2011: The most beautiful ---> ugliest Med school campuses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um... have you seen the new Mazurek Medical Education Commons?

You know how I feel about Wayne State, but I'll give them this... they've got a nice new building.

Yes, but you'll spend most of your time in Scott Hall... Which looks like an outdated bomb shelter. Maz IS nice though.

Members don't see this ad.

If you like the old classic architecture but prefer smaller cities, Dartmouth, University of Virginia, and University of Vermont are all quite beautiful. I was really surprised how hard I fell for UVM and Burlington.

University of Washington's med school/health sciences building gets my vote for ugliest. But who cares about facilities, I'll be going there anyways :)

I was waiting for someone to say this. Amazing curriculum, but they don't have much of a selling point when it comes to facilities.

I haven't been there, but I've heard Colorado has a pretty amazing campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMASS is a dump because Worcester is a dump.

I thought NYMC was nice. Surrounded by nature and all.

But there was a lot of geese poop on the paths :laugh:

SLU has a great campus. The surrounding area is a bit sketch though.

If you like the old classic architecture but prefer smaller cities, Dartmouth, University of Virginia, and University of Vermont are all quite beautiful. I was really surprised how hard I fell for UVM and Burlington.

I hate colonial red brick, so I'm afraid that one's a no-go for me.:laugh:

USC's old hospital (don't think they use it anymore) and Bellevue at NYU and Cook County in Chicago are super old and ominous looking, which I actually really liked... Might not be for everyone tho. I'll also throw in a vote for Reagan Hospital at UCLA which was designed by the architect who did the pyramid outside the Louvre, it's so nice that it makes up for the 1000 year old medical school building.

I haven't been there, but I've heard Colorado has a pretty amazing campus.

The city it's in is not nice, but the campus itself is probably the shiniest, newest entire campus in the US. The whole medical campus was just moved to the current, brand new one a few years ago.

I agree with whoever said U of U has a beautiful campus. I got to tour it just a few days ago.

Also, what about OHSU... not anybody can say they ride an aerial tram to school every day.
800px-OHSU_from_South_Waterfront.JPG

20071022_ohsuhood_0544.jpg

Colorado remind me of an undergrad campus

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with whoever said U of U has a beautiful campus. I got to tour it just a few days ago.

Also, what about OHSU... not anybody can say they ride an aerial tram to school every day.
800px-OHSU_from_South_Waterfront.JPG

20071022_ohsuhood_0544.jpg

Sadly this is our view most of the year,,,,:(
OregonRain.JPG

QCkuK.jpg

Taken at the VCU campus. You still think its ugly?
Don't know anything about VCU's campus, but that picture tells us exactly nothing about how the school looks. It is a picture of a street while the leaves are changing....I could probably go into the middle of Detroit, in some of the most dilapidated neighborhoods I can find, and take a similar picture at some point in the year.......

Harvard Medical school obviously, althought if I were to choose medical schools INTERNATIONALLY, i would probably pick University of St. Andrews Medical School, Oxford, Cambridge and Edinburgh Med School. Just my opinion, since I've done so many research with those universities prior to my previous application.

Yeah, I gotta go with U of Utah--the views from the campus are incredible (and there's world-class skiing/snowboarding within minutes). I actually have a friend who used to live uphill from campus and he would ski to class.

Hofstra's campus isn't exactly "beautiful," but it is on the old NY Jets training facility, which is pretty cool.

Don't know anything about VCU's campus, but that picture tells us exactly nothing about how the school looks. It is a picture of a street while the leaves are changing....I could probably go into the middle of Detroit, in some of the most dilapidated neighborhoods I can find, and take a similar picture at some point in the year.......

That's a suburb, unless VCU has its classes on the front porch. Which would be nice!

I don't think VCUs campus is the most beautiful, but it's definitely not ugly. It's very urban in the middle of historic Richmond...

pet-03.jpg

Medical science building...

685px-VCU_Medical_Science_Building_2_by_Jeff_Auth.jpg

M1 Classes Building...

egyptian_building.jpg

main-medcenter.jpg

Yeah, I gotta go with U of Utah--the views from the campus are incredible (and there's world-class skiing/snowboarding within minutes). I actually have a friend who used to live uphill from campus and he would ski to class.

Hofstra's campus isn't exactly "beautiful," but it is on the old NY Jets training facility, which is pretty cool.

The U is pretty sweet view wise. The health sciences complex is uphill from the main campus, etc, but it pretty much blocks its own view. The Huntsman Cancer Center next door has a cafeteria and a chemotherapy clinic with huge floor-to-ceiling windows... you can see across the valley to the lake, and north and south you can probably see a good 20 to 30 miles. Breathtaking.

One block away from the campus

Mayo. nuff said

Mayo definitely has GORGEOUS buildings inside and out. Plus, their gym is absolutely amazing! Even the pool has the same chemical content and concentration of tears so you can open your eyes underwater without the burning sensation. :eek:

Pritzker's buildings aren't all that great, but like Vandy, the nearby undergrad is absolutely gorgeous.
Definitely agreed. Plus, the view of Lake Michigan along that park is extremely nice!

Hopkins has a really pretty campus with the new Armstrong Building that is awesome on the inside. Vanderbilt also has a really nice campus with tons of open green areas to play sports! :thumbup:

Yale was downright depressing.

Wayne State is pretty stark. I don't know if I'd call it ugly, but most hospitals look the same to me these days. Similarly, Oklahoma took a "purely functional" approach. UAMS isn't too much to write home about, but at least everything is new. Louisville is pretty sweet. The med school part of it looks awful, but the hospitals are great.

Mayo definitely has GORGEOUS buildings inside and out. Plus, their gym is absolutely amazing! Even the pool has the same chemical content and concentration of tears so you can open your eyes underwater without the burning sensation. :eek:

Definitely agreed. Plus, the view of Lake Michigan along that park is extremely nice!

Hopkins has a really pretty campus with the new Armstrong Building that is awesome on the inside. Vanderbilt also has a really nice campus with tons of open green areas to play sports! :thumbup:

Yale was downright depressing.

Lol, I entirely agree about Yale. Their main library is amazing though.

Yes.

Joking, never said it's ugly though, I just never really liked the atmosphere around it (I also used to live very nearby).

Yeah, the atmosphere is definitely one thing. But as a whole, I really do like the campus here.

You kind of just have to ignore the homeless...and the hipsters

I've never seen it..but how great can Cooper be? I mean..its in Camden.

Campus itself isn't great, but during the interview we had a beautiful view of Philly across the river.

And the person who said Hopkins is on a nice campus, whaaat?? :confused:

Emory's is pretty gorgeous.

Yale's doesn't quite have the beauty of its undergrad campus.

I'm gonna have to nominate Downstate as one of the ugliest I've been to.

I'm nominating Miami as #1

I went to UM for undergrad and yes - THAT campus is gorgeous. But the med school? Not so much.

As far as ugly schools LSU-NO is pretty bad, though it was my top choice and where I'm headed next year ;)

UIC is hideous. And old. And poorly maintained.

I actually wonder why we even give tours. I would just lock the interviewees in the one nice room, the alumni lounge.

I am going to throw this out here, UMDNJ- Newark Campus, its definitely not the most beautiful campus :rolleyes: /sarcasm

Yale is the only med. school campus I've seen, since I live pretty close to New Haven. New Haven's pretty ugly in general, but some of the old-timey looking stuff is a little cool. (See: Latest Indiana Jones movie. Actually, don't see it. ;))

Yale is the only med. school campus I've seen, since I live pretty close to New Haven. New Haven's pretty ugly in general, but some of the old-timey looking stuff is a little cool. (See: Latest Indiana Jones movie. Actually, don't see it. ;))

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. They should have never brought it back. Or if they did, make it hold true for the series not some alien crap

This thread needs more Emory. The med school building is beautiful.

Vanderbilt's med campus is definitely really high on the list. Everything is basically the same theme, and walking around is aesthetically pleasing.

UM's med campus *does* have some seriously pretty parts and courtyards, although it's in the inner city, and much of it looks the part.

I also wanna throw a quick shout-out to NYU: Bellevue has the nicest entrance/lobby/clinics area ever, for what its worth.

Cooper University Hospital is actually very nice, at least the new Roberts Pavilion building. But as soon as you step outside, you're in downtown ghetto, so...
The exact same thing can be said of Temple. The new building is beautiful. The surrounding part of Philly... not so much.

Ah, I see more users have met nadaba, the Cole of this cycle. :laugh:

And nadaba is actually nice, so you can't hate him out of jealousy :p

This thread makes me sad that I haven't interviewed at any beautiful campuses.

They seriously need to add a "photos" tab to the online MSAR (even if the schools will probably photoshop and selectively photograph their facilities to make their campus look "better.")

No, they really do not need to increase production costs (and thereby price) of the MSAR for something as superfluous as campus prettiness

if it counts as anything, Michigan's got this new cardiovascular center that's quite pleasant to look at. Plus they're remodeling/rebuilding their chilidren's hospital, though I haven't seen it yet

Um... have you seen the new Mazurek Medical Education Commons?

You know how I feel about Wayne State, but I'll give them this... they've got a nice new building.

I found Wayne's Med campus to be pretty nice.

MSU's EL campus is HIDEOUS (the radiology bldg/clinical center/med school is separate from the undergrad campus, which is nice)

Vandy for med and undergrad campus :). No bias at all here ;).

ViewImage.ashx

thumbnail.aspx

med-school-ent2.jpg

^original school of medicine entrance

The med center feels fairly urban though, so if you like a more laid back/nature-y feel I'd say Dartmouth or Stanford. I also thought Emory's undergrad campus was nice, but have only seen pictures of the med campus. UNC and Duke are nice as well, but I would not ever want to live there...

Vandy for med and undergrad campus :). No bias at all here ;).

ViewImage.ashx

thumbnail.aspx

med-school-ent2.jpg

^original school of medicine entrance

The med center feels fairly urban though, so if you like a more laid back/nature-y feel I'd say Dartmouth or Stanford. I also thought Emory's undergrad campus was nice, but have only seen pictures of the med campus. UNC and Duke are nice as well, but I would not ever want to live there...

Another Vandy vote. Mayo had the best interiors and UCSD's new main lecture hall was the most impressive.

Last edited:
I also thought Emory's undergrad campus was nice, but have only seen pictures of the med campus.

The medical education building is really integrated right into the main undergrad campus. I really like how even though it's a new building, that the architecture fits with the rest of the campus.

I'm gonna have to visit Vandy after this thread.

I thought Dartmouth was very beautiful and Emory is too when I was visiting my best friend over the summer.

I've heard a lot about Vandy and I'd love to see!!

-sigh- I am crossing every part of my body for next year.

The medical education building is really integrated right into the main undergrad campus. I really like how even though it's a new building, that the architecture fits with the rest of the campus.

I'm gonna have to visit Vandy after this thread.

I loved Emory for undergrad. I almost regret not going there since it is just as nice and of a similar quality, but the grades aren't as deflated. I still love it here though.

You should definitely visit!

I thought Dartmouth was very beautiful and Emory is too when I was visiting my best friend over the summer.

I've heard a lot about Vandy and I'd love to see!!

-sigh- I am crossing every part of my body for next year.

:luck: