2013-2014 Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any reasons why you would choose SJB over UCC?

I think SJB is her 4th choice. 1)UPR 2)Ponce 3)UCC 4)SJB

Members don't see this ad.

No word from adcom yet??

I believe they start sending interview invites in January. So far the only communication with them has been an e-mail telling me I was complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
From texas, bi-lingual. I got an email, yes, and I'll be going January 16th. I have an interview with San Juan bautista as well on January 15th, so this II was very convenient for me. I applied rather late as well. I want to say I submitted the app to this school in October, and they didn't get my transcripts until November. If the first interviews for this school start in January, then I'm very surprised I received this II for one of the first interviews.

Thanks Dr Curitas. Hope everyone hears back soon.

Sorry, interview with UCC is on Jan 17th. Interview with SJB is Jan 16th

From texas, bi-lingual. I got an email, yes, and I'll be going January 16th. I have an interview with San Juan bautista as well on January 15th, so this II was very convenient for me. I applied rather late as well. I want to say I submitted the app to this school in October, and they didn't get my transcripts until November. If the first interviews for this school start in January, then I'm very surprised I received this II for one of the first interviews.

Thanks Dr Curitas. Hope everyone hears back soon.

Good for you! My app has been complete since September so I am getting antsy about hearing from UCC. I am a reapplicant and had interviewed with them for 2012 cycle. I'll send an email to admissions soon. Best wishes to you and have a Merry Christmas!

Hey I have an ii here on January 24th. My LizzyM score is 64 and I have pretty good EC's. I am a non-Hispanic white male from Brooklyn, NY. My father studied at SJB for ~2 years but transferred to UCC in the 80's. How much Spanish is needed for the mmi? Or can every question be answered in English? I am contemplating getting tutored in Spanish because I have never been good conversationally. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone else!

Last edited:
Hey I have an ii here on January 24th. My stats are MCAT 29 (10ps,9vs,10bs), 3.5c, 3.35s gpa and pretty good EC's. I am a non-Hispanic white male from Brooklyn, NY. My father studied at sjb for ~2 years but transferred to UCC in the 80's. How much Spanish is needed for the mmi? Or can every question be answered in English? I am contemplating getting tutored in Spanish because I have never been good conversationally. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone else!
Congrats!! I interviewed at UCC in 2012 and most of the day was in Spanish so if you can understand at least and make an effort to speak that should be good. Best to you and exito as they say on the beautiful island!

It's getting late and I have not heard anything either... I consider that a silent rejection. Already started studying for an MCAT retake. Oh well...my stats weren't that good anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's getting late and I have not heard anything either... I consider that a silent rejection. Already started studying for an MCAT retake. Oh well...my stats weren't that good anyway.

Give it, at least, until the end of the month. Last year one of my friends had an interview in early february. I think it's to early to give up.

Give it, at least, until the end of the month. Last year one of my friends had an interview in early february. I think it's to early to give up.
I want to take the MCAT early so I can submit very early next cycle. I still remain optimistic that something good might happen. Who knows! This application cycle has been brutal on me. Never thought it would be that stressful since I am a lay back person. Thanks for your encouragement.

I want to take the MCAT early so I can submit very early next cycle. I still remain optimistic that something good might happen. Who knows! This application cycle has been brutal on me. Never thought it would be that stressful since I am a lay back person. Thanks for your encouragement.

Hang in there! It is a long and draining process but if medicine is your calling you will gather the will and energy to pursue your dream. I think DrOne made a good point it might be too early to give up yet. I also applaud you for saddling up for MCAT already. Best to you!!

Hang in there! It is a long and draining process but if medicine is your calling you will gather the will and energy to pursue your dream. I think DrOne made a good point it might be too early to give up yet. I also applaud you for saddling up for MCAT already. Best to you!!
I am not giving up yet, but I just want to get the ball rolling in case I don't get an acceptance this cycle... Studying for the MCAT again is a pain! Hopefully something good happens to us this cycle... GL

Reactions: 1 user
I have been informed that this school is giving now interviews. Is anyone from PR have received invitation interviews? It looks like they are interviewing first OOS applicants, possibly because they have higher MCAT scores. Good luck to all!

I have been informed that this school is giving now interviews. Is anyone from PR have received invitation interviews? It looks like they are interviewing first OOS applicants, possibly because they have higher MCAT scores. Good luck to all!

I'm from Puerto Rico and I'm still waiting for an II.

I got an II during December and I Interviewed las friday (Jan 17). it is 5 mini interviews (7 min each) with different scenarios. they said decision could start being given out end of Jan.

I called and they said with my stats I could expect a february interview

Im so happy. I called again to confirm and was told I would get an ii by email mid february and that I would definitely get an ii with my stats. 23, 3.2, 3.08

I got an II during December and I Interviewed las friday (Jan 17). it is 5 mini interviews (7 min each) with different scenarios. they said decision could start being given out end of Jan.

Congrats and thanks for insights on new interview format. Is there a group/panel and or individual interview session(s) as well? Are you from mainland? I am from California and not heard from UCC yet.

Im so happy. I called again to confirm and was told I would get an ii by email mid february and that I would definitely get an ii with my stats. 23, 3.2, 3.08

How exciting! Good for you.

Any more II? How far out are you scheduled to? TIA

Congrats and thanks for insights on new interview format. Is there a group/panel and or individual interview session(s) as well? Are you from mainland? I am from California and not heard from UCC yet.
The last of the 5 mini interviews is a one on one interview but it is only 7 minutes long. I am from the island. On my interview day there were 2 students from the states, one from boston and the other was from california I believe

Hey guys. Anyone interviewing this Friday January 31st? Ill be going there that date. From Florida! Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm Colombian so I'm bilingual, but I have been in the states since the age of 9

Are the mini interviews one on one or in a group? Im not great at interviewing thats why ponce rejected me. I need help :(

I just called and they told me that the only reason I didn't get an interview already is that I didn't send a grade report from last semester showing that I passed Organic Chemistry II.

The last of the 5 mini interviews is a one on one interview but it is only 7 minutes long. I am from the island. On my interview day there were 2 students from the states, one from boston and the other was from california I believe

Whats the interview day like? Do they give you a tour? And how long till we hear back after interview?

Just got the e-mail, interview on february 7.

I called and was told we should be there by 8 and can be there up to 1pm. See you there!

Whats the interview day like? Do they give you a tour? And how long till we hear back after interview?
You arrive to a conference room and are introduced to the process. You are given some papers to fill out and a number which is your turn number. Then the interviews start. you get 2 minutes to read instructions and then 7 minutes for the activity/interview.

They do not give a tour but they do have students willing to give you one after the interview if you want.

They said for us who interviews Jan 10 and Jan 17 we could start hearing back in early feb by snail mail

Hey guys I just received an II invite to UCC I have it feb 14th, Keep your heads up on getting an II i just received it yesterday, anyone else interviewing on this date. Also does anyone know how well they prep their students for step1, i heard SJB curriculum is geared to passing the step1, is that true?

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows the status of UCC accreditation, I read in 2012 they had been giving a warning and this 2013-2014 is when they are supposed to be surveyed again by the LCME, if anyone knows anything about if they are at risk of going on probation or losing accreditation please share. I know SJB is on probation and i read they were being surveyed by LCME this week, so will UCC also be surveyed this coming week or have they already for the 2013-2014 year and if anyone knows how well the survey went for SJB, that would be helpful as well, thanks everyone. :)

Hey guys I just received an II invite to UCC I have it feb 14th, Keep your heads up on getting an II i just received it yesterday, anyone else interviewing on this date. Also does anyone know how well they prep their students for step1, i heard SJB curriculum is geared to passing the step1, is that true?
being compeltely honest I wouldnt trusts SJB, the schools more focused on passing step 1 are PSM and UCC

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knows the status of UCC accreditation, I read in 2012 they had been giving a warning and this 2013-2014 is when they are supposed to be surveyed again by the LCME, if anyone knows anything about if they are at risk of going on probation or losing accreditation please share. I know SJB is on probation and i read they were being surveyed by LCME this week, so will UCC also be surveyed this coming week or have they already for the 2013-2014 year and if anyone knows how well the survey went for SJB, that would be helpful as well, thanks everyone. :)
as far as they told us I think they were granted accreditation again and I had not heard anything about them being on probabtion

being compeltely honest I wouldnt trusts SJB, the schools more focused on passing step 1 are PSM and UCC
Oh really, that is good to know. Do you know ppl who go to UCC and if so, what do they say as far as what they do to help with step1 or what they do and dont like of the school itself?

Oh really, that is good to know. Do you know ppl who go to UCC and if so, what do they say as far as what they do to help with step1 or what they do and dont like of the school itself?
I know people but I dont talk to them or have heard anything from them, they like the smaller class size and the fact that they are very student oriented

II for 2/21!! Thanks everyone for suggestion; I emailed admissions last week with status request and update on my classes and got email today with invitation. Really looking forward to it. What places are you staying at? On Bayamon or in San Juan? I'll be using public transportation/cab.

II for 2/21!! Thanks everyone for suggestion; I emailed admissions last week with status request and update on my classes and got email today with invitation. Really looking forward to it. What places are you staying at? On Bayamon or in San Juan? I'll be using public transportation/cab.
Congrats! I emailed admissions last week as well and hoping to get good news soon.

Last edited:
Thanks!! Crossing fingers and toes for you. We could be classmates.
It would be nice if we become classmates though... Have you had any news from SJB? I was looking for the step 1 passing rate for UCC and SJB and was unsuccessful finding them... Do you know anything about step 1 passing rate for both schools?

It would be nice if we become classmates though... Have you had any news from SJB? I was looking for the step 1 passing rate for UCC and SJB and was unsuccessful finding them... Do you know anything about step 1 passing rate for both schools?
Hey guys I have been trying to find out as much of these two schools as you have, since I may have to choose between the two. I came across this post and thought i would share it and if anyone knows anything about it, it be nice to know... It would help a lot....thanks!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...bautista-advice-needed.1053090/#post-14861842

Hey guys I have been trying to find out as much of these two schools as you have, since I may have to choose between the two. I came across this post and thought i would share it and if anyone knows anything about it, it be nice to know... It would help a lot....thanks!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...bautista-advice-needed.1053090/#post-14861842
For some reason i can no longer access this thread, someone must have complained and took it down. Someone who is a member of student doctor posted emails that were sent to him/her from SJB because they are a current medical student or was during the time of the whole accreditation loss. The SJB student talks about how SJB did not say the whole truth about losing accreditation to incoming students that year and then told them after they had already accepted and started with the school. It also talks about issues with the upkeep of the school and how faculty isnt always honest in a timely manner with the med students about this issue and how many students had been in law suits with the school when this issue happened. The student showed two emails that looked credible and real and said they were merely posting them because they felt as a med student there other people should know etc. I dont know exactly how credible this person was or how much of it isnt exaggerated but the emails did look credible and it seems fishy to me that it is no longer a valid thread to see anymore. Student doctor is a thread for people to share their opinions and discuss anything and it seems and by no means was that thread offensive or did the person who posted that information vulgar in any way. I would like to find out why it is no longer available to be viewed, but anyways best of luck to all of you and med school is a critical decision and I like many of you want to know most about any school whether good or bad to make a decision.

So.. The comittee meets every other thursday/friday. Acceptance letters are sent that following Tuesday :)