2013-14 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an invite from St. Lukes-Roosevelt just before Christmas and am expecting an invite from bump after speaking with the PD (they rejected me soon after I turned in my app in October). PM me if you want to know how I reversed bump.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone get any last minute invites this month so far?
I got an invite from St. Lukes-Roosevelt just before Christmas and am expecting an invite from bump after speaking with the PD (they rejected me soon after I turned in my app in October). PM me if you want to know how I reversed bump.

Last edited:
I got off the waitlist at a program on 12/19/13, others may be as fortunate also.

I got an invite from St. Lukes-Roosevelt just before Christmas and am expecting an invite from Mt. Sinai after speaking with the PD (they rejected me soon after I turned in my app in October). PM me if you want to know how I reversed Mt. Sinai.

Cognitus, I can't PM you. Can you message me, or just post it here? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got off the waitlist at a program on 12/19/13, others may be as fortunate also.

Cognitus, I can't PM you. Can you message me, or just post it here? Thanks!

Same. I'm curious to hear but unable to PM you.

BTW, when do interviews stop? Do they go into February?

My classmate got an interview at his projected #1 program on 1/10 after sending a passionate (and quite aggressive) email to the PD. At this point I think it pays to throw everything at them. The worst that they can do is not give you an interview, in which case you're back to where you started.

I know what you mean about those fees. I'm at 88 anesthesiology, 18 prelim IM, 11 TY and 10 surgery.

As for your question, Stellar Clouds mentioned earlier that with the amount of dates offered by programs its not hard to line up prelims on the same day. If you mean interviewing just once though, then it would probably depend on the institution. Most prelim IM and advanced anesthesiology programs aren't controlled by the same people, so I guess you'd have to speak with both of them separately.
Applying to over 100? How much does that cost?

This is a long shot, but anyone interviewing at Temple on the 24th and willing to swap for the 27th? I would highly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a long shot, but anyone interviewing at Temple on the 24th and willing to swap for the 27th? I would highly appreciate it!

I hope you are able to find a swap, good luck! I stayed and hung out by there when I went to Philly for Step 2 CS. Now, I am used to some of the rough neighborhoods in the west and south sides of Chicago... the area around Temple was similar to worse. And I've heard that the Temple residents echo that as well. Do be careful!

Does anyone have suggestions about texas programs? precisely UT-houston. Any thing a person ranking them probably no 1 should know about that may have been left out during interview.. thanks. ANYTHING at all is appreciated.

I hope you are able to find a swap, good luck! I stayed and hung out by there when I went to Philly for Step 2 CS. Now, I am used to some of the rough neighborhoods in the west and south sides of Chicago... the area around Temple was similar to worse. And I've heard that the Temple residents echo that as well. Do be careful!
Thanks! Appreciate the tip :)

Reactions: 1 user
My classmate got an interview at his projected #1 program on 1/10 after sending a passionate (and quite aggressive) email to the PD. At this point I think it pays to throw everything at them. The worst that they can do is not give you an interview, in which case you're back to where you started.

I was sent a late interview invite on Jan 2 after an aggressive email campaign. Totally worth the effort on my part, considering ranking it #1. Like many others have said, the worst thing that will happen is you still won't have an interview. Sometimes it works! You never know. Oh, and do not forget to email the department/interview coordinator. Don't just go after the PD who is usually a busy person with less time to respond than office staff. Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited:
in trying to schedule 4th year, I see most of the interviews were during october? do most schools give broad choices or specific set of dates? specifically tx schools. Im trying schedule my flex/interview motnhs..thanks!

in trying to schedule 4th year, I see most of the interviews were during october? do most schools give broad choices or specific set of dates? specifically tx schools. Im trying schedule my flex/interview motnhs..thanks!

Very school dependent. Interviews don't start until about mid to late October and run through late January. Schools will generally contact you and offer you the interview dates they have slots available for, though some will only offer you one of a few selections. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific knowledge of the TX schools, so someone else will have to fill you in.

If you're applying to a large number of schools, be prepared to be mostly booked for months on end. I think I did 2-3 interviews per week for most of the stretch from mid-October to mid-December.

I did all my TX interviews in November. There were dates into December and January for most programs. IIRC, San Antonio only had dates in November though