2011 rol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U Michigan
WPIC
WashU
Vanderbilt
Emory
Hopkins
Duke

...but I'd be thrilled to match at any of them. Good luck to everyone!

Damn, did anyone NOT rank Michigan first? wow.

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, did anyone NOT rank Michigan first? wow.

Is that four of us so far? Michigan deserves a lot of love -- I wouldn't have ranked it #1 if I thought otherwise -- but I really hope this is a statistical anomaly.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like Michigan is this year's OHSU. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't many, many people rank OHSU 1st last year on SDN?

well the question is... did most of those people actually get in... was it just a statistical outlier? (Doctor Bagel to the white courtesy phone...)

/meh... if I don't get #1, I really don't care either way... just tell me where I'm going!

Did you guys who ranked Michigan 1 have much contact with the PD in the last few weeks?

Received a handwritten letter back in January along with an aluminum U of M Health System coffee mug. I replied with an email of interest at the beginning of this month and received an email reply the next day. Good sign? I hope so...

Did you guys who ranked Michigan 1 have much contact with the PD in the last few weeks?

I emailed him to let him know that I completed CS but won't have a score ready by match time. He replied to tell me that it wasn't a problem and that I have a "strong chance" of a match there... whatever that means. No coffee mug though :(

Received a handwritten letter back in January along with an aluminum U of M Health System coffee mug. I replied with an email of interest at the beginning of this month and received an email reply the next day. Good sign? I hope so...

Sounds like a good sign. I didn't get any coffee-mug-type goodies in the mail from the places on my rank list.

Sounds like a good sign. I didn't get any coffee-mug-type goodies in the mail from the places on my rank list.

Me neither. Perhaps they only send them to the top 10 people on their ranklist. Don't worry guys they have 12 spots and from what I've been told by residents they will go down quite a bit on their ranklist to fill all their spots. They have to do this because they typically draw from the same applicant pool that interview at big name East Coast programs and have to compete with them for residents.

1.ohsu
2.longwood
3.upenn
4.upitt
5.johns hopkins
6.dartmouth
7.brown
8.umaryland

good luck everyone!

1. yale
2. brown
3. st luke's roosevelt (nyc)
4. beth israel (nyc)
5. nslij
6. institute of living hartford
7. nymc westchester
8. stonybrook
9. SUNY downstate

(trying to stay in the nyc area obviously, but would of course be happy in new haven or providence if i were to be so lucky) good luck to all and thanks for all the helpful posts

One thing I'm really curious about: nobody else ranked Longwood first. It seems to show up as #4 a lot. If you wouldn't mind sharing . . . why? The program blew me away. Is it because of Boston? Did I miss something majorly negative about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing I'm really curious about: nobody else ranked Longwood first. It seems to show up as #4 a lot. If you wouldn't mind sharing . . . why? The program blew me away. Is it because of Boston? Did I miss something majorly negative about it?

I don't think so Cinnameg. For me, I thought the program was GREAT. The negatives I could think of were moving between clinical sites, the cost of living in Boston and one of my interviewers constantly talked about how hard they work--which was a tiny red flag for me. That being said, if I matched there, I would still be thrilled. Lastly, I would say that the people on student doctor are a small representative group of applicants. I wouldn't take too much away from our ROLs.

have you ever had to listen to someone with a Boston accent? ugh, I'd rather poke my eardrums out with pencils!

The residents work hard there.

-AT.

Yes the residents at Longwood work hard but it's all actually clinically useful work. Wouldn't have done a thing differently in terms of choosing to train there (and thankfully have them choose me).

The residents work hard there.
One thing I've found interesting through this application cycle is the "residents work hard there" thing.

I've noticed that you hear it sometimes and sometimes not about almost all psychiatry programs. But I've heard it said nearly universally about all of the truly top programs. It makes sense, as I can't imagine a program with a particularly light load really producing the best psychiatrists in the country.

Not saying that Longwood is one of the truly top programs or that they work their residents hard, but if they are, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I've noticed that you hear it sometimes and sometimes not about almost all psychiatry programs. But I've heard it said nearly universally about all of the truly top programs. It makes sense, as I can't imagine a program with a particularly light load really producing the best psychiatrists in the country.

Ahhh...You are wise beyond your years :D. Knowing that will make all the difference in the world to your training. It's unfortunate that more med students don't appreciate that when applying. You certainly do NOT want to be overworked and it's sooo important to have a healthy balanced lifestyle; but nothing trains you better then seeing tons of cases. The months I spent in a psych ER seeing literally 100's of patients over that time has been invaluable in my ability to diagnosis and assess patients. It was hard work, but I won't trade it in.

One thing I've found interesting through this application cycle is the "residents work hard there" thing.

Not saying that Longwood is one of the truly top programs or that they work their residents hard, but if they are, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

I agree, except I would also guess that you hear the same about the programs at the very bottom of the barrel (i.e., sweatshops).

-AT.

I agree, except I would also guess that you hear the same about the programs at the very bottom of the barrel (i.e., sweatshops).
That's well worth mentioning. You can be worked hard and smart or just hard.

hey guys!

my rol:

1. Loyola (even though i have received NO responses from them to my emails/etc :(
2. MCW-received an email via eras congratulating me that rank lists are in? i guess they sent it to everyone?
3.wash u
4.uf
5.stoney
6.suny upstate
7.univ of buf
8.wayne
9.univ kansas
10.usf

1. NYMC Westchester
2. SUNY Downstate.

Yeah, that's it. I'm trying to beat the odds over here. I'm an IMG, with decent scores and an awesome step 3, and that's all that I got! I was told by my number 1 that they will rank me high. I sure hope so.....

Good luck to everyone!!!

Yes the residents at Longwood work hard but it's all actually clinically useful work. Wouldn't have done a thing differently in terms of choosing to train there (and thankfully have them choose me).

How hard do they work there? I looked at the call schedule, and it's actually easier than the call schedule at my program.

Just wondering what "hard work" means with these top programs.

How hard do they work there? I looked at the call schedule, and it's actually easier than the call schedule at my program.

I'm pretty sure what residents say to applicants about their programs regarding "hard work" more indicates the culture of the program rather than the actual amount of work they do compared to other programs. OHSU residents, who I perceive as working very hard, with frequent busy calls, seem laid back in attitude and didn't tell me that they felt overworked either during my rotations or on the interview day. On the other hand, residents at Duke and Emory were quick to say things like "there are easier psych residencies out there" and "you will work hard here" during my interview day. Colorado residents also said that their program is "intense." Hopkins residents didn't mention long hours or excessive call on the interview day, even though residents at a nearby program warned me that their med school friends who went to Hopkins felt overworked. Residents at UW-Seattle, the California programs, and the other east coast programs didn't say anything about their programs being difficult. So, who knows? It's kind of like when undergrads ask me about medical schools. I have no idea how hard other medical schools work their students, I've only been a student at one medical school. I perceive myself as being overworked with drudgery at times, bossed around and put down by the occasional bully intern, and kept at the hospital doing nothing (right now is an excellent example) rather than released a little too often, and I do complain about these things . . . but for all I know I'm treated much better than students at other medical schools. So, I tried to take resident comments about their level of "hard work" with that in mind.

From what I hear, they have mellowed the call schedule at Longwood since I was there, but regardless of how frequent the calls are, they are intense. Covering the BIDMC ED as a PGY-2 was non-stop wall-to-wall consults. The proximity to:

1) Various homeless shelters
2) Lots and lots of colleges and univeristies, and
3) The state's DBT group home

made for a never-ending cavalcade of chronic mental illness, alcohol/drug induced shenanigans, and very inventive methods of self injury. Plus, you're covering the floors of a major medical center and you're the first back-up to the resident on the inpatient unit. IMHO those night float months were some of the best training I ever could've hoped for, but it was exhausting.

Hmm, so maybe applicants shouldn't rely on residents statements about working hard because it's possibly more of a reflection of the values of the program/community rather than a reflection of the actual work done. I didn't get the vibe that residents at my program were at a program where people "work hard" (by that, meaning harder than usual), but we do. Of course, we're in the NW, where hard work isn't a big cultural value. Instead, we're all supposed to have time to be mountain climbing, snow boarding or making our own soaps.

Hmm, so maybe applicants shouldn't rely on residents statements about working hard because it's possibly more of a reflection of the values of the program/community rather than a reflection of the actual work done. I didn't get the vibe that residents at my program were at a program where people "work hard" (by that, meaning harder than usual), but we do. Of course, we're in the NW, where hard work isn't a big cultural value. Instead, we're all supposed to have time to be mountain climbing, snow boarding or making our own soaps.

She's not even kidding about making our own soaps. I know people who do this. And it seems every other resident I run into describes him or herself as a triathlete or a marathoner.

Or your own light bulbs? (I just couldn't resist):

http://www.hulu.com/watch/219898/portlandia-artisanal-light-bulbs

Does the plastic surgery department help with making soap?

She's not even kidding about making our own soaps. I know people who do this. And it seems every other resident I run into describes him or herself as a triathlete or a marathoner.

All the medical students here seem to be big runners. I tell myself that's the reason why they rejected me from their medical school. It's about as good as any other reason I can think of.

You know, though, maybe if I start making my own soaps on those postcall days off, I'd be a heck of a lot happier. I need some soothing soap making therapy.

And on another note, here's why working hard here truly sucks. People in places like the NE value hard work, so you can brag about all those hours you're putting in. Here, you work hard, and yet you feel ashamed of yourself for being such a not-cool hard working person. Jeez.

And on another note, here's why working hard here truly sucks. People in places like the NE value hard work, so you can brag about all those hours you're putting in. Here, you work hard, and yet you feel ashamed of yourself for being such a not-cool hard working person. Jeez.

Protestant historical influence + modern crunchie bohemia :D

It is sort of interesting how these things interact. I grew up in a fairly large city in the South in a state on the Atlantic seaboard. The conflict between east coast pace vs. southern pace resulted in much the same feeling.