2012 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good Luck to you all tomorrow. I will be in your shoes in a little over a week.

Will the Phase II sites be listed on the APPIC website or are they listed on the match site? I can post them tomorrow since I'm not doing APPIC.

Thanks! Good luck with CAPIC!

They'll be at a link on the match website here: http://www.natmatch.com/psychint/indexorg.htm

(If history is any indication of this year's results, the list will be too long to put into one post.)

Members don't see this ad.

So how many of you are browsing this topic while at practicum?

I really should be working on a report, but with something like 16-20 hours until I know whether or not I match (at this point, I'd be very happy with any of the three sites I ranked), the idea of working productively has gone right out the window.

Are you watching me? How did you know???? I only have five unscored protocols sitting in front of me while I type this...

Are you watching me? How did you know???? I only have five unscored protocols sitting in front of me while I type this...

The fact that this has turned into the longest day of practicum I've ever had isn't helping. I spent the first half of a lunch seminar doodling the word "breathe" on my notepad. I spend the second half of the seminar considing the relative merits of a tattoo of the doodle.

This might have worked OK, but my supervisor was leading the seminar and asked me a question near the end. It should have been an easy one for me to answer, and I think she was setting me up to look/feel good about myself. Instead, I was so caught in my inner-monologue that I stared at her like a deer in headlights for about 20 seconds before a friend sitting next to me jumped in with a saving response.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that this has turned into the longest day of practicum I've ever had isn't helping. I spent the first half of a lunch seminar doodling the word "breathe" on my notepad. I spend the second half of the seminar considing the relative merits of a tattoo of the doodle.

This might have worked OK, but my supervisor was leading the seminar and asked me a question near the end. It should have been an easy one for me to answer, and I think she was setting me up to look/feel good about myself. Instead, I was so caught in my inner-monologue that I stared at her like a deer in headlights for about 20 seconds before a friend sitting next to me jumped in with a saving response.

Ouch! Probably no one thinks much of it anyway, though. I'm surprised anyone expects you to be able to focus today. I know it's a bit of a luxury, but I am staying home today and just organizing my office, listening to music, and trying not to eat my way through this very long day. Hang in there, the wait is almost over! :thumbup:

Ouch! Probably no one thinks much of it anyway, though. I'm surprised anyone expects you to be able to focus today. I know it's a bit of a luxury, but I am staying home today and just organizing my office, listening to music, and trying not to eat my way through this very long day. Hang in there, the wait is almost over! :thumbup:

I doubt anyone noticed. Or, if they did, I doubt they cared. The room was full of interns (all of whom asked how I was holding up today), other practicum students (also waiting for tomorrow as nervously as I am) and psychologists who have already completed their internship and understand how stressful it is.

Still, it seemed to exemplify how little I have to provide today. At least I don't have clients on Thursdays, so I don't have to worry about the fact that I'm not able to be there for someone else.

I just wanted to pop on here now, while I can still write a coherent sentence, and wish everyone the best of luck!

ps-I feel like someone should yell out, "Let the hunger games begin!"

I just wanted to pop on here now, while I can still write a coherent sentence, and wish everyone the best of luck!

Thanks, good luck right back at ya! And scary analogy, wasn't thinking along those lines!

Hey, do you think we can hit 100 pages BEFORE the match? Crazy!

ps - your avatar and pinknyyy would go great together - cupcake and milk, yum!

Thanks, good luck right back at ya! And scary analogy, wasn't thinking along those lines!

Hey, do you think we can hit 100 pages BEFORE the match? Crazy!

ps - your avatar and pinknyyy would go great together - cupcake and milk, yum!

Scary analogy but spot on! I wish the movie was out already - I would so be there tonight followed by a cupcake gorge-a-thon! :D

THE BEST!!! One of my friends last night said "May the odds be ever in your favor..." hahah! Hunger games couldn't apply more.

Haha, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :laugh: APPIC match is not at all like the hunger games. I didn't win last year and I am still here to compete again AND the system still stands and I am not a rebel hero. And no genetically engineered animals have attacked me at any point. Maybe it's just me. :p

Haha, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. :laugh: APPIC match is not at all like the hunger games. I didn't win last year and I am still here to compete again AND the system still stands and I am not a rebel hero. And no genetically engineered animals have attacked me at any point. Maybe it's just me. :p

I think we found a super fan :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we found a super fan :D

Between us friends: To be honest, I preferred The Golden Compass etc. trilogy, haha. Weak ending/third to the hunger games.

Official statement: I work with kids and teens, I have to keep up with this stuff! Why else would I know Pokemon trivia?

I will now make dinner and have a few drinks, watch the Big Bang Theory, and play computer games like Civilization and the Sims so I can at least have a virtual feeling of control.

:luck:

Between us friends: To be honest, I preferred The Golden Compass etc. trilogy, haha. Weak ending/third to the hunger games.

Official statement: I work with kids and teens, I have to keep up with this stuff! Why else would I know Pokemon trivia?

I will now make dinner and have a few drinks, watch the Big Bang Theory, and play computer games like Civilization and the Sims so I can at least have a virtual feeling of control.

I seriously want to be your friend in real life :) Enjoy! And I hope you get what you want tomorrow.

Just popping in to wish you all luck... and to sincerely hope that you all have a raging fun night planned to keep your mind off of the jitters! :horns:

Classic. :thumbup:

This post made me smile so hard! I love that video games can help with our need for control! As for me I was a waste at practicum, most of my clients canceled today and could not focus long enough to write any note/report. About 14 hours left. I feel like I go from being okay to being overly excited to being depressed and anxious.

Good luck everyone! And remember to breath!

Haha, well I feel pretty darn popular right now. :D But I'm way cooler online than I am in person.

Just in time for The Big Bang Theory!

Good luck, everyone! :luck:

sooooooooooooooooo nervous. i cant concentrate on anything today and cant relax either :(
i didnt match last year when i was really confident that i would so now this year, even though i had 6 interviews and ranked 9 positions (one site had 4 tracks), i still feel unsure. i think im traumatized from last years results :( has anyone ever heard of anyone not matching 2 years in a row? i havent, and i sure dont want to be the first lol
i also am scared bc only 3 of my sites are local and i got married this year and reallllllllllllly dont feel like moving again. ahhhhhhhhhh this is so stressful. thought id vent, i guess if anyone understands its you guys.
good luck to everyone tomorrow :)

Ugh, so ready for this to be over. I'm cleaning the house and watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother in between. I think all of this anxiety has worn me out. That's probably a good thing because I think I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

@psydperson-- I haven't heard first-hand of anyone not matching 2 years in a row, but I have heard a couple people online say that it's happened to them. I can't remember the stats (they're listed somewhere on appic) but I think the number of folks that happens to is really really low. Good luck!

I'm really pulling for everyone here to get some good news tomorrow, especially those who are on their second go-round!!!

Good luck everyone! I am soooo anxious....but ready for this wait to be over!!!!!

I can tell everyone's getting really anxious on here, I am, too. As long as we've been waiting for this, it's actually amazing to me that we're this close to the finish line. Just watched a silly movie with friends, now have to find other entertainment for the next 12+ hours - maybe some sleep, too. Maybe bake some celebration brownies -- that can double as consolation brownies if needed?

I feel that time is moving so slow. I just want it to be morning so I can just know the results already!:barf:

has anyone ever heard of anyone not matching 2 years in a row? i havent, and i sure dont want to be the first lol

Good luck!

Stats that show you're not alone (match tomorrow or not):

(percent and n matched by # of times in the match, http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/ApplicantSurvey2011Part2.aspx)

11. Number of times participating in Match:

First time in Match Match rate = 81% n = 2460
Second time in Match Match rate = 69% n = 234
Third time in Match Match rate = 61% n = 18
Fourth time in Match Not Reported n = 5

I didn't match in Phase I or Phase II last year and I'm feeling 50/50 on whether I'll match tomorrow (haha, goes along with my 1 interview and chance of matching at about 52%) but I'm very happy to be moving on with life in the next month or two no matter what (quitting my program and starting a family OR matching and completing my degree).

Please post your results at some point in the next couple weeks, even/especially if you don't match. And please complete the survey (include any sites that didn't notify you by their deadlines as sites that didn't comply with match policies!).

For any lurkers out there, I didn't join until Phase II last year (if memory serves), even though I'd followed the forum since I was applying for grad school. :p The internship threads here are generally supportive and the posters in them are typically more understanding than the non-psych people in your lives, so join up if you want to share your news. :love:

Super awesome good luck to everyone :luck:

Ugh, so ready for this to be over. I'm cleaning the house and watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother in between. I think all of this anxiety has worn me out. That's probably a good thing because I think I'll be able to get some sleep tonight.

@psydperson-- I haven't heard first-hand of anyone not matching 2 years in a row, but I have heard a couple people online say that it's happened to them. I can't remember the stats (they're listed somewhere on appic) but I think the number of folks that happens to is really really low. Good luck!

I'm really pulling for everyone here to get some good news tomorrow, especially those who are on their second go-round!!!

Excellent choice of programming and thanks for the extra good vibes! I hope you get what you're hoping for tomorrow. :luck:

Watching Rifftrax of Harry Potter's 1-6 marathon. My favorite is still HP1, but the other rifftrax are also hilarious. This will get me through until tomorrow :)

Actually considering going to bed... will be curious to see if I can actually fall asleep... love hearing how everyone is spending their evening. There is nothing on TV and I can't concentrate on a movie, so that's out for me. Hope everyone can manage some sleep tonight! Sweet dreams!!

Good luck to everyone!! Sleep well tonight. Wishing you all happy news in the morning.

Good luck to everyone ! Regardless of what happens we are ALL WINNERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the main doctoral psych sdn forum, as someone started a new thread to wish us all good luck. :luck:

Haha I don't know, I have definitely invisioned the APPIC process as a "muttation" of some sort! It certainly seems inhuman at times.

Operation distraction has been pretty successful for me today. Stayed busy with clients, worked out with my hubby tonight, then watched a favorite TV program we'd recorded a few days ago. It worked! I'm feeling pretty relaxed and ready for sleep. Now, whether sleep comes and stays is a whole other question... :rolleyes:

Best of luck to everyone and I just want to say thank you to you all for sharing this stressful process with me. I had been absent from SDN for some time, and forgot how supportive the environment is here. I am grateful for that support from the people who understand this process better than anyone. :love:

Have the Phish dates been announced yet? I was hoping for a summer tour announcement/match day coincidentemente. 9 more hourrs!!!

All right, I am finally going to try to go to sleep. Best of luck to everyone out there! Sweet dreams!! :)

Good luck everybody. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of you! :)

:luck::xf:

I just wanted to wish everyone on here good luck. I don't know if/when I'll be logging on to SDN tomorrow, not sure if my processing will involve it. But I am sending good vibes out for everyone.

:xf:

Just popping in to say best of luck to everyone. As I mentioned in the Match Day thread, nearly everyone here has likely either been in your shoes in the recent past, is in your shoes now, or will be in your shoes in the near future, so we definitely can (or soon will) understand the gamut of emotions you're experiencing.

Did we decide to post match results in the Match Day thread? Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and search this one. :p Not that I've heard anything yet, obvs.

And yeah, I'm obsessively looking at my email.

God, shoot me now.

Didn't sleep at all and now have to go to externship and spread my stress and ill-tempered, sleep-deprived self on others.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Did we decide to post match results in the Match Day thread? Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and search this one. :p Not that I've heard anything yet, obvs.

I asked but I didn't see any responses. Let's just stay here, we've hung out here so much lately! :laugh:

I think I'm done with trying to sleep now...

I started waking at 5 - I swear my hubby was more restless than me. I gave up at 7.

Anyone else constantly hitting refresh on their e-mail already? AHHHH.

Not yet, but now that you mention it....:rolleyes:

I asked but I didn't see any responses. Let's just stay here, we've hung out here so much lately! :laugh:

I started waking at 5 - I swear my hubby was more restless than me. I gave up at 7.

Not yet, but now that you mention it....:rolleyes:

I totally just admonished my aunt for emailing and making me jump when my phone binged.