2013-14 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochemist21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's premature, but I thought I might as well get a new thread up and running for new application cycle this year (maybe it's just my Anesthesia Sub.I's that have me giddy to get the process started :laugh: ).

In past years there were separate threads started for applications, interviews, and ROLs. I thought this year it might be helpful to at least combine the first two?

Anyway, ERAS is open and submission time will be upon us before we know it. This thread can be a useful place for us to discuss the application process and questions about individual institutions. If you have any specific knowledge regarding specific programs (ie. it's your home institution or you're one of the many valued contributing attendings/residents on this forum), then I'm sure everyone would appreciate your personalized input.

Thanks and I hope to see some of you on the interview trail!

EDIT:
2013-14 Internship Forum
2013-14 Prelim/TY Thread
2012-13 Anesthesia Interview Thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Very nice! I'll be applying this cycle... starting to wade through the pain that is ERAS now. Also very excited about my sub-I... Having a blast! I'll be doing an away in Denver next month.

Home program is University of Kansas if anybody has any questions, feel free to ask!

Do most prelim/TY programs offer phone interviews? And if a program has an advanced and categorical position those are two different application fees, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't offered any phone interviews and I didn't hear anyone on the interview trail have any either but I may be wrong.

As for cost, applying advanced and categorical to the same program costs the same as just applying to one of them... so in my opinion there's no reason not to check the box for both as you never know what you will want and can always leave it off the ROL come rank time

Do most prelim/TY programs offer phone interviews? And if a program has an advanced and categorical position those are two different application fees, right?

I had 1/7 TY offer me a Skype interview.

If a program has advanced and categorical spots it counts as one application for fees.

Prelims offer phone interviews?! Wow, I might even be able to pay for residency apps AND eat :laugh:

I wasn't offered any phone interviews and I didn't hear anyone on the interview trail have any either but I may be wrong.

As for cost, applying advanced and categorical to the same program costs the same as just applying to one of them... so in my opinion there's no reason not to check the box for both as you never know what you will want and can always leave it off the ROL come rank time

I've talked to several residents who've told me that they only applied to categorical programs due to the cost/effort of moving twice with an advanced program (they all had families). I'm sure only a minority of applicants fall into this situation, but it does happen. Personally, I like to think of a prelim year as a fun opportunity to explore a different city for a year. Plus, I figure that exposure to more hospital systems and more ways of doing things can only help me to "think outside the box" for my career.

I've talked to several residents who've told me that they only applied to categorical programs due to the cost/effort of moving twice with an advanced program (they all had families). I'm sure only a minority of applicants fall into this situation, but it does happen. Personally, I like to think of a prelim year as a fun opportunity to explore a different city for a year. Plus, I figure that exposure to more hospital systems and more ways of doing things can only help me to "think outside the box" for my career.

For me, it really depended on my SO. If you're single and have no ties, then I'd recommend exploring a new city. The opportunities that one has to uproot and move on a whim like that decrease with time. That is if you can afford the 1.) cost of moving, 2.) cost of the new city (rent, bills, food, etc.). Since I had a SO, if I took them with me to a new city for my intern year and moved again for my advanced program, that would mean she would have to put a hold on her career because she would know that she would be leaving in only one year. This would have been selfish on my part. If your SO has limited ties to specific locations and isn't as interested in career-building, then moving several times is not as big of a deal.

My suggestion if you don't want to move twice: apply to all the categoricals and advanced programs you want, regardless of location. Then apply to all the local prelim/TY programs so you won't have to move twice. This worked out well for me.

Talking the entire process through with your SO can also make the transition much smoother for them so they feel included and feel as if they have some control over where they are going. This will save you much headache later. Trust me.

Prelims offer phone interviews?! Wow, I might even be able to pay for residency apps AND eat :laugh:

That will be me this year (family of four, wife loves to craft, kids spoiled by grandparents=alot of crap to move....for reference I need a semi-truck to move....or two 26 footers and the expense that incurs makes categorical sound like the way to go. By the way I am at UTMB, feel free to PM for any questions about my home program as well.

Haha I was counting on more TY programs doing phone/Skype interviews. It doesn't seem cost-effective to book a $1,000 flight for a prelim program, but I'd bet not matching (God forbid) would have me thinking otherwise.

Have you guys all gotten your LORs submitted? I've got 2 attendings who want me to email them my application and I'm still searching for another 2.

Haha I was counting on more TY programs doing phone/Skype interviews. It doesn't seem cost-effective to book a $1,000 flight for a prelim program, but I'd bet not matching (God forbid) would have me thinking otherwise.

Have you guys all gotten your LORs submitted? I've got 2 attendings who want me to email them my application and I'm still searching for another 2.

I didn't have any phone interviews last year.

With how many dates anesthesia programs offer, it is not too difficult to line up prelims and advanced interviews near each at similar times so that you only have to fly out to a city once.

Just curious....how many programs are you all aiming to apply to? I know this will range greatly, but just wondering. Our school tells us 20-25.

Just curious....how many programs are you all aiming to apply to? I know this will range greatly, but just wondering. Our school tells us 20-25.

I was also told 20 by my school... I think my list as it stands now is 17 - its a good mix of programs so i think ill leave it there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also told 20 by my school... I think my list as it stands now is 17 - its a good mix of programs so i think ill leave it there.
My list is at 30 right now...mostly because I can't decide where I want to live...I have programs in just about every region....gonna try to slim it down, but we'll see.

in the process of finalizing my list right now. 72. but im a DO... and the unpredictability of the acgme/aoa politics right now are making me lean towards over-applying.

I'll be participating in the Match this cycle as well. My home program is MU and I'm happy to answer any questions about Mizzou and Columbia, MO. Feel free to hit me up.

Anybody know how concrete any minimum step 1 requirements (listed on FREIDA) are? In other words...if you are close to the stated cutoff, is there any utility in applying or is an automatic no? Anyone from past cycles want to chime in?

Anybody know how concrete any minimum step 1 requirements (listed on FREIDA) are? In other words...if you are close to the stated cutoff, is there any utility in applying or is an automatic no? Anyone from past cycles want to chime in?

Call the programs and ask them directly. I imagine it will vary between programs. A classmate of mine talked with one program and their stated cutoff on FREIDA was posted with their mean score, not their cutoff, in error. If you are really interested, give 'em a buzz.

My ERAS fees are quickly getting out of hand with all the transitional and prelim programs I'm clicking on.

I'm wondering if I can wait to see if an advanced program offers me an interview, then apply for their prelim IM. Would they let me interview just once for both?

My ERAS fees are quickly getting out of hand with all the transitional and prelim programs I'm clicking on.

I'm wondering if I can wait to see if an advanced program offers me an interview, then apply for their prelim IM. Would they let me interview just once for both?
I know what you mean about those fees. I'm at 88 anesthesiology, 18 prelim IM, 11 TY and 10 surgery.

As for your question, Stellar Clouds mentioned earlier that with the amount of dates offered by programs its not hard to line up prelims on the same day. If you mean interviewing just once though, then it would probably depend on the institution. Most prelim IM and advanced anesthesiology programs aren't controlled by the same people, so I guess you'd have to speak with both of them separately.

Is everybody doing different personal statements for the prelim spots?

I wasn't going to, but after looking around I just added a paragraph to the end of my personal statement unique for TY/Surgery/Medicine

Thanks, anybody else have any feedback? I really don't want to write a couple new personal statements about prelim years... :)

Thanks, anybody else have any feedback? I really don't want to write a couple new personal statements about prelim years... :)

from what I gathered, most people either used their anesthesia PS or just modified a paragraph or two.

Is everybody doing different personal statements for the prelim spots?
I'm just using my anesthesiology PS. I considered adding a line or two about medicine, but I won't be.I figure they know that I'm applying for a prelim and thus have interests elsewhere.

I modified my closing paragraph with a few sentences about what I want to achieve in internship. I wrote a slightly different one for IM vs. transitional, but now I'm not sure which one to use at programs that have both a TY and an IM prelim. I figure I should apply to both because if I get the TY interview, chances are they'd let me rank the prelim IM spots too without a separate interview, right?

Is it going to be bad if all my LORs come from anesthesiologists? I only managed to work with anesthesiologists during my rotations in the US but I see that most people provide more than one specialty.

Is it going to be bad if all my LORs come from anesthesiologists? I only managed to work with anesthesiologists during my rotations in the US but I see that most people provide more than one specialty.

All my letters were from gas guys.

I didn't modify my PS for the prelim/TY programs. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but come on they know you aren't trying to be a career prelim physician. They know you are applying to get the required year before you go on to what you really want.

Also, as long as you have ATLEAST one Anesthesia letter I think you'll be fine. Hell, one of mine was an OB letter. Use the ones you think will be the best letters. I knew my OB attending loved me, so I sent it.

IUse the ones you think will be the best letters.

Yep. At least one should be from an anesthesiologist, but beyond that, use the best ones you have. When I applied, back when LORs were delivered by attaching them to passing dinosaurs and the oath was still administered by Hippocrates himself, I think 2 of the 4 I ended up using were anesthesiologists.

If you have a strong LOR from a program where you did a visiting rotation, and you're applying to that program, then of course you want to include it there.

Good luck today, everybody. It'll be interesting to see if interviews start being offered before the deans letter goes out.

Good luck to you too RT2MD and to all the other applicants as well!

Getting ready to submit my apps as soon as the NRMP website stops acting up. You'd think with all the tons of money they take in they'd be able to afford better servers.

Just as long as I can get it all done in time for football I'll be fine though. Can't think of a better way to start the interview season than rooting for the Bears.

Oh boy. Hitting that certify button definitely got my heart rate up a bit. I hope the program directors are generous with their invites this year!

Based on last year's thread it looks like the first invites are at least a week or 2 away. Good luck to everyone!!

Is it super important to apply to prelims? I only applied to the ones which were an extra check box on a program I was already applying to... which was like 2-3.

For me, it really depended on my SO. If you're single and have no ties, then I'd recommend exploring a new city. The opportunities that one has to uproot and move on a whim like that decrease with time. That is if you can afford the 1.) cost of moving, 2.) cost of the new city (rent, bills, food, etc.). Since I had a SO, if I took them with me to a new city for my intern year and moved again for my advanced program, that would mean she would have to put a hold on her career because she would know that she would be leaving in only one year. This would have been selfish on my part. If your SO has limited ties to specific locations and isn't as interested in career-building, then moving several times is not as big of a deal.

My suggestion if you don't want to move twice: apply to all the categoricals and advanced programs you want, regardless of location. Then apply to all the local prelim/TY programs so you won't have to move twice. This worked out well for me.

Talking the entire process through with your SO can also make the transition much smoother for them so they feel included and feel as if they have some control over where they are going. This will save you much headache later. Trust me.

Great advice, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Didn't think programs had enough time to start offering rejections lol. Medical College of Georgia sent me this:
Thank you for your interest in the Department of Anesthesiology &
Perioperative Medicine residency program at the Georgia Regents University.
We have received a great number of applications and have had to limit the
number of interviews. We are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to
schedule an interview for you at this time. We wish you the best of luck in
your career.

Are we allowed to post up interview dates for everyone else to see?

Based on last year's thread it looks like the first invites are at least a week or 2 away. Good luck to everyone!!

I got two in-state interviews based on step score and location on this day one year ago. I got my third interview [in state] on the thursday equivalent last year. But I assumed that all of those were based on numbers and location. The "reviewed your application and letters completely" interviews are probably going to be deployed in a couple of weeks. Just sit back and enjoy watching the programs download your stuff on ADTS.

Is it super important to apply to prelims? I only applied to the ones which were an extra check box on a program I was already applying to... which was like 2-3.

Yes. IIRC last year approximately 1/3 of all spots were advanced, and sprinkled in different distributions among programs. Unless you want to cut out potentially matching at 1/3 of spots, I would apply to more prelims. With that said, there are people that only apply to categorical spots each year and match just fine. My reasoning for applying advanced too was that I wanted the option of being considered for all the spots at a given program if I were to fall in love with a program on the interview trail.

Case and point, I ended up at a program I loved... with 100% advanced spots.

Didn't think programs had enough time to start offering rejections lol. Medical College of Georgia sent me this:

Don't get discouraged. You want to go to a program that considers its applicants completely and actually wants you there. If it was a rejection indeed based on IMG status instead of some other red flag, I'm sure you applied to a ton of programs and still have a ton of schools that havent even started downloading applications.

Are we allowed to post up interview dates for everyone else to see?

Last year there was a thread for it. Some programs have online scheduling where any interviewee can see all the dates that were initially offered, otherwise you get emailed a some dates that are still available. Assuming you got interview offers today, I would go ahead and start that thread. [or just start the list of programs here].

I got two in-state interviews based on step score and location on this day one year ago. I got my third interview [in state] on the thursday equivalent last year. But I assumed that all of those were based on numbers and location. The "reviewed your application and letters completely" interviews are probably going to be deployed in a couple of weeks. Just sit back and enjoy watching the programs download your stuff on ADTS.

Didn't last years apps get submitted on the1st though? Or do you mean "this day one year ago" as in the day after you submitted?

This is how they did it last year. Each person copied the previous posting of this and added their user name to it when they got an interview and at which school. We could replicate this or use x's or dates...

alabama:
uab:
arizona:
University of Arizona:
Mayo AZ:
arkansas:
University of Arkansas:
california:
uc irvine:
usc:
ucla:
harbor:
ucsf:
cedars-sinai:
loma linda:
uc davis:
Stanford:
UCSD:
colorado:
U of Colorado:
connecticut:
uconn:
yale:
district of columbia:
george washington:
florida:
u of florida:
u of miami-jmh:
mayo-jacksonville :
georgia:
emory:
medical college of georgia:
illinois:
northwestern university:
loyola:
rush:
uic:
U of Chicago:
indiana:
U of Indiana:
iowa:
iowa:
kansas:
university of kansas-kc:
university of kansas-wichita:
kentucky:
u of kentucky:
u of louisville:
louisiana:
lsu shreveport:
Ochsner Medical Center:
tulane:
maine:
Maine:
maryland:
u of maryland:
JHU:
massachusetts:
baystate:
boston:
umass:
BIDMC:
brigham & women's:
mgh:
st. elizabeth's (caritas cristi):
michigan:
wayne state:
beaumont:
henry ford:
u of michigan:
minnesota:
mayo-rochester:
u of mn:
mississippi:
university of mississippi:
missouri:
slu:
washington university:
U of M at Columbia:
UMKC/St.Lukes:
nebraska:
UNMC:
new hampshire:
dartmouth:
new jersey:
cooper:
st. barnabas:
st. Joseph's regional medical:
umdnj-njms:
umdnj-rwj:
new mexico:
u of new mexico:
new york:
albany:
albert einstein:
brookdale Hospital:
columbia university:
cornell:
maimonides:
mt.sinai:
new york university:
nymc:
u of rochester:
st. luke's:
stony brook:
suny-buffalo:
suny-downstate:
suny-upstate:
north carolina:
unc:
duke:
Wake Forest:
ohio:
ohio state university:
case western (metrohealth):
u of toledo:
case western:
cleveland clinic:
oklahoma:
u of oklahoma:
oregon:
ohsu:
pennsylvania:
allegheny:
drexel:
jefferson:
penn state:
temple:
university of pennsylvania:
u of pittsburgh:
south carolina:
musc:
tennessee:
vanderbilt:
u of tennessee:
texas:
baylor:
texas a&m:
texas tech:
ut houston:
ut san antonio:
utmb:
ut southwestern:
utah:
utah:
vermont:
uvm:
virginia:
uva:
vcu:
washington:
u of washington:
Virginia Mason:
west virginia:
wvu:
wisconsin:
mcw:
U of Wisc:

Don't get discouraged. You want to go to a program that considers its applicants completely and actually wants you there. If it was a rejection indeed based on IMG status instead of some other red flag, I'm sure you applied to a ton of programs and still have a ton of schools that havent even started downloading applications.
I'm fairly certain that was the reason they sent it out as I think I've got a fairly competitive application. I'm also surprisingly fine with their email, but that might be because MCG was one of my flagged programs. Pretty sure they didn't fill their program last year.

This is how they did it last year. Each person copied the previous posting of this and added their user name to it when they got an interview and at which school. We could replicate this or use x's or dates...

Best move might be to keep this thread for interviews received and start another one with interview dates.