2012-2013 EM Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agree with this guy, although UNCs policy is to interview all rotators which is why is aid he should talk to the PD.

I talked to the PC today (PD wasnt available).

Basically, they did their "away interview" last week, and they didn't realize I was coming to rotate, so they didnt offer me one (or something like that). She seemed to genuinely feel bad for my situation and is going to talk to the PD.

Will this get me an interview, IMO? Probably not.

I'm still going to go on the rotation though. I've never been a spiteful person, and I'm gonna go in with a good spirit.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, they did their "away interview" last week, and they didn't realize I was coming to rotate, so they didnt offer me one (or something like that). She seemed to genuinely feel bad for my situation and is going to talk to the PD.

I'm still going to go on the rotation though. I've never been a spiteful person, and I'm gonna go in with a good spirit.
ask them if there is any way they can fit you in to the "away interviews" they are holding on the Nov. 13th. They were offered the 7th and 13th.

Give them a call. That's just rude to not interview someone who took the time to rotate at a program.

I disagree. This guy's situation aside, if someone rotated and you know there is a 0% chance of being ranked, then don't interview them. That's a couple hundred on a flight, hundred on a hotel, rental car, incidentals and a couple days that you can't schedule an interview somewhere else. I'd much rather have a program reject me and save the time, money and have unreal hope of matching there.

I think this guy's situation is a little different. If someone is on an externship during interview season, throw him/her an interview. If someone is scheduled to rotate, it makes sense to defer a decision until you know them.

Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah you might be able to get in on the one nov 13 or on one of the non interview days. I bet they offer you an interview. Good luck.

I disagree. This guy's situation aside, if someone rotated and you know there is a 0% chance of being ranked, then don't interview them. That's a couple hundred on a flight, hundred on a hotel, rental car, incidentals and a couple days that you can't schedule an interview somewhere else. I'd much rather have a program reject me and save the time, money and have unreal hope of matching there.

I think this guy's situation is a little different. If someone is on an externship during interview season, throw him/her an interview. If someone is scheduled to rotate, it makes sense to defer a decision until you know them.

Just my opinion.

I agree with you. I do live in the same city so the money aspect is not an issue in this case, but I have no desire to go on a token interview when I have no chance of matching there, and I don't want to spend three years in a place that does not value me. I'm okay with not matching there, that's their choice and I'm a big boy. I'm just concerned because I was there in August, still have not seen my grade or evaluation, and they did write me a SLOR.

Just my opinion.

Even better might be the idea of requiring step 1 scores and grades before they accept you for a rotation. I know Denver does this....

5 rejections Friday: UConn, Drexel, Temple, Cooper Health, New Mexico. Had 2 beers and went to sleep.

Summary thus far: 4 interviews, 6 waitlists, 39 rejections.

This blows!!! :beat::wtf:

Eastern Carolina rejection today

Eastern Carolina rejection today

:( I'm sorry. Hang in there. If there is any good news from this season, it is that programs will go deep into their rank lists and you will have a solid shot at the first place you rank!

:( I'm sorry. Hang in there. If there is any good news from this season, it is that programs will go deep into their rank lists and you will have a solid shot at the first place you rank!

A small part of me thinks that some programs are being VERY stingy with interviews and that they might not fill because of the "small group of superstars" who are taking all the interviews.

Probably a ludicrous thought

A small part of me thinks that some programs are being VERY stingy with interviews and that they might not fill because of the "small group of superstars" who are taking all the interviews.

Probably a ludicrous thought

No. Seems pretty reasonable.

Anyone heard from St. Luke's-Roosevelt?

Denver got a rejection today muahaha :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my UVA "waitlist," but the email read more like a rejection than a waitlist. In spite of that, it's the least-bad news I've gotten in almost a month so I'm stayin' positive. Maine's waitlist was much more hopeful-sounding.

EDIT: just got my first interview offer in weeks - it's a good day.

Last edited:
Denver got a rejection today muahaha :p

Power to the people! :D

Really, even though I don't quite have my ideal 10 interviews yet, I don't know if I would take a Denver interview if I got it...

Last edited:
Got my UVA "waitlist," but the email read more like a rejection than a waitlist. In spite of that, it's the least-bad news I've gotten in almost a month so I'm stayin' positive. Maine's waitlist was much more hopeful-sounding.

I got that waitlist email too. But no subsequent offer from anyone - dag!

5 rejections Friday: UConn, Drexel, Temple, Cooper Health, New Mexico. Had 2 beers and went to sleep.

Summary thus far: 4 interviews, 6 waitlists, 39 rejections.

This blows!!! :beat::wtf:

My current summary: 6 interviews, 3 waitlists, 54 rejections

Lol its a rejection. We all got it.

Anyone else got the Lincoln is-this-a-rejection-or-waitlist-email?

I have been lurking around for a while and finally decided to make some contribution. There's no better place to start than here. If you think you had a rough season, here's something to cheer you up. You're better off than me! :thumbup:

I am a non-US IMG who dared to apply for EM this year. My scores are in the range of 240s and passed CS. Some hands on US EM experience. 2 SLORs and 1 EM LOR.

I applied to 84 programs. 0 IVs, 3 waitlists and 38 rejections. I can take rejections, but any interview call now would surprise the hell out of me.

Got this as well, and completely agree. I wonder if anyone got an outright rejection e-mail from them?

I got an actual rejection from UVA.

I have been lurking around for a while and finally decided to make some contribution. There's no better place to start than here. If you think you had a rough season, here's something to cheer you up. You're better off than me! :thumbup:

I am a non-US IMG who dared to apply for EM this year. My scores are in the range of 240s and passed CS. Some hands on US EM experience. 2 SLORs and 1 EM LOR.

I applied to 84 programs. 0 IVs, 3 waitlists and 38 rejections. I can take rejections, but any interview call now would surprise the hell out of me.

I got an actual rejection from UVA.

I feel your pain 6 month experience in North America and board scores above 240 and here I am :p I would say dont worry but things look very grim :S

Can we at least keep updating the list so I can check biweekly and see results, eh?

AZ
Maricopa - invictusmaneo, neerdowell, hypomanics (10/25)

CA
UCSF - hypomanics, 2planker, harold and kumar (10/26), mydocinabox
UCSF Fresno - hypomanics (10/16), Anon212 (11/1)
UCLA/Olive view - hypomanics (10/21) mydocinabox () coralis
Harbor-UCLA - hypomanics (10/17)
USC-LAC - hypomanics, my doc in a box (10/29), coralis, bad virus (10/30), ROSY GOMER
Alameda County/Highland - ROSY GOMER, hypomanics, 2planker, coffeeeandtea (11/1), coralis (11/1)
Kaweah Delta - hypomanics (11/1), coralis (11/1)
UC Davis - hypomanics, sylvanthus (10/30)

CT
Univ of CT - hypomanics (10/10)

DC
Johns Hopkins- crzygirlzepol

FL
USF Health Morsani - hypomanics, Kuba (10/23), RockTheBoat (10/24), coralis
UofF Gainsville - hypomanics (10/23), justin8818 (10/24), coralis
Orlando Health - hypomanics, justin8818 (10/25) , crzygirlzepol

GA
Emory - mydocinabox, hypomaniacs, RockTheBoat, invicusmaneo, justin8818, adizzmfresh (10/24), mediumwhitecoat, crzygirlzepol

IL
Northwestern - neerdowell, hypomanics (10/5)

LA
LSU Shreveport - justin8818 (10/22)
LSU NO - coralis (10/28)
LSU Baton Rouge - coralis (10/29)

MA
Boston Univ - adizzmfresh, hypomanics (10/26)
BIDMC HAEMR - my doc in a box, 2planker (10/29), coralis (10/26), crzygirlzepol

MD
UMEM - neerdowell, my doc in a box, cougarY, So Say We All, hypomanics (10/26), mediumwhitecoat, crzygirlzepol

ME
Maine - mydocinabox

MI
Sinai-Grace - hypomanics (10/16)
Western Michigan - coralis (10/12)
Univ of MI - hypomanics, coralis (11/2)

MN
Regions - hypomanics, Anon212, sylvanthus (11/1), coralis (11/1)
Hennepin EM/IM - hypomanics

MS
Univ of MS - hypomanics (10/22); coralis (10/28)

NC
CMC - RockTheBoat(10/24), coralis

NJ
Cooper - crzygirlzepol (11/9)

NY
Univ of Rochester - hypomanics (10/23)
NYP - Kuba, neerdowell, hypomanics, adizzmfresh(10/25), coralis, mediumwhitecoat, czygrilzepol
SUNY Upstate - hypomanics, coralis
Maimonidies - coralis (11/1)

OH
U of Cincinnati - justin8818 (10/22); coralis

OR
OHSU - hypomanics, Anon212, sylvanthus, Invictusmaneo, ianjustlellis, 2planker (11/1), mydocinabox

PA
UPMC - hypomanics (10/16), neerdowell (10/24), dally1025, coralis
PennState - coralis
Univ of Penn - coralis
Allegheny - coralis

SC
MUSC - DB2013EM, justin 8818, Invictusmaneo (11/1), coralis
USC Palmetto - justin8818 (11/2)

TX
Texas A&M - coralis (11/1)

VA
Eastern Virginia - justin8818 (11/1)

WA
UW - hypomanics, coralis (10/12), mydocinabox, invictusmaneo, adizzmfresh (10/24), neerdowell, dally1025 (10/26)

WI
Med College of Wisconsin - hypomanics

Last edited:
UAB, probably the poorest wording yet.

Yeah agreed, really confusing. "So we looked at your application, and you're not good enough...but hang tight, maybe one of these days we'll contact you and make you tell us how badly you want to go here and how awesome we are, and then MAYBE we'll consider you. But probably not."

What??

aaaaand finally the Penn rejection came in. Expecting, and worded nicely. My first happy rejection.

Got EVMS today. It was entitled "Emergency Medicine Regret".

UPenn, Michigan state and Utah. No Denver, no Virginia... Hmmmmm, guess they wanna make sure I get one everyday until Xmas. Sigh

Getting most of the ones you guys are posting. Recently: UAB, UPenn, Eastern Virginia. No Utah yet - that would definitely be a surprise interview.

Genesys and Geisinger rejections today, apparently it's letter "G" rejection day. No Kansas yet, no denver, no St. Lukes... o_O ... I definitely have no more hopes of any more interviews.. mentally preparing my ROL.

Denver. I'm not upset, but it is poor form to do it the day before a holiday, right?

Dear Applicant,

We would like to take this opportunity to share with you what we are thankful for... we are thankful that there are better applicants than you that we will be interviewing instead of you.

Happy Holidays,
Your Top Choice Residency Program

Genesys and Geisinger rejections today, apparently it's letter "G" rejection day. No Kansas yet, no denver, no St. Lukes... o_O ... I definitely have no more hopes of any more interviews.. mentally preparing my ROL.
I got Genesys too. After 12 days of being on the "waitlist." Not sure what the purpose of a waitlist is if you are gonna get denied so shortly after. Oh well, got an invite to Rochester the same day so the day wasn't all bad news

Indiana rejection...I was expecting it, but this one stings.

I'm still waiting for the following rejections:
yale, brigham womens, tampa (wtf?), dartmouth, wake (wtf?), UPenn, Brown, dallas, UC irvine, stanford, UAB (wtf?)
Actually looking forward to the rejections so I can stop wondering. It's obvious that I'm not in their top stack of applicants so I'm not exactly enthused about their programs in return.

What programs are you guys waiting on?

At this point I feel like what's the point of a rejection. It's almost December, I am assuming that if I haven't heard yet, it's a silent no. At least that's how I felt when I saw CMC's in my inbox.

I'm still waiting for the following rejections:
yale, brigham womens, tampa (wtf?), dartmouth, wake (wtf?), UPenn, Brown, dallas, UC irvine, stanford, UAB (wtf?)
Actually looking forward to the rejections so I can stop wondering. It's obvious that I'm not in their top stack of applicants so I'm not exactly enthused about their programs in return.

What programs are you guys waiting on?

I actually called a couple programs yesterday, and expedited a few rejections.

I like closure.

At this point I feel like what's the point of a rejection. It's almost December, I am assuming that if I haven't heard yet, it's a silent no. At least that's how I felt when I saw CMC's in my inbox.

I'd rather they man-up (or lady-up) and give me a legitimate NO. Those wishywashy pansies.