2011 DO Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WesternU-COMP
This is what's reported so far.

Anesthesiology
ACGME
Cleveland Clinic
Univ of Mississippi Med Center
University of Colorado
University of Florida
University of Texas Houston
University of Texas Medial Branch
Virginia Mason
AOA
Riverside County Regional Med Center x2

Emergency Medicine
ACGME

Denver Health Medical Center
Kern Medical Center x2
Resurrection Medical Center
Synergy Med Ed Alliance-MI
AOA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center x4
Botsford Hospital
Good Samaritan
Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital
St. James Hospital and Health/ CCOM x2
St. Mary Mercy Hospital
UNECOM/Kent

EM/IM
PCOM Aria Healthcare (AOA)

ENT/Facial Plastics
Detroit Medical Center (AOA)

Family Medicine
ACGME

Baylor College of Medicine
Contra Costa
Glendale Adventist Medical Center
Harbor UCLA
Kaiser Fontana x2
Kaiser OC x5
Kaiser Riverside
Loma Linda University
Long Beach Memorial
Northern Colorado Medical Center
Northridge Hospital Medical Center
O'Connor/Stanford x3
Palmetto Health
Pomona Valley Medical Center
San Joaquin General Hospital
Scripps Mercy Chula Vista
UCI x2
UCLA- Santa Monica
UCSD x3
University of Massachusetts
USC - California Hospital
UT Southwestern Medical Center
Valley Medical Center x3
White Memorial x3
ACGME/AOA
Central Maine Medical Center
Glendale Adventist Medical Center
Martin Army Community Hospital
Providence St. Peter
Raleigh General
University of Wyoming
AOA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
Christ Hospital
Downey Regional Medical Center
Good Samaritan Reg Med
Lutheran Medical Center
Riverside Regional Medical Center
St. John's Episcopal
Wilson Medical Center
Military
Womack

General Surgery
ACGME

Oregon Health and Sciences University
AOA

Internal Medicine
ACGME

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation Program
Legacy Good Samaritan/Emanuel Hospital x2
Loma Linda University x7
UCI
UCLA-Olive View
UCSF Fresno x2
University of Arizona
University of Chicago/NorthShore
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
ACGME/AOA
Geisinger Medical Center
AOA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center x5
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals

IM/Flight Med
WPAFB/WrightStateUniv. (Military)

Neurosurgery
North Shore Long Island Jewish (AOA/ACGME)

OB/GYN
ACGME

Harbor UCLA
Loma Linda University x2
Ohio State University
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
UMDNJ Newark
University of Tennessee
AOA
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center x2
Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center

Orthopedic Surgery
AOA

Botsford Hospital
Ingham Regional Medical Center
St. James Hospital and Health/ CCOM

Pathology
ACGME

Cedars - Sinai Medical Center
University of South Alabama
USC x2

Pediatrics
ACGME

Greenville Children's Hospital
Harbor- UCLA
Levine Children's Hospital/CMC
Loma Linda University
Lutheran General Children's Hospital
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
USC

PM&R
ACGME
Carolinas Medical Center/CMC
Loma Linda University
Mayo Clinic
Nassau University Medical Center
NYU Rusk Rehabilitation x2
Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
Stanford School of Medicine
UT Southwestern Medical Center
ACGME/AOA
Nassau University Medical Center

Psychiatry
ACGME
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
Banner Good Samaritan/U of A x2
Harbor UCLA
Harvard South Shore
Loma Linda University x3
U of Kansas, Wichita
UCSF Fresno
University New Mexico SOM
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
University of Nevada, Las Vegas x2
USC
ACGME/AOA
John Peter Smith Hospital
AOA
Good Samaritan Reg Med
Millcreek Community Hospital (LECOM)

Radiology
ACGME
Kaiser Los Angeles Medical Center (Sunset)
AOA
Botsford Hospital
Mount Clemens Regional Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's an awesome list by Western this year!

I thought the FM program at NH-Dartmouth was ACGME/AOA. Is it strictly ACGME?

Just looking at the lists, I noticed that there are no optho matches??:confused:

You seem to have veered completely off-track. My point was, if thoracic surgeons do heart stuff, why is there a separate field/residency for them. You obviously don't know the answer, so let's just end this here.

1. I'm not an expert on CT surgery.
2. I did work for a CVT surgeon for 3 years.
3. The following is my best guess.

The classic [CVT] surgery training took residents through both cardiac and thoracic surgery (as I understand it) but more recently, these specialties have been separated.

A thoracic surgeon spends a lot of time cutting/dissecting near very important vessels/structures (i.e. pulmonary veins/arteries, the aorta, the heart itself). They must have some knowledge of these vessels/structures. BUT I'm pretty sure the "thoracic" surgeon you have witnessed doing a CABG was actually a CT surgeon that does mostly thoracic procedures. There ain't no way that a thoracic surgeon could do a CABG otherwise because I'm pretty sure they don't train for it (hence the distinction in residency).

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid match list from COMP.

Surprised to see so many people choosing Psych.

Solid match list from COMP.

Surprised to see so many people choosing Psych.

I've been saying for the past two match seasons now that it's going to start catching on and more and more people are going to start picking psyche ... if the trend continues, I'm going to start betting more.

Anyone got the full NSU match list from this year? The one posted earlier is still partial.

I've been saying for the past two match seasons now that it's going to start catching on and more and more people are going to start picking psyche ... if the trend continues, I'm going to start betting more.

Why do you think that?

Chill residency, chill lifestyle. Decent pay for the amount of work that one does as an attending. Decent fellowship options, too.

Here's the scoop on shrinks: I'd add that psych, among the "lower paying" specialties, is actually an outdated notion...Psychiatrists are in increasing demand now and will be even more so for one main reason: The baby boomers are getting old (read:...depression, dementias, pharmacological management of elderly internal med or nursing home patients on 17 meds and floridly psychotic)...

What's more is, they actually do better than peds and FP for the most part income-wise, making AS much or more than IM (and imagine how much less stress they have)...The two coasts (esp NYC and Southern Cali or San Fran) is where you get great, the best locations and pay ($180-200K/yr for general adult psych right out of residency, although in New Jersey they can start at $250K), even more in rural areas or as a child psych you're also looking at $250K+ and up to 300K if you have your own practice (think: little overhead, i.e. no equipment to buy, low liability, set your own damn hours, pick and choose your pts)...

You can work as much or as little as you want (similar to ER shift work) with an added bonus: Little or no calls AND in a variety of settings (ED, hospital consults, outpatient clinics, courts), and way above all, you can easily demand CASH-only in private practice.

Though few people pursue fellowships after 4 years of training, psych is among the specialties eligible for lucrative ones like pain, sleep (no pain or sleep group is comprehensive without a psychiatrist in the practice, even though procedure-wise you won't have the upper hand and pain fellowships prefer other specialties ahead of psych, but still open to you as a psych grad)...What else? Forensics has been known to rake in upwards of 700 bucks/hr to testify or work on legal cases and at least a few notable personalities in forensics are well known to have seven figure salaries. Consult-Liason psych is another cool fellowship that is basically the interface of medicine and psych (i.e. assessing for depression secondary to beta blockers? hypothyroidism? etc etc). To top it all off, most fellowships are only a year.

On a personal "satisfaction" note, I'd say since there are still a lot of unknowns in the field, a TON of the cutting edge research in medicine right now, as far as both pathophysiology, pharmacological treatment, and neuro-imaging (fMRI, SPECT, PET etc) is in psychiatry.

My theory is, the main reason psych isn't as popular or competitive as derm (beyond $$ or feeling like your "losing your medicine" or that the patients are "dangerous/annoying") is because it takes a certain PERSONALITY to be able to do psych, much much more so than in any other specialty.

I don't know the exact survey to reference, but apparently shrinks are also the "happiest" of all specialties with their choice.

Last edited:
Thanks for expanding on my comment. I agree with the below, especially the 2nd to the last point.

Here's the scoop on shrinks: I'd add that psych, among the "lower paying" specialties, is actually an outdated notion...Psychiatrists are in increasing demand now and will be even more so for one main reason: The baby boomers are getting old (read:...depression, dementias, pharmacological management of elderly internal med or nursing home patients on 17 meds and floridly psychotic)...

What's more is, they actually do better than peds and FP for the most part income-wise, making AS much or more than IM (and imagine how much less stress they have)...The two coasts (esp NYC and Southern Cali or San Fran) is where you get great, the best locations and pay ($180-200K/yr for general adult psych right out of residency, although in New Jersey they can start at $250K), even more in rural areas or as a child psych you're also looking at $250K+ and up to 300K if you have your own practice (think: little overhead, i.e. no equipment to buy, low liability, set your own damn hours, pick and choose your pts)...

You can work as much or as little as you want (similar to ER shift work) with an added bonus: Little or no calls AND in a variety of settings (ED, hospital consults, outpatient clinics, courts), and way above all, you can easily demand CASH only in private practice.

Though few people pursue fellowships after 4 years of training, psych is among the specialties eligible for lucrative ones like pain, sleep (no pain or sleep group is comprehensive without a psychiatrist in the practice, even though procedure-wise you won't have the upper hand and pain fellowships prefer other specialties ahead of psych, but still open to you as a psych grad)...What else? Forensics has been known to rake in upwards of 700 bucks/hr to testify or work on legal cases and at least a few notable personalities in forensics are well known to have seven figure salaries. Consult-Liason psych is another cool fellowship that is basically the interface of medicine and psych (i.e. assessing for depression secondary to beta blockers? hypothyroidism? etc etc). To top in off, most fellowships are only a year.

On a personal "satisfaction" note, I'd say since there are still a lot of unknowns in the field so a lot of the cutting edge research in medicine as far as both pathophysiology, pharmacological treatment, and neuro-imaging is in psychiatry.

My theory is, the main reason psych isn't as popular or competitive as derm (beyond $$ or feeling like your "losing your medicine" or that the patients are "dangerous/annoying") is because it takes a certain PERSONALITY to be able to do psych, much much more so than in any other specialty.

I don't the exact survey to reference, but apparently shrinks are also the "happiest" of all specialties with their choice.

Thanks for expanding on my comment. I agree with the below, especially the 2nd to the last point.

Oh, and the last point I could add, from what I've been informed of, depending on what the particular program and state laws permit, psych residencies offer pretty fat moonlighting opportunities starting in PGY3 (I heard up to $2000 in a WEEKEND added to your resident salary)...At over 100 bucks/hr as a resident doing weekend moonlighting in psych.

But alas the residency itself is not necessarily chill (especially at large university progs)

Last edited:
Chill residency, chill lifestyle. Decent pay for the amount of work that one does as an attending. Decent fellowship options, too.

You can work as much or as little as you want (similar to ER shift work) with an added bonus: Little or no calls AND in a variety of settings (ED, hospital consults, outpatient clinics, courts), and way above all, you can easily demand CASH-only in private practice.

Though few people pursue fellowships after 4 years of training, psych is among the specialties eligible for lucrative ones like pain, sleep (no pain or sleep group is comprehensive without a psychiatrist in the practice, even though procedure-wise you won't have the upper hand and pain fellowships prefer other specialties ahead of psych, but still open to you as a psych grad)...What else? Forensics has been known to rake in upwards of 700 bucks/hr to testify or work on legal cases and at least a few notable personalities in forensics are well known to have seven figure salaries. Consult-Liason psych is another cool fellowship that is basically the interface of medicine and psych (i.e. assessing for depression secondary to beta blockers? hypothyroidism? etc etc). To top it all off, most fellowships are only a year.

On a personal "satisfaction" note, I'd say since there are still a lot of unknowns in the field, a TON of the cutting edge research in medicine right now, as far as both pathophysiology, pharmacological treatment, and neuro-imaging (fMRI, SPECT, PET etc) is in psychiatry.

I don't know the exact survey to reference, but apparently shrinks are also the "happiest" of all specialties with their choice.

Interesting. Thanks for the info :)

[QUOTE

But alas the residency itself is not necessarily chill (especially at large university progs)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but relative to other specialties, it is.
How do you think these programs can afford to allow extensive moonlighting? Most average anywhere from 40-50 hrs/week... sure, the large elite university progs may have their residents working more, but I highly doubt it's more than what residents in other specialties are pulling. Hence, the "chill" factor.

Hmm, psych may be the dark horse in the coming years. It does seem like it takes the person to fill the job but I wonder if we can know enough as a 3rd/4th year to determine if one is cut out for it.

Hmm, psych may be the dark horse in the coming years. It does seem like it takes the person to fill the job but I wonder if we can know enough as a 3rd/4th year to determine if one is cut out for it.

Dunno but its one of our core rotations for 3rd year so you'll at least have some experience in it early; unlike something such as radiology which you'd have to wait for an elective your 4th year or shadowing, etc. I know at least one member of your class (you are a 2nd year right?) that only wanted to do Psych when she started school. I haven't heard her say that has changed yet.

You raise an interesting point that's been touched on before...Beyond being just a matter of *personality* that can do the job, it also has a lot to do with caliber of exposure....If more DO schools had university hospital affiliations, you'd have the opportunity to see psych in action as an integral part of the ED and exposure to dynamic aspects of the field like managing/consulting complex pts on medical or ICU services. Heck, do the rotation at a place that has a psych ED, consult-liason service, geriatric unit, addictions unit, a forensics service (get to work with forensic pathologists and also see how psychiatrists have so many options outside of hospitals or clinics...consulting firms, courts, prisons and so on).

If you're an EM fan, you could do ER psychiatry exclusively after residency. And you get all the shift work, excitement, and immediate gratification (detox etc) that comes with it (minus burnout) if you want it...** Best piece of advice I could ever give: There's more than one door to the residency that you want. Think smart. If you want optho, you can always do neuro (easier to get into) and then a one year neurooptho fellowship...Be creative with your choices and realize that fellowships or creating a "niche" for yourself and getting your name out, allows you to dip into other places if you want to.

It seems most students are exposed to inpatient psych hospitals in community settings (chronic and uninspiring stuff for a lot of med students and nothing more than the "vacation rotation") or else you tend to see some outpatient psych (more bread and butter mood/anxiety stuff that even FP's can handle). Do yourselves a favor and do elective rotations at university hospitals where you have the potential to be exposed to stuff that's not bread and butter... neuroimaging, electroconvulsive therapy, and so on.

Finally, to understand why psych is successful as one of the cash-only entities (if you want it to be) falls within the same realm as why derm and plastics are...Think in terms of stuff people value/need and feel are worthwhile to obtain without regard to insurance reimbursement: Cosmetics/aesthetics (so you can feel better about yourself), relief of anxiety, depression, psychosis, insomnia etc (so you can actually function and earn a living, etc) or quite frankly, maybe the patient is just hooked on benzos (but that's a whole other ethics discussion). Anyway, these are the "feel good" fields in medicine (alright you can toss anesthesiology in there too if they do cash-only plastics cases).

As a DO that knows you want psych, the biggest favor you can do yourself is to get yourself into an academic university program. You will work harder, but knowing that the future of the field is now more medical/biological/pharm/imagining and less touchy-feely/psychotherapy-oriented, you'd be doing yourself a huge favor. If you WANT to do cash-only psychotherapy, that flies too, but remember that psychologists can do the same...

Last edited:
Dunno but its one of our core rotations for 3rd year so you'll at least have some experience in it early; unlike something such as radiology which you'd have to wait for an elective your 4th year or shadowing, etc. I know at least one member of your class (you are a 2nd year right?) that only wanted to do Psych when she started school. I haven't heard her say that has changed yet.

I am a 2nd year and yes, Psych is required and we can choose Psych as a primary care rotation, but the required psych for most of us is community/preceptor based. It might be enough to find out it's something up your alley, but I guess you can't really know until you do it.

Great post! It's interesting that you looked into my interest in EM and tried to relate, because I have followed around Psych interns who were doing an EM rotation back in undergrad. It's a pretty interesting role that I somehow completely forgot about and I thank you for bring it up again.

About the university program rotations, this is why I'm a bit nervous about it. Nothing would freak me out more than setting up a nice 4th year psych rotation after prepping ERAS for another specialty and right then finding out that is what I want to do. That said, better then than never, right?

Could you tell us a bit of your own story with psych? I'd like to hear how you got into it.

Are psych rotations at DO schools typically done in small community settings or large mental institutions? I have a couple friends that are in MD school in Texas and most of their psych rotations seem to be at mental health institutions, so they have horror stories about patients drinking their own urine, throwing feces, etc...I imagine that will turn off a lot of students to psych pretty quickly. Doing the rotation in a smaller hospital is probably beneficial in this case, because you can see a broader sense of what the field is about rather than just the crazies...and I'd rather not have feces thrown at me.

I was in-hospital and a state psych hospital for the criminally insane for my psych rotation. It was a really awesome experience. Almost made me consider psych for my residency.

Some of my peers, however, only had outpatient psych and very weak psych consults in hospital.

I was in-hospital and a state psych hospital for the criminally insane for my psych rotation. It was a really awesome experience. Almost made me consider psych for my residency.

Some of my peers, however, only had outpatient psych and very weak psych consults in hospital.

Do you mind if I ask what hospital you did your rotation at? At my school, we get to choose where we want to go and I'd like to have a good psych experience as that's one of the fields I'm already considering.

I was in-hospital and a state psych hospital for the criminally insane for my psych rotation.

Was it anything like Shutter Island?? If so ... can we do elective rotations there?

Curious if that is a prelim spot vs. categorical. The latter would be more impressive than the former.

Agreed. My school didn't distinguish prelim vs categorical surgery, either.

Side note... I always thought that Bellvue would be an amazing psych experience, BTW. If any of you are in NY, check it out. I, myself, had a CRAPPY psych rotation.

MSUCOM got a 95% 1st choice placement. 1st choice! 36 out of ~200 went to MD residencies.

I think it's a lot easier for people to say they matched at their #1 than what reality ends up being. Plus, MSU also has a majority of the DO residencies under their consortium, not surprising. It all depends on what specialty and where they matched.

I think it's a lot easier for people to say they matched at their #1 than what reality ends up being. Plus, MSU also has a majority of the DO residencies under their consortium, not surprising. It all depends on what specialty and where they matched.

"1st choice" is meaningless to me. What if my first choice was Derm and then I fail comlex 2...well guess what...I am going to be ranking family practice. Is that really my first choice?...What if I wanted to go to Mass General and on my interview it went horribly wrong, so I ranked another program ahead of it...was that really my first choice? " What if I wanted acgme first but did not want to risk scrambling and went AOA...was that really my first choice? first chioce just means that is the program you thought you could get accepted at"..not necessarily where you wanted to go.

Overall,

Yes. MSU has a good match list, but doesn't amaze me. MSU has the benefit of all sorts of AOA and ACGME/AOA programs under their consortium. Just being an MSU student/grad is a foot in the door. Plus, they rotate all over their consortium. No true need to go outside of it for aways unless you wish to do so. MD programs don't require auditions to match. DO programs; however, do. Their core rotations are like auditions, plus their electives and selectives. Good for them, they picked to go to MSU, fair enough... I didn't think it was worth the 50-60K in OOS tuition they put on OOS'ers. If I wanted to get out of the South and go to a program that has a lot of their own residency programs, I'd applied to UMDNJ...

Some of the other programs have a much better match list, no offense, to any MSUCOM-er. So, yes, the whole 95% getting their "1st choice" bit is pointless and useless.

Its a prelim spot. All ACGME surg matches for tcom were prelims this year.
also on the map, rotate the earth to see hawaii, 2 matches in psych at Honolulu.
I was going to post a match list for TCOM 2011 but since someone posted the map view, I guess thats good enough.

Overall,

Yes. MSU has a good match list, but doesn't amaze me. MSU has the benefit of all sorts of AOA and ACGME/AOA programs under their consortium. Just being an MSU student/grad is a foot in the door. Plus, they rotate all over their consortium. No true need to go outside of it for aways unless you wish to do so. MD programs don't require auditions to match. DO programs; however, do. Their core rotations are like auditions, plus their electives and selectives. Good for them, they picked to go to MSU, fair enough... I didn't think it was worth the 50-60K in OOS tuition they put on OOS'ers. If I wanted to get out of the South and go to a program that has a lot of their own residency programs, I'd applied to UMDNJ...

Some of the other programs have a much better match list, no offense, to any MSUCOM-er. So, yes, the whole 95% getting their "1st choice" bit is pointless and useless.

Some schools, like KCOM and DMU, allow you to do your rotations in Michigan. Do get the same advantages as MSU students, without paying ridiculous tuition, by doing your rotations in Michigan when applying for residencies?

Some schools, like KCOM and DMU, allow you to do your rotations in Michigan. Do get the same advantages as MSU students, without paying ridiculous tuition, by doing your rotations in Michigan when applying for residencies?

I don't know... imagine it couldn't hurt..

I just can't stand MI... or OH.

Western's list is pretty impressive....for any institution, MD or DO

I know that we (KCOM) match a lot into Michigan but it's difficult to determine 1. whether or not said student matching there did their rotations there and 2. the rate at which we match in comparison to MSU grads. I'd bet it's similar, but I have nothing to back that up. We send a lot of people through MSU and OU sites, though.

Oh, and I heard (but you'd have to confirm this with an MSU student) that they assign you your spot, as opposed to KCOM you choose your spot (with the qualifier that it is indeed a lottery and that we don't rotate through all of their sites).