2013-2014 Wake Forest Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here are some numbers I found from last year's WF Thread. No idea if they are accurate though!

7,400 primary applications submitted
2,450 secondary applications submitted
540 interviews
225 accepted
120 matriculated.

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received!

Thanks for posting! For the answer at least two... are people gonna answer all three, or do they really just want us to answer two?

I'm also wondering about this. I'm definitely answering the first 2, and I feel like what I wrote already addressed some of the core qualities listed. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received!

I'm also wondering about this. I'm definitely answering the first 2, and I feel like what I wrote already addressed some of the core qualities listed. Thoughts?

Ditto. I plan on answering the first two essays and skipping the third.

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).

I don't understand this one here anyone can clarify this?

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).

I don't understand this one here anyone can clarify this?

That's only part of the prompt, here's the whole thing:
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 14 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).
Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement.

Ohh now that makes sense, when the first person posted it they had a space between those two parts so that whole thing is number 3. Well skipping it anyway so works for me. Although now that I think about it I wrote about cultural competence for U of Toledo so might just edit and reuse.

The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 14 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).
Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement.

Good news everyone! The first years are in orientation now and it was just announced that Wake Forest is switching to a Pass/Fail grading scheme, at least for the first year.

Good news everyone! The first years are in orientation now and it was just announced that Wake Forest is switching to a Pass/Fail grading scheme, at least for the first year.

Awesome!

Thanks for the complete question. Also, would you or anyone else mind sharing the actual AMCAS link to the 14 core competencies? There is some technical difficult logging in to the actual secondary application portal for me.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just making sure, the secondary says "answer at least two" right? It doesn't just say "answer two" correct? I just went ahead and answered all three of them but I forgot the specific instructions.

Just making sure, the secondary says "answer at least two" right? It doesn't just say "answer two" correct? I just went ahead and answered all three of them but I forgot the specific instructions.
Yeah, I answered all three of them as well. It said to pick at least two, so that sounded like the option of doing all of them was open as well.

I pressed the 'submit' button but received no indication that my application or payment was received. I should expect an email right. I don't want to pay twice unnecessarily.

I pressed the 'submit' button but received no indication that my application or payment was received. I should expect an email right. I don't want to pay twice unnecessarily.

I didn't receive an e mail after. But when I logged back in it immediately said that it was submitted

I was verified on the 12th and I still haven't heard a peep from wake yet. OOS 3.9/35. Have I been screened out or am I just being annoying and impatient? haha

I was verified on the 12th and I still haven't heard a peep from wake yet. OOS 3.9/35. Have I been screened out or am I just being annoying and impatient? haha

I honestly doubt you would be screened out with those stats. I believe when I looked at my status prior to receiving a secondary that they said they were sending them in batches by region so they probably haven't got around to your region yet. Just my two cents worth.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write about the last prompt. When it says don't duplicate information, does that mean don't talk about activities/experiences you've already mentioned in AMCAS?

Unless you wrote something very stupid in your PS, you won't be screened out at any schools with those stats

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to write about the last prompt. When it says don't duplicate information, does that mean don't talk about activities/experiences you've already mentioned in AMCAS?

I wrote about a high school experience.

I honestly doubt you would be screened out with those stats. I believe when I looked at my status prior to receiving a secondary that they said they were sending them in batches by region so they probably haven't got around to your region yet. Just my two cents worth.

Unless you wrote something very stupid in your PS, you won't be screened out at any schools with those stats

Yeah, I guess I was just being paranoid. I'm pretty confident my PS was good so its probably due to my region. Am I supposed to have access to the status page by now?

I just got an email for the status page.

How many of you guys who received secondary actually did all three of the required essays? I wonder if doing only two will look any worse than people who did three in terms of chances for an II.

How many of you guys who received secondary actually did all three of the required essays? I wonder if doing only two will look any worse than people who did three in terms of chances for an II.

You can choose not to do a required essay? :confused:

I'm wondering the same thing - Both of the first essays look like they could address some of of the essay topics for the 3rd essay... And most of what I could write in the 3rd essay would seem to repeat my AMCAS.

I only did two. I didn't have anything new to say, so I'm not going to just spew forth words without a purpose.

Got an email that my app is complete and essentially that I might not hear from them until April. Lol.

Hey everyone, just as a courtesy reminder, when people get secondary essay questions please PM the OP so that it can be updated. It's difficult for posters in the future to hunt through the various pages when looking for the secondaries.

Just got my secondary!

Does talking about my research and what I've done in research counts as "scientific inquiry" for the third question?

Also just got a secondary - anyone else know how many applicants they screen out at the secondary phase? (/how many of those they interview)

Just got the secondary. Was worried, lol. Wake is a top choice for me!!

Submitted 7/20
Complete 7/22

Waiting game begins for Wake. Fingers crossed.

Got the secondary this morning. Excited to see how things go here!

Reserved for the essay question. PM me when it is available and I will update. GL all.

Secondary prompts (required essays):

1. Wake Forest School of Medicine believes that the quality of an educational experience depends in part on the differences of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the students who comprise each class. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class? (400 words or less).

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?

3. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 14 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).

I'm going to sound stupid but

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?

For this question, do you think it is okay to talk about one specific event and not multiple events.

I'm going to sound stupid but

For this question, do you think it is okay to talk about one specific event and not multiple events.

I did...

By status change or email? Or both? Just want to know if I should continue to check the status page!

Also complete 7/22/13. They send you a complete e-mail.

Last edited:
By status change or email? Or both? Just want to know if I should continue to check the status page!

That was an email. My status page is the "please allow 1-2 weeks for your file to be reviewed" message.

Awesome! Thanks :)

Actually I just checked my status and it switched to "application is complete. interviews are by invitation between September and March." I didn't get an email about that status change, so I suggest checking your status regularly.

So that means they've finished reviewing my file. This is the "hold" status based on last year's thread, but they haven't sent out interviews yet. I believe they'll start sending out interviews this week. Hoping for a status change!