2013-2014 REJECTION THREAD, Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Emory, U Wisc, U Maryland (which was a funny rejection e mail if i must say "im sure we chose to interview people for our program that would not be as successful interns as you, but it is impossible to tell this.") LOL like wtf.

OHSU
University of Alabama at Birmingham

Oh god, do I even want to type them all out?
Eastern Virginia, JPS in TX, LeHigh PA, Northwestern, MCW, SUNY Upstate, Cincinnati, Fresno, and today's newest edition Oregon.
Guh :(

Emory rejection: Lots of applicants, no room for you, thanks but no thanks, good luck.

Alabama, Birmingham: Our residents are awesome. They personally review apps. We are so proud of our awesome residents. After our awesome resident awesome review we decided we don't want you joining our program and screwing up the awesomeness of our residents. Good luck with your career plans.

Seriously people, less is more...

U Maryland (which was a funny rejection e mail if i must say "im sure we chose to interview people for our program that would not be as successful interns as you, but it is impossible to tell this.") LOL like wtf.

At least they're honest.

Hmm... some interesting rejections here. I say interesting because (without giving too many details) some of the more recent rejections in the last day or two being reported I have not heard from... rejection or invite wise. It's interesting because based on stats I see some people up there that DEFINITELY have better numbers than me so I wonder if this means maybe they are looking at other things or if it simply means they haven't gotten all the rejections sent out yet, lol! This process tends to be SOOOOO unpredictable o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... some interesting rejections here. I say interesting because (without giving too many details) some of the more recent rejections in the last day or two being reported I have not heard from... rejection or invite wise. It's interesting because based on stats I see some people up there that DEFINITELY have better numbers than me so I wonder if this means maybe they are looking at other things or if it simply means they haven't gotten all the rejections sent out yet, lol! This process tends to be SOOOOO unpredictable o_O
Was just talking to a fellow interviewee yesterday about how random it is. When you get interviews at competitive places and then rejected from less competitive ones. Or when you and another person are interviewing at the same place (implying you were both "good enough" to get an offer there) and then find out one of you was rejected somewhere else and the other is interviewing there. Or vice versa. All seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

Orlando Health/ORMC just sent me a soft rejection "1000 applicants for 14 spots... so we can't interview everyone. However, we'll keep your application on file in case anything changes."

Well, I got the hard ORMC rejection!

U Maryland, NY Presby, Olive view, USC, BIDMC, UCSF, Maine, Northwestern

Orlando Health/ORMC just sent me a soft rejection "1000 applicants for 14 spots... so we can't interview everyone. However, we'll keep your application on file in case anything changes."

Sounds like you were placed on a waitlist. My rejection email did not contain that line.

For the record, here's the line,

"We will maintain your application on file until the end of this match season and notify you immediately of any change in its status. We wish you much success as you move forward in the interview season, the match process and, ultimately, your career in Emergency Medicine."

Got a couple with nearly the exact same verbage from other programs. Initially my take was a soft rejection as well.

Interesting rejection today... not because it was a rejection but just because of something I noticed. The rejection was from Maricopa and signed "Michael Epter, DO, FAAEM
Residency Program Director". Problem I saw was that, last time I checked, Dr. Epter was the PD at Nevada. I had heard rumors awhile ago that he was going to Maricopa and they were soundly denied at that time but apparently that was true. Curiously enough, on Nevada's website he is no longer listed as the PD but he's also not listed as the PD on Maricopa's side either (still lists Dr. Katz as the PD). Not sure how recent this move is but a curious one right in the middle of application/interview season. No controversy or question for me here really... just an interesting observation how "rumors" that are robustly denied have an interesting way of coming to pass sometimes.

Interesting rejection today... not because it was a rejection but just because of something I noticed. The rejection was from Maricopa and signed "Michael Epter, DO, FAAEM
Residency Program Director". Problem I saw was that, last time I checked, Dr. Epter was the PD at Nevada. I had heard rumors awhile ago that he was going to Maricopa and they were soundly denied at that time but apparently that was true. Curiously enough, on Nevada's website he is no longer listed as the PD but he's also not listed as the PD on Maricopa's side either (still lists Dr. Katz as the PD). Not sure how recent this move is but a curious one right in the middle of application/interview season. No controversy or question for me here really... just an interesting observation how "rumors" that are robustly denied have an interesting way of coming to pass sometimes.

The change was slated to happen since sometime in August. Dr Epter officially took over on October 1st, prior to reviewing any applications. Dr Katz is still with the program and my understanding is that if anything, he may move up in terms of role in the ED there.

Yep, got that one too. Seems like we are on the same lists. lol

Reactions: 1 user
After this week I think I've gotten to the point where I cringe and think "who is it now" every time I see an email from "noreply@eraspod" instead of being excited about it like I was for the first month and a half.
Add Baylor and George Washington to the list.

just curious as to how many of you guys have 2 SLOEs in at this time in the cycle. i still have one and am sitting at 5 interviews...:(

i have my second coming hopefully next week.

i think just having one is really hurting me at this point.

I turned in my second SLOE (making my app complete with 3 LORs) at the end of the first week of October, and a lot of invites came in immediately afterward. Do you have three total LORs turned in? If you don't, I would have someone write you a letter and upload it ASAP.

To join the fun -> Highland. No love. :( At least it was a polite rejection letter.

Highland here too.

'We normally interview around 20% of applicants... but we didn't come close to that number this year.'

EM apparently is what anesthesia was when I applied to medical school. FML.

I turned in my second SLOE (making my app complete with 3 LORs) at the end of the first week of October, and a lot of invites came in immediately afterward. Do you have three total LORs turned in? If you don't, I would have someone write you a letter and upload it ASAP.

To join the fun -> Highland. No love. :( At least it was a polite rejection letter.

I have three total, but only 1 SLOE. I just finished my 2nd EM rotation and am waiting on my last SLOE to come in. Ive been told to expect more interviews after that, but are there even any spots left? certainly doesnt feel like it.

I have three total, but only 1 SLOE. I just finished my 2nd EM rotation and am waiting on my last SLOE to come in. Ive been told to expect more interviews after that, but are there even any spots left? certainly doesnt feel like it.

I'm in the exact same boat...3 LORs (1 of them SLOR), and it's killing me waiting for that last SLOR. Can't help but think of what interviews I'm missing out on because of that.

Highland here too.

'We normally interview around 20% of applicants... but we didn't come close to that number this year.'

EM apparently is what anesthesia was when I applied to medical school. FML.

Ditto. Now that I see others also got rejections today, I now feel better that it wasn't the 2nd SLOE I sent them last night that swayed them towards rejection.

Was it a hard rejection (obvious) or one of those "we put you on hold" rejections?
I got this from Jacksonville this AM, but its more of a waiting list email not a rejection.
We want to meet you, our slots are full, you are on hold, usually positions open up, we will call you, etc.

Jacksonville as well. "We're full... robust waitlist. Best wishes!"

rejected: Alameda, Fresno, maine, umich, carolinas, nyp, upmc
Waitlist: emory, suny upstate