2012-2013 UMDNJ - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since UMDNJ and University Hospital will now be two entirely separate entities, the funding UMDNJ received, which used to be divided amongst the schools and the hospital will no longer occur, meaning that NJMS, along with the other schools, will have some more money. Will we see a decrease in tuition? Let me ask you this, will I be immortal tomorrow?

More money would be nice, although I doubt it would happen. The merger will have to be paid for somehow. What will happen is that following the merger, experienced faculty at or near retirement age will retire and the school will be put in the position of hiring new faculty. Which is a shame, because the school's curriculum is built on the strength of its current faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

Invite for MD. Scheduled for October 3rd. Glad to have gotten invites from all 3 state schools at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's weird. It's visible when I search. Even from other accounts. The link doesn't work either?

I feel left out. Someone create a G+ group instead. LOL.

Just wanted to throw the 2012 match list in here for those who havent seen it:

http://njms.umdnj.edu/admissions/prospective/documents/2012MatchReportSpecialty.pdf

Of interest:
-3 Dermatology (Harvard and Columbia included)
-4 Neurosurgery
-9 Ortho
-3 Ent (one in Pitt which is a beast ENT program)
-7 Urology

This is perfect proof that the ranking of a medical school does not define your future career. Go NJMS! :thumbup:

Just wanted to throw the 2012 match list in here for those who havent seen it:

http://njms.umdnj.edu/admissions/prospective/documents/2012MatchReportSpecialty.pdf

Of interest:
-3 Dermatology (Harvard and Columbia included)
-4 Neurosurgery
-9 Ortho
-3 Ent (one in Pitt which is a beast ENT program)
-7 Urology

This is perfect proof that the ranking of a medical school does not define your future career. Go NJMS! :thumbup:

Hmm theres only 4 OBGYN. I wonder if thats less than average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious -- what general things did people talk about in #8 on the secondary (Is there any additional information you would like to share with the committee as it relates to your candidacy for medical school?)

Did most people just leave it blank?

This thread has been dead quiet... I submitted this secondary first (early to mid july) and haven't heard a peep. Has anyone heard from this school and just hasn't posted up? If you don't want to post for any reason, I understand, but could you shoot me a PM to let me know because I am trying to understand why we have heard of only 3 regular MD IIs. I would expect either no regular MD IIs or way more than just 3. A lot of SDNer's are from NJ so this seems odd.

Last year they started rolling in around this time so here's to hoping.

No word yet and I submitted very early in July. I'm guessing they have a lot on their plate with this whole merger thing so I wouldn't be too surprised if it takes a little longer this year.

I submitted my secondary in mid-July, AMCAS verified my primary on 8/20. I hadn't heard anything, so I called them yesterday and asked if my file was complete. They said yes, so I guess I just have to sit and wait.

Very few people actually get the II early. Wait until mid-September, then you'll see them all come out of the woodwork.

I submitted my secondary in mid-July, AMCAS verified my primary on 8/20. I hadn't heard anything, so I called them yesterday and asked if my file was complete. They said yes, so I guess I just have to sit and wait.

I was complete 08/17 but still haven't heard anything either. This is probably normal...

This thread has been dead quiet... I submitted this secondary first (early to mid july) and haven't heard a peep. Has anyone heard from this school and just hasn't posted up? If you don't want to post for any reason, I understand, but could you shoot me a PM to let me know because I am trying to understand why we have heard of only 3 regular MD IIs. I would expect either no regular MD IIs or way more than just 3. A lot of SDNer's are from NJ so this seems odd.

Last year they started rolling in around this time so here's to hoping.

I am honestly very confused about what is going on. A poster above stated that he scheduled a regular MD interview for october. This may potentially mean that a lot of september spots have closed up? Which is weird since barely anyone has posted. But I am pretty sure the school starts regular decision interviews in late August. I submitted my application on 7/3 and have incredibly strong connections in this school. Honestly I would be flabbergasted if I did not receieve an interview since this is the only school I thought I could definitely count on.

Very few people actually get the II early. Wait until mid-September, then you'll see them all come out of the woodwork.

I honestly hope youre right, but how can they start only sending out most of the invites in mid september if the first decisions start mid october?

I was complete 08/17 but still haven't heard anything either. This is probably normal...

I was complete a month and a half before you and havent heard anything. Youre completely fine.

I am honestly very confused about what is going on. A poster above stated that he scheduled a regular MD interview for october. This may potentially mean that a lot of september spots have closed up? Which is weird since barely anyone has posted. But I am pretty sure the school starts regular decision interviews in late August. I submitted my application on 7/3 and have incredibly strong connections in this school. Honestly I would be flabbergasted if I did not receieve an interview since this is the only school I thought I could definitely count .

Not sure if I even mentioned this when I posted, but I am interviewing in October, but that isn't because September were all taken. There was even a date open in august! However, I like many others, have classes to work around so October was my first empty date without other interviews, classes, or work commitments. And just fwiw if you were referring to me, I am a girl.

Not sure if I even mentioned this when I posted, but I am interviewing in October, but that isn't because September were all taken. There was even a date open in august! However, I like many others, have classes to work around so October was my first empty date without other interviews, classes, or work commitments. And just fwiw if you were referring to me, I am a girl.

Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like they might be starting to send interview invites soon. They opened up all the September interview dates on their website already.

I think they are busy finishing with the early decision people... The deadline for EDP applications is 8/1 so they are probably finishing their interviews and making those decisions. One of the points NJMS has always made is that they will make a decision for the EDP early so they aren't completely screwed with the cycle.. With that, I am almost certain that every EDP individual hears from them by early September.

In addition to being overwhelmed by early decision interviews and decisions, I know they had waitlist movement just a few days before orientation started so I would imagine they were busy with that as well..

And the merger..

So everybody chill :cool:

II Today !
Interviewing on 9/11.
I was complete on 8/17

For those of you wondering, most of the September interview dates aren't taken. There was even one available for September 5th !

Invite today as well! Looks like i was worried for nothing. Lots of dates in september still open.

3.4/35, IS, complete 7/2 (thats when i sent the app in)

Best of luck to those waiting!

I really hope I get into this school. It's so close to Manhattan. I'm from California, but always wanted to live in/near NYC

Just an FYI only 31 offers of acceptance from 2060 OOS applicants were given in 2011.

What I was told is during the month of July, the interviews are really for the EDP people, with a couple of regular MD's getting the invite. The decisions are usually made by the third to final week of August, during which regular MD invites are sent out as well.

And NJMS had 10/178 out of state acceptances as per the MSAR for last year.

Those are the matriculated numbers not accepted

II Today !
Interviewing on 9/11.
I was complete on 8/17

For those of you wondering, most of the September interview dates aren't taken. There was even one available for September 5th !

Did you apply early decision?

Slaved away at this secondary, just submitted! By far one of my top choices.
Fingers crossed :oops:

Good luck everyone!

i got the II yesterday, and i waited till today to schedule. yesterday there were a bunch of september interviews left open. today there were none....

so i just scheduled for an october 10th interview. is this considered a late interview? how will it affect my chances? i could have possibly interviewed in september had i scheduled yesterday.....

hshah and endlessj did u guys apply edp?
I thought it might be best to heed the advice of SDNers who constantly say apply early/broad as opposed to EDP. But now I am starting to think NJMS EDP is really different from other schools. oh well!

Just got an interview invite here as a reapplicant. Glad to have gotten invites at all 3 state schools now. Submitted 7/1, letters in 7/12 so probably complete mid-July.

submitted my secondary on 7/5
got interview invite 8/21
interviewing on 9/10 (tomorrow..ahhhh)
regular MD
in state resident

good luck to all of us@

for anybody interested, a few more September interview spots have opened up if you wanted to reschedule your interview earlier.

Does anybody know anything about the health insurance provided by UMDNJ? Does it suck?

Does anyone know if we can take the interviewer's comments about how we did seriously ? My interviewer said a few times in the interview that my application was very strong and at that i had a "super duper" interview at the end. Does this mean I'm basically in or is it largely up to the individual committee members ?

Certainly isn't a bad sign ;) You'll be fine. Just sit back and enjoy the job well done!

URGENT: For those who interviewed already....I have my driver's licence but seemed to have left my passport at home. Was the admissions office strict about having 2 forms of ORIGINAL identification? Would it be fine if I brought a color photocopy of my passport + my original driver's licence?

Thanks in advance.

They did ask for two forms of ID. I had my drivers license and naturalization certificate. I don't know what they would have done if i had said I didn't have one.can you get your birth certificate?

URGENT: For those who interviewed already....I have my driver's licence but seemed to have left my passport at home. Was the admissions office strict about having 2 forms of ORIGINAL identification? Would it be fine if I brought a color photocopy of my passport + my original driver's licence?

Thanks in advance.

Just realized that you are probably away from home. They did seem quite pleasant. maybe you can work something out with them. I would go with the photocopy just in case

Thanks in advance.

There was a guy who came in to interview after me and he had forgotten his passport. The dean came out of this office and literally threw the kid out into the hallway. So yes. You need your passport.

In all seriousness the office photocopies your two forms of id. So you would probably be doing them a favor by having a photocopy. I wouldnt stress over it:thumbup:

Was just a little curious about what ppl wrote for the 'what qualifies you' essay in the secondary? Im in-state but im prob a stretch for this school, still im going to submit the app anyway and cross-fingers/give it a shot. Im afraid to repeat my PS too much, but aside from that and a little more specific 'why NJMS' im unsure what direction to go?

Anyone know if this school rly does look at the whole applicant more than GPA like their website says? My EC and LORs are pretty competitive, but i want to stay very realistic. Thanks for the help!

interview invite today. complete 8/7. in state. good luck everyone

My interview is coming up soon! I'm really excited, just looking for some advice, school specific or not!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.