2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Travel: Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances

2. Fun and Diversion: Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

3.Miscellaneous: Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or adviser would not normally learn about you.

4 Parents: For both mother and father, give the following:
• Where they were raised
• 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
• Traits you get from him/her
• Your rapport with him/her
• His/her hobbies or interests

5. Siblings: Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

6. Practice Vision: In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not enough ECs?

They did not like my letters of recommendation for some reason (completely out of my control despite the fact that all those who wrote for me loved me). I also think I did not have enough medical exposure.

HI Everyone. Just wanted to introduced myself. I am going to be a MS3 (!!) at FSUCOM this upcoming school year. If anyone have any questions I can tried to help out but my application cycle was 3 years ago so I dont really know too much about that but anything FSUCOM related I can answer.

I am studying for Step 1 right now so a bit :scared: but I will be around here.

But GOOD LUCK to everyone this cycle. Remember to get things in early like LORs, AMCAS, transcript(s), MCAT.

And if you really love FSU or FSUCOM, check out the early decision. A lot of FSU undergrads take advantage of this every year!!

I will be applying here.I am instate and I have a few friend that will be M1s this year. I am hoping that some time in a SMP will boast my chances for my instate schools plus I will have tons of new information to update the programs with so I am hoping for the best. I am still waiting to here back from 3 out of 4 SMPs I applied to so I can have something to put on the primary about it and I am waitlisted at Cinni for their Masters in physiology program so I know either way I would be hereing back from med schools until very late in the season.... Long wait ahead...

So does FSU allow for updates during the app cycle or do you have to wait until after the interview?

So does FSU allow for updates during the app cycle or do you have to wait until after the interview?

You can send them update letters throughout the year. I sent mine around January, with Fall updates.

I will be applying here.I am instate and I have a few friend that will be M1s this year. I am hoping that some time in a SMP will boast my chances for my instate schools plus I will have tons of new information to update the programs with so I am hoping for the best. I am still waiting to here back from 3 out of 4 SMPs I applied to so I can have something to put on the primary about it and I am waitlisted at Cinni for their Masters in physiology program so I know either way I would be hereing back from med schools until very late in the season.... Long wait ahead...

If you got the GPA and do well on the MCAT (all of this is assuming), you will have a chance without going to gradschool. I had a decent Science GPA so I didnt go gradschool. Instead I did post-bac classes to keep me mentally ready. Plus it was A LOT cheaper then gradschool credit hours.
I know someone that quit gradschool once that person got multiple acceptances to MD schools.

First off Best wishes for a successful application cycle from a Jacksonville native and yes you are correct Jacksonville is a suburb of South Georgia.
Do you really think an SMP is your only chance ? Could you not do some more undergrad upper level science classes? I know doing classes at UNF is almost impossible because they do not offer many and what they do are filled way before term starts. But have you consider Florida State College? I contacted all the state Medical schools and they all said they would take the classes.

First off Best wishes for a successful application cycle from a Jacksonville native and yes you are correct Jacksonville is a suburb of South Georgia.
Do you really think an SMP is your only chance ? Could you not do some more undergrad upper level science classes? I know doing classes at UNF is almost impossible because they do not offer many and what they do are filled way before term starts. But have you consider Florida State College? I contacted all the state Medical schools and they all said they would take the classes.

An SMP is the only way I am going to prove myself. I have well over 250 credit hours and I can tell you this after adding two years trying to get my grades up they did not move very much. As a UNF graduate I need to reach out and SMPs are the best way I can do that and improve my app.

HI Everyone. Just wanted to introduced myself. I am going to be a MS3 (!!) at FSUCOM this upcoming school year. If anyone have any questions I can tried to help out but my application cycle was 3 years ago so I dont really know too much about that but anything FSUCOM related I can answer.

But GOOD LUCK to everyone this cycle. Remember to get things in early like LORs, AMCAS, transcript(s), MCAT.

And if you really love FSU or FSUCOM, check out the early decision. A lot of FSU undergrads take advantage of this every year!!

EDP at FSU was a no-brainer for me :D Love this place - can't keep me away!

An SMP is the only way I am going to prove myself. I have well over 250 credit hours and I can tell you this after adding two years trying to get my grades up they did not move very much. As a UNF graduate I need to reach out and SMPs are the best way I can do that and improve my app.
My son is a UNF grad and he also has a ridiculous number of credit hours (286) he has a 3.29 overall
GPA. When he finished the first time I think he had a 3.15 and he did an additional 90 hours with a 3.60 I used an online GPA calculator and he would have to take 120 credit hours to get a 3.5.
So you are right it would be futile to take more classes
It is surprising how hard it is to raise your GPA and how easy it is to lower it.
I hope you get some good news very soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
My son is a UNF grad and he also has a ridiculous number of credit hours (286) he has a 3.29 overall
GPA. When he finished the first time I think he had a 3.15 and he did an additional 90 hours with a 3.60 I used an online GPA calculator and he would have to take 120 credit hours to get a 3.5.
So you are right it would be futile to take more classes
It is surprising how hard it is to raise your GPA and how easy it is to lower it.
I hope you get some good news very soon.

Yeah good news would be great. I would really like to put some thing on my primary about my SMP program. UNF really makes it hard to even complete a BS degree on time without having to side track. I have a good feeling about this app cycle so I think I will be happy with the results.

I am an MS4 at FSU (as many of you may know). I will do my best to answer any questions you have. My strengths are in the clinical side of things since they have done so many adjustments with the curriculum.

Hopefully, I will be able to fill you in on what the residency interview experience is like coming from FSU and how I am received at various programs. I'm going into a non-primary care field, so it may be a little different.

Get back to studying.....

Said the kettle...
;)

I am an MS4 at FSU (as many of you may know). I will do my best to answer any questions you have. My strengths are in the clinical side of things since they have done so many adjustments with the curriculum.

Hopefully, I will be able to fill you in on what the residency interview experience is like coming from FSU and how I am received at various programs. I'm going into a non-primary care field, so it may be a little different.

Hi there! My question is in regards to admissions at FSU vs. UCF. I am a UCF grad and I see that the average GPA and MCAT scores for accepted students at UCF is > FSU, and am not understanding this since one would think that since UCF is a brand new school, their averages would be a bit lower. What gives? Is FSU really an easier school to gain acceptance to vs. UCF?

Hi there! My question is in regards to admissions at FSU vs. UCF. I am a UCF grad and I see that the average GPA and MCAT scores for accepted students at UCF is > FSU, and am not understanding this since one would think that since UCF is a brand new school, their averages would be a bit lower. What gives? Is FSU really an easier school to gain acceptance to vs. UCF?

This is just a guess:

UCF did something clever when they started. They offered 100% scholarships to all students for all four years to their first class. Obviously, they got the cream of the crop for their first class. My suspicion is that this will quickly trend down to the range of your average newish med school, if it hasn't already.

FSU historically doesn't take students with exceptionally high mcat scores....they tend to care about other characteristics more than just grades and mcat if they think that it will lead to their students going into rural medicine/primary care. My personal feelings on this matter aside, it isn't necessarily easier or harder to get into one of the other - FSU definitely uses a different rubric

Said the kettle...
;)

Yea yea yea. Step 2 is a different beast and you know it. Plus I went balls to the wall studying earlier this week. I think I'm ready.

Go back to your dark, computer-filled room, lol.

I'd like to remind you of your study room in Tallahassee.

Besides, I am going to stick needles and thread wires through people in a week.

I wish good luck to everyone in this cycle. FSUCOM is my first choice.

Hey guys! I'm a reapplicant, apply EDP to FSU! I'm super excited about this round and feel it will go better than this past application process. I was on hold from October until two weeks ago haha....so that should bode well for an EDP applicant right?

Hey guys! I'm a reapplicant, apply EDP to FSU! I'm super excited about this round and feel it will go better than this past application process. I was on hold from October until two weeks ago haha....so that should bode well for an EDP applicant right?

Why not just apply regular decision ?

Because FSU is my top choice and I want the best possible chance of getting in to that school :)

How to apply to early admission in AMCAS? I cannot see an option to choose?

Program * Regular M.D. You may need prior permission from the medical school to select any of the following program types:

• Deferred/Delayed Matriculant
  • Early Assurance
  • Combined Bachelors/Medical Degree
  • Other Special Program

Because FSU is my top choice and I want the best possible chance of getting in to that school :)

I don't want to dissuade you from doing early decision, but most of the EDP pathways gravitate towards the better applicants and doesn't necessarily increase your chance. I don't know what the numbers are for FSUCOM, but something to keep in mind. It is a gamble because your app gets released so late for other schools if rejected.

If you have no aversion to DO schools, you can apply to those at the same time to stack the deck in your favor....or so I hear.

Come on people....I want to have at least 1100 posts in this thread, with minimal padding and bumps from me.

I'm not really interested in DO. And I feel that I am a strong applicant for FSU because I fit their mission statement like a glove. My GPA and MCAT score are okay, not great. But I am applying to SMPs this year as a backup. I didn't even know they existed until about 3 months ago.

...And I feel that I am a strong applicant for FSU because I fit their mission statement like a glove. My GPA and MCAT score are okay, not great...
Even matching the chirality... it must be "R" ;)... I'm rooting for you man!

Last edited:
i'm not really interested in do. And i feel that i am a strong applicant for fsu because i fit their mission statement like a glove. My gpa and mcat score are okay, not great. But i am applying to smps this year as a backup. I didn't even know they existed until about 3 months ago.

"smp"??

I'm primarily interested in emergency medicine and possibly internal medicine... will I get grilled at FSU for this?

Even matching the chirality... it must be "R" ;)... I'm rooting for you man!

LOL you said S at first! haha (pst, I'm a chemist) but it would only be R if it were clockwise....i'm confused by your statement!! :p haha but I hope you have great luck too!

LOL you said S at first! haha (pst, I'm a chemist) but it would only be R if it were clockwise....i'm confused by your statement!! :p haha but I hope you have great luck too!
Confuse not, it was a wish for good luck..

How to apply to early admission in AMCAS? I cannot see an option to choose?

Program * Regular M.D. You may need prior permission from the medical school to select any of the following program types:

• Deferred/Delayed Matriculant
  • Early Assurance
  • Combined Bachelors/Medical Degree
  • Other Special Program
No one to answer? Is there an EDP applicant to respond?

FSU is one of the top medical schools for family medicine, therefore they tend to take students with lower MCAT's to increase the likelihood of producing more family medicine physicians, often they turn down applicants because their MCAT scores are too high.

They did not like my letters of recommendation for some reason (completely out of my control despite the fact that all those who wrote for me loved me). I also think I did not have enough medical exposure.

How did you find out that they didn't like your LORs?

You can contact the Admissions Office and they will give you feed back on how you can improve your application. They just ask you wait until after June 14th.

Have you considered retaking the MCAT?

Last edited:
Honestly, I am going to retake the MCAT only if they say I need to. I don't want to waste my energy if I don't have to.

Sorry, meant to say "do NOT need prior permission"
But, I cannot see an EDP option available in my AMCAS application for FSU.
It only tells that I need prior permission.
Were you able to choose EDP without permission?

But, I cannot see an EDP option available in my AMCAS application for FSU.
It only tells that I need prior permission.
Were you able to choose EDP without permission?

Are you trying to apply to other schools? If so, it won't allow you to choose EDP. But yes, I was able to select EDP without permission

I'm an MS-1 at FSU happy to answer questions about the admissions process and school (assuming I know the answer).

I'm an MS-1 at FSU happy to answer questions about the admissions process and school (assuming I know the answer).
When does class start? Is it June or August I saw where orientation is in June, White Coat ceremony is in August

Classes start in June. Orientation is at the end of May and Gross Anatomy starts that June. White Coat Ceremony is performed after you've made it through anatomy

Reactions: 1 user
Just submitted my AMCAS, year 2013...I am ready for you! Here's to better luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.