2012-2013 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are not the word for word questions, just what I extrapolated from my essays that I wrote last year:

1. Explain your travel experience
2. Describe your favorite hobby
3. What is something that your professors and advisors probably don't know about you
4. Describe your parents and your relationship with them
5. Describe your siblings
6. What time of medicine are you interested in
7.Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

Members don't see this ad.

These are not the word for word questions, just what I extrapolated from my essays that I wrote last year:

1. Explain your travel experience

2. Describe your favorite hobby
3. What is something that your professors and advisors probably don't know about you
4. Describe your parents and your relationship with them
5. Describe your siblings
6. What time of medicine are you interested in
7.Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

Finally found my old app essays :laugh:. These questions are from the 2011 app cycle, but they are identical to the quoted above, so I assume they don't change the secondary often. Each question had a 500 word limit. I have added some italicized personal comments to give you some guidance answering the questions.

1. Travel Experience (what cool places have you been, definitely talk about mission trips or health service trips to rural/3rd world countries if you have them)
2. Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.) (are you a boring robot?)
3. Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or adviser would not normally learn about you. (no idea, answer it with something interesting)
4. For both mother and father, give the following:

• Where they were raised
  • 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
  • Traits you get from him/her
  • Your rapport with him/her
  • His/her hobbies or interests
5. Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
6. In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? (loaded question if I've ever seen one.)
7. Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions. (Personal statement #2)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorta off topic but I'd figure I'd share it on here

I work in a local hospital as an ER scribe. Tomorrow I work with a brand new out of residency physician and it turns out the guy went to FSU med. I met him today and he had nothing but positive things to say about the medical school. I'm even more excited about this school.

When answering these prompts, do you think we should be assuming that the reader has read our entire AMCAS application?

I am considering rewriting a lot of my "most meaningful activity" paragraph for the unique traits, experiences, etc. question.

Thanks!

When answering these prompts, do you think we should be assuming that the reader has read our entire AMCAS application?

I am considering rewriting a lot of my "most meaningful activity" paragraph for the unique traits, experiences, etc. question.

Thanks!

Yes....you don't want to repeat info. You only get two shots (primary and secondary) to tell the committee who you are and what you stand for.

I see, so I should assume that the reader definitely has read my entire AMCA application. Does that make repeating information such as the fact that I run and have a scholarship completely redundant, even if it is just a sentence?

Thanks for the help

I see, so I should assume that the reader definitely has read my entire AMCA application. Does that make repeating information such as the fact that I run and have a scholarship completely redundant, even if it is just a sentence?

Thanks for the help

There should be things that you couldn't fit onto your AMCAS but were just as worthy. Your secondary is where you talk about those plus expound upon activities in the primary that you don't feel received adequate attention.

I found the secondary (long ago now) to really be more of a way to establish a picture of you as a person.

I did a few sections in bullet points.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the help

I think running could definitely fit in the fun/diversions essay, but having a scholarship will hold little weight unless you obtained it as an award of sorts while already in undergrad.

Two of my friends matriculated here this year, and both of them sent me their essays. After reading them, it became obvious that they really just want to know who you are (you're value of family, hobbies, etc.). It need not be too elaborate or repetitive from AMCAS unless a certain event really has had an enormous influence on your character.

In a little over 36 hours, I have submitted my secondary! Hopefully I will find good fortune this time around, plus applying super early. :)

In a little over 36 hours, I have submitted my secondary! Hopefully I will find good fortune this time around, plus applying super early. :)

Good luck.

Bullet points are acceptable for questions. Don't include any BS, because they can smell it from a mile away (i.e. what type of medicine question).

Ok guys... on the critical essay "Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions." I might be reading to far into it but which definition of realization applies here? Are they asking me how I'm qualified to be a medical student and physician or are they asking us how we are qualified and to discuss how we made the decision to pursue a medical career?

Application is complete. I hope I'll get an interview invite and then admission to join the class of 2017 at my top choice school.:love:

FSU just confirmed my application, I wonder how long it will take before II's, I know last year I received mine in about a month

FSU just confirmed my application, I wonder how long it will take before II's, I know last year I received mine in about a month

I'm rooting for you man. Let's start waiting. As an EDP applicant, you must be receiving it much earlier than us.

Last year, I wasn't EDP and I got my II in August and Interviewed end of September...but again, I finished my secondary about two weeks after it was given out. Thanks, I don't think it'll be too long before you find out either. Good Luck!

I got the secondary invite on Friday but I can't log in. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Like I said, I got my secondary on 7/10 and I was able to log in and complete it by 7/11 and FSU verified it and received all of my supplementary material (LORs, transcripts, etc) by 7/12...I would call FSU if you are still having issues

I had that problem and I emailed them and they said there was nothing they saw on their side. I tried again this morning and it was working. I used the same browser, same computer, same login (checked multiple times last night). I assume it was some glitch in their system that was fixed. If it still doesn't work for you I would email them.

It finally started working this morning. Good luck to everyone with the application.

Ok so it asks for your relationship with your parents ect, and the names of your siblings...how can they ask this stuff legally and second ...who in the world cares and how does that influence you candidacy as a medical student? What kind of messed up school is this?

You don't have to finish the application. I don't see any legal boundaries in the questions, they're trying to better understand you as a person. We don't want drones here.

Ok so it asks for your relationship with your parents ect, and the names of your siblings...how can they ask this stuff legally and second ...who in the world cares and how does that influence you candidacy as a medical student? What kind of messed up school is this?

I think it has to do with them being very big on family medicine. Either way I'd rather write about my family than have to answer some of the questions on other secondaries...I'm not complaining.

How can an organization ask the names of your loved ones after they already have your social security number and all of your academic records for the 4+ years? Pretty easy, they put it in a question.

They just want to know about you. It isn't like they see, "Oh, this guy/gal doesn't have siblings and their dad left when he/she was 3 years old? REJEEECCCCCTTTT!"

Questions like that are really how a lot of interviewers are moving. They don't care how well you frame the generic "greatest weakness" questions as much as to see HOW you answer questions. Residency programs aren't supposed to ask about marriage, family plans, etc., but they still do on occasion, especially if you blurt out, "Oh, my fiance.." as you are finishing a question.

The other simple alternative is to not apply. If you're willing to not go to a pretty good and comfy school because you don't like talking about family, you have that right.

They just want to know about you. It isn't like they see, "Oh, this guy/gal doesn't have siblings and their dad left when he/she was 3 years old? REJEEECCCCCTTTT!"
This made me chuckle a little at the office.. Yo, Mosspoh.. :laugh:

OP, I think you shouldn't apply here because this is only a start.

Last edited:

Wow, if you feel this way PLEASE PLEASE don't apply! There are plenty of other applicants whom this is their top school. And yes, your relationship to your family and those closest to you does say quite a bit about your character and personality. They want personable people, not cookie-cutters.

how close to the word limits are you guys making the essays? Mine are around 200, the longest. Others like the hobbies are shorter. I feel uncomfortable making them this short but I don't want to seem like i'm rambling on.

Reactions: 1 user
how close to the word limits are you guys making the essays? Mine are around 200, the longest. Others like the hobbies are shorter. I feel uncomfortable making them this short but I don't want to seem like i'm rambling on.

Almost all of mine are right at 500...for instance, my critical essay and my travel essay are exactly 500 words. I found it difficult to not go over the word count so I had to learn to be brief and succinct. I didn't feel that I was rambling, I just had so much information that I wanted to share about myself! :)

This waiting is killing me!!...has anyone submitted more LOR than FSU requires? Is that a good idea if they are all very good letters...or not?

This made me chuckle a little at the office.. Yo, Mosspoh.. :laugh:

OP, I think you shouldn't apply here because this is only a start.

Dont laugh....Mosspoh's is writing from experience.....his family was torn apart by wolves at which point he established residency among a group of deadly silverback gorillas.

His MCAT was a 3 and his GPA was a 1.0, but the fear the admission committee had of being torn apart was too much to deny his app.

Dont laugh....Mosspoh's is writing from experience.....his family was torn apart by wolves at which point he established residency among a group of deadly silverback gorillas.

His MCAT was a 3 and his GPA was a 1.0, but the fear the admission committee had of being torn apart was too much to deny his app.

Uhhh, scared :eek:? Meeeh.. Actually, I kinda started feeling cosy here in the hood after this :cool:.

All hail Mosspoh. :D

Just gonna come out and say it.... I LOVE FSU :luck:

Only 7 secondaries? ;)

And that really wasn't that far off from my GPA or MCAT. Although, it isn't silverback gorillas. The tribe I'm from tends to have more black and brown hair to their back.

Only 7 secondaries? ;)

And that really wasn't that far off from my GPA or MCAT. Although, it isn't silverback gorillas. The tribe I'm from tends to have more black and brown hair to their back.

What.. are... they?:confused:

The hint was in "the tribe" part.

Only 7 secondaries? ;)

Well it went up to 11 however i should get a few done this week

Just rip them all off at once. I applied to 33 schools and completed 30 secondaries back when I applied. My apartment was covered in piles of secondaries and random passport type pictures.

Just rip them all off at once. I applied to 33 schools and completed 30 secondaries back when I applied. My apartment was covered in piles of secondaries and random passport type pictures.

Well i am. As i go down the list many secondaries are compatible with other schools so i am thinking a few more and then i will be able to put 30 mins in and be done with a secondary.

Well i am. As i go down the list many secondaries are compatible with other schools so i am thinking a few more and then i will be able to put 30 mins in and be done with a secondary.

My one gripe about FSU's admissions, and other schools that do this for that matter, is everyone gets a secondary after submitting their primary. For FSU its not as big an issue because they don't just look for the numbers, but other schools will get the primary, open up their secondary to you and require a fee even if you don't have a chance of getting an interview. Complete waste of time and money on the applicants side of things.

My one gripe about FSU's admissions, and other schools that do this for that matter, is everyone gets a secondary after submitting their primary. For FSU its not as big an issue because they don't just look for the numbers, but other schools will get the primary, open up their secondary to you and require a fee even if you don't have a chance of getting an interview. Complete waste of time and money on the applicants side of things.

Not true. I mean I am sitting on a 3.4 and a 32 MCAT. I am also in an SMP. If all schools screened out people that "didn't have a chance due to grades or scores" I would be screened out before I ever told the medical school about the SMP I am in. SMPs trump UG grades in showing a school how well you can do in medical school because SMPs give the school a direct comparison with their current med school class.

You look at this all wrong, getting a secondary is a chance to make your case, not a burden. Some schools will take interest in my special masters program and will want update some won't. You can never tell. I am willing to bet FSU will be receptive to my SMP and should I do well in the first semester I expect an interview invite in December and there are other schools like this in the state. USF, UM and UF I bet will be least receptive. Also keep in mind non trads, they could be screened out too.

Not true. I mean I am sitting on a 3.4 and a 32 MCAT. I am also in an SMP. If all schools screened out people that "didn't have a chance due to grades or scores" I would be screened out before I ever told the medical school about the SMP I am in. SMPs trump UG grades in showing a school how well you can do in medical school because SMPs give the school a direct comparison with their current med school class.

You look at this all wrong, getting a secondary is a chance to make your case, not a burden. Some schools will take interest in my special masters program and will want update some won't. You can never tell. I am willing to bet FSU will be receptive to my SMP and should I do well in the first semester I expect an interview invite in December and there are other schools like this in the state. USF, UM and UF I bet will be least receptive. Also keep in mind non trads, they could be screened out too.

I totally agree. I do think they should at least look at your primary before sending the secondary though. Blindly sending a secondary to every applicant that applies, especially if requiring a fee, just doesn't seem right to me. I'm not advocating a strict numbers screening process. The school should at least glance at the primary before making the decision though. You are definitely right about FSU. They want to learn about you and see who you really are. That's why there secondary is a bit different than most.

FSU not charging a fee until you're accepted is pretty chill.

I do have a problem with the schools that don't have any real goal of interviewing you but will send a secondary. I noticed that the schools that were the worst were the ones where I did stand a chance though. Hell, my dad went to NYMC, was AOA and donated every year. The app consisted of "1) Do you know anyone that went here? 2) Pay us 130 dollars. 3) Don't call us. We will call you, maybe."

Ok, the quote marks may be a lie, but that is what it felt like

Status
Not open for further replies.