2013-2014 VCOM Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Med Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohokies2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my letter of acceptance (email) about an hour ago. I'm pumped and plan on being there in July.

Anyone else out there? What collection of undergraduate programs/backgrounds/etc. will we have? I'm a 2005 Virginia Tech graduate and couldn't be happier going back to Blacksurg.

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! I am graduating VT this semester. Haven't heard from them yet but Alisa said she thinks she will be answering me within the next two weeks. When did you send in your application?

I found out about a month ago and I'm really excited! Any suggestions on housing??

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied prior to the deadline - anyone know how many students the program consists of or anything like that? Application turn around time for those that have been accepted?

So glad I find someone else who will be attending VCOM post bacc in July! I found out I was accepted Friday and I am so excited!! There is so much to do in less than two months. Anyone looking for a place to stay or have found one yet? I've been looking at craigslist but it would be nice to live with someone who is actually part of the program.

Are both of you local to the area? Or at least from the Carolina's or Virginia?

And may I ask when you applied to the program and were complete?

Does anyone know status of the Fall class as far as class size? Full or still notifying acceptances? Do out of staters have any chance?

Hey guys, I just got accepted several days ago and was wondering, are there any recommended spots for living for the post-bacc students? I'm searching for housing but it looks like most of them start in August, which is no bueno.

Much thanks.

I guess I haven't checked this discussion often enough.
I applied right around 1 March and have been a Virginia resident for a little while now.
For housing, you may want to look to the Knollwood Reserve if they still have units available. Its a brand-new complex that opens July 15th, so you can get a lease that starts a week before classes. A little pricey there, but if you can afford it, it is located right across the street from VCOM.

I guess I haven't checked this discussion often enough.
I applied right around 1 March and have been a Virginia resident for a little while now.
For housing, you may want to look to the Knollwood Reserve if they still have units available. Its a brand-new complex that opens July 15th, so you can get a lease that starts a week before classes. A little pricey there, but if you can afford it, it is located right across the street from VCOM.

Thanks. I've been looking for places but its all reviews and little actual pricing.

Hi everyone!

If you need help searching for housing, here are two options that I know of:

1. The VCOM Post-Bacc website has a housing tab on the left hand side. From there you can join the VCOM housing listserv.

2. VT has an off campus housing website. (http://www.studentcenters.vt.edu/vtoch/) There you can search for a roommate or a place to stay. (I have used this option in the past and recommend it)

Hope this helps!! I can't wait to meet everyone in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting worried man. I was completed on the 24th of last month and have heard nothing...

Don't want to bug them by asking when the decisions will be out.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Getting worried man. I was completed on the 24th of last month and have heard nothing...

Don't want to bug them by asking when the decisions will be out.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Me. And I applied around that time too...

I applied right before the deadline and spoke to Alisa. She confirmed that all of my application materials were completed and I should receive a decision no later than the first week of June.

Anyone hear anything recently? Its been quite sometime since being complete...

Anyone hear anything recently? Its been quite sometime since being complete...

All paperwork and stuff needs to be in soon, and it's been a pain finding a place. I would call again and try to get them to give you an answer soon. Just my advice!

Very weird - I emailed her and she said my app is still in line to be processed and reviewed

Very weird - I emailed her and she said my app is still in line to be processed and reviewed

i called 2 weeks ago they said they were behind due to influx of apps at last minute so would be another 2-3 weeks at minimum..so i guess this week/next week we should hear something?

Dis u end up getting accepted?

Yeah, I got accepted almost two weeks ago. I called and said I really, really needed to know since a deadline for a program was a few days away, and I got an acceptance the next day. However, in good news, she also told me the class wasn't even half full yet. So, it sounds like they're enjoying their summer break ;)

Well congrats on the acceptance - im not sure that I have much of a shot anyways since im from NY

I just got my acceptance last Friday and now looking for a place to stay!!!!! Super excited.

Can u tell me your state of residence by any chance?

does anyone know if there will be a mcat prep course for this program? Thanks!

I just got my acceptance letter today and I'm really excited to be going!

Hey girls,
I got accepted to the program too. Let me know if you are looking for a female roomate. you can contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss more about it. and congratulations to everyone who got accepted :)

1. We were supposed to have MCAT prep, but did not.
2. Be prepared to work harder than undergrad, and warn family and friends that you'll be busy this year.
3. Less than half of us were accepted to VCOM, so this is NOT a "ticket" to med school.
4. Form study groups of 3-5 people. Almost all the students who did get in studied this way.
5. The first semester GPA is by far the most important factor in being accepted. DON'T assume you can "catch up" during Spring semester. There were plenty of students with 4.0 in the Spring, but unfortunately had already missed the boat.
6. VCOM truly can accept ALL of the postbac students, so make the decision easy for them when your application is reviewed in December.

I hope my post helps. I didn't want to sugarcoat anything. Give 100% and it will pay off. Don't waste a year and accumulate the financial debt for nothing!

Good luck and if I think of anything else I'll post it.

1. We were supposed to have MCAT prep, but did not.
2. Be prepared to work harder than undergrad, and warn family and friends that you'll be busy this year.
3. Less than half of us were accepted to VCOM, so this is NOT a "ticket" to med school.
4. Form study groups of 3-5 people. Almost all the students who did get in studied this way.
5. The first semester GPA is by far the most important factor in being accepted. DON'T assume you can "catch up" during Spring semester. There were plenty of students with 4.0 in the Spring, but unfortunately had already missed the boat.
6. VCOM truly can accept ALL of the postbac students, so make the decision easy for them when your application is reviewed in December.

I hope my post helps. I didn't want to sugarcoat anything. Give 100% and it will pay off. Don't waste a year and accumulate the financial debt for nothing!

Good luck and if I think of anything else I'll post it.

Interesting. Did those in first semester not get in because they did not achieve the 3.6 or 25 MCAT? Did you get accepted/not, and what were your stats? (If you don't mind me asking...)

Interesting. Did those in first semester not get in because they did not achieve the 3.6 or 25 MCAT? Did you get accepted/not, and what were your stats? (If you don't mind me asking...)

Yes, if you had least a 3.6 and 24 MCAT (and you remembered to actually submit your secondary application on time) then you got in over the winter holiday. And yes, I met the requirements and got in. I had a sense of relief throughout the second semester, but I was still required to maintain at least a 3.4 and no C's. Also, I highly suggest taking the MCAT at the beginning of the Fall semester (late August early September).
One more thing, I was on campus Thursday and heard there are still many spots to be filled for this year's post bacc program!

Thanks for the update on the spot vacancies - do out of staters like from NY have chances with VCOM to your knowledge? Any classmates from up north?

Hi. I am looking for a third Roomate, preferably female. I will be starting post bacc this July with everyone in the forum. Contact me for more details or any interest. [email protected]

Thanks for the update on the spot vacancies - do out of staters like from NY have chances with VCOM to your knowledge? Any classmates from up north?

There were plenty of people from states north of Virginia. Here are a few: Michigan, Maine, New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio. However, the majority of people were from Virginia, and the Carolinas.

Is there a Facebook for accepted students? I also hate not knowing what's going on in just a few weeks!

Have you been accepted? Im still waiting/wondering as well....

It'll be nice if we have a fb page or something, I need to look for housing, etc...

"VCOM Post-Bacc 2013-2014" on Facebook

It's an open group, so students should be able to add themselves!

Have you been accepted? Im still waiting/wondering as well....

I have been accepted, yes, and I will be attending. They are completely insistent on forms being in on time, so it's crazy there are so many people who have not been accepted! Good luck to you :]

"VCOM Post-Bacc 2013-2014" on Facebook

It's an open group, so students should be able to add themselves!

I can't find it. Nothing comes up for VCOM post-bacc or anything.

I was accepted this morning but I don't think I will be going. Just wanted to drop in and say though to those who are going to VCOM that I did my undergrad at Virginia Tech and I loved it. Best 4 years of my life. But an odd but totally serious warning: if you are allergic to pollen then be prepared. I'm not kidding, I've always been allergic to pollen but Blacksburg is located in a valley surrounded by mountains, and in spring time all the pollen and ragweed floats down into the city. My white corolla on several mornings used to be completely yellow!

This had a pretty severe impact on my academics at the time as I just was constantly dealing with some sort of illness in the spring...I even developed asthma and a bad throat infection one semester. I've lived all over the USA and Zyrtec/Claritin worked fine for me, but not in Blacksburg. My advice would be to not get a cheap place to save $70-100 a month if you have pollen allergies...get a nice clean apartment with properly functional AC, go down with an air filter for your room, etc. Just thought I'd share.

How did you find out you were accepted? Snail mail? Email?

Just got my letter of acceptance (email) about an hour ago. I'm pumped and plan on being there in July.

Anyone else out there? What collection of undergraduate programs/backgrounds/etc. will we have? I'm a 2005 Virginia Tech graduate and couldn't be happier going back to Blacksurg.
I also just got accepted, still figuring out if I will accept because I am from Los Angeles, and not knowing anyone in Virginia and having to find an apartment in two weeks and furnish it will be extremely difficult.

Classes start in 2 weeks? That sucks - guess I can cross vcom off my list of possibilities - apparently it just doesnt seem like its going to happen