2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They just posted to the Div. 38 list that they are not taking any additional applications. Seems like a lot of people are willing to chance it. (I'm one of them - but I have neither a current position nor a lease to worry about!)

Members don't see this ad.

They just posted to the Div. 38 list that they are not taking any additional applications. Seems like a lot of people are willing to chance it. (I'm one of them - but I have neither a current position nor a lease to worry about!)

It sounds like a solid position. I would apply if I did not have other commitments in July. Good luck.

New posting in MA for a APA accredited part-time two-year internship at the Carson Center . They just received a HRSA grant and it appears that they have 5-7 interns on site due to 2-year 20 hour per week time span.

This sounds like a wonderful site and having it part-time over 2-years would be great for many interns who have family obligations or fulltime jobs.

I strongly agree. I am very familiar with the director of training and heard really positive reviews from past interns and recent interviewees. They have a particular emphasis on DBT, which is a clinical interest I imagine they look for in applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I strongly agree. I am very familiar with the director of training and heard really positive reviews from past interns and recent interviewees. They have a particular emphasis on DBT, which is a clinical interest I imagine they look for in applicants.

They have been APA accredited since 1998. They have increased their cohort from 4 to 8 interns after receiving the HRSA grant. They will be hiring additional supervisors.

Strange but it seems they have a number of part time therapist openings. You have to be eligible for MS level licensure. I guess they will let you work part time at other employers. Seems that they have a heavy crisis intervention emphasis With dual diagnosis substance abuse and major mental disorder/personality disorder emphasis. DBT and Rorshach/projectives experience needed.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
They have been APA accredited since 1998. They have increased their cohort from 4 to 8 interns after receiving the HRSA grant. They will be hiring additional supervisors.

Strange but it seems they have a number of part time therapist openings. You have to be eligible for MS level licensure. I guess they will let you work part time at other employers. Seems that they have a heavy crisis intervention emphasis With dual diagnosis substance abuse and major mental disorder/personality disorder emphasis. DBT and Rorshach/projectives experience needed.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Sounds like a great site. I wish it wasn't part-time or I would apply.

Sounds like a great site. I wish it wasn't part-time or I would apply.

MA must be one of the states that does not require postdoctoral year for licensure. Never know but if you have to wait another year it will be the same difference. What if you don't match next year? Seems there a number of student don't match the second time.

Posted using SDN Mobile

MA must be one of the states that does not require postdoctoral year for licensure. Never know but if you have to wait another year it will be the same difference. What if you don't match next year? Seems there a number of student don't match the second time.

Posted using SDN Mobile

true, but I am hoping I will not be one of them. I plan on applying much more geographically broadly next time :). Plus, I do not think I could survive on a part-time stipend without getting a second job, which may be tough depending on the internship schedule.

Last edited:
There were a few more APA accredited sites listed today. One child focused one in Oregon and one adult focused one in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm originally from the Western MA area where Carson Center is. The cost of living is pretty cheap there, and it is near a very cool college town.

Rejection from EVMS yesterday afternoon via e-mail. It's a bad sign when you are more relieved than anything else lol.. I've heard great things about the training but moving to another state wasn't exactly at the top of my list for Things To Do This Weekend.

Rejection from EVMS yesterday afternoon via e-mail. It's a bad sign when you are more relieved than anything else lol.. I've heard great things about the training but moving to another state wasn't exactly at the top of my list for Things To Do This Weekend.

It is probably for the best. You just settled in and moving again would be a pain :)

I accepted a position at EVMS yesterday! I am super excited...and sort of panicking. :bored:

Reactions: 9 users
Wow....That is a great site! I am so Happy for you!!! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted a position at EVMS yesterday! I am super excited...and sort of panicking. :bored:

congrats...remember to breathe and focus, you have a lot to do :). I am so excited that at least one of us found a spot in phase III :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
congrats...remember to breathe and focus, you have a lot to do :). I am so excited that at least one of us found a spot in phase III :highfive:
Thank you! I keep celebrating and not so much packing. :)

Hey Psychrat... Denver Medical Center has received HRSA grant and added two slots to begin on August 18. You have to submit application by July 10.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Hey Psychrat... Denver Medical Center has received HRSA grant and added two slots to begin on August 19. You have to submit application by July 10.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thanks. Just submitted.

2 more slots via HrSA grant at The Villages in Hartford, Connecticut. Start date in Sept.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 users
How did it go? Are you settling in ok?
It's going well so far - found a place to live and had orientation. I'm trying to get back home for the long weekend and to get my stuff to move it to Virginia but these storms are making it tough. (It's also been reassuring to meet other people who've been through the same thing - I met someone who had seven Phase II interviews and still didn't match!)

Good luck with Denver! My fingers are crossed!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything from Delaware? Hope all are hanging in okay.

Anyone heard from The Village for Families & Children, or CHOC? I can't believe with all the interviews I had in phases one and two, I am still getting rejected from other sites in post-match at this point. As a highly qualified applicant, I guess it goes to show just how competitive it is out there. I am highly disheartened about the impending reality that I may need to go through this process all over again :(

Two more advertised today, one in Harrison, Arkansas and one in Fayetteville, NC. Looks like they have both applied for APA accreditation and they are in the review process.

Another APA site has two openings announced today at 1:00 pm:

Site: UC Davis CAARE Center
Accreditation: YES (APA)
APPIC Member: YES (Member # 1771)

psychrat and jz112.... Check your inbox!!!

Last edited:
Mount Sinai in Manhattan, NY has two new positions in their Adolescent program. You have to be from an APA accredited program with Projectives training. I believe it is tied in with HRSA grant and begins on 9-2-2014.

To apply for this Psychology Intern, 350 - Rehab Therapy Staff, 14-1664900 position, click on Complete Application .

MailMessage.gif
Email this job to a friend
Job Title: Psychology Intern
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location/Affiliates: The Mount Sinai Hospital
Department: 350 - Rehab Therapy Staff
Requisition Number: 14-1664900
Job Description:
1.Under the supervision of faculty, Clinical Doctoral Interns will provide the following services to adults and adolescents.

- Psychological and neuropsychological assessment.

- Psychological interventions in individual, family and group modalities.

- Neuropsychological/cognitive remediation interventions in individual and group modalities.

- Co-lead select seminars within the training program.

- Consultation to the interdisciplinary team.

2.Attend all orientation sessions and psychology seminars as directed by the Director/Associate Director of Training.

3.Participate in conferences and seminars in the hospital and local community to foster professional learning.

4.Attend interdisciplinary in-services and Grand Rounds within the department as determined by the Director/Associate Director of Training.

5.Participate in ongoing quality monitoring within the training program (i.e., trainee-supervisor evaluations, seminar evaluations, staff meetings)

6.Participate in ongoing recruitment efforts for the Training Program.

Job Qualifications:
1.Ph.D. or Psy.D. candidate in good standing from an APA or CPA approved clinical, counseling, school psychology or other appropriate doctoral program (health, neuropsychology) and has completed all required academic course work leading to doctoral degree. Students from APA or CPA approved respecialization programs may also be considered.

2.Must have their dissertation proposal approved by start of the internship training year.

3.Must have completed 500 hours of psychological intervention and assessment or greater prior to start of the training year. Candidates with prior practicum experience in the fields of health psychology, rehabilitation psychology, or clinical neuropsychology are preferred.

It says the start on 9/2/2014 from what I can tell and the openings are dated in early July and July 24, 2014.

Jul 24, 2014 14-1664900 Psychology Intern Professional/Managerial Full Time Rehab Therapy Staff The Mount Sinai Hospital

It seems strange that they would begin advertising for 2015-2016 cohort now.

Last edited:
Just wanted to drop in and see how everyone is doing! You all were such a wonderful source of support over the last year. I just finished my first cover letter and feel so nauseous. On the bright side, I've gotten some great new experience and will be defending my dissertation in a couple of weeks. It also doesn't hurt that my essays only needed to be edited a bit and I've got cover letters (mostly) written for about 2/3 of this year's sites ;).

How's it going?

Just wanted to drop in and see how everyone is doing! You all were such a wonderful source of support over the last year. I just finished my first cover letter and feel so nauseous. On the bright side, I've gotten some great new experience and will be defending my dissertation in a couple of weeks. It also doesn't hurt that my essays only needed to be edited a bit and I've got cover letters (mostly) written for about 2/3 of this year's sites ;).

How's it going?

I have the same sick feeling. How many sites are you applying at this year? I am applying to more than I did last year and much more broadly.

I have the same sick feeling. How many sites are you applying at this year? I am applying to more than I did last year and much more broadly.
My list is currently at 25 but there are a few I'm not certain about yet ... they have later due dates so I'm putting off a closer reading of their brochures to decide until after I get this first batch of cover letters done. I applied to VAs, AMCs, and consorita that included at least one of those two last year and I'm doing largely the same thing this year with a couple of exceptions.

Hello again, friends.
I'm at 25 sites again, but I'm applying to completely different sites. I think my issue last year was I tried too hard to get into super competitive VAs rather than focusing on what is really the best fit for me. I'm completely revamping my application process.

However a question - who applied to St. Louis last time around for round two? I got an email from them asking me to reapply, and I was wondering if it was a personal email or just trying to drum up as many apps as possible.

I'm just curious about how you guys are handling cover letters to places you interviewed at last year. I'm thinking specifically about the places I followed up with after not matching that gave me positive feedback. I go back and forth whether I should reiterate how much I enjoyed meeting them/visiting/learning about the internship or whether to just keep my proverbial mouth shut. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm just curious about how you guys are handling cover letters to places you interviewed at last year. I'm thinking specifically about the are places I followed up with after not matching that gave me positive feedback. I go back and forth whether I should reiterate how much I enjoyed meeting them/visiting/learning about the internship or whether to just keep my proverbial mouth shut. Any thoughts?

I am not mentioning it at all. I figure if they remember, we can talk ab it in interviews... and if they don't remember, I don't want to remind them that I didn't match.

I am not mentioning it at all. I figure if they remember, we can talk ab it in interviews... and if they don't remember, I don't want to remind them that I didn't match.
That's ultimately what I ended up doing. I had the last of those due today, but feel good about my decision. Thanks for your thoughts.

That's ultimately what I ended up doing. I had the last of those due today, but feel good about my decision. Thanks for your thoughts.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. My DCT and I discussed her mentioning it in her statement of readiness but ultimately we decided not to go that route. This process is so hard because of all of the variables, some of which are uncontrollable and others which have no right or wrong. It's frustrating.