2011 Residency Director Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BubbaChuck3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know alot of people stressed that the rankings didn't really mean as much as what residency directors across the nation think. So I listed the residency director and peer scores for all the ranked medical schools. They are in order or residency director scores. I also included the peer rankings as well. I ranked the schools by the residency director scores but you can easily rank the schools by the total scores or peer scores if you like. Enjoy.

EDIT: The complete list is now added

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Residency Director Score 2011.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,482
  • Residency Director Score 2011.xls
    39 KB · Views: 1,742
Last edited:
where did you find the residency director scores? i'm curious in a particular institution not listed on there the was listed in last yr's edition.

where did you find the residency director scores? i'm curious in a particular institution not listed on there the was listed in last yr's edition.

All the schools are listed but I had to manually put them in the excel file. I kind of just stopped at 25. I may do say the top 50 later. And I got them from USNEWS.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the schools are listed but I had to manually put them in the excel file. I kind of just stopped at 25. I may do say the top 50 later. And I got them from USNEWS.

o ok thanks. if you get a spare/free moment, would you mind posting the director's score for BU and/or Arizona?

TIA

Even more useless information. Each hospital has multiple residencies, thus multiple program directors. Just because Hospital X is good in IM doesn't mean that it is good in Ortho and so forth.

In the end, base your decisions on cost, location, and family/friends.

I added all the schools to my first post.

For some reason, the file is not working for me. Is there any way you can save it as just an old excel file?
Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, fixed it

Last edited:
Even more useless information. Each hospital has multiple residencies, thus multiple program directors. Just because Hospital X is good in IM doesn't mean that it is good in Ortho and so forth.

I absolutely agree with you. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it. But your point is well taken.

if the sample size is large enough, and i have no idea if it is, then it could be representative tho.

This is how program directors rank the residents the receive from the various schools- ie how clinically strong they think they are. It doesn't matter about specialty because this is the average across specialties.

I would argue that this info is some of the best info available because it tells you exactly how a given school will be regarded.

This is how program directors rank the residents the receive from the various schools- ie how clinically strong they think they are. It doesn't matter about specialty because this is the average across specialties.

I would argue that this info is some of the best info available because it tells you exactly how a given school will be regarded.

I don't think so. Program directors can probably rank schools even if they have no residents who are representatives from certain schools. I didn't read the methodology, but is it given to all program directors? I also remember reading that only 20% fill out the surveys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. Program directors can probably rank schools even if they have no residents who are representatives from certain schools. I didn't read the methodology, but is it given to all program directors? I also remember reading that only 20% fill out the surveys.
Although one could argue 20% would be a large enough sample to get good info from...just saying.

This is still pretty meaningless if not used in context with future career goals. For example, if you really want to do ortho, it would be pretty dumb to not apply to schools that also have highly ranked ortho residencies. You are just going to have better opportunities for yourself than at a highly ranked school whose prestige and NIH funding all comes from its onc. facilities.

Also, if you want to live in the east, residency directors in the east might favor people from JHU and Pitt over UCSF or wash. , for example, because they are more familiar with them, whereas residency directors in the west might do the opposite, so really think about where you want to do your residency, because that might be slightly geographically limited by school. although people do cross over all the time, i'm sure.

We live in a very imperfect world. It would be impossible to have a "perfect" ranking system since so many people value so many different things. With this said, I think the residency director rankings are the best rankings that we currently have.

The file isn't opening for me. I'm running Excel 2003, but I do have the Compatibility Pack so that shouldn't be the problem?

CalBear, what did you do to open it correctly?

The file won't open for me... Can somebody post it in a different format? :)

The file is downloading as a .xlsx.xls for some reason. Delete the .xls part of the extension and you should be set. It is actually a .xlsx file and if excel tries to open it as .xls without conversion, it gets messed up. Make sure your computer is set to show file extensions on folder options.

I changed the file in my original post. I also added another version that should be compatible for people who don't have the new Excel.

hey bubbachuck, could you include the residency director score for Mayo Medical School?

Just thought about it and realized that Mayo doesn't provide enough info to give this score correct?

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it. But your point is well taken.

Of course no system is perfect, but thanks for putting in the time and effort to make this up and then making it available to everyone. I think sometimes people neglect to give proper thanks for hard work, and honestly I wouldn't have had the endurance to go through 90+ schools, but I sure appreciate that you did! :thumbup:

Any info on UIC (University of Illinois - Chicago)? (Or am I completely spacing out and missing it on that list?)

Not that it matters much, but UCSF, Stanford, Penn, and Michigan should have a #5 ranking instead of #4.

Try telling that to a pre-med on SDN.