2013-2014 REJECTION THREAD, Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanilla60

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, since we have an interview thread to give us an idea of where programs are at in terms of their invitations I think it would be helpful to also start a rejection to know where we stand with a program if we have not yet heard anything from a program.

I have heard nothing back so far. I hope people keep us apprised. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I had forgotten about this until someone mentioned it in the rejection thread, so I'll bring it back to life.

First official rejection: Sparrow

:shrug:

John Peter Smith
SUNY Upstate
Sparrow
Northwestern

All have declined to interview me.

Members don't see this ad :)
SUNY Upstate
Sparrow
Northwestern

As well...

Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
Saint Vincent Health Center

Dont worry about that upstate invite y'all, judging by how they offered me a spot, then like 5 days later were like JK!

Thus far for me:

Arrowhead
MSU Sparrow

I'm hoping the fact that I haven't received a rejection from MSU means I'm still being considered?

Lurker... Finally decided to participate.

US IMG - No invites yet!

Rejections:
UMDNJ - Robert Wood
LSU-Shreveport
SUNY Upstate
Northeastern
MSU Sparrow

Members don't see this ad :)
Harbor-UCLA but I'm still waiting on my first SLOE so can't be sure if it was due to being incomplete or not having the credentials..

OUCOM Doctor's Hospital

Sent them a 'hey, I'm still interested, think I'd be a strong addition, let me know if something opens up' email... Can't hurt. :shrug:

Harbor-UCLA but I'm still waiting on my first SLOE so can't be sure if it was due to being incomplete or not having the credentials..

Same here, although admittedly I don't think I had the credentials either. Glad to know I'm not alone in being SLOE-less.

5 rejection so far
Northwestern, Boston medical center, Penn state hershey, MSU/lansing, UPMC

i'm screwed guys.. even though, i'm a prelim resident yet it does not help my application..

Now if we REALLY wanted to play a dangerous (or painful maybe is a better word) game, if you see a number of people getting rejections at about the same time from a program that you applied to and you have NOT gotten a rejection, should you be excited and think "Hey, they are perhaps considering me" or should you think "eh, they just haven't gotten to me yet". I guess that's the glass half full/half empty debate but it also could be taken in another context. If you haven't gotten a rejection but lots of other have, they are considering you for some reason. What better time to reach out and give them a little "I'm definitely interested" email than when you are potentially being evaluated to maybe or maybe not be cut? I don't know... just a thought and kinda thinking out loud. I don't guess it could hurt... at least I don't think so :shrug:

With ACEP only ending yest, many progs are just starting to hit the apps. Sending the "hey i'm interested, pick me" anytime before 11/1 is being too pushy and will only hurt your chances imo. Give them some breathing room.

If they are already sending out rejections then they are obviously already hitting the apps. Those were the ones I was talking about contacting... not a blanket "I'm interested". Just specially targeted efforts where you notice there have been a number of rejections in a short period of time. For example (and not for me since I got the rejection too)... you see/saw a bunch of people get a rejection from MSU/Sparrow and you know that you did NOT get a rejection but you did apply there... that means you are still in contention. I have a hard time seeing how expressing interest when you KNOW they are evaluating and that you are at least still in the game is a bad thing. Now of course if you start shooting random emails with no idea if they've touched the apps... yeah, that's a bad idea at this point probably.

AMG, still waiting on 1st SLOE to be uploaded

Rejected from
Boston Med, Northwestern, UCSF

Just received notice from Maine. I'm scheduled to do an away there in November. Any suggestions?

Don't go?

Yeah, I'm thinking that way, but also wondering if maybe I should contact the PD since there's a possibility he didn't know I was rotating. Maybe score a courtesy interview. I dunno, if I cancel the rotation at least I can spend Thanksgiving with my pregnant wife and son. That would be nice.

Yeah, I'm thinking that way, but also wondering if maybe I should contact the PD since there's a possibility he didn't know I was rotating. Maybe score a courtesy interview. I dunno, if I cancel the rotation at least I can spend Thanksgiving with my pregnant wife and son. That would be nice.

Give Jana a call and see what you guys may be able to work out. Either way, a rotation in Maine will be a good experience with a lot of procedures and autonomy as a medical student. Will be beneficial on the trail and in ultimately deciding what type of facility you want to practice in. Best of luck!

Give Jana a call and see what you guys may be able to work out. Either way, a rotation in Maine will be a good experience with a lot of procedures and autonomy as a medical student. Will be beneficial on the trail and in ultimately deciding what type of facility you want to practice in. Best of luck!

Thank you for your suggestion. I have not doubt it will be a great experience.

Yup, Nebraska and Maine yesterday. Maine was no surprise but Nebraska was a bit surprising this early on. Oh well. I've been noticing a trend which is PURELY coincidence I'm sure, but when I get a rejection or two the next day I get an offer. If that trend continues and I have to get 2 rejections to get 1 offer then I have absolutely no problem with that, let the rejections roll so I can get more offers, lol! Unfortunately I know it doesn't work like that but it's trying to keep some positive spin on things :)

Yup, Nebraska and Maine yesterday. Maine was no surprise but Nebraska was a bit surprising this early on. Oh well. I've been noticing a trend which is PURELY coincidence I'm sure, but when I get a rejection or two the next day I get an offer. If that trend continues and I have to get 2 rejections to get 1 offer then I have absolutely no problem with that, let the rejections roll so I can get more offers, lol! Unfortunately I know it doesn't work like that but it's trying to keep some positive spin on things :)

I never would have thought Nebraska would have been that competitive either.

I never would have thought Nebraska would have been that competitive either.
:thumbup::thumbup: Who knows... I'm starting to think that nothing will surprise me. My first rejection was from SUNY Upstate which I would not have thought reached a rejection point so early either, but whatever :cool:

Carolinas, Nebraska, Connecticut, Michigan University .

I wonder if I can set a record for the number of rejections in one day.

Random question maybe someone could answer. If most people match their top 1 or 2, why is the mean number of programs ranked for successful matched applicants like 11? What am I missing here?

Random question maybe someone could answer. If most people match their top 1 or 2, why is the mean number of programs ranked for successful matched applicants like 11? What am I missing here?

It's hard to know if you like a program without going there, at least that's my impression so far. So people are going to accept a good deal of invites. Once you've interviewed somewhere, leaving them off the rank list basically means you'd rather not match than go there, and that's usually not the case.

Also, we be scared.

Question for people getting rejections from Carolinas and the like: are these rejections coming in a similar manner to invites? I mean, are you getting ERAS messages telling you "thanks, but no thanks?"

I'm not really the strongest candidate in a number of ways but haven't heard anything either way from some of these programs, so curious.