2013-2014 REJECTION THREAD, Emergency Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sent an interest email to a program with an update about one of my SLOEs...next day got a rejection. Looks like I won't be sending any more of those! :eek:

I've only sent two myself. One I got an immediate waitlist response and the second I haven't heard a peep from since sending. I'm not doing too well with them either.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only sent two myself. One I got an immediate waitlist response and the second I haven't heard a peep from since sending. I'm not doing too well with them either.

Yeah, I've sent a few. Gotten one wait list, some rejections, and some silence. No interviews yet. Wondering if it's less effective than advertised or if folks just don't like my app!?

Sent one to every program that hasn't responded and have yet to get a response, good or bad. Probably won't hear anything until Monday anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno... I sent about a 15 or so with about 1/2 getting some kind of response... most being replies saying one of two things... "Sorry, we're full but thanks for the interest" or "I really appreciate the email and I'll pull your file and take a second look". With that said, I only gotten one that said they'd look at it and then I got a rejection, a couple of waitlist offers, and 3 invites last week. I think the key is the content... if you simply send a 2 or 3 sentence email saying you're interested then you might as well save your time and theirs. If you put time into writing it and personalizing it they do pay off.

Hey quick question. Are you emailing program directors or program coordinators?

Last edited:
PDs only. They are the only ones that can actually make decisions on whether you get an invite or not. The best the coordinator can do is to put a bug in someone's ear and see if they can win that person's interest. Just so happens that person they have to talk to is the PD so why not cut out the middle man and make your case for yourself rather than rely on someone to do it for you? Just my thoughts and I'm sure some would advise against and maybe in some places it may/will hurt me but for every 1 that takes the email to the PD poorly there seems to have been 2-3 that liked it so....

I dunno... I sent about a 15 or so with about 1/2 getting some kind of response... most being replies saying one of two things... "Sorry, we're full but thanks for the interest" or "I really appreciate the email and I'll pull your file and take a second look". With that said, I only gotten one that said they'd look at it and then I got a rejection, a couple of waitlist offers, and 3 invites last week. I think the key is the content... if you simply send a 2 or 3 sentence email saying you're interested then you might as well save your time and theirs. If you put time into writing it and personalizing it they do pay off.

Yeah, I tried doing a little but of personalization on the ones I sent, but you quickly reach a point in the email where the PD is probably going to say "TL;DR." Perhaps my worry about being too wordy cut back on the quality, or maybe the ones I sent see to programs that simply just don't have turnover on their interview lists. Who knows?

Yeah, I tried doing a little but of personalization on the ones I sent, but you quickly reach a point in the email where the PD is probably going to say "TL;DR." Perhaps my worry about being too wordy cut back on the quality, or maybe the ones I sent see to programs that simply just don't have turnover on their interview lists. Who knows?
Who knows, maybe I'm just good, lol :) j/k... I think that anyone on this forum who is NOT a PD who read mine would look at it and immediately say "too long" but it's worked for me. Whether it be content, the little joke I throw in early as a catch phrase, or perhaps the fact that it is simply... different than all the others they are getting, most have been receptive to it. I wonder why it works for some and not for others and maybe I just hit the right people in the right way but I will say it "can" work if done correctly. Like anything else though, if they open it and it sounds like the same ol BS they heard in the last 20 emails... yeah, they probably don't bother. It's like anything else... you gotta have a hook and then you have to deliver something "different" that makes them take interest. A 3 sentence email might nail the brevity aspect but has no originality or draw so which is better? I know the answer for me but that's just one person's experience....

Reactions: 1 user
Who knows, maybe I'm just good, lol :) j/k... I think that anyone on this forum who is NOT a PD who read mine would look at it and immediately say "too long" but it's worked for me. Whether it be content, the little joke I throw in early as a catch phrase, or perhaps the fact that it is simply... different than all the others they are getting, most have been receptive to it. I wonder why it works for some and not for others and maybe I just hit the right people in the right way but I will say it "can" work if done correctly. Like anything else though, if they open it and it sounds like the same ol BS they heard in the last 20 emails... yeah, they probably don't bother. It's like anything else... you gotta have a hook and then you have to deliver something "different" that makes them take interest. A 3 sentence email might nail the brevity aspect but has no originality or draw so which is better? I know the answer for me but that's just one person's experience....

Wow, you're throwing in jokes and catch phrases? It's almost like another personal statement...glad it has worked for you, though. Leave it to some gunner to take things to a whole new level ;)

Wow, you're throwing in jokes and catch phrases? It's almost like another personal statement...glad it has worked for you, though. Leave it to some gunner to take things to a whole new level ;)
Lol, if you knew my scores you'd never say "gunner" and my name in the same sentence :) It's just what you have to do when you know you have some ground to make up!

I'm tracking my rejections and maybe/hold/waitlist emails. Is this one a rejection or a waitlist? Does anyone know if Orlando Health uses interview broker?

Thank you for your recent application to the Emergency Medicine Residency
training program at Orlando Health. We appreciate your interest in our
program. We are grateful and fortunate to receive so many applications each
year from individuals such as yourself who possess a desire and motivation to
enter the specialty of Emergency Medicine. With so many qualfiedl applicants,
the selection process is extremely difficult. Regrettably, our Recruitment
Committee is unable to extend an invitation to you for an interview at this
time. With close to 1000 applications for 14 positions it is just impossible
to invite everyone.
We will maintain your application on file until the end of this match season
and notify you immediately of any change in its status. We wish you much
success as you move forward in the interview season, the match process and,
ultimately, your career in Emergency Medicine.

If this is the same as Orlando regional then yes they use interview broker and it seems you're wait listed.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm tracking my rejections and maybe/hold/waitlist emails. Is this one a rejection or a waitlist? Does anyone know if Orlando Health uses interview broker?

to invite everyone.

I got something similar from Cook County. I took it as a soft rejection. I'm sure they have people on a real waitlist and my app is being held till the end of the season in case all hell breaks loose and 50 people all drop their spots at once or something

I got something similar from Cook County. I took it as a soft rejection. I'm sure they have people on a real waitlist and my app is being held till the end of the season in case all hell breaks loose and 50 people all drop their spots at once or something

Agreed. I also got a similar letter (a soft rejection) and the places that put me on the wait list stated in the email.

I got an email from Cook Couty saying that my app was still being considered. Have a friend that got a rejection that same day. Who knows!

Last edited:

to invite everyone.

I've gotten several similar emails and I took those more as a rejection than a wait list. Sounds like the chances are very slim to pull off an interview after reading that.

JPS in Forth Worth.....

"Unfortunately your application does not meet our strict initial review process for consideration. We thank you for considering us for your future training."

Wow and I thought I had already seen rude rejection emails. This takes the cake.

JPS in Forth Worth.....

"Unfortunately your application does not meet our strict initial review process for consideration. We thank you for considering us for your future training."

Wow and I thought I had already seen rude rejection emails. This takes the cake.

I actually like this rejection. It is short and to the point. I don't need four paragraphs to figure out I am not getting an interview.

ORMC has a wait-list of 90 something. When asked, was told I'm #47ish.
Me: Sooooo no?
PC: Nahhhh, but Happy Holidays!
(we both laugh)
Closure helps.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow they will give you your actual number on the waitlist? I had to like tease it out of one of the programs who finally said I was in the top portion...

Looks like Cook County's soft rejection "We'll keep your record open" was more of a waitlist. They have a couple dates open in Jan.