2011 rol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flash

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here goes...I've seen these types of threads in past. I'm only starting one because I have uncertified and re-certified 3 times today, fiddling with "the middle" all day, and enough is enough. DONE!

Texas A&M-Scott & White
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston
Case Western Reserve Univ/Univ Hosp Case Med Ctr- OH
U Nevada SOM-Reno
U South Florida COM-Tampa
Hartford Hospital-CT (IOL)
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham
Med Coll Georgia-Augusta
U Louisville SOM-KY
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY

:eek:

I'm treating myself to Sushi.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:luck:Congrats!!:luck:
Here goes...I've seen these types of threads in past. I'm only starting one because I have uncertified and re-certified 3 times today, fiddling with "the middle" all day, and enough is enough. DONE!

Texas A&M-Scott & White
U Texas Med Branch-Galveston
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp
Case Western Reserve Univ/Univ Hosp Case Med Ctr- OH
U South Florida COM-Tampa
U Nevada SOM-Reno
Hartford Hospital-CT (IOL)
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham
Med Coll Georgia-Augusta
U Louisville SOM-KY
Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY
Pitt County Mem Hosp/Brody SOM-NC
SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY

:eek:

I'm treating myself to Sushi.

Michigan (+1)
UNC (-1)
Rochester (+1)
Wisconsin (+1)
Pitt/WPIC (-2)
Maryland/Shepp Pratt
Penn
Hopkins
Einstein (PA)
Jefferson

...unfortunately I still need to play around with the order.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow . . . I am REALLY glad to see we're all making different choices in rank-order list even if we interviewed at the same places. I struggled with the ROL and it's good to see that there's not one obvious answer of which places are "better" than others.

Here's mine, but #2 and #3 keep changing places, and whenever I look at real estate or rental costs in Boston I have doubts about #1. Also, the last half of the list has changed order dozens of times, and has a lot to do with cost of living and how much VA time programs have:

Longwood
Yale (or Penn)
Penn (or Yale)
UW-Seattle
Brown
Hopkins
Duke
Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
Emory
UNC-Chapel Hill
Stanford
UCSD
OHSU

In reality, my top rankings have been (and continue) shifting around these past few weeks, so any input would be more than welcome :confused: (particularly regarding OHSU). I loved OHSU (and Portland), but have seen very little written on this program. It's also been my impression that everyone loved Brown and Mt. Sinai and Longwood. I'm guessing they are all competitive.

ohsu
brown
mount sinai (nyc)
harvard longwood
nyu

Wow . . . I am REALLY glad to see we're all making different choices in rank-order list even if we interviewed at the same places. I struggled with the ROL and it's good to see that there's not one obvious answer of which places are "better" than others.

Here's mine, but #2 and #3 keep changing places, and whenever I look at real estate or rental costs in Boston I have doubts about #1. Also, the last half of the list has changed order dozens of times, and has a lot to do with cost of living and how much VA time programs have:

Longwood
Yale (or Penn)
Penn (or Yale)
UW-Seattle
Brown
Hopkins
Duke
Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
Emory
UNC-Chapel Hill
Stanford
UCSD
OHSU

Not trying to hijack this thread, but in adding to it, why did VA time influence your ROL near the bottom? Less diversity of pts or smthg else?

Not trying to hijack this thread, but in adding to it, why did VA time influence your ROL near the bottom? Less diversity of pts or smthg else?

All VA patients have one thing in common: the military. As diverse as they might be otherwise, I do prefer working with civilian populations from all walks of life and career paths. I am very interested in women's issues, too, and while his is changing it is still true that VA psych wards have many more male patients. Also, half of my med school rotations were at a VA, and I would like something different.

In reality, my top rankings have been (and continue) shifting around these past few weeks, so any input would be more than welcome :confused: (particularly regarding OHSU). I loved OHSU (and Portland), but have seen very little written on this program. It's also been my impression that everyone loved Brown and Mt. Sinai and Longwood. I'm guessing they are all competitive.

ohsu
brown
mount sinai (nyc)
harvard longwood
nyu

FYI, if you read the match algorithm, there is absolutely NO benefit to ranking places first that you think you might have a better chance at. If you don't match to your first five programs, you won't have any slimmer chance at program #6 than if you had ranked it #1. I am not saying you should change your order -- after all I have every interest in not competing with you for the same program! -- but competitiveness should NOT factor into your rol.

ohsu
brown
mount sinai (nyc)
harvard longwood
nyu

Also, I want to point out that if you look at the rol 2010 or rol 2009 threads, many more people are posting lists with OHSU at the top than any of your other programs, NYU, Sinai, and Longwood included. Probably SDN is not the most divest community and not at all a random sample, but based on the data available, people who I interviewed at the same programs make really different decisions.

Also, I want to point out that if you look at the rol 2010 or rol 2009 threads, many more people are posting lists with OHSU at the top than any of your other programs, NYU, Sinai, and Longwood included. Probably SDN is not the most divest community and not at all a random sample, but based on the data available, people who I interviewed at the same programs make really different decisions.
Thanks DrBosse: My programs weren't in any particular order, actually, though as you do point out, it does appear to be reverse competitive! :) In many ways, I was hoping to get additional information/advice particularly with OHSU. I ended up posting a separate entry to see what others might be thinking about the program, but it appears most are just checking out the post and choosing not to respond. Many people on the trail expressed concern over their PD leaving and I wanted to see if anyone had any additional commentary on this. Anyway, best of luck to you with the ROL and match!

The follow is subject to change :)

1. Harvard Cambridge
2. UPENN
3. Brown
4. Sinai
5. Columbia
6. Emory
7. Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
8. Einstein (NY)
9. GW
10. Beth Isreal
11. St. Luke's
12. Jefferson

Almost, sort of, kinda finalized list:
1. Yale
2. Montefiore
3. NYU
4. Stony Brook
5. WPIC
6. Hopkins
7. Mt Sinai
8. St Luke's
9. UMD/SP
10. Beth Israel
11. Westchester
12. LIJ
13. Einstein (PA)
14. Jefferson
15. Suny downstate

Members don't see this ad :)
From an outsiders point of view, it seems like applicants from SDN are overachievers!

j/k, but on a serious note, people on this site cannot represent the general population because it seems like everyone interviewed at the top name programs in the country.

From an outsiders point of view, it seems like applicants from SDN are overachievers!

j/k, but on a serious note, people on this site cannot represent the general population because it seems like everyone interviewed at the top name programs in the country.

I always knew this site's frequenters were heavily skewed, but after viewing the past couple years worth of ROLs I've found that it's even more extreme than I had given xredit for. Most every list is coast programs with a few big programs spatterred in land-locked states. Very rarely did you see middle of the road or even 'lower tier programs' on a ROL.

I always knew this site's frequenters were heavily skewed, but after viewing the past couple years worth of ROLs I've found that it's even more extreme than I had given xredit for. Most every list is coast programs with a few big programs spatterred in land-locked states. Very rarely did you see middle of the road or even 'lower tier programs' on a ROL.

I wonder if those folks just are not as gung ho to post their rank lists?

it's probably for the same bias on SDN that makes you think every med student in the country has a 245+ step 1.

Perhaps, but it's interesting to consider when most people aren't gunning for a lot of those programs but a lot of the talk is generalized a bit toward that skew. For instance, all the talk each year about psychiatry being more and more competitive, which toan extent is true by default of increasing graduates, but when the USMLE scores and percentage of non-US graduates matching (both imperfect measures, obviously) fails to show much change it's good to consider that there are still many more people matching into, what would be considered, average programs.

So guess I'm agreeing with you, but I think those people may not post more because they're lurkers rather than they don't feel they fit in, though I could be wrong. I don't know, I'm kind of rambling on my phone in a post-dinner stupor.

"Middle of the road" ROL'er right here, the OP!

I agree that SDNer, in general, seem to be highly competitive applicants...they've earned their shot at the best programs.

Dreadful countdown begins...:oops:

Certify already y'all!

I agree that SDNer, in general, seem to be highly competitive applicants...they've earned their shot at the best programs.

Dreadful countdown begins...:oops:

Certify already y'all!

Being a recent S-SE region psych applicant last year, I think you did a fairly good job with that rank list.

it's probably for the same bias on SDN that makes you think every med student in the country has a 245+ step 1.

Or that 80% of all seniors are in the top half of their class.

Hey, you had a great list, too. My wife and I are wanting to end up in Texas and really like your top two!

1. Vanderbilt
2. U of Washington - Seattle
3. Brown
4. Michigan
5. Northwestern
6. Wisconsin
7. Duke
8. OHSU
9. Harvard Longwood
10. Emory
The rest will be ranked as we'd be happy to land at any one of them, but are listed in no particular order...
Minnesota, Iowa, Creighton/Nebraska, Boston U, MCW

After spending way too much time debating insignificant (when looking at big picture) minutiae, my fiancee and I have settled on a list that is more reflective of our gut feeling of each program. I loved my interview day at Vandy and as I mentioned in my review, Vandy is a perfect fit given my interest in C/L. I'm not from the South and never thought I would say this, but I'm excited about potentially spending the next 4 years in Nashville!

Couples matching requires some give and take, but we were lucky in that we'll be thrilled with any of our top 6 and honestly would be happy wherever the match gods send us. We loved programs 3-6, but ultimately the desire to try something new (ie outside of midwest) pushed those programs down. Primarily we looked at the obvious factors like clinical training, PD, residents, and location, but we also considered cost of living and proximity to family. In the end, our gut feeling drove our list and was an often used tie breaker.

I really loved my experience at Longwood and Boston U, but compared to the other programs on her list, my fiancee wasn't as excited about her Boston options, so...no soup for me. Thems the breaks, but fortunately we had other places we loved just as much! I had a lot of fun interviewing and though it was exhausting at times, I'm glad that we went on so many because I am now 100% content with my list. Couples matching adds a layer of complexity that can be difficult to manage at times, but with some due diligence during the scheduling part of the process and open communication the rest of the way (with each other and with programs) it wasn't nearly as difficult as I had anticipated. I say this knowing full well how lucky I am that she is doing medicine instead of derm or ortho, as this would have been a much different experience.

I'll work on posting more program reviews/reflections when I get a chance, but if anyone has questions about any of the programs on my list or couples matching, please don't hesitate to ask/PM me.

Good luck to everyone else!

I'll change it up a bit and add a few more flavors to the list

MUSC
UAMS
UT Southwestern
U Florida
Brown
Georgetown
UVA
UAB
Louisville

My list seems so different from everyone's

1. Cleveland Clinic

2. Ohio State University

3. University of Virginia

4. Maine Medical Center

5. University of California Irvine

6. University of Arizona

7. University of Arizona/UPHK

8. Loma Linda

9. Virginia Commonwealth University

Well, it's official! I'm happy with my list. Next I'll head over to the Interview Review thread and finish posting my impressions. 3 weeks till Match Day!

1. Yale- St Raphaels
2. Yale- New Haven
3. UColorado
4. UW- Seattle
5. UArizona
6. Case Western
7. UW- Boise
8. UNM
9. UA/UPHK
10. UCSF- Fresno
11. USC
12. UCLA-SFV
13. Banner Health- Phoenix
14. UCincinnati

Our fates are sealed. Good luck y'all! :D

UCSF
MGH/McLean
Stanford
Yale
UWash
Longwood
UNC
UofM

I loved all of these programs...considered each of the top 4 for #1, but my wife's preferences helped me put San Fran and Boston in the top 2. UNC and UofM are both fantastic programs as well, but our desire to experience life outside of a college town bumped these programs down.

At the last minute (8:20pm!) I switched my two and three. went for location/lifestyle over program strength/prestige (with that particular switch). best of luck to all! :luck:
brown
ohsu
mt sinai
u of mich
harvard longwood
yale st raphael
einstein
LIJ
U of Ill Chicago
U Tx SW (Austin)

Our fates are sealed. Good luck y'all! :D

UCSF
MGH/McLean
Stanford
Yale
UWash
Longwood
UNC
UofM

I loved all of these programs...considered each of the top 4 for #1, but my wife's preferences helped me put San Fran and Boston in the top 2. UNC and UofM are both fantastic programs as well, but our desire to experience life outside of a college town bumped these programs down.

I'm really glad to see someone interviewed at Longwood and didn't put it first. I was so excited about it on interview day I was trying to talk myself out of wanting the program because I figured everyone who interviewed there would put it first. :) Very good that we all want something different! For example, I cancelled my interview at UCSF (pressure from husband over lowered quality of life in SF due to high cost and minimal job opportunities for him).

Go Longwood! :D Go Yale! Go Penn! Go UW-Seattle! Go Brown! If I get any of those programs I'm going to be absolutely ecstatic.

At the last minute (8:20pm!) I switched my two and three. went for location/lifestyle over program strength/prestige (with that particular switch). best of luck to all! :luck:
brown
ohsu
mt sinai
u of mich
harvard longwood
yale st raphael
einstein
LIJ
U of Ill Chicago
U Tx SW (Austin)

What led you to submit one Yale rank number and not the other?

Thank you everyone for all your help and constructive comments. Below is my ROL:

1. UCLA NPI
2. Yale
3. UCSD
4. Harvard Longwood
5. Stanford

Best of luck to all of you!

Northwestern
UNC
U of Michigan
U of Wisconsin
WPIC
Georgetown
U of Illinois
Case Western
Rush
GW
U of Chicago
Ohio State

UC Irvine
California Pacific Medical Center
Harbor/UCLA
UCSD
UC Davis
USC
Cedars-Sinai
UCLA/SFV
Loma Linda

This was waaayyy harder than I thought it would be. 1/2 were a toss-up. In the end, it came down to COL, wife's happiness, where I would want to settle.

Well, less than 20 minutes until ROL is due....just enough time left to make a rash decision.

Haha! I actually made a last-minute rash decision and ranked my last choice as #2 to move back home. A difficult decision. Probably an oopsie.

My list seems so different from everyone's
Mine, too. Though we've got two programs in common.

1. Ohio State
2. University of Florida
3. NEOUCOM affiliated hosp
4. University of Nevada - Reno
5. Wright State
6. Case Medical
7. University of South Alabama
8. Maine Medical Center

1. Yale
  2. Longwood
  3. Brown
  4. OHSU
  5. UW
  6. UC Davis
  7. Cambridge
  8. UCSD
  9. Penn

1. UCLA-NPI
2. UW-Seattle
3. UC-Davis
4. UCSD
5. OHSU
6. UChicago
7. Columbia
8. UCSF

Arranged alphabetically, not ROL:

Harbor-UCLA, OHSU, UC Davis, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, University of New Mexico

Fingers crossed for everyone.... I hope you all get your first choice...

You guys have some unbelievable ROLs where it looks like u can't go wrong no matter what, but hope you all get your top picks! On my last surgery overnight call right now, and absolutely can't wait to be in your shoes a year from now (keepin my fingers crossed I can have a ROL half as nice as all of yours)!

1. U of M
2. UNC
3. Indiana
4. Duke
5. MSU (East Lansing, not Kalamazoo)
6. MUSC (Charleston)
7. St. Joseph Mercy (brand new program in Livonia, MI)
8. Henry Ford (Detroit)

1. Pitt/WPIC
2. UNC
3. Northwestern
4. Longwood
5. Maryland
6. Emory
7. Columbia
8. Wash U
9. Hopkins
10. Mayo
11. MUSC
12. Duke
13. Michigan
14. U Wash Seattle
15. OHSU

Had an extremely hard time w the list, and would be happy at any of these places.

Had an extremely hard time w the list, and would be happy at any of these places.
You ain't alone. My ultimate takeaway with this is an amazement at how very good the clinical training looks at almost every program I interviewed at.

Top 8 not in any particular order..

Brown
UIllinois-Chicago
Rush
UMaryland/Sheppard Pratt
Georgetown
Jefferson
Baylor
GWU

Last edited:
I need to stop looking at some of these threads. They are stressing me out. :) Now the lengths of most people's lists is making me wonder if I should have went to some of the other interview invites I received, especially as a Do student..... I wish this was over already! :)

U Michigan
WPIC
WashU
Vanderbilt
Emory
Hopkins
Duke

...but I'd be thrilled to match at any of them. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited: