-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 SUNY Buffalo Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who interviewed in the last 2-3 weeks heard back yet?
Yes, I interviewed early October and I have heard back.
Has anyone who interviewed in the last 2-3 weeks heard back yet?
Yeah, Buffalo makes decisions the same day as your interview and sends them out the next day.
Seems like Buffalo either accepts or waitlists applicants at this point.
To those who were accepted - have you received further instructions on how to pay the deposit yet?
Looks like we just have to mail a form in with a check
I've officially declined my offer. Good luck to everyone on the wait list!
Hi All! I was wondering if anyone who interviewed here (or goes here) could comment on whether or not the students were happy with the school and their experience. I didn't really get the chance to speak with students, and was hoping that someone else may have an idea.
Hi All! I was wondering if anyone who interviewed here (or goes here) could comment on whether or not the students were happy with the school and their experience. I didn't really get the chance to speak with students, and was hoping that someone else may have an idea.
I'm very happy with my decision to attend UB. The faculty and administration really do care about the students and will do anything to make your life easier as a student. All the students are pretty cool too.
Earlier it was said that UB makes decisions the day after your interview. Did they say how long before they let out those decisions? Trying to decide if I should attend the interview scheduled for Mid-November.
Also, they said I need to reply to their email about if I'm attending, but the deadline they set for that was 2 days before the actual interview. Is this a typo?
Also, they said I need to reply to their email about if I'm attending, but the deadline they set for that was 2 days before the actual interview. Is this a typo?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Earlier it was said that UB makes decisions the day after your interview. Did they say how long before they let out those decisions? Trying to decide if I should attend the interview scheduled for Mid-November.
Also, they said I need to reply to their email about if I'm attending, but the deadline they set for that was 2 days before the actual interview. Is this a typo?
They will email you a decision the next day/put up the decision on their online status check site.
Thank you. Wow that is quick! I've never heard of that before, but it also looks like at this point Buffalo only accepts up to their class size and waitlists a lot of applicants.They will email you a decision the next day/put up the decision on their online status check site.
Thank you. Wow that is quick! I've never heard of that before, but it also looks like at this point Buffalo only accepts up to their class size and waitlists a lot of applicants.
Not true. The class is not filled until after the last interview day
Thank you. Wow that is quick! I've never heard of that before, but it also looks like at this point Buffalo only accepts up to their class size and waitlists a lot of applicants.
Yeah, they slowly fill up their class size til the last day of interviews. They interview about 600 people, and about 145 get acceptances. Another 200-300 acceptances goes out after that. So most people who get accepted to Buffalo, and probably most people that compose the class, came off the waitlist.
They will email you a decision the next day/put up the decision on their online status check site.
At my interview this month we were informed that they changed the process and now release decisions the week after the interview.
At my interview this month we were informed that they changed the process and now release decisions the week after the interview.
Ohh interesting. Thanks for correcting me and letting everyone know
Looks like we just have to mail a form in with a check
Where do you find the form to send in with the check?
Where do you find the form to send in with the check?
Mine was attached to the acceptance email.
Just got an interview invitation, OOS. What are the chances of getting accepted from an interview? Looks as if most people who interviewed on here are waitlisted, is that true?
And for those that have interviewed, what was the interview like?
And for those that have interviewed, what was the interview like?
I am OOS, interviewed a couple weeks ago and was accepted. So it is possible!
How long after your interview were you accepted?I am OOS, interviewed a couple weeks ago and was accepted. So it is possible!
How long after your interview were you accepted?
They tell you the decision a week later.
Also I forgot to mention, at the interview they said the majority of their class is pulled from their waitlist. So getting wait listed isn't so bad really!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was complete in early August and have still not been reviewed yet. I'm not sure if I like this random process. Has anyone sent in an update letter pre-interview? I have had some changes (publications accepted) but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to send in an update. If someone has sent in an update, did they send it directly to Mr. Rosso?
Thanks!
Thanks!
I was complete in early August and have still not been reviewed yet. I'm not sure if I like this random process. Has anyone sent in an update letter pre-interview? I have had some changes (publications accepted) but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to send in an update. If someone has sent in an update, did they send it directly to Mr. Rosso?
Thanks!
Idk if they do but if they do, certainly send it pre-interview. They make their decision the day of the interview so sending an update letter after, even with a publication, won't be too helpful then except if you're on the waitlist.
Thanks. That's definitely a good thing to keep in mind!Idk if they do but if they do, certainly send it pre-interview. They make their decision the day of the interview so sending an update letter after, even with a publication, won't be too helpful then except if you're on the waitlist.
Just to answer my own question: Mr. Rosso said that updates can only be used if an interview is granted. So... I guess they accept pre-interview updates, but only if an interview is granted based on review of your primary/secondary (i.e., updates aren't used to further consideration for an interview).
I am in the same boat as you. I am a UB undergrad, a Buffalo resident and a NYS resident. My stats are CGPA:3.9, sGPA: 3.85 and MCAT: 34 (11/11/12). Submitted my secondary on July 19th, however, still waiting for an interview invite. I have so far nine interview invites and an acceptance , but would like to consider UB. First, I need an interview from UB. Anything I can do to help my case. Any suggestions from anyone?
Just gotta wait it out. With your stats plus being from the area I would like to think you're a shoo-in for an interview invite. I know it's tough, but you just gotta be patient
Thanks for the advise.Just gotta wait it out. With your stats plus being from the area I would like to think you're a shoo-in for an interview invite. I know it's tough, but you just gotta be patient
II this week! OOS
>32 >3.65
Complete 8/1
Never expected to hear from Buffalo but so excited 🙂
>32 >3.65
Complete 8/1
Never expected to hear from Buffalo but so excited 🙂
Waitlisted
Interviewed 10/23
3.9/4.0/36/IS
Withdrew my app
Good luck to everyone else!
Interviewed 10/23
3.9/4.0/36/IS
Withdrew my app
Good luck to everyone else!
So sorry to hear. Your stats are excellent. I am pretty sure you already have acceptance from one or more schools. It is UB's loss. Somehow UB love to put everyone on waitlist, and thus force all good candidates to select other schools. Candidates with good stats don't want to wait till June to find out UB's decision. Whereas, good medical schools go after such candidates and accepts them within a few weeks after interview without playing this waitlist game.Waitlisted
Interviewed 10/23
3.9/4.0/36/IS
Withdrew my app
Good luck to everyone else!
So sorry to hear. Your stats are excellent. I am pretty sure you already have acceptance from one or more schools. It is UB's loss. Somehow UB love to put everyone on waitlist, and thus force all good candidates to select other schools. Candidates with good stats don't want to wait till June to find out UB's decision. Whereas, good medical schools go after such candidates and accepts them within a few weeks after interview without playing this waitlist game.
yeah. waitlisted here 3.8/39 oos. idk why they waitlist so many people when they know they are just gonna accept half of them come May.
Being second choice kinda sucks. I would choose a similar school that accepts me right away over a school that waitlists me first.
Accepted today! Going to have to talk to more current students before making a decision but if anyone has any insight regarding the perceived quality of education/preparation/match (surgical specialties) of this school, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Congrats! I love it here for many reasons, there are negatives here like anywhere but the good far outweighs the bad.Accepted today! Going to have to talk to more current students before making a decision but if anyone has any insight regarding the perceived quality of education/preparation/match (surgical specialties) of this school, it'd be greatly appreciated!
PM me any questions and I'll answer anything.
Because Dr. Severin commits to never interviewing more people than spots in the class. It sucks when you're on the list, but I really appreciate the message it sends.yeah. waitlisted here 3.8/39 oos. idk why they waitlist so many people when they know they are just gonna accept half of them come May.
Being second choice kinda sucks. I would choose a similar school that accepts me right away over a school that waitlists me first.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UB doesn't wait list everyone, so to make the blanket statement that UB isn't a good school because they wait list everyone is incorrect. I was accepted the day after my interview. I had above average stats and over 10 acceptances. The transparency and integrity Dr Severin showed in the admissions process is one of the main reasons I'm here. Also, despite what SDN will have you believe, stats aren't everything and don't tell the whole story. Another reason I chose UB, they select against gunner types intentionally - no matter what the stats.So sorry to hear. Your stats are excellent. I am pretty sure you already have acceptance from one or more schools. It is UB's loss. Somehow UB love to put everyone on waitlist, and thus force all good candidates to select other schools. Candidates with good stats don't want to wait till June to find out UB's decision. Whereas, good medical schools go after such candidates and accepts them within a few weeks after interview without playing this waitlist game.
Last edited:
Because Dr. Severin commits to never interviewing more people than spots in the class. It sucks when you're on the list, but I really appreciate the message it sends.
UB is a fine school no doubt. But they do accept a large portion of the waitlist every year. They told us about 1/2 to 2/3rds on average. Why not accept those applicants to begin with? Most schools only use the waitlist to fill up a small number of spots. Take University of Michigan, which hasn't pulled anyone off the waitlist in a few years. They accept everyone they want up front, overbooking the seats knowing historically that a certain percentage of those accepted will turn down their offer.
Totally agree with you. What is the point of making 1/2 to 2/3 of your incoming class to wait till May or June when other schools offer admission to the same candidates in October or November. Most schools know their yield (Matriculates/Admission offers) and offer admissions accordingly.UB is a fine school no doubt. But they do accept a large portion of the waitlist every year. They told us about 1/2 to 2/3rds on average. Why not accept those applicants to begin with? Most schools only use the waitlist to fill up a small number of spots. Take University of Michigan, which hasn't pulled anyone off the waitlist in a few years. They accept everyone they want up front, overbooking the seats knowing historically that a certain percentage of those accepted will turn down their offer.
A valid criticism is not a sour grape. I am happy to hear that you were accepted next day after your interview. You were among the 1/3rd of your class, and remaining 2/3rd of the class waited till May/June. I totally agree with you that stats are not everything, but when UB puts a candidate with good stats who have multiple acceptance from other school (ranked higher than UB) on waiting list and want him/her to wait till May/June to find out, they end up at other schools and UB end up admitting students from 2nd and 3rd tier of their waiting list.Sour grapes? UB doesn't wait list everyone, so to make the blanket statement that UB isn't a good school because they wait list everyone is incorrect. I was accepted the day after my interview. I had very above average stats and over 12 acceptances. The transparency and integrity Dr Severin showed in the admissions process is one of the main reasons I'm here. Also, despite what SDN will have you believe, stats aren't everything and don't tell the whole story. Another reason I chose UB, they select against gunner types intentionally - no matter what the stats.
Last edited:
My bad on the sour grapes comment, it's a Friday night in the middle of the med school grind, and I should not be writing on SDN. Your argument makes sense, it's just that there isn't only one right way. They feel that because they do random review, they want to give every single person a chance to be reviewed before filling the class. There is no shortage of qualified applicants out there, so they focus on the principle of it. It's not for everyone, but when Dr Severin explained it the sentiment made sense to me.A valid criticism is not a sour grape. I am happy to hear that we were accepted next day after your interview. You were among the 1/3rd of your class, and remaining 2/3rd of the class waited till May/June. I totally agree with you that stats are not everything, but when UB puts a candidate with good stats who have multiple acceptance from other school (ranked higher than UB) on waiting list and want him/her to wait till May/June to find out, they end up at other schools and UB end up admitting students from 2nd and 3rd tier of their waiting list.
And you're right, some students end up at those other schools, and some like me, withdrew from other "higher ranked" (not synonymous with better) schools and choose UB because it's where we wanted to be.