2013-2014 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the calming thoughts! I know that even places with one track can sometimes send out invites in batches, but it's hard to extend that knowledge into actual calmness! Heh. You'd think, being a therapist, that I could put my own advice into practice. Clearly, you'd be wrong. :)
I'm pretty sure this whole process is just one giant test to see how much we've learned about anxiety and mindfulness in grad school!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure this whole process is just one giant test to see how much we've learned about anxiety and mindfulness in grad school!

I've always joked with classmates that grad school itself is one big psych experiment. One terribly cruel psych experiment if we don't get doctorates at the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on all the interviews! I'm still waiting here, but it seems that a lot of university counseling centers tend to send out notifications towards the end. (That doesn't make me like it but it makes me slightly less stressed.)

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes. As a practitioner of DBT, it gives me the opportunity to practice nonjudgmental acceptance and distress tolerance skills...

A friend and I always refer to negative life events as "great opportunities to practice distress tolerance." :)

This. So much this. Silver lining, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on all the interviews! I'm still waiting here, but it seems that a lot of university counseling centers tend to send out notifications towards the end. (That doesn't make me like it but it makes me slightly less stressed.)

I'm in the same boat. I only applied to one site that isn't a counseling center. From past years, it seems like we will be waiting until the middle of December.

Mass e-mail from Rush University (Health Psychology Track) today!!! Interview dates are January 8, 9, 10, 13, & 14.

Utah State Hospital via email 11/15. Interview dates: December 9, 10, 11

University of Chicago (Child/Neuropsych track) interview invite via email! :)

I also applied to all university counseling centers. I am on the same boat with you on this one!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to all university counseling centers. I am on the same boat with you on this one!

Well then I hope we both get very good news and that they don't wait until the last second to tell us!! :)

My cohortmate applied to UCCs last year and she didn't really hear from any of them until December. So, yeah, just keep on trucking along!

University of Chicago - Adult/Health Track, invitation via mass email. Interview dates 1/3; 1/10; 1/17; 1/24

Congrats, unibrau! I take it that you received the email today? If so, I didn't know that people could get notifications during the weekend!

I did get it this morning... sorry for not including that in my last post :/

Congrats, unibrau! I take it that you received the email today? If so, I didn't know that people could get notifications during the weekend!

I think it's more common as the deadline approaches, but yep, notifications can definitely come at all sorts of times (e.g., weekends, late at night, etc.).

I feel like we should actually hear from a lot of sites today! That is probably not the case and I have to remind myself it's still early but this last weekend seemed like the LONGEST weekend (especially with friends and family asking me "Have you heard anything yet? When will you hear?) Ugh!

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like we should actually hear from a lot of sites today! That is probably not the case and I have to remind myself it's still early but this last weekend seemed like the LONGEST weekend (especially with friends and family asking me "Have you heard anything yet? When will you hear?) Ugh!

I know they mean well, but it's maddening! Especially the ones who don't really get the process. I'm not looking forward to going home for Thanksgiving and have family members ask, "when do you pick which internship you are going to?" If ONLY it worked that way!!

Just ducking in to hopefully reassure some UCC applicants about the timeline. Remember that this is the time of the semester when cyclical academic stress levels + semester slump set in for everyone (students and faculty!). Add to this a late Thanksgiving break, and it's not surprising that the UCC staff, including the internship admissions folks, are no doubt swamped with work and also exhausted themselves. You probably want them to take a Thxgiving breather and then invite all you outstanding applicants :). Good luck!

Just ducking in to hopefully reassure some UCC applicants about the timeline. Remember that this is the time of the semester when cyclical academic stress levels + semester slump set in for everyone (students and faculty!). Add to this a late Thanksgiving break, and it's not surprising that the UCC staff, including the internship admissions folks, are no doubt swamped with work and also exhausted themselves. You probably want them to take a Thxgiving breather and then invite all you outstanding applicants :). Good luck!

Thank you! On a similar note, I know that Miami VAMC supervisors are asked to turn in their list of interviewee recommendations (Interview: Yes, No, Maybe) by December 2nd so please don't fret if you don't hear from them earlier. Good Luck everyone!

I also feel like we're going to hear from a lot of places today (at least the ones with Nov 1 deadlines). We'll see though!

I'm also hoping to hear from sites today! though realistically I'm thinking the majority will come after turkey day.

Had a dream last night that I got an e-mail invitation, called my husband to tell him and as I was talking the e-mail changed into a rejection.... haha.

I'm also hoping to hear from sites today! though realistically I'm thinking the majority will come after turkey day.

Had a dream last night that I got an e-mail invitation, called my husband to tell him and as I was talking the e-mail changed into a rejection.... haha.
I am also dreaming about this process! I've had a couple of dreams that it was match day and all six of us (applying form my program) got matched to our top choices!

Funny, I dreamed that I got an interview and then went to said interview and totally screwed it up. ;)

Interview offered at Utah State Hospital via email 11/18. As previous poster said, dates are Dec. 9, 10, and 11.

Interview offered at Vanderbilt VA Consortium (Neuropsychology track) via email (11/18) .Offered interview dates are Dec. 5, Dec. 16 and Jan. 10.

Interview offered at Vanderbilt VA Consortium (Neuropsychology track) via email (11/18) .Offered interview dates are Dec. 5, Dec. 16 and Jan. 10.

Congrats! Was neuro track invite personalized? Thanks!

This! In a fit of too much free time, I went through to look at last year's post, and some of my sites notified people as early as 11/20. I'm hoping they do the same or earlier this year!

This! In a fit of too much free time, I went through to look at last year's post, and some of my sites notified people as early as 11/20. I'm hoping they do the same or earlier this year!

I did the exact same thing :) All mine were the first or second week of December. Long waiting period!!

I did the exact same thing :) All mine were the first or second week of December. Long waiting period!!

I also did the same thing. The earliest from last year with my sites was 11/27. Then the rest were first week and second week of December. Long wait.........

I wish mine were all later, then I could relax a bit. But some of mine notified 11/15 in past years (because I am *just* obsessive enough to have checked several years' forums), so I am on tenterhooks waiting to see when they'll notify this year...

I also did the same thing. The earliest from last year with my sites was 11/27. Then the rest were first week and second week of December. Long wait.........

I did that as well, but then I heard back from a site earlier than the dates given last year. But then some have been later since their dates would have passed already. It's really throwing me off!

I'm also wondering if we won't hear much this week because of ABCT--a lot of the sites I applied to are pretty involved with the conference. I think we need to just think of getting through this week, then it will be Thanksgiving and we can be distracted (sort of) for a bit, and then it should be time to hear back from most of them! That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.

Interview offer from University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (Child Track) today via personalized email. Interview dates are December 6, December 13, January 13, and January 17.

Interview offer from Spring Grove Hospital Center!! Received invite today via personalized email. Interview dates are 12/9, 12/11, 12/16 & 12/18.

Are you guys planning to go to the internship meet and greet? I went once before (to support a lab mate), and it was very overwhelming. There were so many people swarming the internship directors/interns, and it just felt so forced and uncomfortable. I feel like my best bet is to make a first impression at the interview, rather than at the meet and greet. What are you guys going to do?

Arya: I'm not going to ABCT this year, so I'm not attending any of them. I imagine that there are so many people it isn't really easy to make an impression, anyway.

BELLEVUE/NYU (Adult Track) notification. Personalized email. Interview date December 4th (!!!!!!!)

Ok Utah State Hospital sucked it up and sent out rejections! It was a mass email and surprisingly I could see the 28 others (yeah I counted) that the email was sent to... Here's hoping that the first notification being a rejection is in some way a good omen for the rest of this process!

I did not apply to this site but the general consensus for Phase I is not to count yourself out of the running until you receive a rejection. Sites have to let you know one way or the other in Phase I and a lot of sites seem to do rolling interviews. So, while I know it's easier said than done, take a deep breath and don't feel rejected until you actually are notified you are! (or the deadline for them to contact you has passed and you still haven't heard anything, then contact them and bug them!)

I have some advice that may be somewhat counterintuitive, and won't be useful for everyone, depending on your own indiviudal coping style. However, one thing that helped me through this situation was to assume a rejection if I hadn't heard from a site that had already sent out invites to others. There are certianly sites that send out rolling invites, so it's possible that they just haven't gotten all the way down the list yet - especially if it's still early in the application season! In my case, though, I was just getting my hopes up over sites that did eventually get around to sending out rejections, but often not until a few more weeks had passed. For me, it was ultimately easier to assume that no news = bad news.

I have some advice that may be somewhat counterintuitive, and won't be useful for everyone, depending on your own indiviudal coping style. However, one thing that helped me through this situation was to assume a rejection if I hadn't heard from a site that had already sent out invites to others. There are certianly sites that send out rolling invites, so it's possible that they just haven't gotten all the way down the list yet - especially if it's still early in the application season! In my case, though, I was just getting my hopes up over sites that did eventually get around to sending out rejections, but often not until a few more weeks had passed. For me, it was ultimately easier to assume that no news = bad news.

PsychRA I completely agree with you! I think it's best to assume no interview and get on with your life but once in a blue moon sites extend interviews much later than their "initial wave." Getting an interview after you expected a rejection is amazing, but I personally think it's still better to prepare for that rejection (emotionally and financially) than plan around an interview that most likely won't come. That being said, don't cross anything completely off your list until you actually hear from the site and that's what I meant from my first post.

Good luck to everyone and I hope the next couple weeks are positive for all!

PsychRA I completely agree with you! I think it's best to assume no interview and get on with your life but once in a blue moon sites extend interviews much later than their "initial wave." Getting an interview after you expected a rejection is amazing, but I personally think it's still better to prepare for that rejection (emotionally and financially) than plan around an interview that most likely won't come. That being said, don't cross anything completely off your list until you actually hear from the site and that's what I meant from my first post.

Good luck to everyone and I hope the next couple weeks are positive for all!
yeah, i did that last year and found it to be a good approach.

also, i was really excited to learn that my first interview site has sent out rejections and i did not get one so apparently they really did mean to send me an interview invite, woohoo! almost makes up for the sites that just haven't contacted me but have contacted other sdners...

North Shore-Long Island Jewish Neuropsych Track e-mail invite received today (11/18)... yay!!! Interview dates Jan 7, 9, 14

Interview offered at Vanderbilt VA Consortium (General track) via personalized email (11/18). Offered interview dates are Dec. 5, Dec. 16 and Jan. 10 as mentioned previously. My first one! :D