (TX)
Nassau University Medical Center (NY) x7
Wyckhoff Heights Medical Center (NY)
Eisenhower Army Medical Center (GA)
Aria Health (PA) x3
Danbury Hospital (CT)
St. Michael's Hospital (NJ)
St. John's Episcopal (NY) x4
University of Wisconsin/St. Lukes Milwaulkee x2
Metro Health Hospital (MI)
St. Joseph's Regional (NJ)
United Hospital Systems (WI)
Magnolia Regional Health Center (MS)
Stamford Hospital/Columbia University (CT)
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore (MD)
Indiana University School of Medicine x2
Walter Reed Army Medical Center (D.C.)
Maimonides Medical Center (NY) x4
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University (MA)
Hofstra/NSLIJ (NY)
Greenwich Hospital (CT)
St. Luke's Roosevelt (NY) x2
Peninsula Hospital (NY) x3
Stony Brook Teaching Hospital (NY)
Maine Medical Center
Brookhaven Memorial Hospital (NY)
St. Barnabus Hospital (NJ) x3
Hospital of St. Raphael (CT)
SUNY Health Science Center/SUNY Downstate (NY) x2
Philadelphia College of Medicine (PA)
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (AZ) x2
East Carolina School of Medicine (NC)
Metropolitan Hospital Center (NY)
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center (CA)
Westchester Medical Center (NY)
McMaster University Medical Center (Ontario, Canada)
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center (NY) x2
University of Minnesota Medical School
Downey Regional Medical Center (CA)
Jamaica Hospital (NY)
Univerity at Buffalo School of Medicine (NY)
Jersey City Hospital (NJ)
Good Samaritan Hospital (NY)
St. Peter's University Hospital (NJ)
Columbia Hospital/Palms West Hospital (FL)
Wilson Memorial Regional (NY)
St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital (MI)
Naval Hospital Porsmouth (VA)
TUCOM-CA/Valley Hospital Medical Center (NV)
Pitt County Memorial (NC)
Madigan Army Medical Center (WA)
San Diego Medical Center (CA)
University of California (CA)
William Beaumont Army Medical Center (TX)
Southampton hospital (NY) x2
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital (MI)
Coney Island Hospital (NY)
Santa Barbara Cottage (CA)
Inova Fairfax Hospital (D.C.)
University of Hawaii
Genesys Regional Medical Center (MI)
Berkshire Medical Center (MA)
Case Western/Metrohealth Medical Center (OH)

Its amusing that we sent the most people, 7, to Nassau, where we don't really have any affiliation. Its just a nice hospital in Long Island.

hmm. Thanks for the list but when can we get the actual residencies matched?

Its funny that whoever put that list together made PCOM, PCoM. Ironic from one DO school to another. ;) Oh well, haha.

Wow. Yea. They have it listed out at PCoM and everywhere they use the official and long names (I rewrote this from pictures I took of the list). But they randomly used "of" instead of "Osteopathic"

hmm. Thanks for the list but when can we get the actual residencies matched?

many (if not most) of the schools have issues with FERPA. Often the "lists" we get are people who are technically not supposed to be releasing them as anything with names on it is definitely not allowed in the US for FERPA reasons and enough people (AOA president Nichols being one of them) feel that releasing the residency field itself might be a FERPA violation too. Because of this they give 4th years about a month to opt out of releasing their residency placement publicly. And even then, it's usually just released to internal servers with passwords required for access, not to the public.

Expect it to come out end of April, which is when many/most schools release it anyway.

Notable matches from DMU with only 75% of the class reporting...

Allopathic cardiothoracic surgery
Allopathic Urology
Anesthesia x 6 (all ACGME)
EM x 20 (13 ACGME)
Neuro x 5 (all ACGME)
Ortho x 8
Path x 1
Rads x 4 (all ACGME)
Surgery x 8 (one non-military ACGME)

Last edited:

Allopathic Urology
EM x 20 (13 ACGME)
Neuro x 5 (all ACGME)
Ortho x 8
Path x 1
Rads x 4 (all ACGME)

I always thought CT surgery was a fellowship after general surgery. You can match directly into a residency for CT?

I always thought CT surgery was a fellowship after general surgery. You can match directly into a residency for CT?

General rule: AOA residencies only have the basic categories. No "direct fellowships". NRMP residencies are *usually* the same way, but they have a good smattering of "direct ins" here and there.

It's lead to a very interesting dichotomy in at least one field. Oncology is extremely competitive as a residency. It is quite easy to get as a fellowship for anyone who has a decent recommendation from an oncologist. There just isn't much competition for the oncology fellowships, despite strong competition for the residencies. They are the same education, just 5 years residency vs 4 + 2 of fellowship (or whatever it is. I forget)

It's pretty new. There are a few integrated/combined allopathic CT surg programs out now. If you look ok the surgery forum there are some threads debating the pros/cons of this. But from I've seen CT surg is hurting for candidates and so this is a way to attract more interest.

Allopathic Urology
EM x 20 (13 ACGME)
Neuro x 5 (all ACGME)
Ortho x 8
Path x 1
Rads x 4 (all ACGME)

that is a quite impressive list so far...

It would be impressive if everyone got their #1 choice, otherwise, it means jack ****. Also, how do you know if 30 people wanted ortho and only 8 got it...

And that is why match lists don't matter. :rolleyes:

if you take it a face value it is cool to see who matched where.

It does matter to those who've had people tell them there's no way they could get anything beyond ACGME IM, FM, EM or anesth as a DO. No matter what they try or how good they are.

Pretty intrigued by the ACGME CT surg match... along with some of the gen surg match myself. I matched ACGME anesthesia, but my first love was surgery. I didn't want to do a DO residency, so I decided to to pursue anesthesia since I loved that specialty as well (after doing a rotation) and it was more DO friendly. Anyways, congrats to y'all!

It's pretty new. There are a few integrated/combined allopathic CT surg programs out now. If you look ok the surgery forum there are some threads debating the pros/cons of this. But from I've seen CT surg is hurting for candidates and so this is a way to attract more interest.

I've always wondered what's the difference between cardiothoracic surg and thoracic surg?

These are STRONG PM&R matches! If any of you PM&R guys are on the forum and have questions about internship/residency get in touch. Congrats to all the UMDNJ-SOMers!

Anesthesia (5) (ACGME)
Temple
University of Penn
University of Missouri
St. Barnabas (NJ)
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital

Emergency Medicine (8)
Thomas Jefferson University
University of South Florida
UCSF-Fresno
Lehigh Valley Health (Dual program)
UMDNJ-SOM (2)
St. Barnabas Hospital (NY)
St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Paterson, NJ

EM/FM
Aria Health

EM/IM
UMDNJ-SOM (2)

Family Medicine (16)
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
Overlook Hospital, Summit, NJ (2)
UMDNJ-RWJ
UMDNJ-SOM (6)
SUNY-Stony Brook
Bryn Mawr
Drexel/Hahnemann University Hospital
University of Pittsburgh, St. Margaret's Hospital
UNECOM/Kent Hospital, Warwick, RI
Harbor-UCLA

General Surgery
UMDNJ-SOM

Internal Medicine (22)
The Cleveland Clinic (3)
Christiana Care Health System- Wilmington, DE
Atlanticare Regional Medical Center-NJ
Cooper University Hospital- Camden, NJ
Drexel/St. Peter's University Hospital-NJ
St. Michael's Hospital (2)- Newark, NJ
UMDNJ-NJMS- Newark, NJ
UMDNJ-RWJ- New Brunswick, NJ
Albert Einstein-Beth Israel Medical Center-NY, NY
North Shore, LIJ (SIUH)- NY
OUSOM-Doctor's Hospital- OH
Albert Einstein (2)- Philadelphia, PA
Crozer-Chester Medical Center-PA
Mercy Fitzgerald Medical Center- Darby, PA
St. Luke's -Bethlehem, PA

OB/GYN (9)
UMASS
Morristown Memorial Hospital- Morristown, NJ
Newark Beth Israel- Newark, NJ
St. Peter's University Hospital-NJ
UMDNJ-SOM
UMDNJ-South Jersey Regional (2)-Vineland, NJ
Lutheran Medical Center- NY, NY
NYCOM-Good Samaritan

Orthopedic Surgery (2)
UMDNJ-SOM
PCOM

Pathology
UMDNJ-RWJ

Pediatrics (8)
A.I. duPont Hospital for Children (2)-DE
Advocate Hope Children's Hospital- IL
Morristown Memorial Hospital (2)-NJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Geisinger
Morehouse School of Medicine

PMR (5)
Cornell/Columbia-NY Presbyterian
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson University (2)
Mt. Sinai

Psychiatry (5)
Tufts Medical Center- Boston, MA
Cooper University Hospital-Camden, NJ
UMDNJ-RWJ
Albert Einstein- Philadelphia, PA
Temple University

Radiology (2)
Temple University Hospital
Tripler Army Medical Center

Urology
Albert Einstein- Phildaelphia, PA

Traditional Rotating/Prelim
DCMH/Crozer (4)
Largo Medical Center, FL
Lankenau
UMDNJ-SOM (2+)
Christ Hospital- NJ (2)

Thoracic is geared towards the lungs and esophagus. They may also do vagotomies. They do not do hearts.

But they do. That's why I'm confused. The thoracic surgeon I shadowed did a CABG.

Thoracic is geared towards the lungs and esophagus. They may also do vagotomies. They do not do hearts.

Yea I was gonna say that the thoracic surgeons I know (n=2) work hearts as well. I just figured that they do any heart or lung thing that comes through the door needing them, while the CT does the more difficult heart jobs and the ones that have 'time to prepare for' so that you can get the CT in to do it, rather than whatever surgeon you have closest to you who isnt a total klutz in the thorax.

Both the osteo and allo match lists can be found here, at the bottom of the page.

EDITED ALLOPATHIC RESIDENCY MATCH RESULTS 2011

Institution Name Program

Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr -AZ Internal Medicine
Michigan State Univ – East Lansing Phys Medicine & Rehab
U Kansas SOM – Kansas City Neurology
UC Davis Med Ctr – CA Family Medicine
Oakwood Hospital – MI Internal Medicine
U Michigan Hosps – Ann Arbor Family Med/Chelsea
Med Coll Wisconsin Affil Hosps Pediatrics
William Beaumont Hosp – MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
St Francis Hospital – CT Obstetrics-Gynecology
Memorial Hospital – IN Family Medicine
Exempla St Joseph Hosp – CO Obstetrics-Gynecology
Advocate Lutheran Gen Hosp – IL Pediatrics
William Beaumont Hosp – MI Pathology
Advocate Christ Med Ctr – IL Pediatrics
Sparrow Hospital – MI Obstetrics-Gynecology
Cleveland Clinic Fdn – OH Anesthesiology
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners – MI Pediatrics
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ – MN Internal Medicine
St John Hospital – MI Pediatrics
Case Western/Metro Health Med Ctr – OH Pediatrics
Michigan State Univ – Kalamazoo Emergency Medicine
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr – MI Int Med/Det/Harper/VA
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ – MN Neurology
Henry Ford HSC – MI Transitional
Michigan State Univ – Kalamazoo Emergency Medicine
WSU/Detroit Med Ctr – MI Phys Medicine & Rehab
University Hosp-Cincinnati – OH Psychiatry
Ohio State Univ Med Ctr – OH Internal Medicine
William Beaumont Hosp – MI Internal Medicine
MidMichigan Med Center – MI Family Medicine
Grand Rapids Med Ed Partners – MI Obstetrics-Gynecology

36 applicants, 30 matched

**Results are transcribed as we do not receive them electronically

Last edited:
Any word on PCOMs match list? I know where about ~1/4 of my classmates matched but I heard some 3rd years talking about seeing an actual list.

Most went through CT then did further thoracic training. So, yes, they CAN do hearts, but most don't when there's a cardiac surgeon available who does it a lot more.

Dude are you talking out of your ass? The thoracic surgeons I know did not do CT training, then go back to do more thoracic. Who would do such a thing? That's like being trained in OB-gyn and then going back to get more training in OB.

Dude are you talking out of your ass? The thoracic surgeons I know did not do CT training, then go back to do more thoracic. Who would do such a thing? That's like being trained in OB-gyn and then going back to get more training in OB.

The CT group I rotated with a couple months ago was getting a new partner who did just this... CT trained but went and did some extra thoracic work since he was coming to be their main lung guy and start doing more minimally invasive lung surgeries that the other guys really didn't have the experience with.

The CT group I rotated with a couple months ago was getting a new partner who did just this... CT trained but went and did some extra thoracic work since he was coming to be their main lung guy and start doing more minimally invasive lung surgeries that the other guys really didn't have the experience with.

Well obviously some people go straight into throacic surgery since there's a residency just for that. The surgeon I shadowed did gen surg, then thoracic. But he did CABG's. So I don't get the difference between a thoracic surgeon and a CT surgeon.

Pretty intrigued by the ACGME CT surg match... along with some of the gen surg match myself. I matched ACGME anesthesia, but my first love was surgery. I didn't want to do a DO residency, so I decided to to pursue anesthesia since I loved that specialty as well (after doing a rotation) and it was more DO friendly. Anyways, congrats to y'all!

Definitely good to know anesthesia is relatively DO friendly. I'm most interested in that & PMR right now (I'm sure that may change). Is anesthesia DO friendly with usmle or will comlex suffice? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Definitely good to know anesthesia is relatively DO friendly. I'm most interested in that & PMR right now (I'm sure that may change). Is anesthesia DO friendly with usmle or will comlex suffice? Just wondering.

From the handful of spots I actually know this answer for: COMLEX will suffice. But I still say that taking the USMLE is low risk if you feel comfortable with the test question format. You're gonna need to be a smart DO no matter what to get anesthesia. So you shouldn't bomb the USMLE and as long as you don't I dont see how it can hurt you if some places to do want it. (someone will reply to this with an anecdote in opposition to this, or some theoretical doomsday scenario. I dont care. Thats my story and i'm sticking to it)

From the handful of spots I actually know this answer for: COMLEX will suffice. But I still say that taking the USMLE is low risk if you feel comfortable with the test question format. You're gonna need to be a smart DO no matter what to get anesthesia. So you shouldn't bomb the USMLE and as long as you don't I dont see how it can hurt you if some places to do want it. (someone will reply to this with an anecdote in opposition to this, or some theoretical doomsday scenario. I dont care. Thats my story and i'm sticking to it)

haha I like the disclaimer....it is definitely needed on this site.

Well obviously some people go straight into throacic surgery since there's a residency just for that. The surgeon I shadowed did gen surg, then thoracic. But he did CABG's. So I don't get the difference between a thoracic surgeon and a CT surgeon.

Instead of asking me if I'm talking out of my ass and giving your "n = 1" experience, how about hitting up the surgery forum and asking.
Also, how about you STFU and prep for a COMLEX exam, so then you can actually dream of hitting a specialty rather than FP.

Disclaimer: I'm a little pissed off over whiny bitchy 3rd years right now...

Instead of asking me if I'm talking out of my ass and giving your "n = 1" experience, how about hitting up the surgery forum and asking.

I wasn't going by n=1. I was going by the fact that it sounds ridiculous and the fact that there's a specific residency (and fellowships) for thoracic surgery that don't include a residency in CT.

Also, how about you STFU and prep for a COMLEX exam, so then you can actually dream of hitting a specialty rather than FP.

I'm an MD student, dude. I won't be taking COMLEX, but thanks for your concern.

Disclaimer: I'm a little pissed off over whiny bitchy 3rd years right now...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't going by n=1. I was going by the fact that it sounds ridiculous and the fact that there's a specific residency (and fellowships) for thoracic surgery that don't include a residency in CT.

I'm an MD student, dude. I won't be taking COMLEX, but thanks for your concern.

Disclaimer: I'm a little pissed off over whiny bitchy 3rd years right now...
[/QUOTE]

Same difference, substitute USMLE then. :rolleyes:

Not all individuals go into residency knowing exactly what they want. Especially surgery. A lot of the straight track residencies are a new concept, i.e. integrated plastics/thoracic, etc.

Same difference, substitute USMLE then. :rolleyes:

Not all individuals go into residency knowing exactly what they want. Especially surgery. A lot of the straight track residencies are a new concept, i.e. integrated plastics/thoracic, etc.

You seem to have veered completely off-track. My point was, if thoracic surgeons do heart stuff, why is there a separate field/residency for them. You obviously don't know the answer, so let's just end this here.