2011 PRITE exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wmro1280

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else take it? Thoughts? Anything you wish you had studied more? Anything you thought was unfair or too picky?

(please don't discuss contents of specific questions, in case there are some readers who have not yet taken the exam)

Members don't see this ad.

I've said this before. The PRITE is bull$hit. There's no reason to study for it. The questions on it are not similar to that you'll see on the actual board exam, and IMHO several of the questions are poorly written compared to the board exam.

I recommend you study for the actual board exam in two ways. 1) Study psychiatry in general, learning to become a better psychaitrist, and 2) study for the board written exam, not the PRITE. I will never say don't study psychiatry. We should all do that. Just don't study for the PRITE and an end-unto-itself.

Anyone who's gone through medschool knows that multiple choice tests can test the same exact material but be very different in style depending on the author. There are several USMLE test books out there and they are not in the same manner you'd expect to see on the actual USMLE, despite that they cover the same material.

That's the problem with the PRITE. Several of the questions on it are things that even if it were open-book, with full access to google, you'd still not be able to find some of the answers. Several questions are just flat-out poorly written.

The actual board exam questions IMHO were highly relevant to real clinical practice and a better understanding of real psychiatry.

The PRITE has no relevance in your academic performance other than to have something of a correlation as to how well you will do on the board exam. Again, still no need to study for the PRITE as an entitiy in and of itself when there's material to study for the board exam instead. I know of no fellowship that asks for your PRITE scores, I know no one that gauges you by your PRITE scores after residency, and except for it having some correlation with the board exam, at worst, your program might just mention that to you (unless your program is outside the norm) and tell you to brush up on studying.

Just to given an example. the following was one of the best books I've ever encountered for the board exam.
http://www.amazon.com/Psychiatry-Te...20/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1317830992&sr=8-29

If you read this book, you'll notice it's questions are hardly anything like the PRITE exam. Further, if you get questions wrong, you can actually learn because it explains very well what's going on in the answer key. As for the PRITE, I've seen several questions where I didn't agree with the answer, or thought the reasoning was poor.

Last edited:
I took part 1 of it yesterday (PGY1, with little to no prep, so not a good judge at all). I'll just say I had 2 thoughts after sitting for it: 1) broad in knowledge base tested from my POV and 2) I feel like I want to learn and understand and apply most of what was questioned in due time for the sake of doing so, which made me feel good. 3rd thought - questions seemed more either you know it or not type, didn't feel like challenging multi-step reasoning required on Steps.

$0.02

I value your perspective, whopper, and it feels so much more interesting and natural to approach prep and learning overall this way early in training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my program takes whopper's attitude, so no one really studies much. I'm planning on going over the questions from last year's test (if I can find it) during downtime on nightfloat, but I guess that's it.

I just took it today, and I have to say I find the exam quite unreasonable. There was a surprising amount of psychoanalytic gibberish that is frankly only of historic interest. This was punctuated by various useless trivia from psychopharm on the one hand and neurology on the other. There was very little testing of actual sound clinical judgement and things of that sort, and most of the questions were simple recalls that do not test clinical reasoning skills. It's a much worse exam compared to the USMLE and starkly abhorrent in many instances.

Agree that the exam is abhorrent, but I will say that knowledge of the older meds and forms of psychotherapy IMHO is important.

Why?

When you work in some clinical scenarios, these become important. E.g. I got a guy and the only thing that works on him is Thioxetine, you'll encounter patients where the only thing that works is an older med. In private practice, you'll hardly encounter patients in need of Clozaril, in a long-term facility you'll always have a few patients on it.

As for the psychotherapy, you need to know it if you want to treat longer-term patients for real. In residency training, at least where I did it, residents weren't used to seeing long-term patients. In private practice and long-term facilities, you tend to have the same patient for years. When you've figured out what makes them tick, you're going to start going through several psychotherapy theories as which approach is the best.

While I was a resident, I was measuring success in stabilizing a patient through the use of meds. Once that occurs, several patients have other problems that psychotherapy can help out.

But getting back to the PRITE, I I haven't taken it in the last few years, but I was very disappointed that the PRITEs I did take didn't incorporate some of the then newer theories that are clinically relevant such as neuroprotection in psychotic disorders, and antidepressants having less efficacy than once previous thought. Some questions in the exams I've taken, I didn't understand why the right answer was so, so I looked it up in several sources such as the K&S comprehensive guide, Stahl, and google, and I couldn't find any data to support some of them other than a study with only a few people (e.g. < 25 per group). IMHO that hardly merits a valid question. Perhaps there was better data out there but I didn't see it on a pubmed search.
E.g. there's a question concerning Wellbutrin and it's relationship with REM. Look it up yourself on pubmed. There's a few studes, each of them had less than 25 per group, and the results actually contradicted each other. So how the right answer was that Wellbutrin caused reduction in REM, I don't know why they felt this was valid.

So okay, maybe they know of a study I don't. Why don't they publish the reasoning to their answers? They don't. So for that question, and several others, I question the validity of it, and like I said I found it a waste of time.

Again, study for the board exam, and study psychiatry to make yourself a better psychiatrist. Don't study for the PRITE.

Last edited:
As for the psychotherapy, you need to know it if you want to treat longer-term patients for real. In residency training, at least where I did it, residents weren't used to seeing long-term patients. In private practice and long-term facilities, you tend to have the same patient for years. When you've figured out what makes them tick, you're going to start going through several psychotherapy theories as which approach is the best.

I totally agree. However, some of the questions were literally,

According to Freud, blah blah blah is
(A) Blah
(B) Blah
(C) Blah
(D) Blah

Again, if this was a test on Freud and the HISTORY of psychotherapy, it would've been appropriate.

Are there any good board-review resources for the Psychiatry Board examination or Prite's for that matter, that are in similar vein of what First Aid or step-up was for the USMLE? Kaplan and Sadock seems akin to using a resource like robins pathology to study for step 1/2.

Edit: whopper's recommendation noted. Any additional recommendations appreciated.

The psychodynamic theory questions were fair, and the history of psychiatry is an explicit learning objective somewhere in the Big List of Stuff That's On the Boards or whatever. There are always lots of developmental questions, and most of these were things readily available in a "Freud and Beyond" level text.

Not that I got them all right.

The dynamic questions were more fair than some of the poorly written "Which of the following pills has more red dye in it?" sort of questions or the "What fictional drug interaction am I thinking of if this pt had 3 livers, 9 kidneys, a luvox secreting gland that secretes 300mg per day on Jewish holidays, and just ate a pizza with pistachio cod fish oil."

First Aid I believe did come out with a psychiatry board review book. Double checking....
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...as=stripbooks&sprefix=first+aid+psychiatry+bo

I haven't checked the actual book out though I was always happy with my other First Aid books.

I will tell you this. Avoid the K&S self-exam book. The book has questions that are in no way like that on the board exam and are highly egocentric as to what the authors of that book thought was important. It's as if someone decided to imprint some of their own opinions that were not scientific into some of the questions. It also has questions that are written as if they're testing you on the content of their textbook, not what is actually on the board exam.

E.g. they tell you to memorize terms such as "forme fruste." While the concept of that term does have some importance, no one uses it these days, and it's not on the board exam. Okay fine, but they also tell you to memorize thousands of other terms along the same lines that will not show up on the exam, that no one uses anymore, and the only benefit it'll provide is if you're one of those weirdos like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory that want to say something that no one will know what you're talking about and then smirk because it makes you feel smarter than them....well there you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5KaeCZ_AaY

Last edited:
There was one statistical question on this year's PRITE which anyone who has ever taken an above high school level statistics class can tell you was worded in a totally incorrect way such that answers A) B) C) and D) were all potentially correct.

There was another question where if you looked at it from an internal medicine perspective vs a psychiatric perspective you could make different but equally valid choices (by "valid" I mean equally likely of being correct although the medicine answer is way better patient care in real life.) I couldn't figure out if I should go with the poorer workup but the correct "psych" answer or the medically proper workup for the situation which was more likely to be wrong if a psychiatrist wrote the question.

Who writes this exam, anyway?

http://www.acpsych.org/meetings-and-news/calendar/all/details/25

http://www.acpsych.org/resident-fellowships

Personally, I would drop a lot of my frustration with the PRITE if they actually wrote the reasoning to their answers so I could see WTF (maybe "HTF" would be more gramatically correct) they came up with what they did.

I understand it's not easy to come up with questions that are hard and challenging, but when they don't publish the reasoning to their answers, I can't tell where they were coming from to begin with, so I can't tell if the question was fair or not. When you're sitting with several other residents and NONE of them can figure out why the answer is the way it is---with full access to google and any psychiatry text you can think of, there's something wrong with the question.

And while I didn't have the answer key to the actual board exam, my general feeling with that exam was that the questions were for the most part fair. If I didn't know the answer, I knew why I didn't know the answer, because I didn't remember a needed fact. The answers that I marked that I felt I knew, I was confident I wasn't going get it wrong simply based on the wording because it was clearer as to what they wanted.

Last edited:
sorry for my ignorance, but is the "psychiatry board examination" everyone is referring to the one exam that is taken at the end of the 4 years of psychiatry residency if one wants to be board certified? whereas this PRITE exam being discussed is an unrelated exam that is taken every year by psych residents during training, and has different value/importance depending on the program in which you are?

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry for my ignorance, but is the "psychiatry board examination" everyone is referring to the one exam that is taken at the end of the 4 years of psychiatry residency if one wants to be board certified? whereas this PRITE exam being discussed is an unrelated exam that is taken every year by psych residents during training, and has different value/importance depending on the program in which you are?

Yes and yes. Every specialty has an in-service training exam. In psych it's the PRITE. The purpose is to track improvement and knowledge throughout residency. Residencies can use scores to compete with other residencies. Many questions are often new and poorly written, then thrown out, frustrating test-takers. Therefore it's controversial whether reviewing old PRITE's is useful for studying for the board examination.

Yes and yes. Every specialty has an in-service training exam. In psych it's the PRITE. The purpose is to track improvement and knowledge throughout residency. Residencies can use scores to compete with other residencies. Many questions are often new and poorly written, then thrown out, frustrating test-takers. Therefore it's controversial whether reviewing old PRITE's is useful for studying for the board examination.

Thanks, nitemagi. Besides tracking one's own progress, how do individual residency programs use the PRITE exam? It seems like in some years it can be a poorly made exam. Do some programs use if to hold people back a year during residency if they don't do well enough, or do fellowship programs use it to pick applicants for their fellowship?

Besides Step 3, 4 PRITE exams, and the Licensing Board exams (same as the "certification exam"? is this taken in year 4 or can it be taken after year 4?), what other exams are taken during residency? I have heard something about oral or clinical exams?

Last edited:
Thanks, nitemagi. Besides tracking one's own progress, how do individual residency programs use the PRITE exam? It seems like in some years it can be a poorly made exam. Do some programs use if to hold people back a year during residency if they don't do well enough, or do fellowship programs use it to pick applicants for their fellowship?

Besides Step 3, 4 PRITE exams, and the Licensing Board exams (same as the "certification exam"? is this taken in year 4 or can it be taken after year 4?), what other exams are taken during residency? I have heard something about oral or clinical exams?

Some programs use PRITE's as another independent measure of knowledge deficits (such as a VERY low score in one area gives support to the feedback that this resident that did bad on their neuro rotation needs to study their neuro). As of this year (those that begin residency in 2007 or later), board exams are now written only (computer based with multiple choice and video vignettes that have been tragically flawed). There used to be an oral boards section too, but this has been punted back to residencies to certify their own residents with 3 supervised/evaluated interviews.

There used to be an oral boards section too, but this has been punted back to residencies to certify their own residents with 3 supervised/evaluated interviews.

This is unfortunate. Very unfortunate. I have observed a few "clinical skills evaluations" in my program and, in my opinion, the interviews have been sloppy and the case presentations have been woefully deficient. Nevertheless, because the evaluators want their residents to do well (after all, (1) they're the faculty of the residents being tested and (2) passing Boards scores make the program look good), they've been given passing scores with "suggestions as to what to do differently next time."

If I performed like that on my oral boards, I would have failed, and I would have deserved it.

Would any programs hold you back because of PRITE scores? That seems a little extreme. I've heard of some programs using it to determine who can do nightfloat. Again, my impression at my program is that it's not really used for a whole lot. There's no award for doing great, and there's no penalty for not doing so great. So I guess I don't care that much about the questions.

Personally, I'm anti-PRITE this year, though, because both sessions are in times when I'd normally be asleep since I'm on nightfloat. I had to do one last week on Saturday at 8 am and am doing the second at 1 pm on Friday. Both suck, so I'm sure my performance will actually be worse. Oh well -- last year I got to miss out on an overnight IM call for PRITE, so I guess it all balances out.

I agree that CSVs do seem a little fishy in that I'm guessing pretty much anyone can pass them. I'm glad to be spared the expense, hassle and stress of the formal oral exams, but I agree that they might have had some benefit.

I could potentially see a program using a PRITE score in judging a resident, but I'm sure that resident's overall performance would be seen as much more important than a PRITE. Many faculty I've seen also believe the test is not worth much. For you medstudents and residents, a faculty member is going to think a heck of a lot more of you if you do good work in real practice vs. a PRITE score.

This is unfortunate. Very unfortunate.

As was my opinion until I actually took the real oral board exam. That exam is highly subjective, and a lot of really depends on the person they randomly grab for you to interview. While testers are allegedly told to allow more for room when there's a bad evaluee for the test taker, it's very highly subjective. According to the book Boarding Time, there isn't much data showing the oral board exam actually separates the wheat from the chaff, nor is there any good data as to the validity and reliability of such a highly subjective test that doesn't use standardized evaluees.

By the way, I passed the second time I took it. The first time I took it, I got a guy who pretty much wouldn't talk to me at all. When a guy refuses to talk to you, just how can you give the guy an Axis I diagnosis? If there was a way to pass that, I would've liked to have known because I failed it that time and don't know what could've been done more than what I did.

And factor in that each oral board exam costs the test taker about $1500, and you have to possibly lose a few days at work, possibly pay for an airplane ticket and hotel stay. Altogether, it's not unrealistic to pay literally a few thousand of dollars for an experience that due to the lack of validity and reliability, puts the test taker in an unacceptable range of getting an unfair grade. While many attendings can afford a few thousand dollars, factor in that some attendings had to take this exam multiple times on the over of more than 5, and that such a financial hit for a resident is harder to endure.

That's a heck of a lot of money to pay for an exam that's not been proven to really test what it's supposed to do. I'd go as far as to say the test is on the order if possibly even unethical and fraudulent given the high level of subjectivity and lack of data to prove it's worthwhile. While no one puts a gun to your head to take it, being board-certified is becoming a standard in many areas that is required in order to be on insurance panels and many higher institutions. Most people I know would flip-out if they had a pay thousands for something that wasn't proven to be effective, and if they didn't do it, they could face professional limitations.

Personally, IMHO, the best way they could've handled this was to have standardized test subjects such as patient actors, the patient actors would've been given one of several possible but highly studied scenarios (e.g. depression, anxiety, etc.) and the test takers would have to grade based on an objective scale, not a completely subjective one. This would add validity and reliability to the test. While such an endeavor would be a lot of work to implement, for the amount of money they make you pay, it could've and should've been done. We're talking a process that must draw in millions of dollars a year. A similar process has already been added to the medical student curriculum.

And I'll also add, (in my attempt to be conciliatory) that I've known several oral board examiners and they are nice people who want everyone to pass. But still, the bottom line is despite this, this exam from what I've read from Boarding Time doesn't justify the cost and limitations of not being board-certified. In total, I see the oral board exam as an archaic and outdated measure of someone's psychiatric ability more on the order of a fraternal type of induction ritual than having actual practical value, similar to the philosophy that residents must be psychologically abused because the older generations also were and the current generation enjoys doing it, and it was about time they dropped it. I just happened to be on the unfortunate last few classes that had to take it.

I'd gladly rescind my accusations if someone were to show me some hard data as to validity and reliability to the oral exam.

I have observed a few "clinical skills evaluations" in my program and, in my opinion, the interviews have been sloppy and the case presentations have been woefully deficient. Nevertheless, because the evaluators want their residents to do well (after all, (1) they're the faculty of the residents being tested and (2) passing Boards scores make the program look good), they've been given passing scores with "suggestions as to what to do differently next time."

And I agree with you there, but I'd rather have that than have to pay about $2500 for an exam (including the travel, food, and lodge) that was not fair to begin with. IMHO the better approach is the one I mentioned. Continue an oral exam, make it so that it separates the wheat from the chaff so that those that are board-certified are of a much better standing to be determined of highly quality. I've said this before. Psychiatrists don't know statistics anywhere near as well as psychologists as a whole, and the oral board exam proves it. Psychologists in general would demand far better testing measures.

Last edited:
This is unfortunate. Very unfortunate. I have observed a few "clinical skills evaluations" in my program and, in my opinion, the interviews have been sloppy and the case presentations have been woefully deficient. Nevertheless, because the evaluators want their residents to do well (after all, (1) they're the faculty of the residents being tested and (2) passing Boards scores make the program look good), they've been given passing scores with "suggestions as to what to do differently next time."

If I performed like that on my oral boards, I would have failed, and I would have deserved it.

Is there any real reason to take oral boards? What is really gained from it? How many people failed the exam and could never pass? Are we really doing any favors, or was it a giant bakesale fundraiser?

It seems like a giant waste of time, money, and resources to me. It should be glaringtly obvious to your program if you're not establishing rapport with your patients and not getting thorough interviews, and this should be showing up in your evaluations.

The same thing goes for Step IICS. It should be abolished, as well.

Is there any real reason to take oral boards? What is really gained from it? How many people failed the exam and could never pass? Are we really doing any favors, or was it a giant bakesale fundraiser?

It seems like a giant waste of time, money, and resources to me. It should be glaringtly obvious to your program if you're not establishing rapport with your patients and not getting thorough interviews, and this should be showing up in your evaluations.

The same thing goes for Step IICS. It should be abolished, as well.

The only benefit I would say is the onus for failing someone is on the board rather than the residency. I've unfortunately seen people who should not have been passed, but were because residencies are afraid to fail their own.

Step II CS is more about being fluent in English than anything else. It's a barrier for IMG's.

Step II CS is more about being fluent in English than anything else. It's a barrier for IMG's.

There has to be a way to make sure medical doctors are fluent. While pretty much any oral exam is more subjective than multiple choice, there are plenty of students that can ace exams while hardly being able to hardly communicate in real life interactions with people.

Would any programs hold you back because of PRITE scores? That seems a little extreme. I've heard of some programs using it to determine who can do nightfloat. Again, my impression at my program is that it's not really used for a whole lot. There's no award for doing great, and there's no penalty for not doing so great. So I guess I don't care that much about the questions.

Personally, I'm anti-PRITE this year, though, because both sessions are in times when I'd normally be asleep since I'm on nightfloat. I had to do one last week on Saturday at 8 am and am doing the second at 1 pm on Friday. Both suck, so I'm sure my performance will actually be worse. Oh well -- last year I got to miss out on an overnight IM call for PRITE, so I guess it all balances out.

I agree that CSVs do seem a little fishy in that I'm guessing pretty much anyone can pass them. I'm glad to be spared the expense, hassle and stress of the formal oral exams, but I agree that they might have had some benefit.

My program historically has used the PRITE to divide each class into who is competent and who is a *****, based solely on PRITE score. Doing poorly means you are assigned to PGY3 (our outpatient year) supervisors who are micromanagers and provide little autonomy to those they supervise.

I didn't bother studying for the PRITE. Why study for an exam that can be nearly aced simply because you took time to study old exams? I'm not sure that is really a productive use of my limited time. I do pretty well cilnically, so we'll see what happens when I get my presumably terrible score.

Doing poorly means you are assigned to PGY3 (our outpatient year) supervisors who are micromanagers and provide little autonomy to those they supervise.

Unless they're actually seeing some type of benefit from this I'd discourage the practice if it were happening a program I was in. I've seen hardly any relationship if at all between a good PRITE score and good clinical performance.

But heck, I haven't actually done this, so if there was some type of actual benefit seen, so be it.

By the way, I don't know how much money the PRITE makes. If this exam made very little money then I could understand why the questions are so poor, and no written explanations provided for the answers. It wouldn't be a good reason, but understandable. Quality work requires lots of time and consideration. These things cost money. If these exams made a lot of money, then IMHO this would make things far worse given how poor I believe this exam is.

By the way, I don't know how much money the PRITE makes. If this exam made very little money then I could understand why the questions are so poor, and no written explanations provided for the answers. It wouldn't be a good reason, but understandable. Quality work requires lots of time and consideration. These things cost money.
Agree with whopper. This exam has literally the worst questions I've seen on any standardized test. In med school we used to joke about how poorly the shelf exam was written for one of our subject in 3rd year, as it was a home-grown exam rather than national shelf. But that one looked like art compared to the prite. Ambiguous questions with unclear grammar. Terrible.

I'm also told that (by someone who was only vaguely sure, so this may be myth), that they give us back our PRITE exam with the correct answers and explanations? If this is the case, reviewing it will be helpful. But it would also suggest that they need to write a new test each year. That would explain the poor questions, if they're written ad hoc each year without being vetted, tested, and question-banked.

I never got explanations to the answers I had for the PRITE, so if they are doing that, it's a new thing. When I say explanations, I mean good ones. I've seen some tests where the explanations are to the effect of "The answer is A because it's not B, C, or D." with hardly anything else.

If these exams made a lot of money, then IMHO this would make things far worse given how poor I believe this exam is.

Just wanted to further add, if these things actually made decent money, then I'd go as far as to say that the PRITE is on the order of one of those national defense contractors that charge $50 per roll of toilet paper. There are plenty of things in the culture of medical academics where this type of thing happens, such as the oral board exam for psychiatry that thankfully finally been phased out, but replaced with something that IMHO is not too much better.

Lots of things in medicine are about old-school doctors believing they are entitled profits and pushing residents as if they are indentured servants, while not taking it upon themselves to do the best work they can for their patients. While this is dying, it's not a fast death, and I'm sure several remnants will still exist for decades.

Why study for an exam that can be nearly aced simply because you took time to study old exams?

I remember people here saying study old PRITEs before you take the written board exam. Don't do that. The PRITE questions don't resemble that of the actual written board exam. It's a waste of time.

Unless you happen to be one of those OCD people that happen to pseudo-enjoy getting those board-review test books with questions that don't happen to resemble the real board exam questions. I wouldn't call it enjoyment becuase it's usually done out of some type of OCD type of obsession and compulsion to relieve an anxiety that in reality will yield no true benefit other than the above.

Stick to sources of material that are known to resemble the actual board exam. I already pointed to some of those sources here. As far as the PRITE's concerned, I believe it's garbage packaged into something residents are led to believe actually means something. All this resident fear of doing bad on this exam is The Emporer's New Clothes as far as I'm concerned.

And as for the actual written board exam, I've found it's questions to be decent, and the material to actually be of good clinical relevance. Yes they do have zebras here and there, but many of the questions are based on good material that you will see in real clinical practice. Hey, if I think a test is decent, I'll say it. Besides even if that exam was BS, that's the one you need to worry about for real if you want to be board-certified, not the PRITE.

PRITE does not provide answer explanations - just the correct answer.

That is not entirely true. When one receives their PRITE materials and scores in December, they also receive a booklet that gives the exact page and source for each question (for example K and S page 346, etc). You can then look up the reference to determine the reasoning.

When one receives their PRITE materials and scores in December, they also receive a booklet that gives the exact page and source for each question (for example K and S page 346, etc). You can then look up the reference to determine the reasoning.

If that's the case, and I hope this is, this was not going on when I was a resident. Unless they did give it to people in the program, but not residents, and the faculty never told us about this.

I took PRITE without any prep (I was in Medicine rotation as PGY-1). Except those child Psych questions I think I did well. Let's see how I score. I will post it in December.:p

I took PRITE without any prep (I was in Medicine rotation as PGY-1). Except those child Psych questions I think I did well. Let's see how I score. I will post it in December.:p

If you went to OU for medical school, you might do pretty well. I did well last year thanks to an above average psychiatry curriculum as a med student. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to do worse this year, which is kind of a bummer.

If that's the case, and I hope this is, this was not going on when I was a resident. Unless they did give it to people in the program, but not residents, and the faculty never told us about this.

If this is the case? Hope this is? Am I making this up? It comes in the PRITE envelope. I'm not a patient. I don't have to be questioned. :idea:

I'm not questioning you. Just that I don't get access to a PRITE now because I'm not working in a general psychiatry residency program.
You can have mine if you don't mind the color red...

I think if I got a PRITE right now, I'd either toss it in the recycle bin or burn it. Though I may join a university program as an attending in a few months so I guess should make a habit of seeing if this test is any different now vs. then.

Whopper - you and I were in residency at approximately the same time, and I remember getting a booklet with references for answers. Maybe this was your program?

I dug up through some old PRITEs, some of them had only answers, no references. One had references, though from books most people don't have other than K&S.

If the common practice is to give references that's a good thing.

I don't know if Whopper said it yet, but the PRITE = BULL SHAT!! Worthless exam and not worth the trees killed to print it on.

Although the Child and Adolescent questions seem impossible, as I go on more and more interviews for CAP, I realize that many of the questions were rather "bread and butter" questions that one simply does not get exposed to unless they are at a great, solid (top 25 program?) program. I've learned a ton just by going on interviews, listening to some didactics, and talk to CAP fellows.

One more time. If you want to pass the boards, forget about the PRITE.

I'm just curious what opinions are regarding how some programs deal with PRITE. For instance, what are the thoughts about a program that requires residents to remediate the exam if they score below a certain percentile and, if they fail to do this by a specified deadline, they are placed on program-level probation?

I don't have to remediate, just curious what the general thought about this is.