2012 Nontraditional Personal Statement Readers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dianyla

in denial
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This worked out so nicely last year I decided to start a fresh thread this year since there's been a fair bit of turnover. Reply on-thread or PM me to be added to the list. :)

General guidelines:
1. Give your readers plenty of time. This is universal to all PS readers, but is even more relevant for non-traditionals who tend to have busier and complex lives.
2. It's good practice to PM them first to see if they have time/bandwidth to read your PS and give you feedback. Don't just pick someone off this list and send a PM bomb.
3. It's very helpful if you can tell someone what kind of feedback you are seeking: i.e. general commentary, grammar/spelling/structure, thematic advice, etc.

Readers:

AGLAIA: "I have taken technical writing and am hyper-conscious about spelling, grammar, and flow. Grandma was a school teacher. ;)"

BigBoosting: "I'd like to help reading for MD/DO non-trads. I'll read for grammar and content, be honest, and throw in advice where I can, especially for those battling to overcome a low GPA. PM me for my e-mail address."

catswym: "I am also willing to help. MD/DO only, non-trad only. I'd say expect up to a week turnaround time but it will most likely be shorter.

PM me for my email address. I will be looking at mostly content."

Dianyla: "I'm non-traditional myself and will happily give feedback. I have a sharp eye for grammar but my real preference is in tone/content/interpretation. I am known for being brutally honest, so you've been warned. Need 2-3 weeks turnaround time. MD/DO only, non-traditional only. Note I have a new rule to make my life as a volunteer editor easier: Send me a PM to request my email address, and then put a copy (not the original) of your PS into Google docs and share this document with me."

drimpossible: Sign me up as a reader. I'm happy to help out. I have extensive experience working as a professional writer in life. Grammar is more of a gut feeling for me but my strength really lies in writing punchy copy that pops off the page. I was told by a few advising and admissions people that my PS was one of the best they'd ever read, and I believe that it got me interviews at institutions where my numbers alone couldn't have. In addition, I've read and edited half-a-dozen of my peers' personal statements over the past year.

familyaerospace: "I've published several journal articles and presented at several conferences. I was a copy editor for several years mostly for science non-profits. I've copy edited books, 300+ personal statements (college, med school, law and graduate), and have been a peer reviewer more than a few times.

I also have a blog entry on how to write a personal statement. Almost 2000 views. Most of the points directly mention most of the mistakes I've seen among statements I've read.

I generally do turn around in a few days, but I ask that you please give me a week if possible. I'm applying this cycle as well and when it comes time for secondaries, I will need a lot of time and when the secondaries come in, I might beg/ask to trade editing with me."

islabear: "I am willing to read personal statements (MD/DO, prefer non-trads) sent to me by PM."

mauberley: "I can review personal statements if anyone wants as well. My only real qualification in this context that I could point to is that I helped a friend with her PS and she later commented to me that an adcom member told her that her statement was especially well-written. (But I suppose that for all I know, she chucked my suggestions and had someone else help her. :laugh:)

I generally review technical documents, so I like to think I am a good judge of clarity. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. A note of caution -- I am mercilessly pedantic about spelling and grammar. ;) I'd anticipate an initial turnaround time of no longer than one week."

mommy2three: "i would be happy to do this again. md or do applicants only as that is the only application process i am familiar with. i have personal experience with reapplication status, addressing failing grades and the family issue so if anyone needs to address those i would be happy to look. i can give advice on grammer/content/flow as well as editing for character counts :) i can be honest and straightforward, no sugarcoating here. pm me for my email address. expect turnaround time to be a week or so depending on exam schedule."

PharMed2016: "Also, I don't mind helping out with PS but my specialty would probably be for content/flow. I have read a few PS during my time both for pharmacy and medical - beware... I can be brutal. "

QofQuimica: "First, for those of you who want your PS draft read, please be respectful of the readers. In particular, you should ask first before you send your PS along. Having some person I've never even spoken to before send me their PS without permission always makes a bad first impression on me. Also, please don't send your PS the day before you want to submit your app. Plan ahead--you should give your reader at least a week, preferably two, to read the PS.

Second, with those caveats, I am happy to sign up for the list. Credentials: besides having gotten into med school myself, I have been a student adcom for the last three years and have read hundreds of PS's, both on SDN and IRL.

Please do not ask me to read PSes for applications to other professional schools besides medical (MD or DO) schools. I don't have any experience whatsoever with the app process for dentistry, pharmacy, podiatry, or other health professions. If you are applying for one of these professions and would like to have someone read your essay, please contact one of the mods in the appropriate forum to find out who the knowledgeable PS readers in your field are. Sorry for any inconvenience this causes.

[...]can read essays during February through April."

Quik: "My experience includes editor of published Federal NEPA documents, "editor-in-chief" of finance market reports, and generally a tech writing nazi. Prefer MD/DO Non-trads, but if I have time don't mind proofing others. Expect a minimum of one week turn-around."

teddy bear doc: "I will be as honest as possible, hopefully without completely demoralizing the writer. :D I am nontrad myself, have been an informal writing tutor for a number of years, and have a background in language(s). I will proofread for grammar if need be, but also will comment on tone, structure, etc. 1-3 day turnaround estimate as of now."

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
May I PM you with mine? I am in need of help...

I've published several journal articles and presented at several conferences. I was a copy editor for several years mostly for science non-profits. I've copy edited books, 300+ personal statements (college, med school, law and graduate), and have been a peer reviewer more than a few times.

I also have a blog entry on how to write a personal statement. Almost 2000 views. Most of the points directly mention most of the mistakes I've seen among statements I've read.

I generally do turn around in a few days, but I ask that you please give me a week if possible. I'm applying this cycle as well and when it comes time for secondaries, I will need a lot of time and when the secondaries come in, I might beg/ask to trade editing with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can review personal statements if anyone wants as well. My only real qualification in this context that I could point to is that I helped a friend with her PS and she later commented to me that an adcom member told her that her statement was especially well-written. (But I suppose that for all I know, she chucked my suggestions and had someone else help her. :laugh:)

I generally review technical documents, so I like to think I am a good judge of clarity. I won't tell you what to write, but I will ask you what you're trying to tell me and I will in turn let you know if that message is coming through. A note of caution -- I am mercilessly pedantic about spelling and grammar. ;) I'd anticipate an initial turnaround time of no longer than one week.

When the secondaries come in, I would hope everyone's done with their personal statements. :)

I know a lot of people who either don't apply as early as they should or who ask the PS readers for help on secondaries.

Clearly my hope is misplaced.

It is. Oh how misplaced it is. I had someone from pre-allo asked me in October for help with a personal statement they were using to apply that cycle. :( I was like "Dude, can you even still submit an application??"

Also don't assume anyone can write well. I am convinced that my eyes started to bleed last year from all the poor writing.

Also don't assume anyone can write well. I am convinced that my eyes started to bleed last year from all the poor writing.

I definitely have no illusions about that. :laugh:

Of course, now I'm making anyone reading this feel utterly self-conscious and no one will want to send me their personal statements for review...

May I PM you with mine? I am in need of help...
I will not be able to look at it until late next week, otherwise go ahead.

familyaerospace and mauberley, I've added you! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'll offer myself up as well. I have taken technical writing and am hyper-conscious about spelling, grammar, and flow. Grandma was a school teacher. ;)

Thanks for volunteering, AGLAIA!

Dianyla, can you copy my blurb from last year for me? Pls add that I can read essays during February through April, and pls not to send any essays after that as I will be moving for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sign me up! I will be as honest as possible, hopefully without completely demoralizing the writer. :D I am nontrad myself, have been an informal writing tutor for a number of years, and have a background in language(s). I will proofread for grammar if need be, but also will comment on tone, structure, etc. 1-3 day turnaround estimate as of now.

familyaerospace can I send you my PS? I'm going to work on it this coming break in two weeks and should have it ready for you a few days after that if its okay. If anyone else is available, I would very much appreciate your time - thanks.

Also, I don't mind helping out with PS but my specialty would probably be for content/flow. I have read a few PS during my time both for pharmacy and medical - beware... I can be brutal.

Dianyla, can you copy my blurb from last year for me? Pls add that I can read essays during February through April, and pls not to send any essays after that as I will be moving for residency.
Done!
Also, I don't mind helping out with PS but my specialty would probably be for content/flow. I have read a few PS during my time both for pharmacy and medical - beware... I can be brutal.
Done!
Sign me up!
And done! Although I'm not sure whether your avatar is exactly reassuring to those in need of grammar/spelling assistance! :p

EDIT: Thank you to those who have sent me submissions. I'm not currently editing personal statements, although I'll let you know if that changes!

Last edited:
I am also willing to help. MD/DO only, non-trad only. I'd say expect up to a week turnaround time but it will most likely be shorter.

PM me for my email address. I will be looking at mostly content.

familyaerospace can I send you my PS? I'm going to work on it this coming break in two weeks and should have it ready for you a few days after that if its okay. If anyone else is available, I would very much appreciate your time - thanks.

It would have been easier if you would have PMed me. I check that when the message comes in, I don't always read all the threads. But yes

And done! Although I'm not sure whether your avatar is exactly reassuring to those in need of grammar/spelling assistance! :p

It helps me cope with the unwashed, non-grammatically-conscious masses, very much like this wonderful woman:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

To sum up, "... there is one grammatical mistake that I particularly enjoy encountering. It has become almost fun for me to come across people who take the phrase "a lot" and condense it down into one word, because when someone says 'alot' this is what I imagine. The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world." :thumbup:

To familyareospace:
Would it be possible for you to read my personal statement? Please let me know. I need help.

Seriously guys, if you want me to read a statement, you have to PM me and ask. That's not leaving a visitor message for me or commenting on my blog (I don't get notifications.) If you click on my user name, you will see something like "Send message" or "Send private message" just use that and ask. I generally will respond saying yes in a day or two, usually within hours.

From this point on if anyone asks me on this thread if I will read their statement, they will be ignored. They will have to PM me. Sorry, but I don't want the thread to be filled with requests to me. I would feel bad if I missed one and I don't want this to be the FA request thread.

Plus I promised my attending that I would limit my SDN forum activities for the next few months. Technically, he did not make me limit time spent in my PMs. ;)

(FA is a sneaky one, isn't he? LOL!)

I had a personal statement "flash" and ended up writing my PS the other night. After reviewing what I wrote, it sounds more like an economically disadvantaged statement... I guess its back to the drawing board. At least I'm starting early and trying to put a lot of thought into it...

My experience includes editor of published Federal NEPA documents, "editor-in-chief" of finance market reports, and generally a tech writing nazi. Prefer MD/DO Non-trads, but if I have time don't mind proofing others. Expect a minimum of one week turn-around.

Is there anyone around that can give me expedited help on a one-page personal statement type of essay?

Thanks!

Sign me up as a reader.
Done!
I am also willing to help.
Done!
Expect a minimum of one week turn-around.
And done!

Thanks you guys!

It helps me cope with the unwashed, non-grammatically-conscious masses, very much like this wonderful woman:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html
I love Hyperbole and a Half! Especially the dog post! :laugh:

Done!

I love Hyperbole and a Half! Especially the dog post! :laugh:

Me too! My dogs are totally like that too, lol! Have you read the archives (e.g. "Allie starts her moon time"? If not you should! :thumbup:

Is there anyone around that can give me expedited help on a one-page personal statement type of essay?

Thanks!

I'm bored, send it...

[QuikR12] at aol.com

Can someone look at my PS in the next few weeks?

Can someone look at my PS in the next few weeks?
I could do that. send it to [QuikR12] at aol dot com, and pm me when you send it pls.

I'd like to help reading for MD/DO non-trads. I'll read for grammar and content, be honest, and throw in advice where I can, especially for those battling to overcome a low GPA. PM me for my e-mail address.

i would be happy to do this again. md or do applicants only as that is the only application process i am familiar with. i have personal experience with reapplication status, addressing failing grades and the family issue so if anyone needs to address those i would be happy to look.

i can give advice on grammer/content/flow as well as editing for character counts :)
i can be honest and straightforward, no sugarcoating here

pm me for my email address. expect turnaround time to be a week or so depending on exam schedule.

good luck to all :)

Hi. I don't post often (since I can usually find anything I need to know by searching), but I'd like to know if anyone is interested in reading my PS? I'll send it to whoever wants to critique it, and I'd very much appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am willing to read personal statements (MD/DO, prefer non-trads) sent to me by PM.

I've added BigBoosting, mommy2three, and islabear to the list. Thanks for volunteering guys! :)

I am not sure how this works but I am trying to seek as much feedback as possible in regards to my personal statement / resume.

I would be incredibly appreciative of anyone willing to offer any critiques.

Thank you kindly.

I am not sure how this works but I am trying to seek as much feedback as possible in regards to my personal statement / resume.

I would be incredibly appreciative of anyone willing to offer any critiques.

Thank you kindly.

you contact one to several of the people in the first post to see if they will read your PS. If they agree you then send it to them and they will send you their comments/ revisions.

Bumping this up for those of you who are looking for PS readers.

I have received several PMs recently asking me to read PSes. Unfortunately, I cannot read them right now, as I'm in the midst of packing, moving, buying a new car, and dealing with my family coming for graduation (not necessarily in that order!). However, there are a bunch of people on this list who are available and would be happy to help. (If I have already agreed to help you, then I still will, but you should expect delays. :hungover:)

In addition, I want to comment about a trend that is bothering me, which is the sudden bunch of requests for PS help that I have been getting from people with a post count of zero. That's not right. If you have reached the point in your med school journey where you are writing your PS, then you are far enough along that you can (and should) help others with their questions on the things you have already done, such as prereqs, ECs, MCAT prep, etc. Our community won't survive if some people only take while others are expected to do all of the giving.

In addition, I want to comment about a trend that is bothering me, which is the sudden bunch of requests for PS help that I have been getting from people with a post count of zero. That's not right. If you have reached the point in your med school journey where you are writing your PS, then you are far enough along that you can (and should) help others with their questions on the things you have already done, such as prereqs, ECs, MCAT prep, etc. Our community won't survive if some people only take while others are expected to do all of the giving.

This is a concern; mafunk mentioned that this could easily be some "editing service" that is charging premeds a fee to edit their PS and then farming the work out through these lists of readers.

I'll read, but if your post count is 0 (or low) you will have to convince me that you're not leeching off the service. And like Q said, you should start contributing to these boards. Here is the blurb that I put in the pre-allo list. I have finals this week so if you send me a PS in the next few days, my turn around will be slower.

medzealot | I am getting bombarded with statements, so know that if you have zero (or low) post count on SDN, I am going to prioritize your statement below those who are actively contributing to our community. That said, I've read a lot of personal statements, and my strengths as an editor are:
  • Helping you get under 5300 characters
  • Telling you the truth about whether or not your personal statement is heinous
  • Relentlessly castrating your dangling prepositions
  • Correcting other, more important grammatical problems
  • Improving flow
My qualifications:
  • My high school English teachers were outrageously good.
  • I have a fair amount of editing experience.
  • I have scored in the eleventy-billionth percentile on all standardized English/Verbal/AP Composition tests and subtests, except for the English portion of the CAT test in second grade, on which I scored in the paltry 99th percentile. I'm pretty sure the scantron machine that graded my test was a communist.
  • I'm old. Old people should have their essays read by other old people.
My requests are simple. Tell me how you want me to help you improve your essay (grammar, content, flow, etc.). Along with your PS, send me a couple of sentences describing who you are as a person, and what message you want to send adcoms through your PS. If you have no (or low) post count on sdn, I will scrutinize this information, but as long as you seem like you are using this service in a legitimate fashion, I will read for you. If your writing is so bad that I put your PS in Google Translator and it spits out something like "I found a Taco Bell wrapper in my underwear drawer," I will not read for you. If English is not your first language, tell me that upfront so I don't think you're screwing with me.

Last edited:
n3xa | Non-trad pre-med pursuing a second career in medicine after spending nearly 10 years in academic research (organic chemistry). | Pros: trimming the fat to get the PS to fit the 5300 character limit, quick turnaround time (generally 3 days tops). | Requests: please ask first via pm. PM'ing me your PS without asking = heads will roll

Last edited:
This is a concern; mafunk mentioned that this could easily be some "editing service" that is charging premeds a fee to edit their PS and then farming the work out through these lists of readers.
I hadn't even considered this possibility--if this is occurring, that makes it even more reprehensible. :thumbdown:

Pons, are you able to edit Dianyla's post, or do you need me to do it? If it's the latter, I'd really appreciate you compiling the most current info together, and then I can just insert it into the OP.

I hadn't even considered this possibility--if this is occurring, that makes it even more reprehensible. :thumbdown:

Pons, are you able to edit Dianyla's post, or do you need me to do it? If it's the latter, I'd really appreciate you compiling the most current info together, and then I can just insert it into the OP.
I'll compile it and send it to you to insert.

Q, would it be possible for us to create a list of whose statements we've read in an effort to prevent these low-post accounts from passing around multiple different statements?

I wouldn't want to list usernames in any way that resembles a "call-out" or something against the TOS.

Q, would it be possible for us to create a list of whose statements we've read in an effort to prevent these low-post accounts from passing around multiple different statements?

I wouldn't want to list usernames in any way that resembles a "call-out" or something against the TOS.
I appreciate where you're trying to go with this idea, but I don't think we could do that without violating those members' privacy. We don't want to turn this into a witch hunt, either. It's entirely possible that a legit applicant could write more than one PS version and ask for feedback on both.

Those of you who are readers will have to set your own policy on this. As a volunteer, you should feel free to refuse to read any PS for any reason at your discretion. Like I said above, the fact that users with zero post count are taking from our community without giving anything back is reason enough for me to prioritize them lower in the queue of PSes that I would agree to read, or even to not read them at all. Others of you may not be as bothered about this, especially if you're only getting an occasional reading request and not dozens of them. It's entirely your call.

When you get this list updated for 11-12, you may add me if you wish. I've been editing PS's in the general forums now for a while and am happy to contribute to the non-trad community. Here is my copy/pasted info from the other thread.

taylormade2006 | Incoming non-trad MS1 pursuing a second career in medicine, although my prior work experience was in a medically related field. Multiple (4) bio related degrees. | Willing to help edit content and flow. I do not recommend myself for grammar checking. I am direct and to the point. I can accept almost all formats, including mac .pages documents. Please don't send pdf because I can't easily edit the text on a pdf.

hey you all rock. I PMed a number of you to see interest. I am in no giant hurry, I know it is a rough time and you are all getting hammered, and I also am hoping to make one PS for MD and DO so I am just under 4500 characters. thanks.

I can be a reader.

My Qualifications: 10+ years as a marketing/pr veteran, writing copy for web and printed newspaper. I am a premed student, and have not yet applied or been accepted anywhere.

My Terms:
If you want me to read your PS you have to have a history of contributing to the SDN community. I do not have time to read for anyone with an extremely low post history.