2012-2013 Pre-Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been over 9 minutes since I submitted and still no interview offers. Do you guys think I waited too long to submit the application?

Members don't see this ad.

It's been over 9 minutes since I submitted and still no interview offers. Do you guys think I waited too long to submit the application?

Well, it probably wasn't the best decision to delay your application submission that much, but I wouldn't panic yet. Some programs give out late invites. Maybe talk w your advisor about back-up options?

Well, it probably wasn't the best decision to delay your application submission that much, but I wouldn't panic yet. Some programs give out late invites. Maybe talk w your advisor about back-up options?

I forgot to mention... I'm an IMG, so I don't have an advisor. I guess there's always next year...

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't submit mine until about 10:04 -- game over man! game over.

:eek:

I have no idea how to pick programs. =/ I'm aiming for West Coast (San fran+Mountainview)/Pacific Northwest because of better job options for my bf, but East Coast (mainly Boston & NY) are also good cities for start-up/tech jobs for him. And then the DC area is because of family. I feel like 16 is a lot of programs, but I don't know if I have enough variety (lots of big names).

Last edited:
Hey guys, just thought I'd jump into the game here as a longtime lurker who has gotten a lot out of this board. I'm an eastcoaster applying to predominantly west coast schools for personal reasons. Just sent out my apps - best of luck to everyone this season!

I'm sure that it was because of something you posted in this forum.
We PDs are always watching...and we have ways of finding out exactly who you are....
:D

I'm sure that it was because of something you posted in this forum.
We PDs are always watching...and we have ways of finding out exactly who you are....
:D

My program has the pre-cogs from Minority Report. We actually sent out all of our invites two hours before ERAS was open, so if you haven't heard from Program X, you're out of luck.

My program has the pre-cogs from Minority Report. We actually sent out all of our invites two hours before ERAS was open, so if you haven't heard from Program X, you're out of luck.

Can I borrow the pre-cogs if you're done with them? It would make screening the 800+ apps we're expecting in the coming week SOOO much easier.

:luck: everyone... can't wait for those invites to start rolling in! :eek:

Here's my problem: I have no desire to list BS on my application and have left all of it out. However, because of this it looks rather thin and as if I didn't do anything, but I just have a difficult time listing BS volunteer work, BS undergrad research and some BS employment. I've only chosen to list two significant 'experiences'.

Ohio St. is downloading apps... this is gonna be a long couple weeks refreshing ADTS and my email

Here's my problem: I have no desire to list BS on my application and have left all of it out. However, because of this it looks rather thin and as if I didn't do anything, but I just have a difficult time listing BS volunteer work, BS undergrad research and some BS employment. I've only chosen to list two significant 'experiences'.

I read a lot of applications, and I have to say that I would appreciate if everybody did this. I can decide pretty quickly if I think somebody looks like somebody we might want or not, and I have to admit I've probably never read more than 30% of a personal statement. However, I also don't think I'm very typical, so don't know what to tell you as to the wisdom of the approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is gonna be a long couple weeks refreshing ADTS and my email

My panic has officially set in despite my best efforts at playing minecraft.
Some dumb ADTS questions that aren't super psychiatry specific:

1. It says my USMLE transcript is "not uploaded to Post Office" From reading elsewhere I think this is normal? Usually takes 3-5 days or so- anyone else having this experience?

2. What does it mean when something is grey. For example, in some programs my LoRs and photo are highlighted in grey, while my profile or personal statement might not be. Does that mean the program looked at it. The grey-ness seems to have no correlation to whether it has been retrieved or what not. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

So far I have 4/40 apps retrieved. PANIC ON THE STREETS OF LONDON

For medical school I have heard that admission committees (especially at non-name brand schools) won't bother wasting an interview slot for the most qualified applicants from CA (or will offer an interview in January when it likely will be refused). Through experience, committees know that by-in-large the top CA students will stay in CA (or go to a name-brand school). My concern is this: I am a "highly competitive" applicant who for many reasons is much more excited about programs like U of Arkansas, Indiana, UNM, or Hennepin County than I am for MGH/UCLA/UCSF. With the exception of Hennepin County, I have no clear connections to these programs/areas... Will they screen me out? Is it necessary for "highly competitive" applicants applying to traditionally less competitive programs to contact the programs to demonstrate genuine interest? (I hope not!)

For medical school I have heard that admission committees (especially at non-name brand schools) won't bother wasting an interview slot for the most qualified applicants from CA (or will offer an interview in January when it likely will be refused). Through experience, committees know that by-in-large the top CA students will stay in CA (or go to a name-brand school). My concern is this: I am a "highly competitive" applicant who for many reasons is much more excited about programs like U of Arkansas, Indiana, UNM, or Hennepin County than I am for MGH/UCLA/UCSF. With the exception of Hennepin County, I have no clear connections to these programs/areas... Will they screen me out? Is it necessary for "highly competitive" applicants applying to traditionally less competitive programs to contact the programs to demonstrate genuine interest? (I hope not!)

I have seen this happen at some medical schools. Not sure if it happens at residency programs, but I suppose it could be the case.

Contacting programs pre-emptively may not be necessary. However, if you are well into interview season and the interviews you are getting are not consistent with your personal assessment of the competitiveness of your application (and the available evidence suggests that your personal assessment is a realistic one), then it might not hurt to send a program director a personalized email describing your reasons for applying to her program and expressing your hope that they will consider your application.

I have seen this happen at some medical schools. Not sure if it happens at residency programs, but I suppose it could be the case.

Contacting programs pre-emptively may not be necessary. However, if you are well into interview season and the interviews you are getting are not consistent with your personal assessment of the competitiveness of your application (and the available evidence suggests that your personal assessment is a realistic one), then it might not hurt to send a program director a personalized email describing your reasons for applying to her program and expressing your hope that they will consider your application.

Thank you for your advice - it sounds like a good approach! Also, my intuition tells me that contacting program directors at such an early stage probably should be avoided if possible. (No one wants to work with a high maintenance resident)

I applied this morning, went to a wedding, and just got back. Looks like 4 of my 20 downloaded today. Exciting!

1. It says my USMLE transcript is "not uploaded to Post Office" From reading elsewhere I think this is normal? Usually takes 3-5 days or so- anyone else having this experience?

I got this email last night from ECFMG. Not sure if it applies to AMGs:
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT USMLE TRANSCRIPTS in MYERAS:

Once you assign your USMLE transcript to programs and apply it will take up to 48 hours for the request to be processed and the USMLE transcript made available in the MyERAS PostOffice. The 48 hour process time is regardless of when you initially requested the release in the USMLE transcript tab of MyERAS. This is a standard processing time.

(ERAS emphasized the bold). hope that helps! I guess if you submitted today, scores will be out by Monday.

I was also surprised that programs are already downloading apps. very cool :D

it takes a few hours the 48 hours is a maximum...but it is the weekend! so somehow i don't think these transcripts are getting uploaded until monday either way!

it takes a few hours the 48 hours is a maximum...but it is the weekend! so somehow i don't think these transcripts are getting uploaded until monday either way!

Mine took about 9 hours. I submitted my application at 9:11 am, and my USMLE transcript showed up at about 6:30 pm on the same day.

Mine took about 9 hours. I submitted my application at 9:11 am, and my USMLE transcript showed up at about 6:30 pm on the same day.

feeding the frenzy, lol...so my transcript was uploaded at 11pm...one of the programs that downloaded my app earlier has already retrieved it haha...I guess they refresh every couple hours? weird. but I'm done obsessing over it for the weekend. will resume freak-out mode on Monday ;)

Hello I am USIMG from one of the well known Carib schools and a long term lurker. I am just about ready to submit my application. I was curious to know if we should list our clinical rotations as part of experience. I am against listing it in that section because I think my transcript will provide those information but some friends have argued otherwise. I don't want programs to think I have no USCE when I have completed all of my clinical rotations in US hospitals.

:confused: I didn't even know what ADTS was ... but now I do ;) (Thanks!)

My panic has officially set in despite my best efforts at playing minecraft.
Some dumb ADTS questions that aren't super psychiatry specific:

2. What does it mean when something is grey. For example, in some programs my LoRs and photo are highlighted in grey, while my profile or personal statement might not be. Does that mean the program looked at it. The grey-ness seems to have no correlation to whether it has been retrieved or what not. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

Hello I am USIMG from one of the well known Carib schools and a long term lurker. I am just about ready to submit my application. I was curious to know if we should list our clinical rotations as part of experience. I am against listing it in that section because I think my transcript will provide those information but some friends have argued otherwise. I don't want programs to think I have no USCE when I have completed all of my clinical rotations in US hospitals.

I did not include my rotations in my common application form (CAF) on ERAS because the locations are listed on my MSPE. even though that's released in a couple weeks, I doubt that will bar us from being considered, but who knows...I decided to risk it. Moreover, if you're from one of the older, well-known Carib schools, then I wonder why you're so concerned...many programs should be familiar with the curriculum in that you complete all/most of your clerkships in the US, right?

I totally lied and said I wouldn't come on today...oops. I find ADTS fun to look at even though I know a downloaded app doesn't = automatic interview. still, it's cool to see things on a roll so quickly :)

Weird thing... seems that one program has downloaded my entire application without my USMLE scores (after my USMLE scores had become available for download and several other programs had downloaded it). Wonder what that means...

I know, it's probably a weird detail that doesn't mean anything, but...

I did not include my rotations in my common application form (CAF) on ERAS because the locations are listed on my MSPE. even though that's released in a couple weeks, I doubt that will bar us from being considered, but who knows...I decided to risk it. Moreover, if you're from one of the older, well-known Carib schools, then I wonder why you're so concerned...many programs should be familiar with the curriculum in that you complete all/most of your clerkships in the US, right?

I totally lied and said I wouldn't come on today...oops. I find ADTS fun to look at even though I know a downloaded app doesn't = automatic interview. still, it's cool to see things on a roll so quickly :)

Thx for the feedback. Appreciate it. My Carib school is one of the oldest (Big 3) but I am concerned just in case. Being from the Carib leaves very little room for mistakes. I think I will take that risk just as you have.

I'm curious... what are considered the "Big 3"? and I've been hearing Big 4 recently, which one is this fourth one trying to get in on the action?

Well Big 3/4 are some of the older Carib Schools with a decent reputation, 50 state approval, and US Federal financial aid. There are only Big 3 that get the Federal financial aid (SGU, Ross, AUC). Saba is added to list to make it big 4, they are a great school and equal to the rest but no Fed Financial Aid.

Last edited:
Well Big 3/4 are some of the older Carib Schools with a decent reputation, 50 state approval, and US Federal financial aid. There are only Big 3 that get the Federal financial aid (SGU, Ross, AUC). Saba is added to list to make it big 4, they are a great school and equal to the rest but no Fed Financial Aid.

oh dude, you're fine! I should be the one concerned...I don't go to any of the "Big 4" so I'm likely more screwed than you. though I don't see the big deal. in the eyes of everyone else, we're all Caribbean students/graduates. I guess the so called hierarchy was established to make people feel better/superior? oh wellz. I wish you the best like I would wish anyone else. don't feel undermined by your Carib status...if you've made it to this point, you've done well for yourself :)

oh dude, you're fine! I should be the one concerned...I don't go to any of the "Big 4" so I'm likely more screwed than you. though I don't see the big deal. in the eyes of everyone else, we're all Caribbean students/graduates. I guess the so called hierarchy was established to make people feel better/superior? oh wellz. I wish you the best like I would wish anyone else. don't feel undermined by your Carib status...if you've made it to this point, you've done well for yourself :)
Hey dude. I don't believe in these big 4 type stuff. I like you believe that we are all on the same boat. I was just trying to answer your question regarding my school's name recognition and programs being familiar with our system. I am applying exclusively to psychiatry and only to 70 programs so a little nervous. Thx for the good wishes. I wish you and everyone on this forum good luck.

I would also want to take this time to thank all the medical students, residents and attendings on this forum for their support and insight. This forum has been great guide for this whole process.

Hey dude. I don't believe in these big 4 type stuff. I like you believe that we are all on the same boat. I was just trying to answer your question regarding my school's name recognition and programs being familiar with our system. I am applying exclusively to psychiatry and only to 70 programs so a little nervous. Thx for the good wishes. I wish you and everyone on this forum good luck.

I would also want to take this time to thank all the medical students, residents and attendings on this forum for their support and insight. This forum has been great guide for this whole process.

We're all on the same BANANA boat!! Haha!!! J/k.

I'm from a "big 3" Carib school and I'm applying to 74 programs, all psych, mostly east coast. I'm trying hard to stay optimistic; the advice I keep hearing from many, many recent graduates is to apply widely. I just hope that >70 programs is enough.

We're all on the same BANANA boat!! Haha!!! J/k.

I'm from a "big 3" Carib school and I'm applying to 74 programs, all psych, mostly east coast. I'm trying hard to stay optimistic; the advice I keep hearing from many, many recent graduates is to apply widely. I just hope that >70 programs is enough.

crap. I only applied to 50 programs...and I go to One-of-Those-Random-Islands School of Med. maybe I should withdraw my app, lol

(I'm half joking)

crap. I only applied to 50 programs...and I go to One-of-Those-Random-Islands School of Med. maybe I should withdraw my app, lol

(I'm half joking)

its not about applying broadly its about applying smartly. i.e. there's no point applying to mgh, cambridge or longwood, but st elizabeth's, tuft's and southshore are fair game. there's no point applying to columbia, cornell, nyu, mt sinai but beth israel, st luke's roosevelt, elmhurst are fair game etc etc

Where in California can Carib grads apply and expect a chance of getting into? Just curious.

Just wanted to say good luck to all the pyschiatry applicants this year! I'm looking foward to seeing some of you interview and get to know you guys! Good luck! 4th year is a great year, enjoy yourselves before intern year hits!

its not about applying broadly its about applying smartly. i.e. there's no point applying to mgh, cambridge or longwood, but st elizabeth's, tuft's and southshore are fair game. there's no point applying to columbia, cornell, nyu, mt sinai but beth israel, st luke's roosevelt, elmhurst are fair game etc etc

i hear you, good advice splik. but, if you mean st. elizabeth's in DC then I'll pass... :p

I agree with you. I am a mediocre student from a Carib School with no standard SDN 250s on my transcript so I have taken out most of the more competitive programs and have chosen most of the programs that have IMGs, FMGs, or DOs in their resident list with some out of reach programs.

Pretty much ignoring the West Coast. I am not really sure if it is a good idea but I think 70 programs give me a decent shot.

i hear you, good advice splik. but, if you mean st. elizabeth's in DC then I'll pass... :p

ha! meant the one in boston! btw just because you may be from a less well regarded med school doesn't mean you shouldn't have standards! there are some programs that everyone should avoid like the plague!

Hello everyone! I haven't been on SDN in years, but it helped me a huge amount for medschool interviews so I am hoping it will do the same this time around (prior to going on SDN, I didn't know I was supposed to suit up for interviews)!

How many programs should I apply to? I am in a top-30 US school, a little above average-for-psych step 1, average rank. My department chair/residency advisor said I didn't need to apply to more than 15 programs, but I am a little hesitant to apply to that few! This is especially the case because I think ze kind of wants me to stay at my home program, but I admit I *might* be a little paranoid re: this concern. Also, most of the programs I want to go to are what I'd consider to be "reach" programs for me.

My list so far (will add names once interviews come up):
California - 5
Boston - 3
New York - 5
Northwest - 2
Assorted Northeast - 6
Texas - 2

Also: which programs are heaviest on psychotherapy?

Thanks everyone <3

(edited for gender-neutral pronouns)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I haven't been on SDN in years, but it helped me a huge amount for medschool interviews so I am hoping it will do the same this time around (prior to going on SDN, I didn't know I was supposed to suit up for interviews)!

How many programs should I apply to? I am in a top-30 US school, a little above average-for-psych step 1, average rank. My department chair/residency advisor said I didn't need to apply to more than 15 programs, but I am a little hesitant to apply to that few! This is especially the case because I think ze kind of wants me to stay at my home program, but I admit I *might* be a little paranoid re: this concern. Also, most of the programs I want to go to are what I'd consider to be "reach" programs for me.

California - 5
Boston - 3
New York - 5
Northwest - 2
Assorted Northeast - 6
Texas - 2

Thanks everyone <3

It may be difficult for SDN'ers to give you a decent assessment without additional information about your application, but given that you are trying to mask the gender of your department chair I assume that further information and potential exposure to deidentification is out of the question.

If by "Northwest" you mean OHSU and UW, then I assume that the Boston programs are MGH, Cambridge, and Longwood and that the other programs in California, New York, etc are similarly tiered (e.g., NYU, Columbia, Cornell, MSSM). Not knowing anything more about your letters and/or whether your overall application is interesting or not, I would say MGH, UCSF, Columbia, possibly Cambridge are a reach with regards to matching and a toss-up with regards to getting an interview; and that the other programs are within reach with regards to either. But don't let any uninformed guesses on SDN dissuade you from reaching for what you want.

Also: if your department chair likes you and wants you to stay, that is one thing; if ze is willing to sabotage your interests by giving you poor career advice, that is another thing.

California - 5
Boston - 3
New York - 5
Northwest - 2
Assorted Northeast - 6
Texas - 2

Thanks everyone <3

Your chair is right that you don't need to apply to more than 15 programs. I'd say you'd be fine with 10 unless there's something you're not sharing. With your background, very few programs are going to be a "reach" for you.

California - 5
Boston - 3
New York - 5
Northwest - 2
Assorted Northeast - 6
Texas - 2

Thanks everyone <3

15 programs would be plenty. try googling Charting outcomes from the match from NRMP.