2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Submitted my application as a regular applicant in this morning. I wish good luck to all of you..

Members don't see this ad.

Classes start in June. Orientation is at the end of May and Gross Anatomy starts that June. White Coat Ceremony is performed after you've made it through anatomy

Correct. We also take Doctoring 1 over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
How soon AMCAS would release the applications to schools?

Didn't it open in May to fill out for submissions beginning in June? If you submitted early (June 1st or whatever day), then you'll get verified quickly & your application released. I think I submitted on the first day last year and had FSU's secondary invitation June 28th.

Didn't it open in May to fill out for submissions beginning in June? If you submitted early (June 1st or whatever day), then you'll get verified quickly & your application released. I think I submitted on the first day last year and had FSU's secondary invitation June 28th.
I've applied on 6/5, and have been waiting for my verification since then. I wonder if AMCAS directly send the applications to schools, or they send them in batches in certain periods like end of each month.

i submitted mine on june 5th five minutes after it opened and received my verification and processing like 3 hours later...last year I did the same thing and got my FSU secondary on the 29th :)

i submitted mine on june 5th five minutes after it opened and received my verification and processing like 3 hours later...last year I did the same thing and got my FSU secondary on the 29th :)
Does it mean EDP applicants are verified earlier? :)

If you submit in early June and everything checks out, AAMC will send out your information on June 28th. It doesn't matter if you get verified on June 6 or June 27 AAMC will not send your info out until June 28 so you can get secondaries until June 28th at the earliest.

I don't know about that information Worldchanger. Do you know where you got that info from? I was always under the impression that the sooner you were verified the sooner they sent your primary to the schools. Hence the benefit of applying early. Plus they don't do EDP sooner I don't think because I treated AMCAS the same way last year (applied June 1st and verified June 1st) and I wasn't EDP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about that information Worldchanger. Do you know where you got that info from? I was always under the impression that the sooner you were verified the sooner they sent your primary to the schools. Hence the benefit of applying early. Plus they don't do EDP sooner I don't think because I treated AMCAS the same way last year (applied June 1st and verified June 1st) and I wasn't EDP.

It was on the face of the application for awhile and then after submitting it was in one of those notifications. It is also on their list of important dates on the AMCAS site. Check it out for yourself https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/. You still have the benefit of applying early as long as you are verified in June so they can send out the first information on June 29.

I had applied as a regular applicant. I wonder if I can now change my application to EDP as there's just one school in my list, which is FSU.

It was on the face of the application for awhile and then after submitting it was in one of those notifications. It is also on their list of important dates on the AMCAS site. Check it out for yourself https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/. You still have the benefit of applying early as long as you are verified in June so they can send out the first information on June 29.
But, I see in my verified application details that Application has been made available to the designated medical school. How does that mean, then?

Once you submit, you can't change anything unless you want to resubmit and start the re-verification process all over again.

Once you submit, you can't change anything unless you want to resubmit and start the re-verification process all over again.
That's okay. I always assume a blessing in everything happens. Let me then apply to my alma mater (USF), too. FSUCOM has always been my first choice,though.

But, I see in my verified application details that Application has been made available to the designated medical school. How does that mean, then?

That is an automated response. They are not going to change that for just one month of responding.They have it on there own site that they release the info to school on the 29th, so expect secondaries then. Relax...

That is an automated response. They are not going to change that for just one month of responding.They have it on there own site that they release the info to school on the 29th, so expect secondaries then. Relax...
I'm chill, but AMCAS website along with this application process is kinda cumbersome. Those details should be there to read without further searching into other sites and documents or asking to others.

It's all part of the process. If you want information you have to dig for it by searching websites or forums, calling admissions committees or boards, talking to current medical students, etc. It's just part of it.

It's all part of the process. If you want information you have to dig for it by searching websites or forums, calling admissions committees or boards, talking to current medical students, etc. It's just part of it.
:thumbup:
I'm doing it. Thanks mvb2.

haha awesome! But I do agree, it gets tedious...especially the second time around ;)

Still got a long way to go here....Keep it together..... Try to have fun this summer and stay away from SDN and applications for awhile... You will feel better when you get back and we will all still be here....:zip:

SeminoleVesicle... that may be the best username I've seen on here. Party on, friend

Hi all... question about FSU. FSU brands themselves as mainly looking for in-state students who are possibly looking into primary care only - IM, FM, etc. My question is.. if a student simply isn't sure if they want to do primary care only, is it advisable from a student's point of view to NOT attend here? Will it be difficult to match into a residency for a speciality coming from a school like FSU, and will you basically be pigeonholed into primary care because you went to FSU vs. another school?

Hi all... question about FSU. FSU brands themselves as mainly looking for in-state students who are possibly looking into primary care only - IM, FM, etc. My question is.. if a student simply isn't sure if they want to do primary care only, is it advisable from a student's point of view to NOT attend here? Will it be difficult to match into a residency for a speciality coming from a school like FSU, and will you basically be pigeonholed into primary care because you went to FSU vs. another school?

My money is on NO and NO. For the most part FSU students get the same education as every other MD school so it should have no effect on your match. FSU like many school, hold down the primary care button because that is the area where the medical need is greatest. So they prefer people that are leaning that direction but people do change their minds in med school all the time so a person that wants to match into surgery will have passed the same classes as a person that wants to match into FM. Although the elective rotations maybe a bit different and so could the USMLE scores. Here is how I look at it... Med school is med school, if you happen to have the same interests as the school thats a plus and you should play that as far as it will get you, if your interest are a bit different don't rub it in their faces and word your essays such that you may have a strong interest is learning all about the complexities of the different fields especially primary care. Of course if I am way off here a student should correct it but thats my two cents.

My money is on NO and NO. For the most part FSU students get the same education as every other MD school so it should have no effect on your match. FSU like many school, hold down the primary care button because that is the area where the medical need is greatest. So they prefer people that are leaning that direction but people do change their minds in med school all the time so a person that wants to match into surgery will have passed the same classes as a person that wants to match into FM. Although the elective rotations maybe a bit different and so could the USMLE scores. Here is how I look at it... Med school is med school, if you happen to have the same interests as the school thats a plus and you should play that as far as it will get you, if your interest are a bit different don't rub it in their faces and word your essays such that you may have a strong interest is learning all about the complexities of the different fields especially primary care. Of course if I am way off here a student should correct it but thats my two cents.

Seems pretty close. We have interest groups for pretty much every major specialty. FSU knows not all of us want or will go into primary care. The goal is that financial aid burdens won't be your deciding factor away from primary care. The bulk of the classes are matching primary care fields, but we have a good number going into surgery, anesthesia (8 matched this year), etc...

Seems pretty close. We have interest groups for pretty much every major specialty. FSU knows not all of us want or will go into primary care. The goal is that financial aid burdens won't be your deciding factor away from primary care. The bulk of the classes are matching primary care fields, but we have a good number going into surgery, anesthesia (8 matched this year), etc...

Thanks for the backup.:thumbup:

Howdy ladies and gents,

As a soon to be second year at FSU COM I will try to answer any and all questions regarding FSU or the application process. Questions specifically about clinical years should be posed to the more senior members of my school, such as Mosspoh :), due to my limited experience with the subject.

Background: Graduated from UF: Microbio, "Traditional" Applicant, interviewed at most of the FL schools, picked FSU over the others. Loving every minute of it. Working as a TA and doing research over the summer.

FSU is one of the top medical schools for family medicine, therefore they tend to take students with lower MCAT's to increase the likelihood of producing more family medicine physicians, often they turn down applicants because their MCAT scores are too high.

This is not correct. I, as well as many of my classmates at FSU, scored in the 90+ percentile in the MCAT. We all got in. Nor is there any correlation between those with low MCAT scores and their likelihood to enter family medicine. However, it is true that FSU has a primary care focus. Additionally, their admissions committee does not weigh MCAT scores as heavily as other schools. They try to take a "holistic" approach to interviewing applicants by examining more than one score on one test. Please be sure to check your sources before posting misleading information on this thread :D.

i believe the poster you quoted was just simply saying that the average MCAT score of FSU's previous classes has been at about a 28 whereas most of the other med schools in the area have an average MCAT of about 31-32. Thus, technically, FSU is more likely to accept those with lower MCATs if the rest of their application is strong compared to other floridian med schools. but i do agree that low MCAT scores have nothing to do with producing FM doctors. lol FM doctors are just as smart as neurosurgeons :)

i believe the poster you quoted was just simply saying that the average MCAT score of FSU's previous classes has been at about a 28 whereas most of the other med schools in the area have an average MCAT of about 31-32. Thus, technically, FSU is more likely to accept those with lower MCATs if the rest of their application is strong compared to other floridian med schools. but i do agree that low MCAT scores have nothing to do with producing FM doctors. lol FM doctors are just as smart as neurosurgeons :)
My friend's wife, a USF Medical School graduate, has been working as an FM physician in Florida with many other of her classmates, is quite successful, and making a hell of money too (though, that amount might not attract others, depends on how it looks to you.) She's just decided to move to New York closer to their parents, and she'll be opening her private practice there.

I've personally decided to go with FM or IM in a rural setting in Florida instead of dodging with gunners for some specialties and competing all my life. Looking at their mission statement at their official website, FSU seems like a great fit for me. This is why FSUCOM is my #1 choice among others.

Howdy ladies and gents,

As a soon to be second year at FSU COM I will try to answer any and all questions regarding FSU or the application process. Questions specifically about clinical years should be posed to the more senior members of my school, such as Mosspoh :), due to my limited experience with the subject.

Background: Graduated from UF: Microbio, "Traditional" Applicant, interviewed at most of the FL schools, picked FSU over the others. Loving every minute of it. Working as a TA and doing research over the summer.

This is not correct. I, as well as many of my classmates at FSU, scored in the 90+ percentile in the MCAT. We all got in. Nor is there any correlation between those with low MCAT scores and their likelihood to enter family medicine. However, it is true that FSU has a primary care focus. Additionally, their admissions committee does not weigh MCAT scores as heavily as other schools. They try to take a "holistic" approach to interviewing applicants by examining more than one score on one test. Please be sure to check your sources before posting misleading information on this thread :D.

I don't know which TA you are, but you guys are doing an awesome job. Continuing on with what Butler said, check the the match lists; FSU is placing people in great specialties at great places (Ortho at Mayo, EM at Harvard etc.).

My friend's wife, a USF Medical School graduate, has been working as an FM physician in Florida with many other of her classmates, is quite successful, and making a hell of money too (though, that amount might not attract others, depends on how it looks to you.) She's just decided to move to New York closer to their parents, and she'll be opening her private practice there.

I've personally decided to go with FM or IM in a rural setting in Florida instead of dodging with gunners for some specialties and competing all my life. Looking at their mission statement at their official website, FSU seems like a great fit for me. This is why FSUCOM is my #1 choice among others.

You'll notice that the student body at FSU is unlike any other school you'll interview at. They're looking for genuinely down-to-earth people that are not machines. Also, you'll find that your specialty choice will change several times throughout medical school, but your current route doesn't hurt for FSU's mission :).

Hoping to get this AMCAS finished and in tonight. I visited in May, and this is where I want to be next year. Hopefully, I'm not too far behind.

Also, do you guys think there is any possibility that an exceptionally high mcat score could be a liability? The previous posts regarding the lower mcat average and seeking out of down to earth non-machines has me a little paranoid. :)

Hoping to get this AMCAS finished and in tonight. I visited in May, and this is where I want to be next year. Hopefully, I'm not too far behind.

Also, do you guys think there is any possibility that an exceptionally high mcat score could be a liability? The previous posts regarding the lower mcat average and seeking out of down to earth non-machines has me a little paranoid. :)

I am going to say no.

Last edited:

While I think the school's goal is admirable and there is definitely nothing wrong with family med, you will notice a pretty strong personality difference between most family med docs and neurosurgeons. My personal lifestyle would align a little more with the family med style, but they definitely don't have it easy either. One of the problems is that family medicine attracts a lot of people that say, "Oh, its just family medicine." Neurosurgery gets people that worked their arse off, excelled on every test, researched and then commited to a life of working their arse off for extreme hours. Hospitals are much more excited to get a neurosurgeon than a family med doc (sadly). If you look at the people that choose both because they love their specialty and worked their arse off, then they probably are equally as intelligent.

As far as the competing the whole life thing someone else said, that is something I really don't understand. The reason a lot of those specialties are competitive is because they have easy lifestyles and you don't have to see 50 non-compliant patients a day and take call as much.

What specialty you choose depends on your interests, but also what you experience during your rotations. I know people who were Mr./Ms. Hardcore Primary Care and then started up rotations and were miserable because it felt like groundhog's day to them and they didn't really do the breadth of stuff they thought they would and I've met others that liked it a ton. I enjoyed my rotation enough, but thought the days were a grind and that the future of family med involves a difficult life for not as much money as they deserve. I also felt like it was all about pre-programmed algorithms and less knowledge of pathology mechanisms, physiology, etc.

Its ok to be interested in a field. Just avoid broad sweeping comments based on a a small N.

While I think the school's goal is admirable and there is definitely nothing wrong with family med, you will notice a pretty strong personality difference between most family med docs and neurosurgeons...

Well written!

As far as the competing the whole life thing someone else said, that is something I really don't understand. The reason a lot of those specialties are competitive is because they have easy lifestyles and you don't have to see 50 non-compliant patients a day and take call as much.
Its ok to be interested in a field. Just avoid broad sweeping comments based on a a small N.
I don't think those competitive specialties have easy life styles, either. Maybe dermatology, but Idn. I shadowed two interventional radiologists for about 2 years, but haven't seen them as relaxed and kick-back once. They are working their arses off, too, and have been on-call at inconvenient hours. My brother is an interventional radiologist, too. Hell, yeah, they make a lot of money, but I'd prefer to work in more convenient hours and have my own private practice. Maybe, you're trying to tell us a different story from your experiences that we pre-meds don't know, yet.

Checking back your earlier posts on SDN, I've seen you also had applied to DO schools as well as FSUCOM, didn't you? I assume you used to say that you were interested in primary care at then, it's what DO schools are big on. I admit your understanding of medicine now might have been changed quite a bit after being admitted to an MD school and after completing those clinical-rotations as an MS-4. I guess you're gonna match radiology. Congratulations!

It's not just sticking into a field, but being interested in the primary care field, which isn't a broad sweeping for a pre-med, or is it? Besides, FSU's mission statement talks about the same thing. So, this school MUST BE a great fit for someone interested in primary care, or am I missing something here?

I don't think those competitive specialties have easy life styles, either. Maybe dermatology, but Idn. I shadowed two interventional radiologists for about 2 years, but haven't seen them as relaxed and kick-back once. They are working their arses off, too, and have been on-call at inconvenient hours. My brother is an interventional radiologist, too. Hell, yeah, they make a lot of money, but I'd prefer to work in more convenient hours and have my own private practice. Maybe, you're trying to tell us a different story from your experiences that we pre-meds don't know, yet.

Checking back your earlier posts on SDN, I've seen you also had applied to DO schools as well as FSUCOM, didn't you? I assume you used to say that you were interested in primary care at then, it's what DO schools are big on. I admit your understanding of medicine now might have been changed quite a bit after being admitted to an MD school and after completing those clinical-rotations as an MS-4. I guess you're gonna match radiology. Congratulations!

It's not just sticking into a field, but being interested in the primary care field, which isn't a broad sweeping for a pre-med, or is it? Besides, FSU's mission statement talks about the same thing. So, this school MUST BE a great fit for someone interested in primary care, or am I missing something here?

So, let me preface by saying that I know very little about IR and I'm sure MossPoh will jump all over anything I say. I'd just be a little iffy on hearing a premed saying something to the effect of 'wow, that guy works a lot.' I'm not trying to be a douche, but before med school, I didn't know what "a lot of work" was. Also, before you go to med school, you don't really have any concept of how much doctors actually work. You look at family med, a relatively benign lifestyle. People outside of medicine might think they work a bunch if they do paperwork from 6-8, see patients from 8-5, then dictate/chart for an hour or two and a few hours on saturday and sunday.

My point is that almost all doctors work a ton, even the one's with 'lifestyle' specialties. Yes, a lot of competitive specialties are competitive because high salary and low hours (derm, ophtho, etc), but they still work a ton - just not by MD standards.

So, let me preface by saying that I know very little about IR and I'm sure MossPoh will jump all over anything I say. I'd just be a little iffy on hearing a premed saying something to the effect of 'wow, that guy works a lot.' I'm not trying to be a douche, but before med school, I didn't know what "a lot of work" was. Also, before you go to med school, you don't really have any concept of how much doctors actually work. You look at family med, a relatively benign lifestyle. People outside of medicine might think they work a bunch if they do paperwork from 6-8, see patients from 8-5, then dictate/chart for an hour or two and a few hours on saturday and sunday.

My point is that almost all doctors work a ton, even the one's with 'lifestyle' specialties. Yes, a lot of competitive specialties are competitive because high salary and low hours (derm, ophtho, etc), but they still work a ton - just not by MD standards.

:thumbup:

Nicely said. :thumbup:

does anyone know the secondary for last year? I haven't been able to find it

Status
Not open for further replies.