2012-2013 Stony Brook Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

One of my top choices! Ahhh, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

School is my top choice this cycle! Attended Undergrad here and loved it! Got a great education and now hoping to continue here. Good luck to all those who are applying :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Got this secondary! 3 essays same as last year

.ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to one page per question)..
WHAT ASPECTS OF THE FIELD OF MEDICINE MOST INTRIGUE YOU AND DESCRIBE HOW THEY WILL INFLUENCE YOUR MEDICAL PRACTICE.

DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

DESCRIBE AN EXTRACURRICULAR EXPERIENCE THAT YOU HAVE HAD WHICH WILL HELP YOU BECOME A COMPASSIONATE PHYSICIAN AND EXPLAIN WHY

Submitted. Also, it's a regular field text box, so I kept it pretty short overall.

I actually submitted, then paid. Hopefully that's right.

I submitted a few days ago... Is there a website where we can check our applicant status??

I submitted a few days ago... Is there a website where we can check our applicant status??

Yeah. What he said. I hate waiting on emails. I want to be able to neurotically check at 11:26 PM on a Sunday night because that's usually when they update their decisions. I'm losing my mind.

Finally submitted. This was one of the harder secondaries and I really had a hard time coming up with answers that didn't repeat what I said on my PS

Could anybody list the website where the supplemental is found. I received an email asking me to submit one, but it did not list any information (like the website) on how to do so.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will acknowledge receipt of your secondary application for the 2013 entering class.

Thank you for the interest you have expressed in Stony Brook. We hope your interest in our school is informed and specific. We shall do whatever we can (within the limits of our resources and depending on the size of the group that decides to apply to us this year) to be equally specific in our treatment of your application.

Although we cannot acknowledge receipt of each of your supporting documents, we shall inform you when your file of application materials becomes complete.

You may be assured that we will contact you if we feel unable to come to a decision or if we consider that you are in the group when we wish to interview. All decisions will be announced when they are rendered.

The Office of Admissions
Stony Brook University
School of Medicine

---

So I guess I'm...still incomplete? :?

This will acknowledge receipt of your secondary application for the 2013 entering class.

Thank you for the interest you have expressed in Stony Brook. We hope your interest in our school is informed and specific. We shall do whatever we can (within the limits of our resources and depending on the size of the group that decides to apply to us this year) to be equally specific in our treatment of your application.

Although we cannot acknowledge receipt of each of your supporting documents, we shall inform you when your file of application materials becomes complete.

You may be assured that we will contact you if we feel unable to come to a decision or if we consider that you are in the group when we wish to interview. All decisions will be announced when they are rendered.

The Office of Admissions
Stony Brook University
School of Medicine

---

When did you get this?

The Office of Admissions
Stony Brook University
School of Medicine

---

I got the same message on 7/20 after submitting my secondary 7/16, but my committee letter just got to AMCAS yesterday though so maybe that's why I'm incomplete?

I submitted my secondary 7/8. But I only received an "order confirmation" - haven't received any other confirmation email.

I submitted my secondary 7/8. But I only received an "order confirmation" - haven't received any other confirmation email.
I submitted 7/16 and all I got was the receipt, but the website does say they received my secondary... Anyone call them yet about this? hehe

Hmm go figure I just got the "we have received your secondary" email. Wooohoo

I don't know about that, but today:

This is to inform you that your file of application materials is complete and has been sent to our Committee on Admissions for their review.

We shall inform you as soon as the Committee reaches a definitive determination on your candidacy.

I don't know about that, but today:

This is to inform you that your file of application materials is complete and has been sent to our Committee on Admissions for their review.

We shall inform you as soon as the Committee reaches a definitive determination on your candidacy.

I assume you received this via email?

I just submitted, but where do I pay? "Please use our on-line mechanism for payment." Where is this?

My secondary has "CLICK TO PAY" right to the left of that statement

Is it a bad idea to write about overcoming shyness as a child for my essay? I know it's a bad trait for doctors to have but its something I've definitely overcome and I'm a much more outgoing person now

Is it a bad idea to write about overcoming shyness as a child for my essay? I know it's a bad trait for doctors to have but its something I've definitely overcome and I'm a much more outgoing person now

I actually think that's the kind of thing they're looking for.

I like it, especially if you emphasis the last part

The Office of Admissions
Stony Brook University
School of Medicine

---

I JUST got this email...even though I have been complete/secondary submitted for over a week....weird

The Office of Admissions
Stony Brook University
School of Medicine

Woohoo just got the complete email. Secondary completed 7/8 - guess they took a few weeks!

Woohoo just got the complete email. Secondary completed 7/8 - guess they took a few weeks!

same here! i was worried there was something wrong with my app since it took quite a while. glad it's finally complete!

How did you guys interpret the "aspects of medicine" question? I am kinda confused on what they mean by the aspects of medicine

Secondary submitted 7/21, Complete today (8/6)

Interview invite via email! Check your spam folders, everyone. Mine was in spam.

Just curious... with the first question, did anybody go with a negative aspect of medicine that intrigues them? Or is it clearly asking for what we like about the field of medicine?

No other interview invites? Hmm, I guess we should be expecting a bunch this week!

Just curious... with the first question, did anybody go with a negative aspect of medicine that intrigues them? Or is it clearly asking for what we like about the field of medicine?

I took it to mean what positively intrigues you. You liking or not liking a certain aspect may not always play a role as to whether said aspect intrigues you or not

Interview Invite! :)
I am so excited, I visited the campus a week ago and fell in love.

Complete 8/7

However, I am confused, it just says to email one of the admissions people to schedule the interview. I sent an email confirming that I will attend. However, I am unsure if we were expected to email the dates we are available, or if they will get back to us.

Any ideas guys?

Interview Invite! :)
I am so excited, I visited the campus a week ago and fell in love.

Complete 8/7

However, I am confused, it just says to email one of the admissions people to schedule the interview. I sent an email confirming that I will attend. However, I am unsure if we were expected to email the dates we are available, or if they will get back to us.

Any ideas guys?

just got my invite too! im also confused about that, but i think i was going to just let them know that im available for an interview and would prefer a Friday and ask them what dates they have available.

just got my invite too! im also confused about that, but i think i was going to just let them know that im available for an interview and would prefer a Friday and ask them what dates they have available.
Congrats! :D

Yeah I ended up just emailing them and saying that I would like to schedule an interview date. Hopefully they'll get back to us with dates.

I also asked about overnight host or hotel information.

Edit: Scheduled to interview on 9/28

Last edited:
Congrats! :D

Yeah I ended up just emailing them and saying that I would like to schedule an interview date. Hopefully they'll get back to us with dates.

I also asked about overnight host or hotel information.

Edit: Scheduled to interview on 9/28

im scheduled to interview on 9/28 as well! hopefully they can find us student hosts to stay with..

Of all you guys that got interview invites, is anyone OOS? I am OOS but this is my top choice school. Would the OOS people that got invites mind posting their stats? Thanks :)

Of all you guys that got interview invites, is anyone OOS? I am OOS but this is my top choice school. Would the OOS people that got invites mind posting their stats? Thanks :)

im OOS and Stony Brook is my top choice as well!

stats: cGPA 3.54, MCAT 31R

Last edited:
I got nothing since 07/26 :(

IS...>3.6 GPA 34R

Invite!! IS, complete 8/1. 3.65, 32

Stony Brook is one of my top schools! I am so happy right now :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.