2012-2013 EM Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At this point Im discouraged
Step1 240
Step2 252
Step 2CS passed
Ranked 1st in my class
6 months of away rotations

2 aways in EM - 2 SLORS
1 neuro LOR
1 regular em LOR

1 interview (where I rotated)... 14 rejections

my rejections: UMNDJ, U of Washington, SFU, Emory, Mayo, Case Western, University of Michigan, Boston U, Tufts, Oregon, Allegheny, UT Huston and SUNY upstate
(In no particular order)

I applied to 38, think it is to late to increase that number/ would it even help??

oh man, that's a painful statistic to look at. If you aren't getting interviews, who is? It is too late to apply to more programs, most have the November 1st deadline and as other posters have said, most of the interview dates are filled. As an FMG, I guess I feel pretty good about my 1 interview in EM and should probably not expect any more. Good luck man, I hope they start rolling in for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Step1 240
Step2 252
Step 2CS passed
Ranked 1st in my class

2 aways in EM - 2 SLORS
1 neuro LOR
1 regular em LOR

my rejections: UMNDJ, U of Washington, SFU, Emory, Mayo, Case Western, University of Michigan, Boston U, Tufts, Oregon, Allegheny, UT Huston and SUNY upstate
(In no particular order)

I applied to 38, think it is to late to increase that number/ would it even help??

Caribbean applicant?

This year's application cycle is truly absurd. As far as I can tell, no one has a good handle on why certain applicants are getting interviews and others are not. Best of luck to ya.

Step1 240
Step2 252
Step 2CS passed
Ranked 1st in my class

2 aways in EM - 2 SLORS
1 neuro LOR
1 regular em LOR

(In no particular order)

This doesn't make sense at all. Are you a US student?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually Grad from a European school :S I did not think things would look so awful for me at this stage in the game. I know all my LORs are solid and this is seriously giving me anxiety! I guess I should have known better and I should have had a back up :S

Last edited:
Yeah those stats are very similar to mine. This year is rough I think even for us so for any IMG or FMG it must be even more difficult.

Yeah, there you go. While I'd expect you to have a few more interviews with your stats (depending on where you applied of course), most of the IMGs applying to EM that I've spoken to this year were pretty much pan-applying.

Everyone pan-applied this year.

Yeah, there you go. While I'd expect you to have a few more interviews with your stats (depending on where you applied of course), most of the IMGs applying to EM that I've spoken to this year were pretty much pan-applying.

do you recommend contacting programs?? friendly emails??

Actually Grad from a European school :S I did not think things would look so awful for me at this stage in the game. I know all my LORs are solid and this is seriously giving me anxiety! I guess I should have known better and I should have had a back up :S

I am in the same boat lemonsandlimes. European grad IMG here too. Step1&2 230s. 1 US rotation, 2 SLORs( I assume they are solid). Applied around 70 programs( including ones that hired IMGs before), +20 rejections, 1 waitlist(Wisconsin), still no interviews. I knew this process was going to be hard, but now I think it's plain cruel. Lost almost all of my hope, wishing that things will turn around by the end of november :(

another rej at a program i was considering decently high.

So far this week, 1 offer from a top interest program, 1 rej from a basically no interest prog, and 1 rej from a 2nd tier interest program. Ill take it haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopkins rejection. Well, good morning to me.

Tennessee rejection. Though i did get a call from arizona wanting to set up an interview date. First time ive had a personal phone call and not an email so that is pretty cool.

I am in the same boat lemonsandlimes. European grad IMG here too. Step1&2 230s. 1 US rotation, 2 SLORs( I assume they are solid). Applied around 70 programs( including ones that hired IMGs before), +20 rejections, 1 waitlist(Wisconsin), still no interviews. I knew this process was going to be hard, but now I think it's plain cruel. Lost almost all of my hope, wishing that things will turn around by the end of november :(

I sure hope so, both for your sake and mine! Have you tried emailing anyone?

I sure hope so, both for your sake and mine! Have you tried emailing anyone?

Nope, I only emailed the program which I rotated at, got a generic "we are still reviewing" kind of email. But I agree with others,it couldn't hurt.

Vanderbilt rejection today. At least I broke my 2 week dry spell of news from programs.

Step1 240
Step2 252
Step 2CS passed
Ranked 1st in my class

2 aways in EM - 2 SLORS
1 neuro LOR
1 regular em LOR

(In no particular order)

And you're at a US MD medical school? Might want to broaden the tier of school that you are applying to if that's the case. Also make sure someone in your department looks at your letters. Makes me think there's a red flag somewhere that you may not know about.

Everyone I know with stats that are similar to yours are sitting on 15 interviews.

Vanderbilt rejection today. At least I broke my 2 week dry spell of news from programs.

I received one of those as well even though I've had an interview set up for weeks now. Apparently some went out in error...

I received one of those as well even though I've had an interview set up for weeks now. Apparently some went out in error...

Yep, got one of these too with the same situation.... confused me. maybe they meant to send interview details?

Vandy reject here as well. Hadn't heard anything from them so I'm taking it as the real thing. Good thing I have a solid list of invites so far or these rejections would hurt more!

Yeah when I saw I was rejected from Vandy when I already have an interview scheduled with them... I LOL'ed. I've embraced the suck, it seems. Luckily I also got the "nevermind, you're cool" email afterward. Coming up on 3 weeks without a single invite. Sitting on 7 interviews. Considering a second bolus of 4-8 apps in the next few days if they don't start rolling in.

Yeah when I saw I was rejected from Vandy when I already have an interview scheduled with them... I LOL'ed. I've embraced the suck, it seems. Luckily I also got the "nevermind, you're cool" email afterward. Coming up on 3 weeks without a single invite. Sitting on 7 interviews. Considering a second bolus of 4-8 apps in the next few days if they don't start rolling in.

I would be very cautious about additional apps. On some websites it looks like they say explicitly they won't take apps after November 1st. Even if it's not said, I would would assume a lot of programs are hesitant to review new apps at this stage. I would consult with someone in your department before proceeding. There are still a lot of people that will be dropping multiple interviews.

Rejection from Vanderbilt and Baylor today. Vanderbilt I was expecting at this point, but I'm miffed at the Baylor rejection, I did an away there and got nothing but positive comments. Now I'm freaked out about some red flag on my app, or some kind of negative comments on the SLOR I got from there.

Spoke too soon... UNC rejection today as well

UNC and Vandy rejection. Scheduled to rotate at UNC in a week. Ummmm, what do I do? Any help anyone?

UNC and Vandy rejection. Scheduled to rotate at UNC in a week. Ummmm, what do I do? Any help anyone?
Call Kevin Biese. He would probably be ok with you canceling or give you an interview, one or the other.

Call Kevin Biese. He would probably be ok with you canceling or give you an interview, one or the other.

So don't even fool with the PC, just go right to the PD? At this point, I have nothing to lose ha.

So don't even fool with the PC, just go right to the PD? At this point, I have nothing to lose ha.
yeah, with your away rotation and everything I would. That would be miserable to be rotating at a place you are already rejected at. Worthless for you and them.

If the purpose of the away was to help secure an interview, then I'd call and see if they'll un-reject you. Otherwise drop and do something more useful with your time, like interviews at the places you got interviews at.

If the purpose was to get experience at another hospital system and learn how to be a better doc, then keep it, and have a laid-back rotation not caring about what they think of you.

I set myself up for a similar situation doing an away at a competitive school in January - but luckily I got my interview.

If the purpose of the away was to help secure an interview, then I'd call and see if they'll un-reject you. Otherwise drop and do something more useful with your time, like interviews at the places you got interviews at.

If the purpose was to get experience at another hospital system and learn how to be a better doc, then keep it, and have a laid-back rotation not caring about what they think of you.

I set myself up for a similar situation doing an away at a competitive school in January - but luckily I got my interview.

I mean, I thought it was mutually understood that we do Aways to get interviews, and they host us to give us a "month long job interview."

I'm all for a good experience though.

yeah, with your away rotation and everything I would. That would be miserable to be rotating at a place you are already rejected at. Worthless for you and them.

It's not worthless for you to do an away rotation and not get an interview. While it does suck for this to happen, you will still get to see a great program, meet some great people, and hopefully see how another ED/program is ran so that you can figure out what you want in your own residency program.

This happens more often than you think. I met a girl this week that received her rejection letter to CMC on the day that she started her rotation.

To be honest I would rather them not lead me with false illusions that I had a chance to match there when I really didn't.

This happens more often than you think. I met a girl this week that received her rejection letter to CMC on the day that she started her rotation.

To be honest I would rather them not lead me with false illusions that I had a chance to match there when I really didn't.

Except, I would wonder about my SLOR if I was in this position. Especially if it was an earlier rotation.

Except, I would wonder about my SLOR if I was in this position. Especially if it was an earlier rotation.

I wouldn't. Interview invites are a numbers game + the selection committee's feel for your application. Not getting an interview shouldn't have any affect on a faculty members ability to write you a SLOR letter. During the interview there it appears that we are assigned scores in 8-10 categories, which I assume yields a final score for our application. I bet interview offers are based off of this score.

UCSF-SFGH rejection, a little bummed, but happy I don't need to rearrange stuff.

It's not worthless for you to do an away rotation and not get an interview. While it does suck for this to happen, you will still get to see a great program, meet some great people, and hopefully see how another ED/program is ran so that you can figure out what you want in your own residency program.

ehh, while its nice to see another program, at this point in the game, spending the time, money, and effort to go to a place the declines on the first day seems a little bit worthless to me. If I were her I probably would have spoken with the PD, and likely canceled the rotation right then if an interview wasn't even a possibility. Of course I would just make sure to do it as politically as possible so as not to offend anyone big time, but I bet they would understand to some degree. Sure, maybe you took a spot from another student, but that month truly is a complete waste of time in my eyes and they should not offer an interview to anyone who they don't think has a chance to match there. A worth while SLOR is a low possibly from someone who doesn't like you from the get go....

A more common situation, which CMC is notorious for, is not offering interviews to students who rotate through AFTER the rotation. I think this is perfectly acceptable..... the month serves as an extended interview, so if they don't think your a fit, don't waste either parties time with an interview for sure.

Just my thoughts. If I were the guy/girl above who got the UNC decline a week out, I would most definitely, without a doubt cancel the rotation no questions asked, and wouldn't feel like much explanation was really warranted to be honest.

ehh, while its nice to see another program, at this point in the game, spending the time, money, and effort to go to a place the declines on the first day seems a little bit worthless to me. If I were her I probably would have spoken with the PD, and likely canceled the rotation right then if an interview wasn't even a possibility. Of course I would just make sure to do it as politically as possible so as not to offend anyone big time, but I bet they would understand to some degree. Sure, maybe you took a spot from another student, but that month truly is a complete waste of time in my eyes and they should not offer an interview to anyone who they don't think has a chance to match there. A worth while SLOR is a low possibly from someone who doesn't like you from the get go....

A more common situation, which CMC is notorious for, is not offering interviews to students who rotate through AFTER the rotation. I think this is perfectly acceptable..... the month serves as an extended interview, so if they don't think your a fit, don't waste either parties time with an interview for sure.

Just my thoughts. If I were the guy/girl above who got the UNC decline a week out, I would most definitely, without a doubt cancel the rotation no questions asked, and wouldn't feel like much explanation was really warranted to be honest.
agree with this guy, although UNCs policy is to interview all rotators which is why is aid he should talk to the PD.

Vanderbilt I was expecting at this point, but I'm miffed at the Baylor rejection, I did an away there and got nothing but positive comments. Now I'm freaked out about some red flag on my app, or some kind of negative comments on the SLOR I got from there.

Give them a call. That's just rude to not interview someone who took the time to rotate at a program.