2011 DO Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Say you like women's health... at an opposed residency a lot of those cases are going to go to the OB/GYN residents. If you're unopposed you'll retain more cases for yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Say you like women's health... at an opposed residency a lot of those cases are going to go to the OB/GYN residents. If you're unopposed you'll retain more cases for yourself.

ahhh gotcha. So basically a not-so-big-name hospital will give you FP residents a wide variety of cases, but not the opposed residency programs.

Isn't there a fine line between an unopposed and opposed residency? - In terms of variety of cases that the resident gets to handle? For example, would you want to find a program that is a good/well-known hospital that provides you with a great range of practice, but doesn't give all cases to the other specialties?

Hope this makes sense..

ahhh gotcha. So basically a not-so-big-name hospital will give you FP residents a wide variety of cases, but not the opposed residency programs.

Isn't there a fine line between an unopposed and opposed residency? - In terms of variety of cases that the resident gets to handle? For example, would you want to find a program that is a good/well-known hospital that provides you with a great range of practice, but doesn't give all cases to the other specialties?

Hope this makes sense..

You get the best/most broad training going unopposed. Do you really want to be competing with others for patients? Enjoy being relegated to the role of IM resident, even though you applied for FM to get that broad clinical experience.

You get the best/most broad training going unopposed. Do you really want to be competing with others for patients? Enjoy being relegated to the role of IM resident, even though you applied for FM to get that broad clinical experience.

I dont understand where competition plays into this, if you are on your Peds month, all you do is Peds. You maybe with peds residents at the same time, but you are getting the same experience. If you are on your OB month, then you are on OB with OB residents. I dont see where competition plays. You are part of the team. Patients are usually given out evenly and fairly to all residents, whether you are a transitional resident with IM residents, or a FM residents with OB residents.

I'm sure it's going to be heavily program specific and vary among them, but I've seen that happen to some degree. While on OB the FP intern was treated more like a 4th yr med student than their own OB intern.

I think there's certainly pros and cons with going to a smaller unopposed program that you have to weight for yourself. I wouldn't call it "competition" but if there are less residents in other specialties then I could see where you may have more opportunities for more procedures and possibly a larger role on the team.

Then there's also the argument of maybe not getting the same exposure to pathology at a smaller program that you may get at a larger program with multiple programs and residents in many field. That's certainly valid but I think less important for FP as opposed to if you were doing surgery or ER where you need to train at a higher volume trauma center. For the most part, just about any place will give you the experience in the bread and butter of FP and IM.

I dont understand where competition plays into this, if you are on your Peds month, all you do is Peds. You maybe with peds residents at the same time, but you are getting the same experience. If you are on your OB month, then you are on OB with OB residents. I dont see where competition plays. You are part of the team. Patients are usually given out evenly and fairly to all residents, whether you are a transitional resident with IM residents, or a FM residents with OB residents.

Most places, FP residents will be treated like a 4th year.

On emergent cases, do you really think they are going to play fair and square?

If a really interesting case comes along, you think the FP will get it?

I rotated through a tertiary care center. The FP resident was not able to do ANYTHING while on OB, except round and maybe write notes/see the pt. Deliveries, c/s's, interesting gyn cases, emergent/complicated cases all went to OB residents.

I'm sure it's going to be heavily program specific and vary among them, but I've seen that happen to some degree. While on OB the FP intern was treated more like a 4th yr med student than their own OB intern.

I think there's certainly pros and cons with going to a smaller unopposed program that you have to weight for yourself. I wouldn't call it "competition" but if there are less residents in other specialties then I could see where you may have more opportunities for more procedures and possibly a larger role on the team.

Then there's also the argument of maybe not getting the same exposure to pathology at a smaller program that you may get at a larger program with multiple programs and residents in many field. That's certainly valid but I think less important for FP as opposed to if you were doing surgery or ER where you need to train at a higher volume trauma center. For the most part, just about any place will give you the experience in the bread and butter of FP and IM.

:thumbup:

It may not "competition" in its purest form, but it IS competition.

If you don't know something as an FP attending, most of the time you can get a phone consult and if it is deemed necessary to refer out, you can do that, too.

....If you are on your OB month, then you are on OB with OB residents. I dont see where competition plays. You are part of the team....

You are required to have at least 50 deliveries of your own as a FP resident. You may never get to do any if your hospital has an OB residency because those residents get first crack at all of them. I know of a bunch of FP programs who send their FP residents to some hospital in the styx just to get enough deliveries. When you do surgery you get stuck doing scut all the time, like a med student. When you do ICU you never get to put in lines or intubate because the other residents are doing it. In the ER... same story.

In my experience in two completely different systems, the FM residents have had no interest in putting in lines or intubating in the ICU. One was in a traditional academic unit with FM, IM, and ER residents and one was in a unit ran by one attending with one anesthesia and one FM intern. I was the anesthesia intern, and its not like I was hogging the procedures. We as anesthesia interns run all the codes and put in all the lines overnight in our hospital on call. I would have let the FM resident do all that stuff if he had wanted to.

I would agree. In my experience FM residents on ICU elective are not usually aggressive. They don't seem to want to put in lines, tubes, etc. and all I have worked with so far have requested patients who aren't very sick. If they had wanted to do those things, we would have been happy to let them. But they seem to run away from invasive procedures and critically ill patients.

I haven't seen an organized list, but I don't go there. I can tell you that someone matched allo Plastics which is practically unheard of.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_184231378258364

They made a facebook group. Kind of hard to navigate but everyone posted on the wall. Since the MD match comes after the DO match you'll notice all the oldest posts are DO matches and the newer ones are MD matches. Lots of Peds, Family, and Surgery and 3-4 Pathology

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB's list this year. Solid match per usual. Seems like alot more people doing TRI's this year across the board at all osteopathic schools. That doesnt bode well for the future of our profession but isn't in any way a suprise. Not as though the AOA really cares about the future of our profession anyway.

Attachments

• 2011 Match List No Name 5-2-11 by specialty.XLSX
    27.1 KB · Views: 582
KCUMB's list this year. Solid match per usual. Seems like alot more people doing TRI's this year across the board at all osteopathic schools. That doesnt bode well for the future of our profession but isn't in any way a suprise. Not as though the AOA really cares about the future of our profession anyway.

I downloaded it, but it came out as gibberish for some reason.

This is a somewhat onerous request, but does anyone know where we might find match lists from years past? An an incoming student, I'd like to see how things have changed over the last 4-5 matches and loosely project the next 4-5 years of matches. Of course we have to factor in the rapid growth of classes and the wealth of new schools, but it would be interesting to break down the percentage of students from each school going into which fields over time.

This is a somewhat onerous request, but does anyone know where we might find match lists from years past? An an incoming student, I'd like to see how things have changed over the last 4-5 matches and loosely project the next 4-5 years of matches. Of course we have to factor in the rapid growth of classes and the wealth of new schools, but it would be interesting to break down the percentage of students from each school going into which fields over time.

Search DO match list 2010, DO match list 2009 etc. or school specific like KCUMB match list 2007, DMU match list 2008 etc.

Search DO match list 2010, DO match list 2009 etc. or school specific like KCUMB match list 2007, DMU match list 2008 etc.

Thanks. From a cursory glance, it appears that this will give an incomplete look as far back as 2007. I shall keep searching

Anybody know why there are so many more rotating internships this year when compared to previous years?

Anybody know why there are so many more rotating internships this year when compared to previous years?

I remember JPS saying those 10 TRI's weren't for TRIs. They were for MD Transitionals.

There could be more of the same going on elsewhere...

I think someone f*cked up. Doesn't shock me.

NYCOM gave us all a copy of the list when we picked up our regalia last week. I'm not going to type out info for ~270 graduates but I'll give the overall numbers and then when the list is posted electronically in a few weeks, I'm sure that it will appear here eventually.

Allopathic (including military) PGY-1:
Anesthesiology: 7
Diagnostic Radiology: 1
Emergency Medicine: 11
Family Medicine: 4
General Surgery (cat): 1
General Surgery (prelim): 3
Internal Medicine: 35
Medicine-Pediatrics: 1
Medicine (prelim): 5
Neurology: 3
OB/GYN: 4
OB/GYN (prelim): 1
Pathology: 3
Pediatrics: 20
Peds/Psych/Child Psych: 1
PM&R: 1
Psychiatry: 10
Transitional Year: 3

Osteopathic PGY-1:
Diagnostic Radiology: 2
Emergency Medicine: 15
Family Medicine: 44
Family Medicine-EM: 2
Family Medicine-NMM: 1
General Surgery: 4
Internal Medicine: 11
Neurological Surgery: 1
NMM-OMT: 2
OB/GYN:2
Orthopedic Surgery: 3
Otolaryngology & Facial Plastic Surgery: 2
Pediatrics: 2
Psychiatry: 2

Allopathic PGY-2:
Anesthesiology: 12
Diagnostic Radiology: 4
Neurology: 2
Ophthalmology: 1
PM&R: 8

Proportionately it's still more than most.

Average is 150, my class had 4. I dont know if most end up with 9-10 going anesthesiology per class.... doubt it.

Last edited:
NYCOM gave us all a copy of the list when we picked up our regalia last week. I'm not going to type out info for ~270 graduates but I'll give the overall numbers and then when the list is posted electronically in a few weeks, I'm sure that it will appear here eventually.

Allopathic (including military) PGY-1:
Anesthesiology: 7
Diagnostic Radiology: 1
Emergency Medicine: 11
Family Medicine: 4
General Surgery (cat): 1
General Surgery (prelim): 3
Internal Medicine: 35
Medicine-Pediatrics: 1
Medicine (prelim): 5
Neurology: 3
OB/GYN: 4
OB/GYN (prelim): 1
Pathology: 3
Pediatrics: 20
Peds/Psych/Child Psych: 1
Psychiatry: 10
Transitional Year: 3

Osteopathic PGY-1:
Diagnostic Radiology: 2
Emergency Medicine: 15
Family Medicine: 44
Family Medicine-EM: 2
Family Medicine-NMM: 1
General Surgery: 4
Internal Medicine: 11
Neurological Surgery: 1
NMM-OMT: 2
OB/GYN:2
Orthopedic Surgery: 3
Otolaryngology & Facial Plastic Surgery: 2
Pediatrics: 2
Psychiatry: 2

Allopathic PGY-2:
Anesthesiology: 12
Diagnostic Radiology: 4
Neurology: 2
Ophthalmology: 1
PM&R: 8

:thumbup::thumbup:

AOA
2 - Anesthesiology
1 - Dermatology
5 - Emergency Medicine
3 - Family Medicine
8 - Internal Medicine
1 - Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine
2 - Neurological Surgery
1 - Neurology
1 - Orthopedic Surgery
1 - Pediatrics
1 - Radiology
15 - Traditional Rotating

ACGME
3 - Emergency Medicine
22 - Family Medicine
1 - General Surgery
8 - Internal Medicine
1 - Medicine Preliminary
2 - OBGYN
2 - Pathology
5 - Pediatrics
7 - PMR
4 - Psychiatry
1 - Radiology
1 - Surgery Preliminary
1 - Transitional

MIL
1 - Anesthesiology
1 - Emergency Medicine
2 - Family Medicine
4 - Internal Medicine

AOA
2 - Anesthesiology
1 - Dermatology
5 - Emergency Medicine
3 - Family Medicine
8 - Internal Medicine
1 - Internal Medicine/Emergency Medicine
2 - Neurological Surgery
1 - Neurology
1 - Orthopedic Surgery
1 - Pediatrics
1 - Radiology
15 - Traditional Rotating

ACGME
3 - Emergency Medicine
22 - Family Medicine
1 - General Surgery
8 - Internal Medicine
1 - Medicine Preliminary
2 - OBGYN
2 - Pathology
5 - Pediatrics
7 - PMR
4 - Psychiatry
1 - Radiology
1 - Surgery Preliminary
1 - Transitional

MIL
1 - Anesthesiology
1 - Emergency Medicine
2 - Family Medicine
4 - Internal Medicine

What's with the 15 TRIs?? Dang.

Yea for a class size of just over 100, 15 TRI seems like an insanely high number. Can anyone account for this?

My guess is that every year more and more DO's are confident they can match into a competitive ACGME program (ER, Rad, Anesth..etc) and every year more and more apply with lower scores so they lose out on the AOA programs and have to go transitonal.

My guess is that every year more and more DO's are confident they can match into a competitive ACGME program (ER, Rad, Anesth..etc) and every year more and more apply with lower scores so they lose out on the AOA programs and have to go transitonal.

That's a problem. Not for the AOA, but for the students.

Lack of "match education" seems to be a common theme amongst some (if not most/all) DO schools. I know I didn't receive any knowledge from my school. SDN provided me with whatever I could get. Some faculty at my school were downright convincing me to not forgo the AOA match and to instead apply to FP programs..... :thumbdown:

Could some of those simply be people who matched into a TRI and a residency that requires one?

Could some of those simply be people who matched into a TRI and a residency that requires one?

There were 3 or 4 of those. I just listed them under the specialty and removed them from the TRI tally. The 15 might be people who just didn't match.

I'm finding a lot of big name programs that traditionally don't take DOs in other specialties (i.e. Duke, etc) taking DOs for neurology. Always thought neuro was more competitive at programs like that.... interesting.

Look at all those TRI's. Something is going on for there to be so many people doing TRI's with all these match lists(not just NSU). Next years match is gonna be flooded with reapplicants.

I believe it to be even worse than it seems. I spoke to many seniors this year who had to scramble into all the remaining DO FM or IM programs. One thing kept coming up, that they had only applied to two or three programs and hoped for the best. Some of these people are great applicants with good scores and letters also.
It seems from my small sample size that the people who are the most successful in the match did one of three things,
1. Picked their specialty early in med school. The people who are still trying to figure this out in their 3rd year cant set up away electives at competitive places. Most of the DO EM programs are full a year in advance!
2. Were realistic about their chances. Heard many a story about great applicants who only applied MD and only at big name places. All of them had to scramble into TRI/FM/IM.
3. Applied DO. If you are interested in a competitive specialty this is what you need to do. The only real exceptions are EM and Gas. Last year 1.8% of MD gen surg spots were filled by DOs. less than 2%! The number was less than 1% for ortho, and there was one integrated plastics, no ENT or neurosurg. If you want IM/FM/Peds many doors are still wide open, but will the increase in the shear number of students I doubt it will stay that way.

Im not an expert on what makes a good match list but it looks pretty decent to me. Someone got into the Bascom Palmer Institute for ophthalmology which is amazing i think. Plus 2 ortho, 2 plastic, 1 radiology, 7 Anesthesiology, and 4 neuro. It does seem that more people went into primary care than usual and very few surgery.

I'm still confused why the total number stays low. This list equals 198. How big was the class this year, like 230? Where are those other guys?

I'm still confused why the total number stays low. This list equals 198. How big was the class this year, like 230? Where are those other guys?

I dont think the class was that big that year. Also, there is some shuffling around a bit and they may have had a few dropouts etc'. Class of 2012 had 230, lost a few, then gained some from the last class and some transfer students. We now have 237